apollo_fi
The Flying Kalakukko.
+94|6535|The lunar module
The Nikkei, Hang Seng, ASX, Shanghai and Mumbai stock markets have taken a beating today. Euro markets open soon, and it looks like they will follow suit.

What really worries me is what will happen in NYSE, since Wall street didn't have a business day yesterday.

Stockbrokers will have lots of pending sell orders.

Will there be a major crash, or just an adjustment? What's your take?
Mr.Dooomed
Find your center.
+752|6332

What scared the Asian market??
Nature is a powerful force. Those who seek to subdue nature, never do so permanently.
=NHB=Shadow
hi
+322|6370|California

Im_Dooomed wrote:

the loss of many sharks and us asians not being able to drink shark fin soup anymorz
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6605|132 and Bush

Xbone Stormsurgezz
DonFck
Hibernator
+3,227|6636|Finland

Wall Street opens in 7 hours, but here's some direction as to what's been going on during one day:

Nikkei: down 5,7%
Hang Seng: down 8%
ASX: down 6%
ISI: down 10% today and 7,41% yesterday
Helsinki: down over 5%

Analysts are saying that the bottom will be reached in a few weeks. These are the largest drops since 9/11

Im_Dooomed wrote:

The general worry over the U.S. housing market and the fear of the country going into recession.

So, global recession, anyone? Shit, and I've got a huge loan too..
I need around tree fiddy.
<BoTM>J_Aero
Qualified Expert
+62|6470|Melbourne - Home of Football
What scared those markets was lingering fears about US recession, the crisis in credit and European sell-offs overnight (Aus. time).

And yes, you're looking at a sell off on the Dow Jones anywhere between 5 - 10%
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6605|132 and Bush

All this talk does wonderful things for consumer confidence..lol. It makes me want to go out and boost up the economy.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6679|Canberra, AUS

Kmarion wrote:

All this talk does wonderful things for consumer confidence..lol. It makes me want to go out and boost up the economy.
It does means wonders for those who are not affected directly by the impacts. Everything becomes cheaper!
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6605|132 and Bush

Spark wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

It does means wonders for those who are not affected directly by the impacts. Everything becomes cheaper!
That is until the supply slows to the demand.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Mr.Dooomed
Find your center.
+752|6332

Ya, sadly we have to just trust in this fake money system. I mean, nothing is backed by gold or precious metals anymore, those items are in their own category OF these markets so we can just invest this paper money into precious metals. I mean WTF? It makes no sense at all, but yet it's just the way our world works now after we got off standards of GOLD/Silver Precious stones...REAL Trade.
Nature is a powerful force. Those who seek to subdue nature, never do so permanently.
<BoTM>J_Aero
Qualified Expert
Wall Street is absolutely plummeting, right now.
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6450|The Land of Scott Walker

DonFck wrote:

Wall Street opens in 7 hours, but here's some direction as to what's been going on during one day:

Nikkei: down 5,7%
Hang Seng: down 8%
ASX: down 6%
ISI: down 10% today and 7,41% yesterday
Helsinki: down over 5%

Analysts are saying that the bottom will be reached in a few weeks. These are the largest drops since 9/11

Im_Dooomed wrote:

The general worry over the U.S. housing market and the fear of the country going into recession.

So, global recession, anyone? Shit, and I've got a huge loan too..
Fixed or adjustable rate?
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6814|Nårvei

Kmarion wrote:

Wait until the miracle boost check from Bush comes, maybe a new boost holiday will come out of this
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
adam1503
+85|6392|Manchester, UK
The Fed has made its biggest interest rate cut of 0.75%.  The last time they made such a big cut was 1982.  A chief investment strategist at Oppenheimer in New York has said that this may be the worst porst-war recession.
apollo_fi
The Flying Kalakukko.
+94|6535|The lunar module
Further rate cuts to be expected later this month:

http://www.reuters.com/article/bondsNew … 5220080122
Varegg
+2,206|6814|Nårvei

adam1503 wrote:

The Fed has made its biggest interest rate cut of 0.75%.  The last time they made such a big cut was 1982.  A chief investment strategist at Oppenheimer in New York has said that this may be the worst porst-war recession.
0,5% was expected, 0,75% is maybe to much to fast seing as inflasion lurks in the dark ...
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
<BoTM>J_Aero
Qualified Expert

Varegg wrote:

0,5% was expected, 0,75% is maybe to much to fast seing as inflasion lurks in the dark ...
No, when you're worried about your economy slipping into recession you definitely have to cut hard and fast to promote expansionary spending. That gives you the chance of either flattening the slump and keeping out of recession or at least making the recession a very quick one.
Varegg
+2,206|6814|Nårvei

<BoTM>J_Aero wrote:

Varegg wrote:

No, when you're worried about your economy slipping into recession you definitely have to cut hard and fast to promote expansionary spending. That gives you the chance of either flattening the slump and keeping out of recession or at least making the recession a very quick one.
Will be hard to dodge this recession if inflasion sets in with additional ratecuts that only smells of panic, and panic has struck the stockmarket into a bear market meaning it will go further down no matter how much further down the rate is going. This will only make it a tad better for those with large loans not meaning they will automatically boost the few dollars in rate relief into spending it on consumer goods or stocks.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6533|Global Command
I didn't point it out in my OP but a freefall for the U.S. is a freefall for billions of other people.

Which is something the " down with America " crowd never thinks about.
<BoTM>J_Aero
Qualified Expert
While I agree that inflation is an ever present threat to any economy, and currently running at over 4% in the US economy, I still think that the Fed made the right decision in cutting rates. I will, however, agree, that the move looks rather panicky, and that perhaps the actions of central banks should not be dictated by attempting to massage stock indices into the shape they'd like. The only good thing about rising inflation is that it would alleviate some of the pain caused by very high housing / property prices. I still think the decision to cut was the right move, the Federal Reserve must try to push back confidence and stability into the market, this is one way of achieving that, even if the effect isn't immediate.
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6004|...

ATG wrote:

I didn't point it out in my OP but a freefall for the U.S. is a freefall for billions of other people.

if the US economy collapses, ours gets a serious beating. Very serious. America is our betting horse and I don't think we'll like it when it breaks it's leg.

edit; basically I'd think we try and do anything possible to prevent it from going in a crashing state. altough it's on the brink if we manage to insert a load of money in it now we might just save it.

Last edited by dayarath (2008-01-22 07:33:06)

inane little opines
CameronPoe
+2,925|6560

ATG wrote:

The basic lesson we need to learn here is that we have to become more reliant on markets like China and India. A lesson US financial institutions need to learn is that they need to be more fiscally responsible and not try and make a fast irresponsible buck that isn't matched by a commensurate increase in productivity (i.e., false growth or confidence-driven over 'growth').

Bernanke's retarded response? Make borrowing money easier with a 0.75% cut in interest rates when the problem with the world economy is US debt and the high price of oil. Retard.

Last edited by CameronPoe (2008-01-22 07:41:30)

Varegg
+2,206|6814|Nårvei

CameronPoe wrote:

ATG wrote:

The basic lesson we need to learn here is that we have to become more reliant on markets like China and India. A lesson US financial institutions need to learn is that they need to be more fiscally responsible and not try and make a fast irresponsible buck that isn't matched by a commensurate increase in productivity (i.e., false growth or confidence-driven over 'growth').

Bernanke's retarded response? Make borrowing money easier with a 0.75% cut in interest rates when the problem with the world economy is US debt and the high price of oil. Retard.
I don't believe the thought is so retarded Cam - it's meant to be a relief for those with unbearable houseloans to cope better and to boost their believes that this will blow over without to much hazzle, not for others to loan more, i think with recession on the doorstep most Americans aren't to horny about lending money anyways ...

Do agree with your thoughts of dealing more with Asia to cut the dependency on the US market alone ...
ghettoperson
+1,943|6653

Varegg wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

ATG wrote:

I don't believe the thought is so retarded Cam - it's meant to be a relief for those with unbearable houseloans to cope better and to boost their believes that this will blow over without to much hazzle, not for others to loan more, i think with recession on the doorstep most Americans aren't to horny about lending money anyways ...

Do agree with your thoughts of dealing more with Asia to cut the dependency on the US market alone ...
There's a good side and bad to it. Yes, it will help out people repaying their debts, however it also means people will just borrow more money, and when debt is leading towards a recession, that's a bad thing.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6560

Varegg wrote:

It may allow the situation to persist whereby people who really shouldn't have been given mortgages in the first place are given a bit of breathing space for the meantime but as soon the interest rates go up again (inevitable) the market crashes and burns again. The consequences HAVE to be faced NOW. No more sweeping it under the carpet.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard