Gfr28
+6|6060
they knew what they were doing to that car... it was on a road coarse it would of helped their handling?
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6590|The Land of Scott Walker
What don't you understand about "not in the rulebook"?  If it's not in the rulebook, it's not against the rules.  A missing oil tank cover is a clear rulebook violation.

Here's a description of the templates to help you understand how it works.  Hey it even has a picture!

https://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/nascar-template.jpg

http://www.howstuffworks.com/nascar2.htm

Here's a good place to start in the article:
"The templates actually allow a little leeway in the design of the car. Because 30 templates are not enough to cover every inch of the body, some areas between template locations are not strictly controlled by NASCAR."

Here's some more helpful pics.  See those gaps?  Now is it clear?

https://www.azcentral.com/sports/speed/pics/0419cotbig-autosized258.jpg
https://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2007/0918/rpm_g_COT_275.jpg

Last edited by Stingray24 (2008-03-05 15:13:27)

Gfr28
+6|6060
lol i know this u make a big deal out of it like nobody cheats lmao ...
Gfr28
+6|6060
see those gaps LOL? that template isnt even on there yet haha
Stingray24
Of course people cheat and try to get away with it.  Ever since the 1st race in NASCAR that's been going on.  What's funny is that you won't acknowledge that Chad Knaus exploiting a gray area and the 99 breaking a black and white rule are completely different situations.

No, the template isn't on the car.  You can't see the massive gaps in between the plates that aren't measured?

Last edited by Stingray24 (2008-03-05 15:23:16)

TC.Troy
Let the rough side drag
+111|6719
NASCAR was/is consistant in the penalty process.  I think NASCAR has done the right thing.

Yeah, we'll for sure see ol' Jack getting a bit pissed off during his next interview hehe, I love to see that man speak his mind.  Too funny.

"Lets not forget Chad Knaus, that man is a wizard"...ok, how many times have I said that?  A couple in this thread so far at least.  What the 48 team got busted for last year was nothing like this.  The "crab" didnt fit the COT, and it was in fact an area the 48 and 24 teams thought they could work in...a grey area...if you will.  The rules for the COT's were there, NASCAR knows better than that, this area was left unaccounted for on the crab and in the written rule.  Chad and Steve did what any crew chief would have done, they tried it...they lost hehe.
Point is, it was an area not specificly covered to the nth degree by a rule or a template.

What the 99 was caught for was a basic aero rule thats been in effect with the Cup series for years.  You DO NOT duct air around the inside of the car, nor out of the car.  You may bring air in all you want, but its gotta leave under its own terms.
The reason you cant duct air out is the negative airpreasure it creates inside the car, thus (in the long run) reducing drag, without manipulating the body for the same effect.

The 48 and the 24 were cuaght for trying something new, yes to get an advantage.  They thought they were ok...
The 99 got caught for something you have NEVER been able to do, and they ALL know it.

BIG bloody difference imo...just huge.

On the cheating topic.
In the racing world, if you arent cheating, you arent trying.  If you arent trying, you are going to get beat, week in, and week out.
Gfr28
+6|6060
buddy breaking a rule is breaking rule nothing to it
Gfr28
+6|6060
ill i was getting at he got all excited over cheating when it happends every weekend....day in day out thats right troy if u aint cheating u aint racin....must be me cause every weekend i go to the track u know some1 is pushing the rules
Stingray24
It's like talking to a brick wall with you.  99 = RULE, 48 = non-rule gray area.  Comprende?
Gfr28
+6|6060
hah i watched that race they didnt fit the template against the rule period thats why they were penalized!
Stingray24
You watched the car inspection?  Wow, that isn't televised, you must have some connections.  Don't make me re-post the articles from NASCAR's site. Go do some research.

Last edited by Stingray24 (2008-03-05 15:32:46)

Gfr28
+6|6060
no it replayed it before the race even started about pre race inspections that they didnt fit the template
Stingray24
Ok, I guess you won't listen to reason.  You're just simply wrong. 

http://www.nascar.com/2007/news/headlin … index.html

Check the bottom of page 1 ...

"The piece in question wasn't one measured by a car template, so the Hendrick crews felt safe in adjusting it. They learned Friday that they were incorrect."

Do I have to keep walking you along every step or are you going to check your facts before posting again?  NASCAR decided that the area that WAS NOT MEASURED BY THE TEMPLATE was in violation.  No rule covered it, yet NASCAR would not pass them on inspection, re-wrote the rulebook, and retroactively penalized the 48.
Gfr28
+6|6060
man ur so far up nascars ass u cant see the break up daylight
Stingray24
Your post makes no sense.  If you read the thread you'll see me criticize NASCAR multiple times.  I'm starting to think you're a troll.
TC.Troy
Let the rough side drag
+111|6719
It's true, the quarterpanels on the 48 and 24 (this was at Sonoma last year btw, just to make sure we all on the same page here...) were not within COT template tolerance.
There are gaps between the template and the body, the tech inspectors have a little metal "go, nogo" gauge that is inserted between the template and the body.  If it fits to a certain degree, its ok, if not, you are busted
The 48 and 24 were caught working in an area on the quarterpanels that wasnt, litteraly, covered by the new crab.  Again, they thought they could do this, as the template didnt even touch the area they massaged.  Somebody in tech caught the difference and NASCAR came down like a ton of bricks.
Remember, Chad had already been suspended once at Daytona last year...but that violation was on an old car.
Strngs012
Could I have 10,000 marbles please
+40|6563|Florida
Hey Jayski is reporting that Robby Gordon might win his appeal. It's not official but that guy has some pretty good inside info most times. It basically says he will get his points back and no crew chief suspension, but the money deal will jump from $100,000 to $150,000.
Gfr28
+6|6060

DSRTurtle wrote:

I'm so glad Jeff and Jimmy had bad days.  That pair desreves a ton of them to make up for all the NASCAR favoritism they got last year.
lol yep
TC.Troy
Let the rough side drag
+111|6719

Strngs012 wrote:

Hey Jayski is reporting that Robby Gordon might win his appeal. It's not official but that guy has some pretty good inside info most times. It basically says he will get his points back and no crew chief suspension, but the money deal will jump from $100,000 to $150,000.
Robby will be happy to get back in the top 35, thats his ultimate goal anyway.  Dodge, or GEM needs to eat that monetary fine, not RGMS.

I really dislike Robby, but I hope he wins this one.
Gfr28
+6|6060
how many of u actually like the cot?
Stingray24
I think it needs some tweaking ... see Michael Waltrip's criticism of the new shock setup for more detail.
Gfr28
+6|6060
personally it doesnt look like a stock car.... i hate the wing its look like something off a rice burner and  the tire cutter splitter is a joke.....they r just trying to appeal to new crowds and going away from its southern roots where racing really is...this half the reason i hate nascar because the day of showing up with a open trailer with a group of guys to try to qualify for the race are over
TC.Troy
Let the rough side drag
+111|6719

Gfr28 wrote:

how many of u actually like the cot?
*raises hand*

Yeah, I like it, for a lot of reasons, too many for me to lay out in text atm, but yeah, a great car that imo, will only get better.
Stingray24

Gfr28 wrote:

... the day of showing up with a open trailer with a group of guys to try to qualify for the race are over
That was over a looooooooooong time ago ...
Gfr28
+6|6060
ya but look at the 1 man teams ....soon they r gonna be done over do to the franchising and the muti million dollar sponsorships

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard