chuyskywalker
Admin
+2,439|6845|"Frisco"

I just installed a caching service on player profile pages so that they are generated at player update. The cached version of the page is served instead of connecting to the database and causing loads and loads of stress.

This means that, overall, things should speed up a bit since the player pages are pretty heavy hitters in terms of load generation.

The downside to this is the removal of dynamic content on the page -- namely, there is no longer the "player is online at" status. Sorry that had to eat it for the greater good of the server -- I've got to streamline the code and load on Gibson.
daddyofdeath
A REAL Combat Engineer in the house
+187|6251|UK Bradford W,Yorks. Age 27
Nice.
Simon
basically
+838|6655|UK
I was having trouble loading the stats page.. works now
Cheers
liquidat0r
wtf.
+2,223|6625|UK
Could the "is playing on X server" be changed to "Last played <Map Name> on <Server Name>" perhaps? That way it does not need to be dynamic and you're not loosing any features.
chuyskywalker
Admin
+2,439|6845|"Frisco"

"Last played on" isn't really what it would be, sadly, it would be "was playing on X when the stats updated last"
TheDarkRaven
ATG's First Disciple
+263|6622|Birmingham, UK

chuyskywalker wrote:

"Last played on" isn't really what it would be, sadly, it would be "was playing on X when the stats updated last"
Thanks anyway, Chuy! Nice to know you're always working on streamlining Gibson and keeping everything at its best!
liquidat0r
wtf.
+2,223|6625|UK

chuyskywalker wrote:

Ah, yes. True.
HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5959|Washington DC
You could provide a link to Game-Monitor that searches the player's username on BF2?
KylieTastic
Games, Girls, Guinness
+85|6450|Cambridge, UK

A sad day....

If you want to reduce load on the server more (and reduce your bandwidth usage and speed things up for users) you should add a HTTP header expiry to the 'static'ish images so you don't have to server up 200 images every-time.... on IIS its dead easy but I've heard its possible with an addon module to Apache (but I've never done it). None of the images change so could be set to expire quite a few days/weeks.

Also if trackr has lots and/or large static images setting the expiry on them saves you load, bandwidth and time for users.
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6451|The Twilight Zone
We have xfire so no worries that the "player is online at" function is gone.
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
chuyskywalker
Admin
+2,439|6845|"Frisco"

KylieTastic wrote:

A sad day....

If you want to reduce load on the server more (and reduce your bandwidth usage and speed things up for users) you should add a HTTP header expiry to the 'static'ish images so you don't have to server up 200 images every-time.... on IIS its dead easy but I've heard its possible with an addon module to Apache (but I've never done it). None of the images change so could be set to expire quite a few days/weeks.

Also if trackr has lots and/or large static images setting the expiry on them saves you load, bandwidth and time for users.
Static files are served from a dummy machine running lighttpd, the hands down best server for doing loads of "stupid" file transfers and 304'ing of content. The load doesn't come from bandwidth, but processor memory usage of connecting to the database, doing lots of intensive queries for stats data, parsing, formatting, and outputting it.
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6491|N. Ireland
Cool!
G3|Genius
Pope of BF2s
+355|6624|Sea to globally-cooled sea
so how would i find out who's playing when?!
ATC
+58|6742|...
wooooot
Noobpatty
ʎʇʇɐdqoou
+194|6351|West NY
lol its okay I already used it to stalk firestarter so I'm good, not needed anymore
ph4s3
engineer
+34|6826|Texas
Chuy,

HurricaИe wrote:

You could provide a link to Game-Monitor that searches the player's username on BF2?
I vote for HurricaИe's idea...  Here's the URL:

Code:

http://www.game-monitor.com/search.php?search=NAMEGOESHERE&type=player&game=bf2

"NAMEGOESHERE" is the injected player name from the player stat page...
I think I might make that my web site link now that I think about it...

I wonder if Game-Monitor.com would allow scraping or direct connection via API or something so you could run the same query and post the data yourself instead of linking to it.

Oh Oh Oh, here's an idea... give GM a "sponsored by" ad placement right next to the info... such as this:

ph4s3 [last played | currently playing] on [server name @ date, time] -- sponsored by game-monitor.com w/ linked banner or something

Surely they'd be interested in such a thing as you have loads of traffic for that kind of thing and it seems to fit naturally between what you guys do (persistent player data) vs what they do (live server data).

Perhaps you guys could even do a player-based link exchange?  You provide last known rank badge or something to their player listings and they link their player names to your stats pages and you link your player names to their player/server searches while displaying the info directly as well????

Seems like a good idea anyway.  At least at 3:30am that is.

What do you think, Chuy?

Edit: spelling, grammar

Last edited by ph4s3 (2008-02-16 01:42:13)

stkhoplite
Banned
+564|6477|Sheffield-England

chuyskywalker wrote:

the greater good
The greater good

Sorry, i was just watching hot fuzz
ph4s3
engineer
+34|6826|Texas
Chuy -- regarding my request above about getting info from Game-Monitor.com for people locations / server info, they've apparently got an SDK out already... don't know if that'd help w/ a web site or not but it's there nonetheless...

http://www.game-monitor.com/sdk/

edit - php documentation at:
http://www.game-monitor.com/sdk/phpdoc/

Last edited by ph4s3 (2008-02-16 09:10:30)

ph4s3
engineer
+34|6826|Texas
also, someone has already posted about something being wrong with the stats page... you might want to update the countdown timer on when their data will be updated even if it isn't a live database hit... the comment was something about it saying "next update in 2 hours" for the last hour.
ethrion
+25|6391|Hong Kong @ the moment
Yeah that was my post. It always says "will next update 02.00.00" "last update 00.00,00"

Anyway, Im sorry but im totally lost. I guess its just me cos everyone else seems to understand the change, but how do I view my updated stats then? Its been hours and no amount of refreshing is updating them... Im obviously missing something here...

Last edited by ethrion (2008-02-16 12:10:34)

Nikola Bathory
Karkand T-90 0wnage
+163|6784|Bulgaria

ethrion wrote:

Yeah that was my post. It always says "will next update 02.00.00" "last update 00.00,00"

Anyway, Im sorry but im totally lost. I guess its just me cos everyone else seems to understand the change, but how do I view my updated stats then? Its been hours and no amount of refreshing is updating them... Im obviously missing something here...
yes, no updates for me either!!!
ethrion
+25|6391|Hong Kong @ the moment

Nikola Bathory wrote:

ethrion wrote:

yes, no updates for me either!!!
Others in this thread seem to know whats going on and how to update the stats, so what are we missing?
geNius
..!.,
+144|6439|SoCal

ethrion wrote:

Others in this thread seem to know whats going on and how to update the stats, so what are we missing?
I haven't updated in 2 days.

Last edited by geNius (2008-02-16 15:50:46)

https://srejects.com/genius/srejects.png
Markooo*Est
Previously known as CC-Marley
+334|6145|Estonia
And fix that " 65535 " bug that shows if player have more than that number of kills with some equipment weapon
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6656|BC, Canada

geNius wrote:

ethrion wrote:

I haven't updated in 2 days.
neither have I.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard