sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6791|Argentina
Christianity = Egyptian Religion + Astrology + Ancient Myths?

Ghandi767
+17|6656|Hanging in the Balance
Myths of Religion:
1. Its a good thing/helpful
2. See above

Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6479|The Land of Scott Walker

sergeriver wrote:

The internet says so, must be true.
Schwarzelungen
drunklenglungen
+133|6330|Bloomington Indiana
dont forget that thing called communion...came from the celtic ritual called "cakes and ale"
trippy982
+34|6432
Religion = win.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6502
The English language adopted stuff from other languages, does that make it a myth as well?
Schwarzelungen
drunklenglungen

DoctaStrangelove wrote:

The English language adopted stuff from other languages, does that make it a myth as well?
religion could be looked at differently because of the faith aspect.  it doesnt take faith to know that a language is there
mcgid1
Meh...
+129|6751|Austin, TX/San Antonio, TX
Yes, many of the Christian traditions came from other religions/cultures, but the message and ideology of Christianity is its own.  (Technically is a continuation of the Jewish tradition, with those who believe it believing that Jesus was the Jewish Messiah, but that's beside the point)

A few "Christian" traditions that came from elsewhere:

The date of Christmas, actually was a date used by the Romans to celebrate one of their gods (I think it was Isis, but I'm not too sure).  For the Romans it was just convenient to switch what was being celebrated that day than to create a new holiday.  If you follow the descriptions in the Bible, the true date of Christmas should be sometime in the Spring, around March or April.

Celebrating mass on Sunday.  Again it was more convenient for the Romans, and it separated Christianity from it's Jewish origins.

The Christmas Tree.  Drawn from the pagan tradition of the yule(sp?) log.

These are just a few, but there are many, many more.
Locoloki
I got Mug 222 at Gritty's!!!!
+216|6674|Your moms bedroom
Religion= a collection of morals where people need to be told what is right and what is wrong
clogar
damn ain't it great to be a laxer
+32|5990|Minnesota

Schwarzelungen wrote:

dont forget that thing called communion...came from the celtic ritual called "cakes and ale"
no it came from the passover meal, that Jesus celebrated. This was called The Last Supper. The ideas in communion came from John chapter 6.
clogar
+32|5990|Minnesota

mcgid1 wrote:

Yes, many of the Christian traditions came from other religions/cultures, but the message and ideology of Christianity is its own.  (Technically is a continuation of the Jewish tradition, with those who believe it believing that Jesus was the Jewish Messiah, but that's beside the point)

The date of Christmas, actually was a date used by the Romans to celebrate one of their gods (I think it was Isis, but I'm not too sure).  For the Romans it was just convenient to switch what was being celebrated that day than to create a new holiday.  If you follow the descriptions in the Bible, the true date of Christmas should be sometime in the Spring, around March or April.

Celebrating mass on Sunday.  Again it was more convenient for the Romans, and it separated Christianity from it's Jewish origins.

whats your point?
konfusion
mostly afk
+480|6584|CH/BR - in UK

That was interesting... I'm not going to blindly follow it, but it brings up some good points :p

-konfusion
trackstarr
+18|6736|Swing and a miss
Ahh this is old
The whole video of it is called Zeit Geist

The zeit geist video is on google with 3 parts

1.Religion
2. (god forbid) Another 9/11 conspiricy theory.
3. Our economy and how the bankers are in control

Last edited by trackstarr (2008-02-07 18:11:26)

Schwarzelungen
drunklenglungen

clogar wrote:

Schwarzelungen wrote:

no it came from the passover meal, that Jesus celebrated. This was called The Last Supper. The ideas in communion came from John chapter 6.
right, i see what you are saying and do remember reading it (raised in the church)    im also saying that the early celtic pagans did something very similar.   im just getting at the point of there being many things that a lot of religions do the same.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6563|Global Command

Stingray24 wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

The internet says so, must be true.
Actually Sting, you should pick up a book called The Hiram Key.
http://www.google.com/search?q=The+Hira … =firefox-a

I'd love it if you read it with a open mind and then we had a conversation.
trackstarr
+18|6736|Swing and a miss
RECONDO67
+60|6670|miami FL
Christianity is the modern age mythology.
you can clearly see it in the catholic church they have and use all kind of symbols
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6576|Texas - Bigger than France
I remember hearing somewhere that the reason why Dec 25 was picked was because the Pope (or whoever) wanted to have a holiday in December.  And part of that was people weren't really too sure of when Jesus was born, so the Pope chose December for that reason.  If true, this means the entire first video is incorrect.  However, it doesn't support his existance either.

Anyhow, it is common for religions to share similarities, as if there are similarities then there will be more converts.  For example, I might be mixing up the cultures, but the conquistadors sometimes built churches on top of the Aztecs/Mayan temples, and the Aztecs/Mayans had built theirs on top of the previous cultures'...whatever that was.

The other one is about Lent, which just started yesterday on Ash Wednesday.  It is proceeded by Mardi Gras, which is the kickoff of a pagan ritual (called something besides Mardi Gras of course).  The pagans used to choose a sacrifice by baking a copper coin into a cake (aka the "King Cake" which has the plastic baby in it now).  Whomever got the piece with the copper coin would be treated to whatever their heart desired (aka treated like a "King") for 40 days and then sacrificed.  So along comes Christianity, and the festival is tamed down so that instead of a 40 day party, there would be people dressed up all weird on horseback, going from town to town throwing out gifts and candy (aka the Mardi Gras parades).

Anyhow, something like that.
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6576|Texas - Bigger than France
Oh, and forgot to say about Mardi Gras - I also am not sure if it was the pagans or the Christians who first yelled "Show me your Boobs"

Last edited by Pug (2008-02-07 18:23:24)

Schwarzelungen
drunklenglungen

Pug wrote:

Oh, and forgot to say about Mardi Gras - I also am not sure if it was the pagans or the Christians who first yelled "Show me your Boobs"
probably the pagans. sex was viewed as a form of enlightenment. haha
Freke1
I play at night... mostly
+47|6581|the best galaxy
"Zeitgeist" really knocks religion out.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/7d11696e2ffd4edeff06466095e98b0fab37462c.png
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6502
Basically Christianity must be fake simply because it assimilated other traditions into its own? The start of Christianity can be traced to 30~50 AD, most of the other traditions that are mentioned come much later. Christianity was a malleable religion and so these traditions came into it. Doesn't prove or disprove anything.
G3|Genius
Pope of BF2s
+355|6660|Sea to globally-cooled sea
Christianity has a lot of pagan elements to it...it's what made it so adaptable to different cultures.  It's a unique religion, and that's part of the beauty of it.  Christianity is not an ethnicity like Judaism or Islam.  It's a conviction.  It's about a truth that transcends culture, which is why it has been so widely accepted across the Continents, and throughout the centuries.
mcgid1
Meh...
+129|6751|Austin, TX/San Antonio, TX

clogar wrote:

mcgid1 wrote:

whats your point?
The point is that yes, they do take things from other religions, but the central message of Christianity is it's own message, not those of another religion.
clogar
+32|5990|Minnesota

Pug wrote:

I remember hearing somewhere that the reason why Dec 25 was picked was because the Pope (or whoever) wanted to have a holiday in December.  And part of that was people weren't really too sure of when Jesus was born, so the Pope chose December for that reason.  If true, this means the entire first video is incorrect.  However, it doesn't support his existance either.
Jesus was most likely born sometime around april 17th 6 B.C. - at least thats when the 3 magi saw the star that led them to him. The star was in the area of the sky for israel and it was the alignment of the two planets that symbolized a new a king for them.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard