Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6535|Long Island, New York
What say you? I figured this was a topic more suited for D&ST rather than the Everything Else forum.

For me:

1. Saving Private Ryan (Truly exceptional filmmaking by Spielberg...really showed me what WWII and D-Day was like.)
2. Apocalypse Now (Like above, it really showed me how soldiers act when in war)
3. Das Boot (A terrific film that shows a different perspective...the Nazi's perspective and how some of them WERE human just like our soldiers.)
4. Full Metal Jacket (Shows the strain boot camp and war itself takes on Marines.)
5. Braveheart (Details a fairly unknown war and how William Wallace led his fight for freedom so valiantly.)

Honorable mentions:

Tora! Tora! Tora!
All Quiet on the Western Front (Which I just saw for the first time recently)
The Thin Red Line
The Great Raid
Letters from Iwo Jima
Flyboys (Being an Air Force fanatic, something about it just attatched to me)
U-571
Black Hawk Down (I can't believe I forgot this one)

Last edited by Poseidon (2008-01-29 05:14:10)

Aries_37
arrivederci frog
+368|6572|London
Other honourable mentions imo:

Black hawk down (ridley scott)
windtalkers
we were soldiers
platoon
gladiator had that one good scene (ridley scott)
300 (rofl)
kingdom of heaven (ridley scott bitches)
Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6650
I watched Apocalypse Now when i was 11, so I didn't understand it at all. Must watch it sometime..
https://i.imgur.com/HTmoH.jpg
Alone+EasyTarget
+38|6355|From: From: From:
in no order

saving private ryan
black hawk down
(that one about the submarines and the german encoder thing?)

cant think of any more
Sydney
2λчиэλ
+783|6841|Reykjavík, Iceland.
I watched Apocalypse Now, Director's cut a while ago, it was like fucking 5 hours.
MrCookie
good times
+31|5995|In a wheelchair.
saving private ryan
letters from iwo jima
windtalkers
flags of our fathers
black hawk down
legionair
back to i-life
+336|6621|EU

1. Stalingrad 1993 (German made)

2. Cross of Iron 1977 (German made)

3. 9th Company (Russian)

4. Band of Brothers

5. Black Hawk Down

. . .

Saving Ryan was the biggest bullshit ever made imo, come on it was just so "Hollywoodistic", except that amphibious attack and dieing at the beach.

Last edited by legionair (2008-01-29 05:59:55)

MrCookie
good times
+31|5995|In a wheelchair.
dammit i forgot 9th company
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6682|United States of America

Alone+EasyTarget wrote:

in no order

saving private ryan
black hawk down
(that one about the submarines and the german encoder thing?)

cant think of any more
U-571 was the name.
Aries_37
arrivederci frog
+368|6572|London
All these soviet sigs made me remember that I forgot enemy at the gate. Also worth a mention.
legionair
back to i-life
+336|6621|EU

MrCookie wrote:

dammit i forgot 9th company
than you should watch Grozovie Vorota. Its about war in Chechnya, first one.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6535|Long Island, New York

legionair wrote:

1. Stalingrad (German made)

2. Iron Cross (German made)

3. 9th Company (Russian)

4. Band of Brothers

5. Black Hawk Down

. . .

Saving Ryan was the biggest bullshit ever made imo, come on it was just so "Hollywoodistic", except that amphibious attack and dieing at the beach.
Band of Brothers was more of a TV series. Otherwise, I'd definitely have included it.

And no, I think just about all of Saving Private Ryan was excellently made. Hell, even Vin Diesel was in it and he put on a pretty good performance. That last scene with Tom Hanks firing his pistol at the tank...I'll never forget that.

Last edited by Poseidon (2008-01-29 05:16:17)

FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6408|'Murka

I only have three that I consider "best":

Saving Private Ryan
Black Hawk Down
We Were Soldiers

In no particular order...all are excellent. Many others are good, but those are tops for realistic depiction of actual events.

Last edited by FEOS (2008-01-29 05:17:27)

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
legionair
back to i-life
+336|6621|EU

Poseidon wrote:

legionair wrote:

1. Stalingrad (German made)

2. Iron Cross (German made)

3. 9th Company (Russian)

4. Band of Brothers

5. Black Hawk Down

. . .

Band of Brothers was more of a TV series. Otherwise, I'd definitely have included it.

And no, I think just about all of Saving Private Ryan was excellently made. Hell, even Vin Diesel was in it and he put on a pretty good performance. That last scene with Tom Hanks firing his pistol at the tank...I'll never forget that.
and what about shooting mortar rounds by hiting rock on it? that was hilarious, also how foolish german soldiers looked like when ran across MGs fire... duh!

edit:

FEOS wrote:

I only have three that I consider "best":

Saving Private Ryan
Black Hawk Down
We Were Soldiers

In no particular order...all are excellent. Many others are good, but those are tops for realistic depiction of actual events.
In that case- how many war movies you have actually seen?

Last edited by legionair (2008-01-29 05:20:14)

Sydney
2λчиэλ
+783|6841|Reykjavík, Iceland.
Full Metal Jacket
Das Boot
Downfall
Apocalypse Now
Saving Private Ryan
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6755|Argentina
1-BHD
2-FMJ
3-Das Boot
4-Platoon
5-Memphis Belle
CameronPoe
+2,925|6553
Der Untergang
Saving Private Ryan
Schindler's List
Das Boot
The Deer Hunter
tbone92major
+0|5931
1. Band of Brothers
2. Saving Private Ryan
3. Duell-Enemy at the Gates
4. Full Metal Jacket
5. Der Untergang
geNius
..!.,
+144|6439|SoCal
Most of these movies are from the last 20 years or so.

In order to create a best "of all time" list, you must first expand your horizons.
https://srejects.com/genius/srejects.png
FEOS
+1,182|6408|'Murka

legionair wrote:

In that case- how many war movies you have actually seen?
Well over a hundred of them, at least those available in the US--was pretty much all my dad and I watched when I was growing up.

Of the ones listed (again, widely available in the US), I think the only ones I haven't seen yet are Thin Red Line and Letters from Iwo Jima.

I did forget Schindler's List. Add that one to the list...thanks Cam.

BoB is a great, but I didn't consider that in the discussion, as it isn't a "war movie" but rather a mini-series.

When it comes to war movies, I go for realistic portrayals of actual events. So that narrows the list down quite a bit for me.

If I had to add two more, they would be Schindler's List and Enemy at the Gates. The battle of Stalingrad is not widely known about here, but the depiction of the battle (vice the fictional storyline) seemed to jibe with all the historical accounts I have read.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
FEOS
+1,182|6408|'Murka

geNius wrote:

Most of these movies are from the last 20 years or so.

In order to create a best "of all time" list, you must first expand your horizons.
The problem with that is that many of the movies made prior to the current period didn't do much of a job of portraying what war was actually like. There are certainly some decent, entertaining movies, but without the realism you see in many of the movies mentioned above, they just simply don't make the cut...IMO.
― Albert Einstein

DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6679|Disaster Free Zone

Poseidon wrote:

5. Braveheart (Details a fairly unknown war and how William Wallace led his fight for freedom so valiantly.)
Is a war Movie?

All right, well it goes straight to the top.

• Braveheart
  • Gladiator (is that a war movie?)
  • The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
  • The Great Escape
LaidBackNinja
Pony Slaystation
+343|6706|Charlie One Alpha
Hot Shots: Part Deux.
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine SecuROM slapping your face with its dick -- forever." -George Orwell
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6150|what

The Great Dictator
'Breaker' Morant
Letters from Iwo Jima
The Blue Max
Kingdom Of Heaven
The Great Escape
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
BobbyD.
+22|6594|Germany
All Quiet on the Western Front ("Im Westen nichts Neues") the original from 1930
Das Boot
Stalingrad
Saving Private Ryan
FMJ

In no particular order...all are excellent.

Last edited by BobbyD. (2008-01-29 05:51:18)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard