TC.Troy
Let the rough side drag
+111|6578

Ayumiz wrote:

Is NASCAR like a 100 lap race round some stadium?
eh...

no

its like 188 to 500 laps (depending on race length and tracksize) around a closed oval or semi oval track (save the 2 road course events).  At Bristol Motor Speedway, it is indeed like they are running inside a stadium.  The track is .5 mile in length, and the grandstands hold 165,000 people...

Kinda like watching a gladiator tourney in ancient Rome hehe
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6626|London, England
So today there's gonna be a Nationwide series 300 mile race at Daytona. And then I'm guessing the Daytona 500 is the first Sprint Cup race of the season (that counts) right?

Hmm, wonder how big the difference is between Nationwide and Sprint
TC.Troy
Let the rough side drag
+111|6578

Strngs012 wrote:

TC.Troy wrote:

Only thing either one could ever drive was a truck.
Geoff Bodine had some trouble with his truck the first year they raced at Daytona.
Yeah, I was watching that race...brutal wreck that was, Geoff is lucky to be alive.

Its yet another testiment to the way these cars/trucks are built.
Strngs012
Could I have 10,000 marbles please
+40|6423|Florida
The night race at Bristol is the best race of the year.
TC.Troy
Let the rough side drag
+111|6578

Mek-Izzle wrote:

So today there's gonna be a Nationwide series 300 mile race at Daytona. And then I'm guessing the Daytona 500 is the first Sprint Cup race of the season (that counts) right?

Hmm, wonder how big the difference is between Nationwide and Sprint
Yes.

What difference?
TC.Troy
Let the rough side drag
+111|6578

Strngs012 wrote:

The night race at Bristol is the best race of the year.
Sold out Twice a year, every year
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6626|London, England

TC.Troy wrote:

What difference?
nvm, there's a post on the previous page that states the technical differences etc..

oh wait it was you

Sprint Cup uses cars like the Chevy Impala, Ford Fusion, Dodge Avenger, Toyota Camry.  You will see the same cars in the Nationwide series (save the chevy, its a Monte Carlo there), but they have a shorter wheelbase, less power, and far more downforce.
TC.Troy
Let the rough side drag
+111|6578

Mek-Izzle wrote:

TC.Troy wrote:

What difference?
nvm, there's a post on the previous page that states the technical differences etc..

oh wait it was you

Sprint Cup uses cars like the Chevy Impala, Ford Fusion, Dodge Avenger, Toyota Camry.  You will see the same cars in the Nationwide series (save the chevy, its a Monte Carlo there), but they have a shorter wheelbase, less power, and far more downforce.
ah ha hehe

This year, the Sprint Cup series have reconfigured the racecar.  In all other previous years, the cars used in the Nationwide series looked the same as Sprint Cup cars, save a very few minor aero differences and then only at certain tracks.  Starting in 08' Sprint cup have gone to what has been dubbed the C.O.T. (car of tommorow).  Now the cars in the 2 series vary widely in there appearance.
TC.Troy
Let the rough side drag
+111|6578
If and I stress IF...Toyota wins on Sunday, it will not be a first for a foreign manufacturer in NASCAR's top series. (Its been done in the Nationwide series already...and Toyota practicly dominate the truck series).

Now who was the manufacturer?  (no fair looking it up hehe)
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6450|The Land of Scott Walker
No pop quiz this early on Saturday.   I can't pull that factoid from my brain.

Edit: Jaguar yes?

Last edited by Stingray24 (2008-02-16 07:12:11)

TC.Troy
Let the rough side drag
+111|6578

Stingray24 wrote:

No pop quiz this early on Saturday.   I can't pull that factoid from my brain.

Edit: Jaguar yes?
you looked it up hehe

yeah, its Jag.  1954 I think.
Stingray24
Nah, I'm just that good ... yeah I looked it up.
TC.Troy
Let the rough side drag
+111|6578

Stingray24 wrote:

Nah, I'm just that good ... yeah I looked it up.

:p
TC.Troy
Let the rough side drag
+111|6578
Breaking news...

http://www.nascar.com/2008/news/headlin … index.html

As I've said before, I respect the man for what he has done (done being the key word here), but he is finished as a competitive racecar driver imo.

I see him running some Nationwide series races, but that'll be about it.

This is truly one open-wheller I never expected much from tbh.
Strngs012
+40|6423|Florida

TC.Troy wrote:

Breaking news...

As I've said before, I respect the man for what he has done (done being the key word here), but he is finished as a competitive racecar driver imo.

That doesn't surprise me. They all looked at the success of Juan Pablo Montoya last year and figured it wouldn't be that difficult. I guess they just thought NASCAR was something they could just jump in and make a ton of money at. Look at all the open wheel drivers that have started driving in NASCAR. There all struggling, Frachitti, Hornish, Carpantier, Villenueve. out of those I just mentioned I think Franchitti and Carpantier will have some success, maybe Hornish but if he keeps wrecking cars Penske will dump him. What people don't realize about Montoya is that he has got that raw talent where he can adapt to anything. I'd love to see try some dirt racing, I beleive could do it, he's got great car control.
TC.Troy
Let the rough side drag
+111|6578

Strngs012 wrote:

TC.Troy wrote:

Breaking news...

That doesn't surprise me. They all looked at the success of Juan Pablo Montoya last year and figured it wouldn't be that difficult. I guess they just thought NASCAR was something they could just jump in and make a ton of money at. Look at all the open wheel drivers that have started driving in NASCAR. There all struggling, Frachitti, Hornish, Carpantier, Villenueve. out of those I just mentioned I think Franchitti and Carpantier will have some success, maybe Hornish but if he keeps wrecking cars Penske will dump him. What people don't realize about Montoya is that he has got that raw talent where he can adapt to anything. I'd love to see try some dirt racing, I beleive could do it, he's got great car control.
Yeah agreed, 100%.
Stingray24
Anyone watching the Nationwide race?  I don't have ESPN2, so I'm streaming the audio.
Strngs012
+40|6423|Florida
yeah, this is gonna be a good finish
Strngs012
+40|6423|Florida
rut-roh! big wreck shaggy!
Strngs012
+40|6423|Florida
Damn, that was an exciting finish, congrats to Smoke.
TC.Troy
Let the rough side drag
+111|6578
JGR will do Toyotas winning this year.
Any question of that?  hehe
Stingray24
Yep Toyota dropped enough cash in front of em to buy Chevrolet's engine design and COT settings.
Stingray24
Something's missing without this car and driver on the track ....

https://camtecs.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/08/20/3_earnhardt_monte.jpg
TC.Troy
Let the rough side drag
+111|6578
Have you seen the die-cast COT that Larry Mac is pushing?

Best COT paint job by far, the old GM Goodwrench #3 paint sceme lends itself very well to the COT.

Thats a nice pic btw...
Strngs012
+40|6423|Florida

Stingray24 wrote:

Something's missing without this car and driver on the track ....

http://camtecs.typepad.com/photos/uncat … _monte.jpg
Ahh the good ol days

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard