PCI-E or AGP

Pci-e76%76% - 46
Agp13%13% - 8
Psssht, it runs BF2 (just!) then keep it!10%10% - 6
Total: 60
Locarno
Boom!Headshot?
+2|6838|Scotland!
OK, I got a pc that was OWNAGE maybe 1 or 2 years ago.

However it is AGP.  Should I upgrade it with AGP componants or should I just buy a new computer thats PCI-E?

I mean for graphics, they only go up to a 6600GT, which is good.  (waayyyyy better than that 5200FX i have now), but If I'm to upgrade, will i regret not going for that 7800GTX?  So.

Cheaper, but crapper AGP
or
More expensive, longer lasting, more upto date PCI-E.

(oh and it does run BF2.  Loading times are years, draw distance is minimal, and everything looks like floating blocks)

Thanks for any and all input

Locarno.
Paladus902
The Last Man Standing
+1|6784
You might as well upgrade for the future as AGP is a dwindling technology. Many companies now simply make PCI-E, so its pretty much worth it if you want to upgrade.

And if you have the money to fork out on that 7800 card, than go for it, because its one of the best cards you can buy for pixel pushing poke .
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6714
u dont need to get a new PC, just a new board (unless some hardware of ur existing are incompetible w/ ur board). PCI-E = the future, and its faster.  u can get all the new cards in PCI-E
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
iLLmatic
+0|6748|uk
pci-e = ultra l33t   heh.. its the only way computing is going to go, so invest for the furture - basically all AGP mobos will be out of production within the next year (or 2)
atlvolunteer
PKMMMMMMMMMM
+27|6769|Atlanta, GA USA

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

u dont need to get a new PC, just a new board (unless some hardware of ur existing are incompetible w/ ur board). PCI-E = the future, and its faster.  u can get all the new cards in PCI-E
Right, if you know what you are doing, you can use a lot of your old components.  Probably all you'd need would be:
1. CPU
2. Mobo
3. Memory
4. Video card
If you currently have a decent sound card, you can use that.  Also, pretty much all Mobos have onboard LAN.  Just make sure your new Mobo still has PATA connectors.
Locarno
Boom!Headshot?
+2|6838|Scotland!

atlvolunteer wrote:

Right, if you know what you are doing,.
haha I shou;d have stopped reading there.

OK, I'm not a total componant noob, I know what everything is etc, and I could possibly give a go at fitting it together (or get my mate to do it).. It's what is compatable and what isnt.

So what you're all saying is save up for a bit longed, and buy a complete new set of PCI-E, because AGP suckz0rz.

I mean 6600GT would do me.. but theres a certain droolage factor that comes with the 7800GTX.
BurlySmurf
+1|6752|Nellis AFB
I have the 6800GT PCI-E card and in an ASUS SLI board. Game rights perfectly fine with everything on high. I will be getting a second 6800GT and running them SLI. So that I can keep everything on high and goto a higher resolution.
Stoned_Smurfz
The Mushroom Man
+1|6844|Australia
urm... depends on what you already have to what you will need to get... could be as simple as just getting a m/b and video card.. urm and a new powersuply.. maybe... like i said depends on what you got
-_{MoW}_-Assasin
+13|6726|Australia
AGP is being phased out, it will be gone in a few more years

So might as well jump of to PCI-E now, and not need to later
kR4MR
3 Tours Of 'Nam And All I Got Was This Lousy Forum
+3|6734|Aus
Alright, how about doing what you should have done in the first place and listing all your components and giving us a budget!?!?!?!?!

PCI-e SLI mobo = $150
that should help you on your way partsnoob
[FB]Eraser
Back in battle after 3-year break
+39|6719|Switzerland
There are still existing very good AGP cards, but I would switch to PCI-E. I have done a few weeks ago and you can get affordable PCI-E Cards, that are just awesome, if u compare them with a AGP card in the same price range. At the moment I have an ASUS Extreme AX700Pro card (ATI chipset with 256MB) and I can play BF2 easy with teh graphic settings on maxium.
Locarno
Boom!Headshot?
+2|6838|Scotland!

<{SoE}>Agamemnar wrote:

AGP is old technology... why is there a vote on this?
the simple reason that I said, AGP would suffice, but should I save up for longer so many my PC more Future-proof.
-101-InvaderZim
+42|6841|Waikato, Aotearoa
Go for PCX. its the future. On a hi note you can keep your DDR RAM. Most of the PCX boards out there arnt using DDR2 yet
kilroy0097
Kilroy Is Here!
+81|6841|Bryan/College Station, TX
Having just done a sort of upgrade on my older AGP computer I can say that it depends on the amount of money you have.

If you have a decent newer style AGP motherboard and you know you have a pretty good CPU and 2 Gb of memory then I say go on Ebay and buy a new X850 XT AGP for about $275. It will cost you much less than buying a completely new system.

For those that currently have AGP there is no reason to go to PCI-E unless you plan on building a brand new system completely. Perhaps your case and powersupply are good to go. But it means getting a new mainboard, CPU, memory and graphics card. You are looking at easily about $800 or more worth of new hardware.

So it all depends. How deep are your pockets?
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis
nitro92
I cheat.
+-6|6799|Sydney, Australia
i got a agp aswell but pcie i way betr cos the 7800 series is on it only and same with the X1800 series aswell sux how they didnt put it on  agp but i think all new gfx cards now wil b put on pcie only i think
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6769|PNW

kilroy0097 wrote:

For those that currently have AGP there is no reason to go to PCI-E unless you plan on building a brand new system completely. Perhaps your case and powersupply are good to go. But it means getting a new mainboard, CPU, memory and graphics card. You are looking at easily about $800 or more worth of new hardware.
7800 and x1800 would be pointless on AGP. If you have an AGP system, leave it as it is. Wait. Wait, wait, and wait. In a few more months, you'd be sad if you bought a (current) PCI-e motherboard.

And no, upgrading to a new motherboard doesn't necessarily mean having to replace the processor. For instance, the A8V Deluxe is a S939 AGP board, yet for some reason people seem to associate S939 with being exclusively PCI-e.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-01-19 15:05:29)

matula
+0|6758
to the original poster, how could a pc with an FX5200 video card be OWNAGE 1 or 2 years ago. That card SUCKED when it came out 3 years ago.
1NfE5T
I'll sleep when i'm dead
+11|6715|Houston,Texas

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

kilroy0097 wrote:

7800 and x1800 would be pointless on AGP. If you have an AGP system, leave it as it is. Wait. Wait, wait, and wait. In a few more months, you'd be sad if you bought a (current) PCI-e motherboard.

And no, upgrading to a new motherboard doesn't necessarily mean having to replace the processor. For instance, the A8V Deluxe is a S939 AGP board, yet for some reason people seem to associate S939 with being exclusively PCI-e.
Well as you know there is ppl who dont have loads of money just lying around for a whole PC overhaul. Do you know that over 65% of gamers are still on there AGP systems? Did you know nVidia is releasing a 7800GS AGP next month? So to all you AGP holders, there's good news abound just upgrade your RAm to 2 gigs, and a 7800GS AGP and you will be golden.

Last edited by 1NfE5T (2006-01-25 21:12:36)

Maj.Do
+85|6749|good old CA
theres no way a 7800GS can be as good as a 7800Gt right?
1NfE5T
I'll sleep when i'm dead
+11|6715|Houston,Texas
No, but it will be the fastest AGP card to have.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6714

Maj.Do wrote:

theres no way a 7800GS can be as good as a 7800Gt right?
nope, no way coz its running slower, agp=8X and pcie= 16X
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
1NfE5T
I'll sleep when i'm dead
+11|6715|Houston,Texas
Did you know that current 16X is not using all that bandwith yet?
BadDevotions
+0|6663|Lahndan! init!
Hi,

I've just done an upgrade and bought an ASRock Dual Sata II and an AMD 3700+ 939.

The motherboard takes 939 chips and has both an AGP and PCIE slots. Handy for the moment as I can't afford to upgrade my 6600GT (AGP).

So, for me I made the jump to 64bit but only needed to buy a chip and motherboard. I can then upgrade my video card when I want and have the flexibility of both AGP and PCIE. Oh and Bf2 runs sweeeet. 90 fps on 1024x768, all on medium + 2xAA with full draw distance

Hope this helps you.
-=|BW|=-Hollow_Moon
+5|6752
You can still buy some very good cards for AGP. Like the X850XT or 6800GT & all quite affordably. Its always cheaper to upgrade than start new.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard