Dersmikner
+147|6491|Texas
After we're done nuking the Middle East, I'd be for spending a fortune on learning how to protect the Napa Valley from fallout, and then nuking San Fran.
Docjones
+7|5978|Connecticut
San Fran = Fail, what isn't banned there besides gays?
Commie Killer
+192|6380

Docjones wrote:

San Fran = Fail, what isn't banned there besides gays?
Protests.
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6803|Nårvei

usmarine2005 wrote:

Varegg wrote:

Could be that SF doesn't support how their finest is loosing their life in a meaningless conflict.
I knew one of the "euro pack" would agree with San Fran.
I knew a brainwashed and self-indoctrinated warmongerer would disagree
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6404|'Murka

Varegg wrote:

Could be that SF doesn't support how their finest is loosing their life in a meaningless conflict.
Strangely enough, not every single Marine is in Iraq right now.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
jord
+2,382|6671|The North, beyond the wall.
Hmmm, could they not use special effects to simulate the bridge? Maybe that would make it more economical.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6754

Can anyone get past the bridge issue?  I think we all can agree on that.  Now, why did San Fran not want them on the other streets?  I have yet to hear a good answer.

Last edited by usmarine2005 (2008-01-27 10:00:24)

deeznutz1245
Connecticut: our chimps are stealin yo' faces.
+483|6486|Connecticut

IRONCHEF wrote:

Marconius wrote:

As someone who actually lives in the city, this is what they wanted to do.  The Marines in their infinite wisdom were planning to get a shot of a few platoons marching down the Golden Gate Bridge, and their producer wanted to shut the Entire bridge down for two-three days.  Shutting down the bridge would've caused more traffic than anything Critical Mass could ever imagine, since the other bridge that would grant people access to Tiburon and that upper peninsula is several Miles away on the opposite side of the bay.

People would have to drive through downtown SF, cross the Bay Bridge, drive all the way up to Richmond, then cross the Richmond bridge, then finally head down to their work.  The amount of traffic that already exists on this route is atrocious, and shutting the whole bridge down would've been disastrous.  Cry about it all you want, but if you attempt to block the Major thoroughfares of a City and a main artery that connects two major landmasses, you are going to have some serious problems.
Thank you.  YOu beat me to it.

But even though this reason is completely just, and it should silence all the yahoo's who hate, just to hate, they will not be able to rationalize things. 

SF: 1

USMC: 0

Hoorah beotch!
Wow, geez I never thought of it that way. Try looking at it from my view for a second.

I left my hometown at the age of 17 leaving behind everyone I knew and cared about. When I got to where I was going it turned out not to be a spectacular place at all. Sure, it was an island but not like any other. This island was mysterious and powerful and produced these little creatures that bit the inside of my ears and nostrils (sand fleas). I wasnt allowed to harm the sand fleas because they belonged to my Senior Drill Instructor. Who is he you ask? Oh, let me introduce you...Liberal, pretentious, unthankful citizens of San Fransisco I would like you to meet Sgt Grey. He is the man who wakes me up every day for 14 weeks at 0430 in the morning. This man beleives that the more he hurts me, the less of a pussy I will become. His quarter deck sure is a bad place to be. Once Sgt Grey decides I am honed sharp enough to defend his country I am sent all over the world, but still getting up to run in the morning. Sure, I had some fun, banged some Asian/Italian/Australian/ chicks, woke up with some tattoo's but rest assured I sweat and bled to ensure that Americans slept safe at night. That includes you San Fransisco.

So I am sorry that your traffic may be backed up for a few hours, days whatever. But don't you think we have earned it?
Malloy must go
jord
+2,382|6671|The North, beyond the wall.

deeznutz1245 wrote:

IRONCHEF wrote:

Marconius wrote:

As someone who actually lives in the city, this is what they wanted to do.  The Marines in their infinite wisdom were planning to get a shot of a few platoons marching down the Golden Gate Bridge, and their producer wanted to shut the Entire bridge down for two-three days.  Shutting down the bridge would've caused more traffic than anything Critical Mass could ever imagine, since the other bridge that would grant people access to Tiburon and that upper peninsula is several Miles away on the opposite side of the bay.

People would have to drive through downtown SF, cross the Bay Bridge, drive all the way up to Richmond, then cross the Richmond bridge, then finally head down to their work.  The amount of traffic that already exists on this route is atrocious, and shutting the whole bridge down would've been disastrous.  Cry about it all you want, but if you attempt to block the Major thoroughfares of a City and a main artery that connects two major landmasses, you are going to have some serious problems.
Thank you.  YOu beat me to it.

But even though this reason is completely just, and it should silence all the yahoo's who hate, just to hate, they will not be able to rationalize things. 

SF: 1

USMC: 0

Hoorah beotch!
Wow, geez I never thought of it that way. Try looking at it from my view for a second.

I left my hometown at the age of 17 leaving behind everyone I knew and cared about. When I got to where I was going it turned out not to be a spectacular place at all. Sure, it was an island but not like any other. This island was mysterious and powerful and produced these little creatures that bit the inside of my ears and nostrils (sand fleas). I wasnt allowed to harm the sand fleas because they belonged to my Senior Drill Instructor. Who is he you ask? Oh, let me introduce you...Liberal, pretentious, unthankful citizens of San Fransisco I would like you to meet Sgt Grey. He is the man who wakes me up every day for 14 weeks at 0430 in the morning. This man beleives that the more he hurts me, the less of a pussy I will become. His quarter deck sure is a bad place to be. Once Sgt Grey decides I am honed sharp enough to defend his country I am sent all over the world, but still getting up to run in the morning. Sure, I had some fun, banged some Asian/Italian/Australian/ chicks, woke up with some tattoo's but rest assured I sweat and bled to ensure that Americans slept safe at night. That includes you San Fransisco.

So I am sorry that your traffic may be backed up for a few hours, days whatever. But don't you think we have earned it?
Good post.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6398|North Carolina
I would assume the no gays in the military thing still pisses them off...
Marconius
One-eyed Wonder Mod
+368|6687|San Francisco

deeznutz1245 wrote:

Yeah...you don't very well understand the impact of traffic here in the City, especially when it comes down to stopping up an entire Bridge.  This place was an absolute nightmare when the Bay Bridge was shut down for repairs; everything gets brought to a standstill.  People can't get to their businesses (to either run them or buy things), people get stuck in traffic for the entire day, public transportation nearly gets scuttled since it's stuck in the same traffic, tourists can't go anywhere, and the blockups can last for several miles; traffic jams existing up to over an hour away (60 miles) from the stopping point.

So fine, you're a Marine and you suffer Marine hardships.  That was your choice, not ours.  Therefore I don't personally feel that causing yet Another bridge shutdown for a mere commercial is justified.  You'd rather have millions of people angry at the Marines simply because some idiot Producer just Really Really wanted one shot for his commercial?

As for the shutdown of California street, it's one of the main thoroughfares of the City.  Blocking traffic on that stops the highly-used 1 California Muni line, plus would cause people to route through other parallel avenues, causing inner-city traffic as I've already explained.  Traffic would end up blocking the 38 Geary and could potentially block Park Presidio, the cross street that leads to the Golden Gate Bridge.

All in all, the producer of the video would've gotten their shots had they picked better places for a full street shutdown.  In the event of protests and marches, those are all held on Market Street, a street that can actually take blocked forms of traffic, plus protests and marches are directed by the police.  Sure, things can get crazy with those marches, but the are held in areas that aren't traffic heavy.  If you actually live in the City, you know how to get around them, whereas that might not be the case when all the thoroughfares getting to your job in the morning are blocked because of one major street being shut down in an area of the City that can't handle massive traffic.

It's much ado about nothing; or it's the Marine's fault for choosing an idiot director/producer who doesn't understand the traffic of a major City.
MAGUIRE93
High Angle Hell
+182|6187|Schofield Barracks

Marconius wrote:

they risk there lives for you and u cant let them use a bridge for a couple of days?
cowami
OY, BITCHTITS!
+1,106|6282|Noo Yawk, Noo Yawk

MAGUIRE93 wrote:

Marconius wrote:

they risk there lives for you and u cant let them use a bridge for a couple of days?
You do realize how many cars cross the Golden Gate Bridge, right?

At the least, in New York, we have plenty of other bridges to rely on if one were to be closed. San Francisco has two.
https://i.imgur.com/PfIpcdn.gif
deeznutz1245
+483|6486|Connecticut
I don't see how the bridge would need to be closed for three days. This is the silent drill team we are talking about here, they won't need more than one take if you get what I am saying.
Malloy must go
MAGUIRE93
High Angle Hell
+182|6187|Schofield Barracks

cowami wrote:

MAGUIRE93 wrote:

Marconius wrote:

At the least, in New York, we have plenty of other bridges to rely on if one were to be closed. San Francisco has two.
soldiers fight a die for u to be able to use that bridge they should be able to use it if they want
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6754

Marconius wrote:

So fine, you're a Marine and you suffer Marine hardships.  That was your choice, not ours.
If people didn't "choose to" you quite possibly would not have a choice at all.... except moving to another country.  However, your attitude is exactly what I expect out of someone from San Fran.
mikkel
+383|6594

MAGUIRE93 wrote:

cowami wrote:

MAGUIRE93 wrote:

soldiers fight a die for u to be able to use that bridge they should be able to use it if they want
So, if you sign up for any branch of the military, you're magically more entitled to anything anywhere than anyone else? Sounds swell.

It seems like the city of San Francisco denied this for practical purposes. It's also certainly within their rights to reject requests to use their city in advertisements for things that the city does not wish to be associated with. If they turned down a pro-war demonstration, however, that'd be completely different.
Marconius
One-eyed Wonder Mod
+368|6687|San Francisco

usmarine2005 wrote:

Marconius wrote:

So fine, you're a Marine and you suffer Marine hardships.  That was your choice, not ours.
If people didn't "choose to" you quite possibly would not have a choice at all.... except moving to another country.  However, your attitude is exactly what I expect out of someone from San Fran.
I was pointing out that calling out what a Marine goes through is irrelevant when talking about the practicality of shutting down both a bridge that millions of people use every day and a major thoroughfare in an area of SF that doesn't handle high traffic loads.

The Marines aren't under attack here, and everyone just wants to bash SF when they don't know anything about the issues brought up by the traffic generated by the way they wanted to shoot the commercial.  I don't know how to put it any simpler. 

No one cares if you want to shoot a commercial; by all means, go for it here.  No matter who you are, if you planned to shut the bridge down and California street, you'd be denied.  If it was Hillary Clinton shooting the same commercial, it'd be the same.

As much as you don't want to believe it, the simple fact of the matter is that it wasn't the fact that the commercial was for the Marines that it was denied in the City.  It was the fact that what the director and producer wanted to do in the City would've caused countless numbers of traffic and business-related problems, therefore it was denied.

Christ...if you still want to argue that you are somehow being stepped on by all of this, it was just a fucking commercial.  Bash the director and the producer of the spot who didn't understand the consequences of what they were asking for; don't blame the City.
deeznutz1245
+483|6486|Connecticut

mikkel wrote:

. It's also certainly within their rights to reject requests to use their city in advertisements for things that the city does not wish to be associated with.
Right, because not many people see the common denomination in San Fransisco, United States of America and The United States Marine Corps.
Malloy must go
deeznutz1245
+483|6486|Connecticut

Marconius wrote:

usmarine2005 wrote:

Marconius wrote:

I was pointing out that calling out what a Marine goes through is irrelevant when talking about the practicality of shutting down both a bridge that millions of people use every day and a major thoroughfare in an area of SF that doesn't handle high traffic loads.

The Marines aren't under attack here, and everyone just wants to bash SF when they don't know anything about the issues brought up by the traffic generated by the way they wanted to shoot the commercial.  I don't know how to put it any simpler. 

No one cares if you want to shoot a commercial; by all means, go for it here.  No matter who you are, if you planned to shut the bridge down and California street, you'd be denied.  If it was Hillary Clinton shooting the same commercial, it'd be the same.

As much as you don't want to believe it, the simple fact of the matter is that it wasn't the fact that the commercial was for the Marines that it was denied in the City.  It was the fact that what the director and producer wanted to do in the City would've caused countless numbers of traffic and business-related problems, therefore it was denied.

Christ...if you still want to argue that you are somehow being stepped on by all of this, it was just a fucking commercial.  Bash the director and the producer of the spot who didn't understand the consequences of what they were asking for; don't blame the City.
I can understand the economical consequences that San Fran may have endured, however, seeing how it is the Marines I am wondering if some compromise may have been made. Perhaps 4 hours to get a quick shot, after all like I stated before it is the Silent Drill team. There aren't few mistakes there are none.
Malloy must go
Marconius
One-eyed Wonder Mod
+368|6687|San Francisco
Spoken like a true person who has no experience with the way commercials are made...I'm sure the Marines can do their stuff quickly.  Unfortunately, the production company making the commercial (cameramen, production assistants, gaffers, sound mixers, boom operators, focus pullers, etc.) aren't.  Everything takes time.
HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5954|Washington DC
Couldn't they have changed around the theme or whatever of the commercial and then do it at night? Surely at 2AM there isn't anywhere near as much traffic as at 9AM?
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6754

HurricaИe wrote:

Couldn't they have changed around the theme or whatever of the commercial and then do it at night? Surely at 2AM there isn't anywhere near as much traffic as at 9AM?
Why should they?  Did critical mass have to change their time?
HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5954|Washington DC

usmarine2005 wrote:

HurricaИe wrote:

Why should they?  Did critical mass have to change their time?
No group should get special treatment. If Critical Mass was allowed to close crucial things like parts of the bridge then the Marines should be allowed to. Conversely, if the Marines weren't allowed to then neither should Critical Mass.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6754

Can We Please Move Past The Bridge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard