rdx-fx
+955|6609

Dilbert_X wrote:

I'm not sure, Obama isn't stupid - he's fucked up the economy so that Gingrich will have a hard time starting a war.
Attack Iran and the oil price will be $200/bbl, so the oil majors would make a ton of money.
I just proved myself wrong - Sh1fty start learning farsi.
Even better, we've got a crapton of domestic oil reserves being developed in North Dakota.
Don't even have to deal with sweaty Saudis to make a buck on a barrel of oil, it's all in-house!
It's like step one and three are both "profit"!

And learn Dari. 
You'll understand Iranian Persian-Farsi, and Afghani Dari.
Two war zones for the price of one
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6124|eXtreme to the maX

rdx-fx wrote:

Even better, we've got a crapton of domestic oil reserves being developed in North Dakota.
Don't even have to deal with sweaty Saudis to make a buck on a barrel of oil, it's all in-house!
It's like step one and three are both "profit"!
But then Ford/GM (forget Chrysler) will come out with six-wheel-drive 4mpg behemoths and sell them to fat men with small penises - ie the average american consumer. There would be no real gain for the economy.

They're in league with the oil companies you know.

(Also they're mostly shale oil so grossly inefficient and expensive)

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2012-01-02 16:01:35)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6124|eXtreme to the maX

Uzique wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

You're not being boring and trollsome telling Sh1fty he shouldn't join the military unless he has a thought out reason backed up by deep self-analysis?

Sometimes you have to let natural selection take its course.
a) where am i telling him he shouldn't join (i am interested in what sells the military career, not decreeing nobody should have one)
b) what does natural selection or any attitude relating to that have to do with literature degrees?
Natural selection would remove Sh1fty from the gene pool.

I don't know, joining the military could be the turning point which changes him from twig to man.

Or he could come out bitter and angry, put on a lot of weight and become a pseudo-intellectual - like Jay.

The Machiavellian side of me would like to see him have his soul crushed and become a hipster anti-hero, like Bradley Manning, Timothy McVeigh, or Jay again.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6017|...

Dilbert_X wrote:

Why not?
America isn't due for a ground war for ten years, he can sit in the barracks and play Xbox.
I bet 7-10 tops
inane little opines
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5492|Ventura, California
I don't talk about it in every single freaking post.

rdx-fx wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

I think the main reason I think Shifty will never make it is because it's all he talks about. Most people here that were either in it or plan to join the service (like myself) don't talk about it in every other post or obsess about it in every aspect of their life.
Still, if he makes an attempt at it, he's got more balls than your average Airsoft wannabe mall-cop TSA drone.
I'd have gone to MEPS and have my ship-out date a loooong time ago if it wasn't for the utterly retarded Tier I, II, and III school systems. I'm currently calling around and finding out which is the quickest way I can get in. Most recruiters I call all have a different story.

edit: On topic: So does anybody know if they plan on replacing those crappy TOWs?

Last edited by -Sh1fty- (2012-01-03 10:43:12)

And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty

rdx-fx wrote:

Uzique wrote:

i just wanna know on the individual/familial/societal level what it is nowadays that inculcates young children with such a veneration and glorification of the military.
If your family isn't independently wealthy, the military is a good way to get a college education paid for.

For many, it's a good way to spend ages 18-22. 
See the world, learn some discipline, get in decent shape, play with cool toys, blow stuff up, and generally make the transition from adolescent to adult.

After four years of that, you've (hopefully);
got your partying out of your system (so you don't drink/fuck/party your way to a 1.0 GPA in college),
know what you want to do for a lifelong career (so you don't spend 3 years switching majors),
and have the college funds to finance it (so you're debt free when you start your "real" life after the military and college).

Military attracts the adolescents with the lure of blowing stuff up, playing with tanks and helicopters, and shooting up the countryside.
It retains the young adult officers and NCOs in other ways (which I'll skip over, as it'd be a waste of time to explain here).
pretty much my thoughts, except I might stay for 12 years (3 enlistments) if I really like it. Heck maybe even get married too while I'm in but not sure how that'll work out. I just want to start a family young and going to the military, getting college, and the aforementioned reasons by RDX are all reasons I want to join besides the whole patriotism and 'omg usmc is liek awsm'  feeling
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5376|London, England
I think I figured out what's wrong with you. You talk like an old man. You're 17 years old, act like it. Enjoy life. Stop trying to act like you have anything worked out, because you don't. You're a dumb kid that doesn't know anything.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
eleven bravo
+1,399|5277|foggy bottom
isnt he 18?
Tu Stultus Es
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6489
i'm 22 and i still barely have an idea what i want to do with my life. you're already mentally signing yourself up for 3 enlistments? rofl shifty, you silly jebend.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
gurdeep
­
+812|4773|proll­y
who gives a shit? leave the kid alone and let him figure it out for himself ffs
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6017|...
https://i.imgur.com/LJbBs.gif
inane little opines
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
Actually I'm 19 next week, Jay. That being said, it doesn't keep me from understanding your point of view though.

I don't know what I want to do with my life besides a minimum of four years in the Marines. I think it's a good stepping-stone on my way to bigger and greater things.

OnT: Guess nobody knows if the TOWs on Bradleys will ever get replaced. I was hoping a Javelin-type weapon would replace it.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Why would you expect any of us to know or care? Do I, or anyone here, work for the DoD procurement department? No. If the military wanted javelins on their Bradleys they would put them on their fucking Bradleys.

I have a tip for you since you seem so deadset on joining the Marines: don't ask retarded questions like that. You will get your ass kicked repeatedly. Either that or you'll just get retarded answers like 'that's the way it's always been' or 'that's above my pay grade'. The military wants their lower enlisted to be brain dead monkeys with muscle memory. They don't want or need armchair generals debating the merits of weapons systems that they've only experienced through Military Channel specials and video games.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
PrivateVendetta
I DEMAND XMAS THEME
+704|6209|Roma

Uzique wrote:

i'm 22 and i still barely have an idea what i want to do with my life. you're already mentally signing yourself up for 3 enlistments? rofl shifty, you silly jebend.
I know what I want to do. I guess some people aren't direction-less students.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/29388/stopped%20scrolling%21.png
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

PrivateVendetta wrote:

Uzique wrote:

People who think they know what they want at 20 are the ones that have midlife crisis'

Last edited by Jay (2012-01-03 14:25:48)

-Frederick Bastiat
rdx-fx
+955|6609

-Sh1fty- wrote:

I just want to start a family young and going to the military, [...]
A bit of advice: 
Do NOT mix being lower enlisted and marriage/family.
You can do one or the other well, not both.
If you pass on military schools in favor of time with the family, you're not going to get promotions as fast as your peers, and you will be RIF'd out eventually.
If you go to all the schools (SF, Ranger, sniper, airborne, pathfinder, etc), you're going to end up with a string of divorces, children that don't know you, and child support payments for your wife and the neighbor guy's kids.

While you are deployed, or at a military school, or working late - the young wife/GF/fiancee WILL be screwing the civilian/non-deployable-pogue next door.
There are few exceptions to this rule.

Military isn't set up to support lower enlisted with families.
You don't make enough money,
you don't have enough rank to get decent on-post housing,
and a young wife just isn't mature enough to manage everything alone when the husband is deployed.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6489

PrivateVendetta wrote:

Uzique wrote:

a directionless student? no, not really. i'm enjoying academia and i'm coming top in just about everything i do in that regard, and i'm happy pursuing it... for now. am i directionless because i'm not willing to declare that i want to do it for the rest of my life? i don't think so. i'm just as far 'progressed' into my 'career path' as you are, so drop the snide attitude, hot shot. i just realize that i'm 22 and i'll probably want a change of direction in life by the time i'm 40-45. my uncle only this xmas has decided to sell his stake in his uk-based family entrepreneurial stuff, to sell everything he owns and move to america to start a completely new business in an area he has never worked in before. i understand this is quite common. i'm happy being a very purposeful, highly-driven, super directed student right now, thanks very much. just you won't see me saying i want to get a phd and spend 5 years at 3 universities and get married to another lit professor and have 3 babies and live happily ever after. you look dumb when you say that shit. just like you look dumb when you post like a twat, as you just have. i love when you always harp on with your silly shit about students. you must feel like you missed out or something cause it's clearly a sore subject for you.

and rdx i think shifty's entire notion of the 'military family' comes from some cheesefest like mel gibson's 'we were soldiers' or some shit. you know, a bunch of lovely 1950's gals hanging around with baby-bumps discussing laundry rotas for when their excellent men come home from that beastly-yet-not-altogether-horrifying war business for the charming ballroom dance.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6790|PNW

You sort of have a shelf life for signing up for the military. That said, early-to-mid 20's is about the best time to do it, perhaps with a bit of college under your belt. You won't get as much shit. The worst that can happen is you can decide you don't like it and do something else after your time is up. Or die. Or be horribly injured. But pursuing it as a career option, I'd definitely recommend the officer's path. If it's enlisted, you're going to have a hard scrabble towards wages that are worth a damn.

Be a good investor.
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
Nope Uzique. I didn't even see We Were Soldiers until a few months ago. Either way, I know plenty of people in the military that are happily married and are enlisted.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

-Sh1fty- wrote:

Nope Uzique. I didn't even see We Were Soldiers until a few months ago. Either way, I know plenty of people in the military that are happily married and are enlisted.
You are fucking retarded. My battalion had a 75% divorce rate coming out of our deployment in 2004. I saw soooooo many divorces when I was. Guy marries his high school sweetheart, pulls her out of small town USA, drops her off in a new situation far from home and with no friends, she matures, they grow apart, she fucks around, or he does, marriage ends and there's two kids involved. Having a chance at a successful marriage is one of the primary motives I had for getting out.
-Frederick Bastiat
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
Funny coincidence that all those friends of mine are Christians.

Also, no fking kidding that if you marry your highschool sweetheart it'll end in divorce military or not.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5277|foggy bottom
ran over dead people with a bradley before
Tu Stultus Es
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

-Sh1fty- wrote:

Funny coincidence that all those friends of mine are Christians.

Also, no fking kidding that if you marry your highschool sweetheart it'll end in divorce military or not.
Yeah, because being Christian means your marriage will be blissful and won't end in divorce
-Frederick Bastiat
eleven bravo
+1,399|5277|foggy bottom
started a bradley after hitting the engine with a hammer one time.
Tu Stultus Es
west-phoenix-az
Guns don't kill people. . . joe bidens advice does
+632|6407
knew a bradley once, kind of a dick

Last edited by west-phoenix-az (2012-01-03 19:00:38)

https://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p123/west-phoenix-az/BF2S/bf2s_sig_9mmbrass.jpg

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard