lowing
Banned
+1,662|6660|USA
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080125/ap_ … d_to_study

I can't even believe this, how about we do this. You either study get good grades or your quality of life will suffer. Now I think that should be incentive enough without having to pay students for doing shit they are supposed to be doing anyway.
adam1503
+85|6397|Manchester, UK
This seems like the wrong solution to the problem of these kids underperforming.  There is no incentive for those as the top of the class to achieve as well as they do:  the achievement of learning is the reward in itself.  Sure, this idea will help to improve motivation and grades, but it has this result for the wrong reason: kids will go to these classes because they get paid, not because they want to learn.

Its a cause and effect argument:  Are the kids underperforming because they're not motivated?  Or are they not motivated because they're not learning?  Personally I believe the latter, and if we can address the problem of why kids are underperforming instead of bribing them to go to class, them we will start to see real concrete improvements in their education.

Last edited by adam1503 (2008-01-24 21:11:32)

Protecus
Prophet of Certain Certainties
+28|6531
Aside from the hourly wage, eighth-graders will get a $75 bonus, and 11th-graders $125, if they improve their math and science grades to a B and achieve certain test scores. For the older kids, that adds up to $605 for a semester of studying.
Well, hell, I'm gonna stop studying. Then, when I'm failing, I'll jump into this program and start making me the green. If only I were still in high school. And stupid.

The hope is that the bribes will boost students' motivation to learn, attend class and get better grades.
Atleast they call it what it is, a bribe.

I'm with lowing, you don't work hard and dick around in school, its your damn fault for failing at life. If I lived in Georgia right now, I'd be pissed that this was where my money was going to instead of finding more water.

Lord knows y'all need that real bad.
Mitch
16 more years
+877|6534|South Florida
Its a fucking brilliant idea. you FORCE kids to get up every day, and go to school. They have no choice.
First of all, school should be a choice, if you dont want an education then your an idiot and have a shitty life kthxbye. Or it should atleast be the parents choice. But no, In soviet america, school attends you.

I think its a brilliant fucking idea to give kids a reason to do good in school! Absolutly brilliant. And considering my dad pays $3000 a fucking year for school taxes, i think it should be put to good use.
15 more years! 15 more years!
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6660|USA

Mitch wrote:

Its a fucking brilliant idea. you FORCE kids to get up every day, and go to school. They have no choice.
First of all, school should be a choice, if you dont want an education then your an idiot and have a shitty life kthxbye. Or it should atleast be the parents choice. But no, In soviet america, school attends you.

I think its a brilliant fucking idea to give kids a reason to do good in school! Absolutly brilliant. And considering my dad pays $3000 a fucking year for school taxes, i think it should be put to good use.
How about this for an incentive? Get your lazy ass out of bed and get to school or get the hell out of MY house and go figure life out for yourself
Mitch
16 more years
+877|6534|South Florida
Think about it:
Grade per class:
A: $3 per day
B: $2 per day
C: $1 per day
D: no bonus
F: no bonus

If you get straight A's in all your classes you could make maybe $12+ a day. $58-ish per week. But you would also have to be smart, and work hard.
Mitch
16 more years
+877|6534|South Florida

lowing wrote:

Mitch wrote:

How about this for an incentive? Get your lazy ass out of bed and get to school or get the hell out of MY house and go figure life out for yourself
and im homeschooled thanks. i do school in my own house. and while most 10th graders are learning some fucking rediculous pointless useless math im learning shit that actually matters in life.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6547|Long Island, New York

Mitch wrote:

And if people didn't force kids to go to school, where do you think America would be today?

Probably below Sudan in terms of education.

Kids don't want to go to school because THEY'RE KIDS. It's kind of human nature for someone not wanting to get up early and learn for 7 hours. But it has to be done to help this country (and all other countries at that) continue to stay on top of things. New diseases pop up every decade...if people didn't go to school, do you think we'd be solving them? I doubt it.

School pays off in the long run... and this is coming from someone who absolutely hates his high school.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6414|North Carolina
School vouchers FTW
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6660|USA

Mitch wrote:

lowing wrote:

Mitch wrote:

and im homeschooled thanks. i do school in my own house. and while most 10th graders are learning some fucking rediculous pointless useless math im learning shit that actually matters in life.
I have no problem with home schooling, I love the idea that parents and their kids take charge of their own education and get away from govt. schools.

However, I do not believe you should be "bribed" to learn. Learning has its rewards and money can be one of them, but you have to EARN the right to reap the rewards by going to school and get the credentials required to build a quality life.
san4
The Mas
+311|6697|NYC, a place to live

lowing wrote:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080125/ap_on_re_us/paid_to_study

I can't even believe this, how about we do this. You either study get good grades or your quality of life will suffer. Now I think that should be incentive enough without having to pay students for doing shit they are supposed to be doing anyway.
This reward system seems like an attempt to do what shitty parents have failed to do, motivate the kids to study. In effect, it levels the playing field between kids with good parents and kids with stupid drug-addicted assholes for parents. I'm not gonna blame kids for having shitty parents.
Mitch
16 more years
+877|6534|South Florida

Poseidon wrote:

Mitch wrote:

And if people didn't force kids to go to school, where do you think America would be today?

Kids don't want to go to school because THEY'RE KIDS. It's kind of human nature for someone not wanting to get up early and learn for 7 hours. But it has to be done to help this country (and all other countries at that) continue to stay on top of things. New diseases pop up every decade...if people didn't go to school, do you think we'd be solving them? I doubt it.

School pays off in the long run... and this is coming from someone who absolutely hates his high school.
So in a world where you get roughly 70 years to live, and only 1 childhood, you think kids should spend 8 hours a day in school. When they could be outside, playing, having fun, enjoying themselves, and in the process, learning what they naturally learn??

School should be like college, you go to learn what your interested in. not whatever the teacher thinks you should learn. im all for school up to maybe 7th grade, but at that point you start learning some god damn stupid useless shit that your just gunna forget over the summer. Garenteed.

What if you ended school at 7th grade and the 8th grade year is an optional college-type school. Where you can go to help decide what you want to do for the future, get a taste of how things work in the real world, and if you know what you want to learn, learn it! and only it.

Last edited by Mitch (2008-01-24 21:37:17)

lowing
Banned
+1,662|6660|USA

san4 wrote:

lowing wrote:

This reward system seems like an attempt to do what shitty parents have failed to do, motivate the kids to study. In effect, it levels the playing field between kids with good parents and kids with stupid drug-addicted assholes for parents. I'm not gonna blame kids for having shitty parents.
Ya know what? I can buy that perspective? But this whole idea just leaves a bad taste for me. Here is the thing, there is such a thing as a shitty kid as well, regardless of parents
adam1503
+85|6397|Manchester, UK

san4 wrote:

Do you think this incentive will really solve the problem of kids not being motivated to study?  As I said, you need to address the fundamental problem behind why these kids arent learning.  Its not as if they're stupid, the article states this is aimed at those students who do poorly at maths and science but excel at others, which means these kids are capable of learning without needing financial incentives.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6547|Long Island, New York

Mitch wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

Mitch wrote:

So in a world where you get roughly 70 years to live, and only 1 childhood, you think kids should spend 8 hours a day in school. When they could be outside, playing, having fun, enjoying themselves, and in the process, learning what they naturally learn??

School should be like college, you go to learn what your interested in. not whatever the teacher thinks you should learn. im all for school up to maybe 7th grade, but at that point you start learning some god damn stupid useless shit that your just gunna forget over the summer. Garenteed.

What if you ended school at 7th grade and the 8th grade year is an optional college-type school. Where you can go to help decide what you want to do for the future, get a taste of how things work in the real world, and if you know what you want to learn, learn it! and only it.
Because God knows that everyone knows what profession they want to do when they're older when they're 10.

I've changed what I've wanted to be from the time I first got into MIDDLE SCHOOL about 6 times, and now I'm finally set on something. If people picked what they wanted to do when they were in 7th grade they would be fucked so royally that their ass hairs would fall off. What if you said you wanted to be a cop when you were in 7th grade and then decided you didn't like it? You would be SCREWED. Like I said, between 7th grade and now I've changed what I wanted to be about 6 times. Luckily now at 16, I'm finally set on one occupation, but I still have an interest in learning things. If I decided to go with my first choice, I may have just stabbed my eyes out with flaming forks by about now because I realized as I got older it's boring as FUCK.

Yes, true. You only have one life to live and it's about 75-80 years on average. But if you're dumb as a fucking stump, you might as well be dead. As for me, I'm gonna prefer to be able to have intelligent conversations with people instead of being a dumbass and "enjoying" myself.

All of school (except maybe Math which is arguable) has a point. Science is to understand the world around you. Social Studies is to understand what's happened in the past and how it's shaped the world today. English is so that you can speak at a higher level than a braindead chimp. Alternate languages...well, they can come in handy and help enhance your brain generally.

And you can drop out, by the way when you're 16. Why not when you're younger? Because if you're 14 and absolutely want to drop out, you may change your mind later. If you decide to drop out when you're fucking 11...that's it. You're done.

All play and no brains makes Johnny a fucking douchebag.

Last edited by Poseidon (2008-01-24 21:52:45)

Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6725

Mitch wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

Mitch wrote:

You are absolutely right.. f*ck school... especially when there are free card board boxes we could crash in... and old food that restaurants throw in their dumpsters... lol...
Love is the answer
trackstarr
+18|6711|Swing and a miss

Poseidon wrote:

Mitch wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

Because God knows that everyone knows what profession they want to do when they're older when they're 10.

I've changed what I've wanted to be from the time I first got into MIDDLE SCHOOL about 6 times, and now I'm finally set on something. If people picked what they wanted to do when they were in 7th grade they would be fucked so royally that their ass hairs would fall off. What if you said you wanted to be a cop when you were in 7th grade and then decided you didn't like it? You would be SCREWED. Like I said, between 7th grade and now I've changed what I wanted to be about 6 times. Luckily now at 16, I'm finally set on one occupation, but I still have an interest in learning things. If I decided to go with my first choice, I may have just stabbed my eyes out with flaming forks by about now because I realized as I got older it's boring as FUCK.

Yes, true. You only have one life to live and it's about 75-80 years on average. But if you're dumb as a fucking stump, you might as well be dead. As for me, I'm gonna prefer to be able to have intelligent conversations with people instead of being a dumbass and "enjoying" myself.

All of school (except maybe Math which is arguable) has a point. Science is to understand the world around you. Social Studies is to understand what's happened in the past and how it's shaped the world today. English is so that you can speak at a higher level than a braindead chimp. Alternate languages...well, they can come in handy and help enhance your brain generally.

And you can drop out, by the way when you're 16. Why not when you're younger? Because if you're 14 and absolutely want to drop out, you may change your mind later. If you decide to drop out when you're fucking 11...that's it. You're done.

All play and no brains makes Johnny a fucking douchebag.
Completely true
From 6th grade to current (11th grade) Ive change my career so many times that if i were to choose it at a young age i would absolutely hate the choice i made.

Kids hate school but it is necessary for us to go. We should not be payed to go.
I mean going to school forcefully has discipline me to work hard and strive for whatever choice of career i want to have when i grow up.

Made me a better person.
We cannot benefit kids for not doing good in certain subjects. You'd figure the parents would spend more time with the kid to work the grade up to passing level.
Because the kid is not passing he is not getting the material, obviously.
Maybe the money should be invested into after school programs specialized in the subjects they are failing in. Scheduled dates for them to attend.

I have failed a class before, it was my fault for letting the grade drop. But i also could not understand what she was talking about.
The following semester same problem, but studied using the book.

Kids should be responsible for their grades but it is also the parents responsibility to help them achieve better grades by talking to them about it instead of just grounding them. They would appreciate it if their tax dollars were put into tutoring programs then paying for students to work for their grades.
TeamOrange
Don't be that guy
+84|6320

Mitch wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

Mitch wrote:

You might like this:
http://www.johntaylorgatto.com/

http://www.cantrip.org/gatto.html --- funny, somewhat true interesting read
Benzin
+576|6008

lowing wrote:

I think one thing you guys missed in that article: It's being paid out to the children of welfare parents. I fucking hate welfare in the USA. When I worked at a grocery store for over 2 years, the shit I would see people buying with their fucking food stamp debit cards. I saw one bitch buy a wedding cake with the shit. Such BS.

Mitch, you were bitching about some math that will never help you. Obviously your parents are ignorance, because parents show through in their children. As ignorant as you are ... I can't imagine your parents. But math is yes, to teach you how to solve complex problems with numbers. But the other purpose is to make you exercise your brain and look at things logically and from multiple angles. If it wasn't for the logical processes taught in math, many people wouldn't be able to solve the simplest of problems.
Johnny_Extremer
I Am McLovin!!!!
+22|6270
I still wouldn't study unless I found it interesting.
CloakedStarship
+76|6574

Mitch wrote:

Your saying kids are going to learn how to read, write, do algebra and calculus, and learn the basic fundamentals of science while rolling around in the grass?  Please.

To get paid, you need a job.  To have a job you need an education.  To get an education, you have to PAY.  Not the other way around, thats just how it goes.  And if you start paying kids to study, they're going to get the wrong idea about how things work, and only further the lazy attitude that seems to be forming around this country.  Might as well turn the whole system upside down.
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6819|NÃ¥rvei

Money as an incentive to do better at school is imho the wrong to go, some kind of perks maybe but not money ...

There are several reasons for underperforming meaning not all students are able to perform on the same line as "normal" students, ADHD is one of those and allthought they are clever enough they have problems concentrating in a normal school setting and needs special attention like smaller groups, laptop, medication or other means to perform to the best of their abilities.

Just plain lazyness is imo a parental problem and should be solved by the parents if possible ...

The general idea of the project however i can understand why will try such a project out seing as getting the most possible kids out of school with better grades will in the end be better for the US as you will have a more competent workforce and ratio of kids choosing higher education will rise, and i think we all know the US definately need more taxdollars and more people in the workforce than outside collecting welfare ...
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
JahManRed
wank
+646|6637|IRELAND

Thinks that's bad..........The UK is going to pay fat people not to eat fatty food. The responsibility of the individual is being taken from us.

"The new strategy to tackle poor eating habits and sedentary lifestyles includes the suggestion that people should receive financial rewards or shopping vouchers for achieving and maintaining a healthy weight. "
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/u … 238697.ece
Magpie
international welder....Douchebag Dude, <3 ur mom
+257|6535|Milkystania, yurop
When I was that age we got 158,80 $ per month by the gov ( Everybody who goes to school gets it)

And at Uni u get  283,27  a weekif its fulltime studies
deeznutz1245
Connecticut: our chimps are stealin yo' faces.
+483|6502|Connecticut

Mitch wrote:

Its a fucking brilliant idea. you FORCE kids to get up every day, and go to school.
That is the problem. Since minimum wage is $5.85 in GA kids can make more by failing their classes and staying in school. You need able men and women to enter the work force to stimulate the economy, rather than have them drain it.

Mitch wrote:

And considering my dad pays $3000 a fucking year for school taxes, i think it should be put to good use.
How will you feel when you enter the middle class and have to pay for it?
Malloy must go

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard