suomalainen_äijä
+64|6172
is it okay to keep your cell phone turned on during a flight even if it's in offline mode?

what do you think?
TGMaverick
+16|6237
Yes - as long as the phone isn't capable of sending/receiving data and/or phonecalls, it's fine.

Typically this mode is called "airplane" mode, and allows the user to use the other functions of the phone (games, music, camera, etc.)
Lai
+186|6158

TGMaverick wrote:

Yes - as long as the phone isn't capable of sending/receiving data and/or phonecalls, it's fine.

Typically this mode is called "airplane" mode, and allows the user to use the other functions of the phone (games, music, camera, etc.)
I think not actually, since some flight agencies also ask to turn of any other electronics like mp3-players.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6768

Some airline just installed a "mod" that allows you to use cell phones in-flight.  If you ask me that will become annoying, but it will be on most planes in the future.  I want to say it was jetBlue, but I may be wrong.
Gawwad
My way or Haddaway!
+212|6691|Espoo, Finland

Lai wrote:

TGMaverick wrote:

I think not actually, since some flight agencies also ask to turn of any other electronics like mp3-players.
That's correct. During take off and landing you're not alloved to have any electronic devices turned on. It's the most critical part of any flight and they are not taking changes.

You should be able to turn it back on once in flight, ask a flight attendant first to make sure.
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6460|The Twilight Zone
My phone has a flight mode.
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6768

usmarine2005 wrote:

Some airline just installed a "mod" that allows you to use cell phones in-flight.  If you ask me that will become annoying, but it will be on most planes in the future.  I want to say it was jetBlue, but I may be wrong.
My bad, it was Emirates

http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/12/21/wire … index.html

Last edited by usmarine2005 (2008-01-14 13:45:57)

Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6763|Scotland

Oh dear... you do know all this about mobile phones being used on a plane is bullshit. Right?
Using a mobile phone on a plane will make no difference to their radio communications and will not endanger the plane.
I've used it quite a few times. I am still here.
HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5968|Washington DC
What confuses me is this:

When you land at an airport, at least in the US, they say that you CAN use your two-way pagers but you CAN'T use things like MP3 players. Now I may be naive, but there are a shitload of planes flying around and landing on the tarmac... wouldn't pagers and phones be FAR more dangerous to safe arrival at the gate than an MP3 player?
Gawwad
My way or Haddaway!
+212|6691|Espoo, Finland

Zimmer wrote:

Oh dear... you do know all this about mobile phones being used on a plane is bullshit. Right?
Using a mobile phone on a plane will make no difference to their radio communications and will not endanger the plane.
You're an idot.
Do you honestly think they made something like that up? What exactly do the companies gain?
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6768

Here is the plain truth.  They do not want you to use cell phones during takeoff and landing because those are the most critical phases of flight.  It has nothing to do with interference.  It has to do with being able to hear crew member instructions in case of an emergency.
mikkel
+383|6608

Zimmer wrote:

Certain frequencies can and will interfere with aircraft instrumentation. Perhaps not in current cellular frequency spectra, but new standards are developed and implemented all the time. Regardless of what you believe, it's completely irresponsible for you to make a personal decision on whether or not to respect the laws and regulations of air travel, when the consequences of your actions affect potentially hundreds of other people.

Last edited by mikkel (2008-01-14 13:57:03)

Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6763|Scotland

Gawwad wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

You're an idot.
Do you honestly think they made something like that up? What exactly do the companies gain?
No, I am not. How immature to hit back like that.

Why? As a "safety" precaution. There was a documentary about it and a pilot and the airlines stated that it does NOT affect the communications.

Read it
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_phones_on_aircraft

Idiot.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6768

usmarine2005 wrote:

Here is the plain truth.  They do not want you to use cell phones during takeoff and landing because those are the most critical phases of flight.  It has nothing to do with interference.  It has to do with being able to hear crew member instructions in case of an emergency.
cough

I have had my cellphone and laptop on in the cockpit during all phases of flight.  Trust me, no issues at all.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6763|Scotland

usmarine2005 wrote:

Thank you. There was a calculated, back in 2000, 0.08% chance of an interference from an electronic device. Those chances were anecodtal because it was the belief of the pilot, not hard evidence. There is no way a mobile phone signal will interfere with plane communications. It's bullshit.

So Gawwad, once you realise that you are not always right and that calling names is damn immature, then you can hit back at me and tell me I am wrong. But with evidence. Stop being a fucking smart ass.
ig
This topic seems to have no actual posts
+1,199|6529
if im not mistaken, the reason they say no cell phones is because some time ago, the majority of cell phones were analog. now that they are all digital, it cant interfere with the radio signals or whatever. at least i know that analog phones were banned from hospitals for that reason.
along with what marine says about listening to the flight attendants and stuff.
jord
+2,382|6685|The North, beyond the wall.

Gawwad wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

You're an idot.
Give it a rest, I've done it plenty of times. I've got a picture going through the cloud line and when the plane did a sharp turn and I could see nearly straight down.

It's the same with petrol stations. That Science abuse program got like 200 phones and rang them all outside a petrol  station and nothing happened.

Last edited by jord (2008-01-14 14:03:40)

Gawwad
My way or Haddaway!
+212|6691|Espoo, Finland

Zimmer wrote:

Gawwad wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

You're an idot.
No, I am not. How immature to hit back like that.

Why? As a "safety" precaution. There was a documentary about it and a pilot and the airlines stated that it does NOT affect the communications.

Read it
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_phones_on_aircraft

Idiot.
Do you honestly need to use your phone in flight when it's forbidden due to possible dangers? Is it really that important?
I just don't get people like you...

usmarine2005 wrote:

Yes, that's one of the main reasons reasons. Just as you have to have your seat in a normal position and your table risen.

Phones can interfere with an aircrafts electronics, though it's hardly usual. The risk is still acknowledgen by most airlines and until it's 100% sure it doesn't fuck something up, keep your phone shutt.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6763|Scotland

I merely stated I had done it. Your lack of evidence for me being an idiot and for proving that it really is dangerous made you hit back with a stupid insult.

Get your facts right and start arguing or discussing without needing kiddy insults shoved in at every possible moment. Then maybe someone will listen to you and not fire back.

usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6768

Gawwad wrote:

Phones can interfere with an aircrafts electronics, though it's hardly usual. The risk is still acknowledgen by most airlines and until it's 100% sure it doesn't fuck something up, keep your phone shutt.
On our aircraft, we have two EFB's (Electronic Flight Bags) in the flight deck.  They are connected via wifi (sp?) or satellite at all times.  They are basically mini touch screen computers.  Same freq range as cell phones.
Gawwad
My way or Haddaway!
+212|6691|Espoo, Finland

Zimmer wrote:

I merely stated I had done it. Your lack of evidence for me being an idiot and for proving that it really is dangerous made you hit back with a stupid insult.

Get your facts right and start arguing or discussing without needing kiddy insults shoved in at every possible moment. Then maybe someone will listen to you and not fire back.

Tough boy.
I bet your cool enough to drive with out using a seatbelt.
jord
So has a plane ever gone done because of a mobile phone...?

Because using a phone on an air plane is hardly playing Russian roulette with yourself.
Gawwad
My way or Haddaway!
+212|6691|Espoo, Finland

jord wrote:

Because using a phone on an air plane is hardly playing Russian roulette with yourself.
Not to my knowledge.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6763|Scotland

Gawwad wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

Tough boy.
I bet your cool enough to drive with out using a seatbelt.
Now, that would just be stupid, wouldn't it?

@ Jord - No.

NASA in 2000 reported 52 incidents thought to be caused by electronical devices. But they never affected more than a bit of interference and nobody knows what did it.
jord

Gawwad wrote:

jord wrote:

Not to my knowledge.
Right, so why are you getting so worked up again?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard