Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6445|The Land of Scott Walker
To give you some backstory, I've been unemployed since Christmas Eve.  The whole story would be so long that you would all fall asleep and drool on your keyboards so, to sum it up, my former boss was insane or something.  Though I was doing great work, she wanted me gone.  Sent me the notice through email, didn't even have the stones to do it in person.  I have several opportunities that look promising and one of them promised to get back to me today or tomorrow, so all is not lost.

Here begins my tale of woe.  My unemployment checks had been coming in the mail just fine.  Last week, it didn't show up.  Hmmm, well maybe the big snowstorm on Wednesday delayed things.  Thursday, still no check.  Well, they are still clearing the roads of all the vehicles that were stranded in the storm, maybe Friday.  Friday, no check, so I called the support line.  I finally get through to Ashley and explain my situation.  Ashley says she wouldn't have the information that I need and that they sent the check Tuesday. Ashley honey, I know they sent the check Tuesday, they always send the checks Tuesday, but I don't have mine, so who do I talk to in order get one?  Ashley doesn't have that information.  Ok Ashley, if you don't know, then who does?  Ashley says no one there would know.  Lovely, so the check is lost and you don't know how to fix it.  Nope.  *sigh*

So I hoped it would show up Saturday.  Now it's Monday, the check should have been here a week ago, still no check.  I try to call the support line today and get this message: "All our staff are currently busy with other callers.  The best days to call are Tuesday through Thursday.  Please call back later" and then the line cuts off.  NO!  I DON'T WANT TO CALL TOMORROW!  I AM CALLING TODAY!  AT LEAST HAVE A PHONE SYSTEM THAT COMES FROM SOMETIME AFTER 1980 THAT DOESN'T REQUIRE ME TO KEEP CALLING!!!  Call every 5 minutes for an hour and FINALLY get to wait on hold for 10 minutes for the next supposedly helpful person.  I get Andrew, who sounds like a nice enough guy, and explain my situation.  He knows more than Ashley knew on Friday and informs me that I must wait TWELVE days before I'm allowed to report the check missing.  Must ... try ... not ... to ... threaten ... Andrew's ... life.  WHY?!?!?! THE CHECK IS MISSING N O W!!!  He does not know, that's just the rules.

So in summary: government fails, their phone system fail, and their support staff fails.  And I still don't have my money with bills due. 

Oh I forgot this part ...

Decided to go the post office in the off chance they were holding it there for some odd reason.  Wait in line, chat with some nice people.  Now it's my turn and the guy waives me over.  I have my driver's license ready to identify myself and ask if they could check if any mail is being held for me.  He responds,

"What, you think I have a big bin in the back where we keep all the mail?" 

Must ... not ... pummel ... smartass ... postal worker. 

"I have no idea how you store the mail, sir, so I stopped here to ask.  There is a check I have no received that was mailed last week. 

"No, we have no way to store it here.  It's either delivered or sent back."

"Ok, thanks."

I think the unemployment support and postal staff need a new line in their manual ...

"Remember, do not mess with the unemployed guy whose check has been lost.  Please do not insult his intelligence and at least attempt to be helpful.  And above all, do not be a sarcastic a-hole and ask him if he thinks there is a big bin in the back where you keep the mail.  He may pummel you."
Locoloki
I got Mug 222 at Gritty's!!!!
+216|6640|Your moms bedroom
sucks man, you should just say the check was in your wallet and you lost your wallet and you need the old one cancelled and for them to send you a new one!

<--- worked for me!

Last edited by Locoloki (2008-02-11 12:48:50)

Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6621|London, England
Remember that the majority of people who take these unemployment checks are dumb-arses who just rape the system, they probably think you're one of them so they gave you attitude. Dunno your situation, but I'm sure you're not one of them and genuinely have to use it due to your situation

But that sucks man, they should have a way to eliminate the whole cheque system and just do it electronically. Although it could be then more open to abuse. And I'm from the UK so I know about people abusing the system and then not using a condom (metaphorically.. ).

Last edited by Mek-Izzle (2008-02-11 12:50:49)

Locoloki
I got Mug 222 at Gritty's!!!!
+216|6640|Your moms bedroom
The state of virginia no longer sends checks it either a debit-card or direct-deposit (which can also work in reverse if they find out youve been cheating your unemployment)
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|5999|...
why were you fired? (and why is your boss crazy)

Last edited by dayarath (2008-02-11 13:07:59)

inane little opines
Stingray24
Good point, Mek-Izzle.  They probably do encounter mostly people who are trying to work the system.  I'd love to be working instead of getting $800/mo less from unemployment than I earned from my last employer.  Fortunately I should hear today or tomorrow regarding my 2nd interview for a position that pays more than my previous job.   Sent in my direct deposit info today ... by mail, can't do it online. That should prevent issues in the future, but that doesn't get me the funds I need right now.
Strngs012
Could I have 10,000 marbles please
+40|6418|Florida
both Ashely and Andrew probably make more money than you or I combined.......and they don't know nothing.
topal63
. . .
+533|6718
Sorry about the job loss.

I just got back from Lennar Corporate, and just like last month it was like visiting a funeral-wake. They had another round of lay-offs (they, and all the other large builders, do it every month when the quota is not met and it can't be met because the business cycle is still in a downward trend).

Anyways sorry to hear about  the economic tribulations & I hope things pick up for you (and right soon!).
Stingray24

dayarath wrote:

why were you fired? (and why is your boss crazy)
My employment was "terminated" because, over the last 8 months, my boss drafted written warnings that were completely false regarding my work.  I couldn't believe human resources bought it.  Apparently they didn't think it was strange that no clients ever complained regarding my work.  The whole office was furious when they found out because they knew it was all false. 

My boss is crazy because she got rid of an employee who has been in banking 7 years and has solid experience and work ethic.  Having been employed for 2 years with them, the company had invested a lot of time and money in recruiting me and acclimating me to my position and now they have to start all over and cross their fingers hoping they get someone just as good.  I just wanted to do my job well and help my clients so I could provide for my wife and kids.  I even received two framed certificates of recognition from the regional president for my outstanding customer service. I can only guess that she was threatened by my skills and must've thought I wanted her job.  My work had gained the notice of the regional president and her boss so maybe that scared her.  Her boss had asked for my input on some projects in which my boss was not involved, but I had made it clear I was not at all interested in management.  Perhaps she thought the leadership would move me into her position, not really sure.
TC.Troy
Let the rough side drag
+111|6574
Damn...
Still no chk mate (forgive the pun...)?
That sucks, like a huge hoover that sucks.

Perhaps the carrier that has the envelope has gone missing in some random snow drift?  When will the snow melt?  hehe

sorry dude :p

Hope you can get some satisfaction out of these dipsh*ts...gl
Stingray24
Hopefully they don't lose electronic money now that I've signed up for direct deposit.
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6454|The Twilight Zone
Stingray i'm just gonna wish you luck and may you get your salary soon
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6632|949

That sucks.  I get unemployment right now too...and have had several interviews since being laid off 3 months ago, but no real solid offers.  I get mine through direct deposit, which is great - no waiting for mail.  At least you signed up for it.

Good luck on the job prospects.
Stingray24
I guess the government couldn't do something too well ... then they'd have a precedent set that they might have to carry over to other areas.
Stingray24
Well, my direct deposit is set up so I got my check for this week.  Cool. 

The check that was supposedly sent February 5th has still not arrived.  Not cool. 

Waited the required time frame and reported the check missing today.  NOW they tell me that I have to wait 40 to 60 days before they will replace it!!!!!!         

This system is broken and needs to be overhauled.  If the check hasn't arrived after 2 weeks, it's not going to get here.  I've worked in banking 8 years and it is such an amazing SIMPLE process to place a stop payment.  But they refuse to do that and just direct deposit the missing funds to me because the stupid rules that have no basis in reality say we have to wait.  Called my local job center to see if they could offer any assistance.  "We don't work with unemployment, that's in Madison."
TC.Troy
Let the rough side drag
+111|6574
can you say: "pass the buck"

or in your case "check"...

thats the fed for you cat...
Stingray24
Unfortunately you are exactly right.  Perhaps I should go visit the governor and see if he can replace my check with some money out of one the many pork barrel projects he used to get elected.
mikkel
+383|6601
How hard can it be to set up a system that allows citizens to register bank accounts with the state and federal governments that can be used for these transactions? The business-case for it is enough for any official to cream their pants.
Stingray24
I have done that, the problem is they were sending regular checks in the mail until they set up my electronic deposit into my bank account.  Somehow the last one got lost and they won't replace it for nearly 2 months.  Makes no sense at all.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6649

Lowing would be highly disapproving of your situation. It's a well known fact people that are unemployed are lazy and don't really want to get a job, or they didn't work hard enough in school so nobody wants them. You're clearly just not marketable enough Sting, and it's your fault that it was lost in the mail.

As for me, I'm highly sympathetic, but I'm not sure what else you could do short of what you've already done.
mikkel
+383|6601

Stingray24 wrote:

I have done that, the problem is they were sending regular checks in the mail until they set up my electronic deposit into my bank account.  Somehow the last one got lost and they won't replace it for nearly 2 months.  Makes no sense at all.
Here in Denmark, the government doesn't do cheques anymore at all. If you want anything paid out, it's done through your registered accounts. It's a really great system.
Stingray24
Sounds great.  We should do that in the US and get rid of the checks.
Magpie
international welder....Douchebag Dude, <3 ur mom
+257|6527|Milkystania, yurop
sucks dude hope those dumbfucks get ur cash to u bloody soon

i was spose to get my cash this month but ofc I'm going to get it next month only positive thing with this is that they have decided not to send me on any dumb course so now I'm waiting for my cash and for my welding course to start....
Funky_Finny
Banned
+456|6133|Carnoustie, Scotland
LOL dole.

Get a job and stop sponging off the government.
Stingray24
I'd much rather have a job, because unemployment leaves me $800 short every month.  I've been flooding applications out and had several interviews this week, but have to wait for them to call next week for 2nd interviews before they make a decision.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard