Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6592|London, England

Marconius wrote:

As someone who actually lives in the city, this is what they wanted to do.  The Marines in their infinite wisdom were planning to get a shot of a few platoons marching down the Golden Gate Bridge, and their producer wanted to shut the Entire bridge down for two-three days.  Shutting down the bridge would've caused more traffic than anything Critical Mass could ever imagine, since the other bridge that would grant people access to Tiburon and that upper peninsula is several Miles away on the opposite side of the bay.

People would have to drive through downtown SF, cross the Bay Bridge, drive all the way up to Richmond, then cross the Richmond bridge, then finally head down to their work.  The amount of traffic that already exists on this route is atrocious, and shutting the whole bridge down would've been disastrous.  Cry about it all you want, but if you attempt to block the Major thoroughfares of a City and a main artery that connects two major landmasses, you are going to have some serious problems.
Oh well that makes sense I guess. I don't think any country or city anywhere would let an important bridge be closed down for a long time (3 days is quite long) just for an advert.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6732

Marconius wrote:

As someone who actually lives in the city, this is what they wanted to do.  The Marines in their infinite wisdom were planning to get a shot of a few platoons marching down the Golden Gate Bridge, and their producer wanted to shut the Entire bridge down for two-three days.  Shutting down the bridge would've caused more traffic than anything Critical Mass could ever imagine, since the other bridge that would grant people access to Tiburon and that upper peninsula is several Miles away on the opposite side of the bay.

People would have to drive through downtown SF, cross the Bay Bridge, drive all the way up to Richmond, then cross the Richmond bridge, then finally head down to their work.  The amount of traffic that already exists on this route is atrocious, and shutting the whole bridge down would've been disastrous.  Cry about it all you want, but if you attempt to block the Major thoroughfares of a City and a main artery that connects two major landmasses, you are going to have some serious problems.
What?  How about you cry all you want.

"However, the Marines would have just shut down one lane of California Street for a few minutes at a time"
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6622|USA

Marconius wrote:

God, I hate it when Marconious is right.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6655|United States of America
He may not be all right, lowing.

The article says they weren't allowed to go on California Street either.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6732

lowing wrote:

Did any of you read the article?

"However, the Marines would have just shut down one lane of California Street for a few minutes at a time"
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6655|United States of America
Yes, I did read it. That's why I posted before you.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6732

DesertFox- wrote:

Yes, I did read it. That's why I posted before you.
Well at least you did.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
American news sites never load up for me (or rarely do) - and idonno why, so that's why I didn't read it, ma'am.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6732

Mek-Izzle wrote:

American news sites never load up for me (or rarely do) - and idonno why, so that's why I didn't read it, ma'am.
I wasn't talking to you per say.  Mainly irontard and marc.

Last edited by usmarine2005 (2008-01-26 14:14:29)

Mekstizzle
WALKER
I think when people make a news article post/topic they should post the whole article in quotes in the forum post for anyone that (for some reason) can't access the site.

Also it's easier on the eyes reading stuff on this place than on most websites
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6194|Escea

Just me or does that Dutch commercial look like a movie promo lol.

Its kinda rediculous that they won't let them show it. Its a little like the problem over here as the commercials 'glamourised' the army and war as some would say, pile of bs.
Master*
Banned
+416|6465|United States

usmarine2005 wrote:

lowing wrote:

A few minutes can mean alot for traffic.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6732

Master* wrote:

But that is ok as long as it is hippie protestors and homos right?
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6622|USA

usmarine2005 wrote:

lowing wrote:

If you shut 1 lane down in Atlanta for 1 minute you will back up traffic all the way to Chattanooga. Hell it is backed up that far with all lanes open.

I do not believe you can shoot an ad 1 minute at a time. I am sorry, I gotta agree with Marconius on this one. No commercial is worth shutting down traffic. All of SF's gay pride crap that blocks traffic is part of the city, it is the same as Marti Gras in New Orleans. It is expected.
Marconius
One-eyed Wonder Mod
+368|6665|San Francisco
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c … mp;sc=1000

Apart from California Street (which is a fairly busy street in SF), they were Also going to shut down the bridge.

Ultimately, most of you are overlooking the clear issue of this case and are just trying to bash San Francisco.  You can't just go about blocking up traffic in a city for a commercial, no matter what the content. 

Large, city-wide events that re-route traffic are accepted here, and even Critical Mass tends to turn away from some of the busiest streets (yes, it Does start on Market street, but Market isn't a direct connection to the Bay Bridge nor the Golden Gate Bridge, and they don't cross Park Presidio Avenue), but nothing is worth the shitstorm of shutting down an entire bridge.  Shutting the Golden Gate Bridge down for just 5 minutes would back traffic up all the way down to Daly City and all the way up to San Rafael.

Shutting California street down would divert cars all around it, blocking up Geary and adjacent streets, causing a lot of inner-city traffic.  The traffic controller was right in not letting them film, simply for traffic reasons alone.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6732

Marconius wrote:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/10/04/MNH0SILMH.DTL&hw=marines+commercial&sn=001&sc=1000

Apart from California Street (which is a fairly busy street in SF), they were Also going to shut down the bridge.
I agree with the bridge.  But let us not ignore the other part.
Master*
Banned
+416|6465|United States

usmarine2005 wrote:

Master* wrote:

Im pretty sure theres at least one old conservative neo nazi redneck out there.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6732

Master* wrote:

usmarine2005 wrote:

Master* wrote:

No son you missed the point.  As long as it is anti-war or gay marches it is ok to disrupt traffic right?
137twozerosniper
+57|6536|UK
yeah thats cool but ill stick to the Army

[youtube]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=weudbL9tXCQ[/youtube]

Last edited by 137twozerosniper (2008-01-26 14:43:41)

Reciprocity
+721|6551|the dank(super) side of Oregon

(T)eflon(S)hadow wrote:

Start by cutting off all State and Federal budget allocations...
you realize the left and right coasts pay for the worthless, shitty flyover states?
Master*
Banned
+416|6465|United States

usmarine2005 wrote:

Master* wrote:

usmarine2005 wrote:

No son you missed the point.  As long as it is anti-war or gay marches it is ok to disrupt traffic right?
Not sure.
137twozerosniper
+57|6536|UK
can someone fix mine for me cant get it tow work
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6732

137twozerosniper wrote:

I do not think you can use eurotrash youtube???????
137twozerosniper
+57|6536|UK
oh okay
Mekstizzle
WALKER

usmarine2005 wrote:

137twozerosniper wrote:

I do not think you can use eurotrash youtube???????
Yeah, it's sexual regional discrimination on behalf of Chuy, even though he's become a Euro Weenie himself

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard