SgtHeihn
Should have ducked
+394|6525|Ham Lake, MN (Fucking Cold)
This rates right up their with pure stupidity.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,327466,00.html

I think there is a line and they(Berkeley) just crossed it. It would serve them right to get Federal funding yanked.
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6485|Chicago, IL
My town has dozens of recruiting stations, and I seriously considered joining...

Why would they want to get rid of the marines?
SgtHeihn
Should have ducked
+394|6525|Ham Lake, MN (Fucking Cold)

S.Lythberg wrote:

My town has dozens of recruiting stations, and I seriously considered joining...

Because the anti-war group code pink has been targeting the Marine Corps as of late.
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6485|Chicago, IL

SgtHeihn wrote:

S.Lythberg wrote:

Because the anti-war group code pink has been targeting the Marine Corps as of late.
well, I'm not a huge fan of the war myself (how can you love war?), but I love the marines.  There's a difference between hating politicians who declare war, and hating the soldiers who fight it.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,974|6670|949

If the people of Berkeley don't want a recruiting station, who cares?  To me, it's just a stupid move on that Senator's part that will probably result in other legislators doing the same thing - suing certain cities/counties to remove federal funding because of something they don't agree with.

Have you ever been to Berkeley?  Quite the delusional town to be honest.  Plus they denied me college admission years ago and I'm still kind of bitter over it.  Any chance I get I root against the Cal Bears.
IRONCHEF
+385|6529|Northern California
Old news.
mikkel
+383|6639
Hey, if they don't want the Marines recruiting there, fine, but to actively encourage and support specific protest groups is simply going too far.

That senator sounds mighty retarded, though. Apparently he wants to rescind federal funds earmarked for the city, while maintaining the federal income tax for the population. It doesn't work that way.
oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6557|Πάϊ

S.Lythberg wrote:

SgtHeihn wrote:

S.Lythberg wrote:

well, I'm not a huge fan of the war myself (how can you love war?), but I love the marines.  There's a difference between hating politicians who declare war, and hating the soldiers who fight it.
what good are the marines if you never have war?
ƒ³
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6485|Chicago, IL

oug wrote:

S.Lythberg wrote:

SgtHeihn wrote:

you'll always have war, thats the nature of humanity, that doesn't mean it's pleasant.
Ghandi767
+17|6660|Hanging in the Balance
Stupid move. Also stupid to think they have jurisdiction over the Marines. Laughable in the end. Oughta ride up some Freedom Bikers and get em to protest Code Pink... IN their parking spot
Jibbles
Rifle Expert
+56|6668|Mexifornia, USA
I heard on the news last night that the mayor said something to the extent of "The Marines are not welcome here, they should not have come here, and they should leave."

I'm really getting sick of all this anti-military and anti-America bullshit the Bay Area keeps putting out. For all you WiC players, anyone wanna pool for a triple nuke? It's only 180 TA...
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6659|London, England
Yeah that's pretty weak. Who gives a shit what people are trying to do (in this case it's the Marines trying to recruit). Thought it was a free country where people could do what they want without persecution (yeah I know it sounds funny, the armed forces being persecuted in their own country) but that's what it boils down to.

Though punishing the whole city for the actions of a few is lame too
PluggedValve
+17|6378
Well, it seems a bit unneccessary to go to great lengths to move the recruit office.  But the request to not fund Berkely because they are not big military supporters is even stupider.  Everyone has a right to support or not support a movement.  But citizens of Berkely also pay taxes federally and state wise.  You CANT cut their funding because they dont support a "popular" program or office.  If they cut the tax funding then that would mean Berkely reidents should not have to pay taxes. 

I dont live there, but if i did and they cut tax funding, i would cut my tax paying and take them to court over it. (Although they would probably win, being as how they are the lawmakers.)
oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6557|Πάϊ

S.Lythberg wrote:

oug wrote:

S.Lythberg wrote:

you'll always have war, thats the nature of humanity, that doesn't mean it's pleasant.
Your belief that there will always be war is irrelevant. How can you like the marines if you don't like what they're for or what they do?
ƒ³
Ghandi767

oug wrote:

S.Lythberg wrote:

oug wrote:

Your belief that there will always be war is irrelevant. How can you like the marines if you don't like what they're for or what they do?
Because they are willing to deal and sacrifice their time, and lives, fighting with the inhumanities and dictators of the world so I dont have to. I respect them because they gave me the right to free speech. I respect them because they stand ready to lay down their lives for me, my fellow citizens and my country so that we may live in peace and not have to deal with war.
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6485|Chicago, IL

Ghandi767 wrote:

oug wrote:

S.Lythberg wrote:

Because they are willing to deal and sacrifice their time, and lives, fighting with the inhumanities and dictators of the world so I dont have to. I respect them because they gave me the right to free speech. I respect them because they stand ready to lay down their lives for me, my fellow citizens and my country so that we may live in peace and not have to deal with war.
Couldn't have said it better.

The Marines stand for protecting America and its interests from threats both at home and abroad, and are sworn to give their lives to protect yours, if you don't have any respect for that, then get the hell out. (not you oug, I realize you're just making a point)
oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6557|Πάϊ

Ghandi767 wrote:

oug wrote:

S.Lythberg wrote:

hehehe except this is not a hollywood movie thnxbye
ƒ³
oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6557|Πάϊ

S.Lythberg wrote:

The Marines stand for protecting America and its interests from threats both at home and abroad, and are sworn to give their lives to protect yours, if you don't have any respect for that, then get the hell out. (not you oug, I realize you're just making a point)
sorry mate but you're seeing this all wrong... it's not about your country, this is about every army in the world
ƒ³
Jibbles
Rifle Expert
+56|6668|Mexifornia, USA

oug wrote:

Even if he doesn't know their exact purpose as a branch of the military, he does know that they fight and die for us. I think that's pretty obvious. Also, the Marines have been here since 10 Nov 1775, and do not deserve to be disrespected now because some left wing secular-progressives don't like the war. War will always be here, and it will never be popular. The only way war will end is if we completely annihilate each other, which is very probable in the future.
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6485|Chicago, IL

oug wrote:

S.Lythberg wrote:

sorry mate but you're seeing this all wrong... it's not about your country, this is about every army in the world
Does it matter what nation I'm from?

These men and women would give their lives to protect your way of life, you should respect them.
mikkel
+383|6639
For how badass the Marines are supposed to be, they get butt-hurt pretty fast whenever people don't agree with what they stand for.

Honestly, these people need to accept that not everyone is going to agree with them, and just get over it. Just like everyone else does.
Ghandi767

oug wrote:

Ghandi767 wrote:

oug wrote:

hehehe except this is not a hollywood movie thnxbye
Hollywood has to do with this how again?
Wraith
+30|6618

mikkel wrote:

For how badass the Marines are supposed to be, they get butt-hurt pretty fast whenever people don't agree with what they stand for.

Honestly, these people need to accept that not everyone is going to agree with them, and just get over it. Just like everyone else does.
According to that report the only response from the marines was "who cares, we're not moving".  That doesn't sound 'butt-hurt' to me.  What it does sound like is a group of anti-war protestors pissing on the people who volunteer to take a lot of shit for their benefit, and some politician going way over-board in response for it.

I believe the marines deserve respect for choosing to risk their lives in order to keep safe their family, friends country and ideals.  They don't go to war for fun, they go because the politicians tell them to.  We may not think the conflicts they are involved in are right or just (I personally disagree with being in Iraq), but that is down to the politicians, not the soldiers.  The marines deserve the respect of the population, the same way EVERY SINGLE member of the armed forces deserve it.

The other issue is taking the funding from the town.  This I also think is absolute idiocy.  He basically wants to take away money that could be used to improve the education system, health system etc etc because of a few idiots comments.  Basically punishing everyone - man, woman or child - for someone elses beliefs.  How would he like it if, for example, the police towed and crushed his car because a guy living at the other end of the town made a racist remark.
oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6557|Πάϊ

S.Lythberg wrote:

These men and women would give their lives to protect your way of life, you should respect them.
Exactly, it doesn't. I merely pointed that out because people are getting jumpy every time someone dares to voice a different opinion about soldiers in these forums (not you in this case).
As for their intentions, maybe they are noble, maybe not. I do not judge their intentions, rather their way of achieving them.
ƒ³
Ghandi767

oug wrote:

S.Lythberg wrote:

Exactly, it doesn't. I merely pointed that out because people are getting jumpy every time someone dares to voice a different opinion about soldiers in these forums (not you in this case).
As for their intentions, maybe they are noble, maybe not. I do not judge their intentions, rather their way of achieving them.
Their way of achieving them is by carrying out the orders given to them by their superiors, which in almost every case has led to military success.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard