Penetrator
Certified Twat
+296|6516|Bournemouth, South England
An international passenger plane has crash landed short of the south runway at Heathrow Airport after losing its rear undercarriage.

All 136 passengers and 16 crew escaped from the British Airways flight BA038 from Beijing. Six people have been taken to hospital with minor injuries.

An airport worker told the BBC that the pilot said he had lost all power and had to glide the plane into land.

All BA short haul flights from Heathrow have been cancelled and others delayed.

The BBC's Angus Crawford said the worker, who was not identified, said the pilot told him all the electronics had also failed.

Not terror-related

The incident happened at 1242 GMT, as Prime Minister Gordon Brown was due to leave Heathrow for China and India. His flight was delayed because of the incident.

Downing Street said at about 1430 GMT that Gordon Brown had taken off.

MORE AT http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7194086.stm
Bell
Frosties > Cornflakes
+362|6557|UK

Brilliant piloting brining that thing down safely, and ofcourse credit to the cabin crew for getting everyone off quick.

Martyn
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6770

Damn, that happened on an Airbus a while back.  I have to search, but do not think it ever happened on a trip 7.
paranoid101
Ambitious but Rubbish
+540|6748
Glad everybody is safe
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6231|Escea

whoa, when i was heading back to college this afternoon I heard over the radio about there being some trouble with an incoming plane, guess this was it.
Lieutenant_Jensen
Your cops are corrupt.
+200|6399|fåking denmark
Watching it on BBC World at this very moment..
RoosterCantrell
Goodbye :)
+399|6488|Somewhere else

Pilot deserves a fucking medal. Seriously.
TC.Troy
Let the rough side drag
+111|6581

usmarine2005 wrote:

Damn, that happened on an Airbus a while back.  I have to search, but do not think it ever happened on a trip 7.
Thats typical airbus.  I love to fly, and will fly in damn near anything with wings.  But I absolutely refuse to board an Airbus manufactured aircraft

Gotta give it to the pilot and crew though, these people get the blame quickly when the situation goes tits up, but I dont think they recieve the kudo's they deserve when they pull something like this off.

I fear Boeing are to begin having much the same difficulties as they are going to the "glass cockpit" so loved by Airbus.  The 777 has a stellar record tho, lets hope this is an isolated failure, or simply a maintenance issue.

Last edited by TC.Troy (2008-01-17 09:21:36)

mikkel
+383|6609
Must've been frightening to feel the engines set out and the plane dropping on close approach. Turbulence drop is enough to make me uneasy at times. This would've been terrifying. Good job landing it without any casualties, though.

TC.Troy wrote:

usmarine2005 wrote:

Thats typical airbus.  I love to fly, and will fly in damn near anything with wings.  But I absolutely refuse to board an Airbus manufactured aircraft

Gotta give it to the pilot and crew though, these people get the blame quickly when the situation goes tits up, but I dont think they recieve the kudo's they deserve when they pull something like this off.

I fear Boeing are to begin having much the same difficulties as they are going to the "glass cockpit" so loved by Airbus.  The 777 has a stellar record tho, lets hope this is an isolated failure, or simply a maintenance issue.
What's your motivation for this? The A340, one of the main Airbus competitors to the 777, has a better safety record.
robcr9
+111|5989
i saw it on news
NantanCochise
+55|5987|Portugal/United States

mikkel wrote:

Must've been frightening to feel the engines set out and the plane dropping on close approach. Turbulence drop is enough to make me uneasy at times. This would've been terrifying. Good job landing it without any casualties, though.

TC.Troy wrote:

usmarine2005 wrote:

What's your motivation for this? The A340, one of the main Airbus competitors to the 777, has a better safety record.
No, I dont think so, First of all its hard to compare when both aircraft have never crashed, and considering the fact that the 777 has about triple the air time of a A340 its a bit dificult to say that it is safer.
NantanCochise
Sorry, apon further investigation, it appears that the 777 has a safer record than the A340.

Airbus A.340 Statistics

Hull-loss Accidents: 1 with a total of 0 fatalities
Other occurrences (hull-loss): 2 with a total of 0 fatalities
Unfiled occurrences (hull-loss): 0 with a total of 0 fatalities
Criminal occurences (hull-loss, excl. hijackings): 1 with a total of 0 fatalities
Hijackings: 1 with a total of 0 fatalities
Survival rate for all fatal accidents: on average -1.0% of all occupants survived fatal accidents

Hull-loss Accidents: 0 with a total of 0 fatalities
Other occurrences (hull-loss): 0 with a total of 0 fatalities
Criminal occurences (hull-loss, excl. hijackings): 0 with a total of 0 fatalities
Hijackings: 2 with a total of 0 fatalities
Survival rate for all fatal accidents: on average -1.0% of all occupants survived fatal accidents

...fortunately no one died.

reference - http://aviation-safety.net/database/typ … p?type=jet
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6508|so randum

NantanCochise wrote:

Sorry, apon further investigation, it appears that the 777 has a safer record than the A340.

Airbus A.340 Statistics

Criminal occurences (hull-loss, excl. hijackings): 1 with a total of 0 fatalities

Criminal occurences (hull-loss, excl. hijackings): 0 with a total of 0 fatalities

How exactly does one survive a fatal accident?

Last edited by FatherTed (2008-01-17 12:37:36)

Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
suomalainen_äijä
+64|6173

robcr9 wrote:

i saw it on news
mikkel
+383|6609

NantanCochise wrote:

Airbus A.340 Statistics

That's a rather unreliable site. It serves as a content aggregator, somewhat like Wikipedia, and they show conflicting information, certain entries on Wikipedia missing on aviation-safety.net, and vice versa. I guess we both need a better source to substantiate our claims, but I can't really find one.
NantanCochise
You dont FatherTed!!!
NantanCochise

mikkel wrote:

NantanCochise wrote:

Airbus A.340 Statistics

That's a rather unreliable site. It serves as a content aggregator, somewhat like Wikipedia, and they show conflicting information, certain entries on Wikipedia missing on aviation-safety.net, and vice versa. I guess we both need a better source to substantiate our claims, but I can't really find one.
Are you kidding me, this aint propaganda! Besides there are many more sites, here go check them yourself, im working,

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/query.asp
http://www.planecrashinfo.com/
www.airsafe.com/
www.faa.gov/data_statistics/accident_incident/

enjoy...

Last edited by NantanCochise (2008-01-17 12:54:34)

CameronPoe
+2,925|6563
Didn't take long for this to turn into Europe v America...
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6724
Bush has something to do with this... lol
Love is the answer
mikkel
+383|6609

NantanCochise wrote:

mikkel wrote:

NantanCochise wrote:

Airbus A.340 Statistics

Are you kidding me, this aint propaganda! Besides there are many more sites, here go check them yourself, im working,

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/query.asp
http://www.planecrashinfo.com/
www.airsafe.com/
www.faa.gov/data_statistics/accident_incident/

enjoy...
Hm, I don't have the time to go through all of them either, but the NTSB site (which the FAA site links to for incident reports), seems to list 7 reports for the A340, and 37 reports for the B777. I don't know if their data is global, though, but it has primarily international locations.

CameronPoe wrote:

Didn't take long for this to turn into Europe v America...
Europe v America? What kind of disposition is that to have? Airbus could be American, or Boeing European for all I care.

Last edited by mikkel (2008-01-17 13:10:04)

justice
OctoPoster
+978|6749|OctoLand
I think the aircraft almost definately ran out of fuel, resulting in a power loss in the final seconds before touch down. I say this because the majority of the undercrriage was ripped off and the aircraft dragged along the ground, yet no fire or even a sign of fuel leaking.

How it lost the fuel remains to be seen (if indeed it did run out).

Well done to the pilot, the failiure occured on final approach and how he reacted quick enough to

a) Raise the aircrafts nose and get it over the A30 and then

b) get it down safely, is outstanding.

If he hadn't this could have been fatal.

Glad no one was hurt.

Last edited by justice (2008-01-17 13:10:59)

I know fucking karate
CameronPoe
+2,925|6563
I don't know why you guys are arguing about something so trivial. I travel a lot - Airbus and Boeing - it's all the fucking same. The likelihood of meeting your maker in either is far smaller than being run over on your way to work.
mikkel
+383|6609

CameronPoe wrote:

I don't know why you guys are arguing about something so trivial. I travel a lot - Airbus and Boeing - it's all the fucking same. The likelihood of meeting your maker in either is far smaller than being run over on your way to work.
What is it with you being so eager to see confrontation? We aren't arguing, we're discussing. There's no need to bring your negative tone into it.
justice
OctoPoster
+978|6749|OctoLand

usmarine2005 wrote:

Yeah first time on a trip, happened on an a330 air transat a few years back....the pilot glided it over half the atlantic and landed it, amazingly (though the fuel loss was his fault in the first place) .
I know fucking karate
mikkel
+383|6609

justice wrote:

usmarine2005 wrote:

Yeah first time on a trip, happened on an a330 air transat a few years back....the pilot glided it over half the atlantic and landed it, amazingly (though the fuel loss was his fault in the first place) .
Yeah, I remember that. That glide was absolutely amazing.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard