RoosterCantrell
Goodbye :)
+399|6486|Somewhere else

NOTE: This is NOT a rally point, or recruitment article.  Serious topic.  Leave all "go anon!"  and "we are legion" comments out.

Anyone with internet access probably knows by this point about "anonymous" and it's fight with Scientology.

If not, google it.

It started off with DDoS's, fax bombing, prank calls, etc.

Now, for the more organized part, it seems the whole thing is trying to take a more mature, legal approach to protesting Scientology.  Despite the hoards of immature idiots trying to ride on the new "hip" thing, it seems alot of people in with this want to take this to a legitimate level.

Personally, I hate $cientology, and hope that awareness is raised significantly from this.  Obviously, this won't end Scientology, but may be a tough hit on the "religeon"

Thoughts?

EDIT: I know the Imageboards, and thier associated shenanigens aren't quite wlecome here sometimes, but this is an honest question, about a reall current event.

Last edited by RoosterCantrell (2008-02-01 19:08:17)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6778|PNW

What?
Fenris_GreyClaw
Real Хорошо
+826|6525|Adelaide, South Australia

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

What?
This
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6474
Scientology has remained in existence only due to the strength of its legal team. Anon is a very flexible, un-centerized and all around difficult to prosecute group. While I doubt they will be anything other than a nuscence to the cult, Sea-Org will get some major head-aches from them.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6411|North Carolina
I'm glad Lisa McPherson's death is finally getting some attention.  It's the strongest justification for following Germany's lead in not recognizing Scientology as a religion.

Last edited by Turquoise (2008-02-01 20:04:41)

Ender2309
has joined the GOP
+470|6577|USA

Turquoise wrote:

I'm glad Lisa McPherson's death is finally getting some attention.  It's the strongest justification for following Germany's lead in not recognizing Scientology as a religion.
i thought them germans banned the alien lovers?
Turquoise
O Canada
As far as I know, the German government considers Scientology a business, and therefore, it does not have tax exempt status, and it is not privy to the same religious freedoms that officially recognized religions have in Germany.  I could be wrong, but there is no ban.  The Germans just see them as a cult.
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6453|Chicago, IL
from what I've seen, Scientology appears to be the biggest scam of the 21st century, and needs to be shut down.  In this case, I'm siding with the hackers.
naightknifar
Served and Out
+642|6567|Southampton, UK

Didn't want to make a new thread so here: THEY ARE EVERYWHERE!!!

https://img112.imageshack.us/img112/5575/68186926wp6.png

(right click + view image for full size )

Last edited by naightknifar (2008-03-08 12:20:38)

max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6573|NYC / Hamburg

once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
Drakef
Cheeseburger Logicist
+117|6368|Vancouver
Beware the Ides of March.
SgtSlutter
Banned
+550|6644|Amsterdam, NY

max wrote:

Home
Section.80
+447|6854|Seattle, Washington, USA

I really have no problem with the attack on Scientology itself, but there are a lot of problems with "Anonymous" and the way they are going about it.
1. If they seriously want to take down Scientology, they aren't going to do it through faxbombing and prank calls. This has already made their "movement" seem silly and immature.
2. I don't understand why everyone sees Scientology as "The biggest scam of the 21st Century," as S.Lythberg put it. What about Catholicism? The Vatican is worth more than Scientology will ever be.
3. "Anon" is hardly the group to be playing morals police. Their image boards are infested with racism, sexism, and other forms of bigotry. They proudly own up to hacking anyone's computer they feel like, taking advantage of the little old lady who doesn't know what virus protection is and messing with her shit.

Honestly, I think "Anon" is just doing this because they think it's cool. All the 14 year old boys in "V for Vendetta" masks now have a reason to meet up together and show off their self-perceived badassedness.
naightknifar
Served and Out

Home wrote:

Honestly, I think "Anon" is just doing this because they think it's cool. All the 14 year old boys in "V for Vendetta" masks now have a reason to meet up together and show off their self-perceived badassedness.
Stkhoplite just got Stallowned.

Well said my man, I just enjoy the anger that is built up in some pathetic 'religion' and how orgasmic it can be - for the e-terrorists.
lavadisk
I am a cat ¦ 3
+369|6836|Denver colorado

Home wrote:

You've got this part right.

However..

home wrote:

They proudly own up to hacking anyone's computer they feel like, taking advantage of the little old lady who doesn't know what virus protection is and messing with her shit.
This really isn't the case.. They just fuck around with stuff (spamming, DDOS attacks,... more spamming), they aren't real "hackers on steroids" and even if they were they aren't going to spend their time on some random person who they don't know. Most people ask for it before anon jumps on them.

Ps. I know this because I used to be a part of the /i/nvasion sections. I stopped going to all the sites in general because they aren't pure places and they have no point but I just wanted to let you know how I know this because I don't want to be accused of being 'one of them'
naightknifar
Served and Out

lavadisk wrote:

Home wrote:

You've got this part right.

However..

home wrote:

They proudly own up to hacking anyone's computer they feel like, taking advantage of the little old lady who doesn't know what virus protection is and messing with her shit.
This really isn't the case.. They just fuck around with stuff (spamming, DDOS attacks,... more spamming), they aren't real "hackers on steroids" and even if they were they aren't going to spend their time on some random person who they don't know. Most people ask for it before anon jumps on them.

Ps. I know this because I used to be a part of the /i/nvasion sections. I stopped going to all the sites in general because they aren't pure places and they have no point but I just wanted to let you know how I know this because I don't want to be accused of being 'one of them'
HE'S ONE OF THEM!!

Had to be done
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6474

Home wrote:

2. I don't understand why everyone sees Scientology as "The biggest scam of the 21st Century," as S.Lythberg put it. What about Catholicism? The Vatican is worth more than Scientology will ever be.
Yeah but the purpose of real religions is not to make money. The Catholic Church makes hardly any profit, if any, from most of its members while Scientology charges massive fees for its "services".
Turquoise
O Canada

DoctaStrangelove wrote:

Home wrote:

Yeah but the purpose of real religions is not to make money. The Catholic Church makes hardly any profit, if any, from most of its members while Scientology charges massive fees for its "services".
While it is true that the Catholic Church may be far less money oriented than the Church of Scientology, they actually do make a lot of money under the table.  Even "The Godfather 3" touched on this topic.
SgtSlutter
Banned
+550|6644|Amsterdam, NY

Turquoise wrote:

DoctaStrangelove wrote:

Home wrote:

While it is true that the Catholic Church may be far less money oriented than the Church of Scientology, they actually do make a lot of money under the table.  Even "The Godfather 3" touched on this topic.
Well if it was in a movie it must be true
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6627|London, England
I suppose in the attempt to eradicate religion from the world, you have to start off small. Scientology this decade, hopefully something bigger next.
aimless
+166|6131|Texas
A stupid bunch of kids getting together thinking they are going to accomplish something big.
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6453|Chicago, IL

Home wrote:

I really have no problem with the attack on Scientology itself, but there are a lot of problems with "Anonymous" and the way they are going about it.
1. If they seriously want to take down Scientology, they aren't going to do it through faxbombing and prank calls. This has already made their "movement" seem silly and immature.
3. "Anon" is hardly the group to be playing morals police. Their image boards are infested with racism, sexism, and other forms of bigotry. They proudly own up to hacking anyone's computer they feel like, taking advantage of the little old lady who doesn't know what virus protection is and messing with her shit.

The catholic church doesn't have a sign up fee, nor do they encourage paranoia and suspicion of other religions.
The amount of money you donate to the clergy does not influence your standing in the church hierarchy (only a degree in theology can do that)

However, if history truly repeats itself, i think we can count on Scientology to self-destruct in the next decade or so, cults never last long.
Turquoise
O Canada

S.Lythberg wrote:

The catholic church doesn't have a sign up fee, nor do they encourage paranoia and suspicion of other religions.
The amount of money you donate to the clergy does not influence your standing in the church hierarchy (only a degree in theology can do that)

However, if history truly repeats itself, i think we can count on Scientology to self-destruct in the next decade or so, cults never last long.
In a practical sense, things like indulgences can actually grant quite a bit of influence in the Catholic Church.  There are periods of time where indulgences aren't allowed, but if I'm not mistaken, they legalized it again.

Whatever the case, practically every organized religion involves some palm greasing for influence, but the only difference with Scientology is that they are more blatant about it.
mcgid1
Meh...
+129|6723|Austin, TX/San Antonio, TX

Turquoise wrote:

S.Lythberg wrote:

In a practical sense, things like indulgences can actually grant quite a bit of influence in the Catholic Church.  There are periods of time where indulgences aren't allowed, but if I'm not mistaken, they legalized it again.

Whatever the case, practically every organized religion involves some palm greasing for influence, but the only difference with Scientology is that they are more blatant about it.
Indulgences still exist, yes, but the no longer have any monitary ties.  Instead they are gained through acts of prayer and devotion to the Church, Christ, and God.

wikipedia wrote:

An act of spiritual communion, expressed in any devout formula whatsoever, is endowed with a partial indulgence.
A partial indulgence is granted the Christian faithful who devoutly spend time in mental prayer.
A plenary indulgence is granted when the rosary is recited in a church or oratory or when it is recited in a family, a religious community, or a pious association. A partial indulgence is granted for its recitation in all other circumstances.
A partial indulgence is granted the Christian faithful who read sacred Scripture with the veneration due God’s word and as a form of spiritual reading. The indulgence will be a plenary one when such reading is done for at least one-half hour [provided the other conditions are met].
A partial indulgence is granted to the Christian faithful who devoutly sign themselves with the cross while saying the customary formula: "In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen."
A partial indulgence is granted for the recitation of the Angelus.
A partial indulgence is granted to the Christian faithful who on the day of the liturgical feast of any saint recite in that saint's honor a prayer taken from the Missal or other prayer approved by legitimate authority.
A partial indulgence is granted for reading the Holy Scripture at least 15 minutes per day.
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6453|Chicago, IL

Turquoise wrote:

S.Lythberg wrote:

I believe indulgences were responsible for the splitting, and near destruction, of the church, I doubt they would bring it back as a "pay and be saved".

I'm not saying they wouldn't gladly accept donations, but you can go to church every Sunday and donate nothing.

Christians, Muslims, and Jews have all shown great interest in converting the people of the poorest areas of the world, at great expense.  Why is it that Scientology only recruits the rich?

Last edited by S.Lythberg (2008-03-09 09:46:41)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard