adam1503
+85|6388|Manchester, UK
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7198181.stm

Russia's military chief of staff has said Moscow is ready to use force, including pre-emptively and with nuclear weapons, to defend itself.

Gen Yuri Baluyevsky said Russia had no plans to attack anyone, but it was important that other countries clearly understood its leaders' resolve.
Why does Russia feel so threatened that it needs to remind us that it will use nuclear weapons to defend itself?  I thought the cold war ended in 1991...
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6405|North Carolina
Too much vodka, I suppose.  They'll sleep it off.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6529|Global Command
Old news.
Rusty saber that he's rattling.

Let them go on and feel important.

Who's threatening Russia anyway, the Chinese?   I don't see how they could be referring to us.
Deadmonkiefart
Floccinaucinihilipilificator
+177|6706
Russia, the largest country in the world, has China, the most populous country in the world, on their border.  Russia's population is shrinking and China's is growing...  Their aging military couldn't cope with China if there was a war.  To top it all off, President Bush is being an asshat trying to start another cold war with his ridiculous foreign policy towards Russia.
Snorkelfarsan
Soup Boy
+32|6606|Stockholm, Sweden
Russia is, still today, a country which can't really be trusted. The people in power are just real commies who would love to become dictators the first chance they get. It's a very unstable democracy...
adam1503
+85|6388|Manchester, UK

Deadmonkiefart wrote:

Russia, the largest country in the world, has China, the most populous country in the world, on their border.  Russia's population is shrinking and China's is growing...  Their aging military couldn't cope with China if there was a war.  To top it all off, President Bush is being an asshat trying to start another cold war with his ridiculous foreign policy towards Russia.
Thats exactly what scares me about this.  It seems like Russia is becoming more isolationist, this kind of stance says to the rest of the world that they see us as aggressors against them.  Its not so harmful when (relatively) small countries like Iran think this way, but when Russia starts talking like this, maybe we should take notice, to avoid falling blindly into another cold war.  It could happen...
Deadmonkiefart
Floccinaucinihilipilificator
+177|6706

adam1503 wrote:

Deadmonkiefart wrote:

Thats exactly what scares me about this.  It seems like Russia is becoming more isolationist, this kind of stance says to the rest of the world that they see us as aggressors against them.  Its not so harmful when (relatively) small countries like Iran think this way, but when Russia starts talking like this, maybe we should take notice, to avoid falling blindly into another cold war.  It could happen...
I'm just happy that Bush's term as president is almost over.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6632|949

adam1503 wrote:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7198181.stm

Russia's military chief of staff has said Moscow is ready to use force, including pre-emptively and with nuclear weapons, to defend itself.

Gen Yuri Baluyevsky said Russia had no plans to attack anyone, but it was important that other countries clearly understood its leaders' resolve.
Why does Russia feel so threatened that it needs to remind us that it will use nuclear weapons to defend itself?  I thought the cold war ended in 1991...
I don't think they feel threatened as far as going to war or defending their country so much as they feel threatened about losing international power.  No one really cares about Russia anymore in World Politics (relatively).  Everything in international politics is about U.S. Military might and Chinese economic might.  They just want back into the big game of world politics - they want people to care what they think.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6601|132 and Bush

You know, because a couple weeks ago they weren't ready .
Xbone Stormsurgezz
SharkyMcshark
I'll take two
+132|6785|Perth, Western Australia
Gee, it's almost like they're parodying someone else
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6761

SharkyMcshark wrote:

Who?
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6601|132 and Bush

SharkyMcshark wrote:

They must have a crush on us. Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
SharkyMcshark
I'll take two

usmarine2005 wrote:

SharkyMcshark wrote:

Who?
I was obviously referring to Tonga
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6761

SharkyMcshark wrote:

usmarine2005 wrote:

SharkyMcshark wrote:

Who?
I was obviously referring to Tonga
Show me where we said we would nuke somebody?  Outside of the Cold War era of course.
<BoTM>J_Aero
Qualified Expert
+62|6465|Melbourne - Home of Football

Snorkelfarsan wrote:

Russia is, still today, a country which can't really be trusted. The people in power are just real commies who would love to become dictators the first chance they get. It's a very unstable democracy...
Haha, someone has become very cynical from living within the range of a Cold War Russian invasion. The new leaders of Russia may be corrupt, but they're certainly not communists, in name or ideology.
SharkyMcshark
I'll take two
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6601|132 and Bush

SharkyMcshark wrote:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/04/10/hersh.access/index.html

First story that came up.
The first story that came up April 10, 2006?
Xbone Stormsurgezz
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6761

SharkyMcshark wrote:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/04/10/hersh.access/index.html

First story that came up.
And that is out of the blue like this one?
SharkyMcshark
I'll take two

Kmarion wrote:

Which has what to do with its relevance?

usmarine2005 wrote:

And that is out of the blue like this one?
You asked me to show you where nuclear force was considered by the administration/military.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6761

SharkyMcshark wrote:

You asked me to show you where nuclear force was considered by the administration/military.
Let me correct myself then.  We are obviously in a pissing match with Iran and NK.

Show me where we just came out for the fuck of it and said...we will nuke anyone who threatens us.
SharkyMcshark
I'll take two

usmarine2005 wrote:

SharkyMcshark wrote:

Let me correct myself then.  We are obviously in a pissing match with Iran and NK.

Show me where we just came out for the fuck of it and said...we will nuke anyone who threatens us.
Maybe Russia wants to be part of the pissing match?
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6632|949

Kmarion wrote:

SharkyMcshark wrote:

They must have a crush on us. Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery.
Unless you are privy to the U.S. legal system.  Then it's the greatest reason to sue.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6601|132 and Bush

SharkyMcshark wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Which has what to do with its relevance?
Relevance: Amazingly two years later every single thing the United States has done in dealing with Iran has been inclusive, with restraint, and non militarily.

There is an obvious difference between the two stories. One comes from a CNN reporter speaking on behalf of unnamed military sources. The other comes directly from Russia's military chief of staff to reporters.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Ajax_the_Great1
Dropped on request
+206|6646
Pre-emptive nukes? "they were going to attack us so we turned them to glass. And you can't prove they weren't going to attack because they are now glass."
Vub
The Power of Two
+188|6494|Sydney, Australia
I really don't see Russia and China fighting, I mean so much of China's military technology comes from Russia. If two countries can share military secrets, then they can't possibly be at odds with each other. Perhaps Russia is trying to regain it's position as a global superpower by reminding everyone of its nuclear weapons.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard