The_Sniper_NM
Official EVGA Fanboy
+94|6123|SC | USA |
IDE is the old tech, SATA is new. Not meaning to be mean here, but will you need help every step of the way? If so, just use this. http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/other/144

Hurry up and get it done! I want to see if the CPU/Socket is still fucked.
Commie Killer
+192|6396

The_Sniper_NM wrote:

IDE is the old tech, SATA is new. Not meaning to be mean here, but will you need help every step of the way? If so, just use this. http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/other/144

Hurry up and get it done! I want to see if the CPU/Socket is still fucked.
Alright thanks, I am pretty much done though, these are the last 2 things. But yeah, I am kinda hoping the CPU and Mobo aint fucked.
Commie Killer
+192|6396
So would Radio Shack have SATA cables? Or where would I go?
CommieChipmunk
+488|6579|Portland, OR, USA

Commie Killer wrote:

Alright thanks, I only got one SATA cable, shouldnt be too hard to grab one from Radio Shack or something, right? Also, does it matter what socket I plug it into, as there are 4 groups of 2 connections each.
your mobo should come with a lot? your hard drive and cd drive should come with one too, but yeah it doesn't matter which socket you plug them into.
ph4s3
engineer
+34|6838|Texas
What'd you buy, an OEM board or something?  Any retail board comes with a shit load of cables you need to hook it up.  I've got 3 spare SATA cables from my DFI board I bought 2 years ago.  Make that 2 spare; I'm buying a new HD this weekend and decommissioning my file server aka space heater.
The_Sniper_NM
Official EVGA Fanboy
+94|6123|SC | USA |

Commie Killer wrote:

Alright thanks, I only got one SATA cable, shouldnt be too hard to grab one from Radio Shack or something, right? Also, does it matter what socket I plug it into, as there are 4 groups of 2 connections each.
Try to plug them into the first set, being (0) and (1). Should make things easier when booting up for the first time.
Commie Killer
+192|6396
Alright, found another 4 in my drawer, I plugged them into the first set. We'll see how it works tomorrow.
ph4s3
engineer
+34|6838|Texas
PS - Thermal paste is non-conductive so you didn't screw your board/cpu as long as you can get enough of it cleaned off that you can make good connections at each pin between the board and cpu... I would assume that it'll fail to post if one isn't good, but it may post and just fail intermittently or something depending on chip design... haven't ever heard anyone do that before, but in theory it's fixable and even if you powered it up nothing is fried... Make sure you know your board post failure codes (should be some series of beeps or onboard LEDs to signify why it fails to post).
SonderKommando
Eat, Lift, Grow, Repeat....
+564|6669|The darkside of Denver
Commie did you read any sort of tutorial or even watch a youtube video on pc building before you attempted this??? Do you have a drug problem?
steelie34
pub hero!
+603|6390|the land of bourbon
wow 7 pages of support from the bf2s community. haha
https://bf3s.com/sigs/36e1d9e36ae924048a933db90fb05bb247fe315e.png
The_Sniper_NM
Official EVGA Fanboy
+94|6123|SC | USA |

steelie34 wrote:

wow 7 pages of support from the bf2s community. haha
I have no problem that he messed up. Everyone makes mistakes, anyone here isn't perfect. Some mistakes are more costly, but you learn more from them. I'm sure everyone who posted in the last seven pages of crap has made a mistake some where while building a computer at some time, whether it big or small. Think before you post. If you can't contribute, DONT POST.
Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6448|King Of The Islands

The_Sniper_NM wrote:

Think before you post. If you can't contribute, DONT POST.

The_Sniper_NM wrote:

Not meaning to be mean here, but will you need help every step of the way?
A shining beacon unto us all.
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
Marlboroman82
Personal philosophy: Clothing optional.
+1,022|6632|Camp XRay

AHAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAAH

ok i think i got it out of my system

seriously though that sucks, remember the first time i messed with my cpu i bent a bunch of the pins. that cost me about 300 dollars.
https://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l250/marlboroman82/Untitled-8.png
Roger Lesboules
Ah ben tabarnak!
+316|6586|Abitibi-Temiscamingue. Québec!

Marlboroman82 wrote:

seriously though that sucks, remember the first time i messed with my cpu i bent a bunch of the pins. that cost me about 300 dollars.
Eh, you bent cpu pins too eh?...Did the same, costed me 0$ hapilly, but damn it sucked.
ph4s3
engineer
+34|6838|Texas

Roger Lesboules wrote:

Marlboroman82 wrote:

Eh, you bent cpu pins too eh?...Did the same, costed me 0$ hapilly, but damn it sucked.
D'oh... Wait till you try putting together one after 5 years of not messing with your last one when everything has changed... went from a PIII-866 to a AMD-64 X2 2.2... Even better when you put it together, it doesn't work, then you find that no shop in your small town can help trouble shoot it.  I wound up sending my stuff to a DFI support forum admin for him to diagnose it as RAM that was out of spec but worked fine in less demanding boards... One RMA later and I've been happy for about 2 years now.
**LiLp-DeFiNeD
Banned
+54|6164|Vancouver, BC, Canada
Wow....Just wow...

Just you plug in/turn on the computer after you put the Processor in?
If you did, you'll prolly need a new Processor and mobo,
If not, then you need to get some paper, towels, paper towels, etc, and gently clean off the paste best you can.No sure how to get it out of he Mobo though, maybe try scraping it out with a pin?
GenLobo
+6|6826|California

Commie Killer wrote:

Ok, I was installing my CPU into my mobo, and it said put heat sink paste on it. I fucked up, i put it on the side with the pointy things. What do I do. Did I just fuck my Q6600?
Use some alcohol to clean it. Is it artic silver? or just the crap that it comes with?
alcohol will do the trick though and then you can RMA it but it should be fine. The thermal grease will not hurt the board or cpu.

Just don't damage any pins when cleaning.l
ArmaLite5.56
+4|6005
When I was using a VapoChill (Phasechange Cooling for you noobs out there) I had to cover the underside of the CPU in thermal paste but just had to make sure it was non conductive paste i was using.... so you should be fine as long as its not arctic silver. Basically It states that in the manual of the unit because the CPU is at like -40 to -60 Celsius so the thermal paste stops the CPU from getting condensation on it. Ok I know Commie Killer prob wasent using a VapoChill but..... Once I took my CPU out of the chill and it was still covered in paste but it worked all the same. Mind you it was a P4 with proper pins, not a LGA775.

ArmaLite
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6158|'straya

Commie Killer wrote:

ProteinRage wrote:

/facedesk

If you get this computer working, and manage to take decent/believable pics of it, I will karma you everyday for a week.
Just try not to laugh too much, and Ill be happy.

Im starting to get the feeling that this topic is gonna become as epic as cdogm.
I just use a usb Bluetooth connection (of course im assuming ur phone has blue tooth)

lol im sure it does.

there only about $30 and its really fast transfers as well...

just go to an electronics shop and ask for one
CrazeD
+368|6682|Maine

ph4s3 wrote:

PS - Thermal paste is non-conductive so you didn't screw your board/cpu as long as you can get enough of it cleaned off that you can make good connections at each pin between the board and cpu... I would assume that it'll fail to post if one isn't good, but it may post and just fail intermittently or something depending on chip design... haven't ever heard anyone do that before, but in theory it's fixable and even if you powered it up nothing is fried... Make sure you know your board post failure codes (should be some series of beeps or onboard LEDs to signify why it fails to post).
Dude, thermal paste is basically silver/synthetic silver goop. Silver, the last time I checked, is conductive. It has additives to minimize electrical conductivity, but it can conduct electricity if you use enough of it.

I've heard of people doing a poor job applying thermal paste to video cards and small unprotected chips like that, and they made a mess and stuff didn't work. But, once they cleaned it up it works again.

Of course it depends what you use, too...
']['error
Banned
+630|6653|The Netherlands
ROFL I got a good laugh out of this one
Thank god you've put it properly together now

Roger Lesboules wrote:

¦TØP¦straz_mataz wrote:

this is even more epic than white fusion's fuckup
I demand a link to his fuckup, we can never have enough lulz!
Can't find it anymore
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6630|London, England
Threads like these should be put on Digg and 4chan and spread into internet fandom. Commie Killer, you just might become infamous because of this shit.

Someone do it.

Also, what's this about White-Fusion? Time to find this thread!

http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=59348

Last edited by Mek-Izzle (2008-01-16 10:33:52)

Commie Killer
+192|6396

Mek-Izzle wrote:

Threads like these should be put on Digg and 4chan and spread into internet fandom. Commie Killer, you just might become infamous because of this shit.

Someone do it.

Also, what's this about White-Fusion? Time to find this thread!

http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=59348
I was kinda expecting that. Im amazed this hasnt become more popular yet. Well anyways, Vista is here, time to figure out if this fucker works.
02fxnmaurer
+75|6491|Birmingham UK
gd luck man ...

please make sure bios is set properly haha vista installation aint tht hard rofl

ProteinRage
Hero of the Internet
+15|6479|Everywhere and nowhere
Good luck Commie. A weeks worth of karma awaits you. Again, need good pics of working PC... Preferably open!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard