CanadianLoser
Meow :3 :3
+1,148|6517
A few weeks ago i took some old computers from my dads office because they weren't being used.  I soon figured out they didn't work because they had no ram.  So i threw some ram in and they worked (yey).  I cleaned them off of all the shit they had from work and was trying to get internet using the linksys wireless USB network adapter.  It wasn't working so i decided to leave it and do some other stuff with it.  Since there is no internet i couldn't really download music or the Alienware theme i wanted so i loaded some things onto my flashdrive and plugged it in to the comp.  It was not to be found   So i figured if i reformatted it may fix it.  After reformatting it still doesn't work.  I have 2 computers from the office and neither of them work with USB, one is reformatted, and the other isn't.

so why doesn't the USB work?  help is much appreciated
Snowmanimal
Not so unique forum title
+30|6552|My head
Check the bios.  How old are the computers? Maybe the USB slots are too slow for modern technology.
mudder
+8|6535
Specs of the 2 computers?  OP? 
also make sure that USB 2.0 is installed if applicable. 
In bios make sure that plug and play is on. 
Check inside case and make sure that the connection from exterior usb port to the motherboard is also plugged to the right pins.
CanadianLoser
+1,148|6517

mudder wrote:

Check inside case and make sure that the connection from exterior usb port to the motherboard is also plugged to the right pins.
plug and play was off, turned it on but it still is undetected. 
how do i find whether usb 2.0 is isntalled?

specs:

Intel pentium 4 CPU 2.40GHz
224 mb RAM
reformatted one is running on Windows XP home edition, other one is on windows XP Professional.
Motherboard is Asus P4S533-MX
300 W ps
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6591|SE London

Canadianloser wrote:

mudder wrote:

specs:

224 mb RAM
reformatted one is running on Windows XP home edition, other one is on windows XP Professional.
300 W ps
Well, that Mobo supports USB 2.0 so that's all fine. Are the ports connected to the mobo?

Of course they could just be broken....
CanadianLoser
+1,148|6517

Bertster7 wrote:

Canadianloser wrote:

mudder wrote:

specs:

224 mb RAM
300 W ps
Well, that Mobo supports USB 2.0 so that's all fine. Are the ports connected to the mobo?

They are i believe.  Everytime i connect the network adapter the green lights on it blink of a quick second then go off, so i know they are connected.  but it still doesn't work
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6591|SE London

Canadianloser wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Canadianloser wrote:

specs:

224 mb RAM
300 W ps

They are i believe.  Everytime i connect the network adapter the green lights on it blink of a quick second then go off, so i know they are connected.  but it still doesn't work
Do they show up in device manager?
CanadianLoser
+1,148|6517

Bertster7 wrote:

Canadianloser wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

nope.   does that mean they are not connected properly?
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6591|SE London

Canadianloser wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Canadianloser wrote:

Or are broken...
CanadianLoser
+1,148|6517

Bertster7 wrote:

Canadianloser wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Or are broken...
oh damn
elbekko
Your lord and master
+36|6410|Leuven, Belgium
Try another port.
mudder
+8|6535
USB 2.0 Came in SP2 windows update.   Look up asusteck web site and you can pull the manual on the boards to look at your options on ports you can use.  also the green light = post light most likely.
http://support.asus.com/download/downlo … uage=en-us
aimless
+166|6134|Texas
Add New Hardware wizard? That's what I used when my USB wasn't working.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6591|SE London

mudder wrote:

USB 2.0 Came in SP2 windows update.   Look up asusteck web site and you can pull the manual on the boards to look at your options on ports you can use.  also the green light = post light most likely.
http://support.asus.com/download/downlo … uage=en-us
Irrelevant. Even without USB 2.0 support from the OS the ports would function as working USB 1.1 ports. They would also be listed in device manager. The fact they are not there means they are not properly connected, are broken or are turned off in the BIOS.
mudder
+8|6535
You are correct, I was just answering his question about "Were do i get 2.0"  I guess I should have been more clear.
Thinking out loud...  Some company's worry about flash drives and what not so you can't walk out with a file so easy.  Maybe they manually/ physically removed the possibility? seems far fetched but you never know.

Last edited by mudder (2008-02-02 11:40:48)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard