HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5931|Washington DC
My guitar decided to go wonky on me. Whenever I plug it into an amp, there's a loud buzzing sound and NO actual notes are heard. If I plug it into my tuner, the tuner picks nothign up.

First I thought it might be my amp, but when I went to my guitar lesson the amp there also gave me that buzz. My teacher and I figured it was the cable, so I bought a new one. I plug the cable into my guitar, plug the other end into my tuner, and it doesn't pick anything up. I switch the two ends around (since some cables seem to be picky) and nothing. I plug it into my amp and, sure enough, there's that buzzing sound. Mocking me.

I was wondering if anyone had any idea what this could be? If it's an easily fixed problem, I'd rather do it myself than pay some guy at Guitar Center to do it.
CrazeD
+368|6643|Maine
Could be your pickups, or maybe a wire got knocked loose inside. Try selecting a different pickup with the pickup selector and see what happens.
ceslayer23
IN YOUR MIRROR
+142|6331|CLOSER THAN I APPEAR
could be a faulty cable
HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5931|Washington DC

CrazeD wrote:

Could be your pickups, or maybe a wire got knocked loose inside. Try selecting a different pickup with the pickup selector and see what happens.
None of the pickups seemed to work.

ceslayer, not to sound like a dick but please read... I don't think a brand new, good cable will do that.

Last edited by HurricaИe (2008-02-09 15:22:37)

CrazeD
+368|6643|Maine
Well then it's probably a broken or messed up wire somewhere. That's really the only thing it can be. If you're any good with DIY, take the pickups out and take the back off and have a looksy at the wires, make sure all the connections are good etc.
Volatile
+252|6674|Sextupling in Empire

Are they active PUs? I've never have the battery die on the EMGs that I used to use, so I don't know if that could cause the issue you're having.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6619

Take the jack in the guitar apart. Often a wire in there will come loose. I've soldered a couple of them back together. Real simple to fix.
Strngs012
Could I have 10,000 marbles please
+40|6388|Florida
DON"T TAKE THE PICKUPS OUT. First try to diagnose the problem an easier way. First look at the plug, the female end on your guitar. get an ohm  meter and check the resistence on the wires and check the solder connections then follow the path to the pickups. Taking the pickup out of your guitar will effect your tone so the least you dissassemble the better off you'll be. It sounds like a bad connection somwhere a loose wire or solder connection.
HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5931|Washington DC
Okay, I took off the little input cable thing... that metal circle where you plug the cable into... there was some wire there that was, well, not connected to the input circle at all. It literally looked like a rat or something had chewed it off, or that it exploded or something. It was all frayed and shit.
smartdude992
Keep your head down, smart's got a gun
+30|5902|Georgia, US of A
sounds like you need new pickups, but i only do a little with guitars...
TrueMusou
+36|6131|United States Of Hamerica
Good luck on that. Fix your baby up and let it sing once more.
Roughshod
I CAN HAS CHEEZBURGER?
+24|6240|Germany, NRW
are there active guitars? i only play bass and some of mine are active and if i got that issue, i change the batteries and then it's fixed...
HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5931|Washington DC

Roughshod wrote:

are there active guitars? i only play bass and some of mine are active and if i got that issue, i change the batteries and then it's fixed...
I don't know what that means =/ all I know is that it looks like a wire that functions in sending the signal to the input cable is broken. Unfortunately, the head repair guy at Guitar Center wasn't there today... probably going tomorrow or Tuesday.
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6744|Noizyland

Roughshod wrote:

Yeah, my electro-acoustic has an active pickup system.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5931|Washington DC
Well, she's all happy now Got it fixed up at the shop in about 20 minutes for 20 bucks, and the guy fixed the issue I had with my lower E string as well...

...now I really want to practice hard and get good at guitar. Because during those 20 minutes I got to play with an American Fender Strat hooked up to a Line 6 Spider III Amp... beautiful sound and feel. And I was foolish enough to look at the thousand-dollar Gibsons.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6260|Éire
Ditch guitar and go for bass ...a much more interesting and versatile instrument!
Ryan
+1,230|6813|Alberta, Canada

HurricaИe wrote:

Well, she's all happy now Got it fixed up at the shop in about 20 minutes for 20 bucks, and the guy fixed the issue I had with my lower E string as well...

...now I really want to practice hard and get good at guitar. Because during those 20 minutes I got to play with an American Fender Strat hooked up to a Line 6 Spider III Amp... beautiful sound and feel. And I was foolish enough to look at the thousand-dollar Gibsons.
That's good

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard