kylef
Gone
+1,352|6489|N. Ireland
Many of you (at least UKers!) will know of the sheer hell on earth that is in the form of a man: Jamie Oliver.

So much for free choice! My school has adapted (and has now for over a year) to the "Jamie policy" in that:

crisps = no
fizzy drinks = no
general unhealthy food = no

After my school took away what they must of made a lot of profit on as almost everyone who went to the dining hall to buy something bought something nice (ie unhealthy), they replaced with "so-called" healthy food and drink that isn't healthy at all. Fruit juice that has such a high sugar and carbohydrate content it makes Coke look really healthy.

Now, after tonight's ordeal, he's using "scare tactics" to alert the UK about what sort of chickens they buy. You pay £1 for the chicken and the chicken gets 25% more space and 49% less chance of mortality. No thanks. First of all, out of sole personal belief, I don't believe chickens have a "mind" as such. (another tale, another time) - imagine if you gave that £1 to charity instead. Over a year, it is estimated now that Britain will spend an extra £800 million on these chickens. Imagine what that £800 million will do for third world countries! And frankly, this guy is to blame.

Anyone else in the same mindset? I really hate this guy! I'm not fat, I eat in moderation, but when I'm not even given the choice now it makes me feel betrayed. I thought free choice was something I was allowed. Guess not!

(Note: this is not a rant about my school. I can justify perfectly why they did it. I'm more annoyed with Mr. Oliver)
Nappy
Apprentice
+151|6225|NSW, Australia

how old are you?

im not disagreeing but its not too bad is it? just go to a supermarket before school and buy food or something, or nick off and go find a place to buy food. they did the same thing to my school about 4 years ago.
ELITE-UK
Scratching my back
+170|6470|SHEFFIELD, ENGLAND

kylef wrote:

Many of you (at least UKers!) will know of the sheer hell on earth that is in the form of a man: Jamie Oliver.

So much for free choice! My school has adapted (and has now for over a year) to the "Jamie policy" in that:

crisps = no
fizzy drinks = no
general unhealthy food = no

After my school took away what they must of made a lot of profit on as almost everyone who went to the dining hall to buy something bought something nice (ie unhealthy), they replaced with "so-called" healthy food and drink that isn't healthy at all. Fruit juice that has such a high sugar and carbohydrate content it makes Coke look really healthy.

Now, after tonight's ordeal, he's using "scare tactics" to alert the UK about what sort of chickens they buy. You pay £1 for the chicken and the chicken gets 25% more space and 49% less chance of mortality. No thanks. First of all, out of sole personal belief, I don't believe chickens have a "mind" as such. (another tale, another time) - imagine if you gave that £1 to charity instead. Over a year, it is estimated now that Britain will spend an extra £800 million on these chickens. Imagine what that £800 million will do for third world countries! And frankly, this guy is to blame.

Anyone else in the same mindset? I really hate this guy! I'm not fat, I eat in moderation, but when I'm not even given the choice now it makes me feel betrayed. I thought free choice was something I was allowed. Guess not!

(Note: this is not a rant about my school. I can justify perfectly why they did it. I'm more annoyed with Mr. Oliver)
I disagree with you, i believe people should know what they are eating and where it coming from.
Freerange FTW!!!
Balok77
+28|6144
Free range chickens taste nicer anyway so i dunno what your talking about.

Just because you have an extra pound doenst mean it will go towards charity but i understand your angle.

To be honest i'm eating the animal and i like to think it had a half decent life before it meets its death, but hey lets cram 17 chickens into 1 square metre of space and not let them outside...ever.

As for the canteen food i totally agree with you mate, i used to be able to get a burger a packet of crisps and a mars bar,,,, now we get some sort of ridiculously over priced panni with about 2 bits of meat in it.
Gfinners
+17|6299|Cornwall, England
Fair enough, people should be allowed to know whats in their food, but banning chips/crisps from schools i'snt right, well secondary/VI forms anyway.   
Older people wants us young people to have a little responsibility, so let us decide what food we want to eat. Yea, its bad for you? So, if people enjoy chips and food like that, let them eat it.

Our vending machines are now full of "Carrot Crisps", and "Grape Juice" and bollocks like that. And everyday when i walk past it it remains full up. They moan why we got no money.
oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6515|Πάϊ
You didn't have freedom of choice before. It was more like eat shite or go hungry. Now you do. Wanna eat crap? There's plenty of it outside your school.
ƒ³
Unzombified_Zombie
I'm a furry, get over it :3
+9|6159|Grantham, England
Our school just had a massive rebellion when the healthy foods were adopted. A black market was opened, practically a branch of ASDA. We had a lot of protests too.

All that remains of that regime now is a lone vending machine filled with muffins and apples, which doesn't work.

As far as I'm concerned, I have nothing against healthy eating (in fact I'm a vegetarian with an obsession with oranges, carrots and cucumbers and eccentric combinations of anything green. Probably the healthiest student in the school), but I hate how some twat like Jamie Oliver comes in and tells us what to eat, cos if I wanna eat shit and chips for lunch one day, it's my opinion.

In fact, I believe that's the problem. Even the healthiest of kids don't want to be bossed around by some berk. I think that Jamie's campaign against 'junk food' actually made everyone more inclined to eat it, just to defy him.
liquidat0r
wtf.
+2,223|6623|UK
I love the reformed school dinners. I've always been a fruit person.
Surgeons
U shud proabbly f off u fat prik
+3,097|6485|Gogledd Cymru

You can't call school dinners food anyway, so quit your complaining, or take sandwiches or something.
Alone+EasyTarget
+38|6353|From: From: From:
anyone see the programme on tonight where he was showing how they produce different ranges of eggs and chicken etc? friggin killing chics infront of people on tv. i know its what they do etc but just disturbing to see on tv lol
SamTheMan:D
Banned
+856|5970|England

Jord discussed this a while back, I remember making a picture for him.

Although these days, thanks to the awesome location of my college, theres a bargain booze, 3 take aways and a McDonalds all with in a 15 minute walk
iamtheoneneo
+16|6665
don't no what ur on about to be honest , I felt his chicken program tonight was brilliantly made and good to see tv trying to do something about the frankly pathetic excuse of crulty we dump on these animals just so we save a few bucks. Its appaling and I know your young but I hope one day your understand what its all about. As for your school food situation , I'm glad look up the stars for the uk a obesity rate-whilst you may keep in shape there's 100'000 people out there that don't quite understand that eating shit = weight issues. Leave jamie to do his thing he may seem like a cock but he's doing more then me or you to try and improve peoples lifes.
Drakef
Cheeseburger Logicist
+117|6358|Vancouver
I seem to recall that a few years ago, the provincial government of British Columbia enacted a series of programs aimed at phasing out junk food in elementary and secondary schools. Luckily, I was already past that stage, and had my share of junk during my time at school.

Many predicted that students will simply not purchase the new, healthier food, and instead go to neighbouring stores and restaurants for food. I've heard that this is becoming more popular to avoid the healthy food. It has lost the school district a good deal of money earned through food sales, in vending machines and cafeterias.
stkhoplite
Banned
+564|6475|Sheffield-England
He should kill himself
RavyGravy
Son.
+617|6401|NSW, Australia

did he strangle a baby chicken on his show?
kiteboarderni
+62|6676

Alone+EasyTarget wrote:

anyone see the programme on tonight where he was showing how they produce different ranges of eggs and chicken etc? friggin killing chics infront of people on tv. i know its what they do etc but just disturbing to see on tv lol
i believe thats what the whole topic is about? lol im gonna watch it now on 4OD!

But kyle! FRUICE FTW!!! and BUFFALO FLAVOURED CRISPS FTW!!!!!

if belfast gets the same food as banbridge?!

Also have you ever been to the parlour bar in belfast? im heading there tomorrow.

Last edited by kiteboarderni (2008-01-11 18:10:05)

Snorkelfarsan
Soup Boy
+32|6602|Stockholm, Sweden
I think what Jamie oliver has done i the schools in Brittain is great! But kids don't get that, they just wanna eat their disgusting fried chicken or whatever the shit is that makes them fat... You should thank him!
Skorpy-chan
+127|6341|Twyford, UK
So glad I left school before this healthfood craze started.

Kids eat fatty food because, at least when I was in school, you needed the calories. Two hours of PE a week, walking a long way between lessons (often with little or no protection against the elements because you couldn't put a coat anywhere indoors), carrying heavy loads of books, and most of the year having to stand around in the cold waiting to be let into the classroom because you weren't allowed to wait indoors.
Except in summer, when you were wearing the same uniform as in winter and had to support the same weight with a lot of sweating involved.
Commie Killer
+192|6383
Yeah we have the same shit at our school. Apparently, living in the richest school district in the state, and being able to get a grant for 1500$ a piece smart-boards means we now have to eat shitty food. Before, as an example, we used to be able to get spaghetti. Noodles, free salad, and a choice between meat or meatless sauce. The meat sauce was amazing, to say the least, my mouth waters thinking of it. Well anyways, it has been decided that we now have to "eat healthy". Out sauce has turned to ketchup, and out meat sauce is a single meatball in the entire huge tray, which looks, and tastes, like a fucking bulls ball. Oh, I almost forgot 2 other things, we now have to pay for the salad, and my school has went from making a profit of 28,000$ per year on the food(which is nothing, because they school gets a few million per year, often with a bonus of another few, just for kissing ass), to now losing 4,000 for even serving us food.

Now, you can get a water bottle and a bagel, which is the size of a Razr cell phone(and tastes like one too), for 2$. TWO FUCKING DOLLARS! WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS? I can go to the fucking super market 2 blocks away, buy 10 bagels for that price, and still have enough to buy a six pack of Coke.

Apparently, having smart boards to keep up the schools image is more important then having the kids get better grades or even stay fucking alive. Our average grades have dropped 13% since last year, the number of kids falling asleep in school has also risen some number I dont remember. Best part is, about a month ago, they decided to serve lunch lady dick wrapped in cardboard and call it a stromboli (used to be the most popular thing on the lunch menu). It was decided that the next time this happens, we are gonna order some pizza, Apparently, the school district did not like the idea of kids bringing in 50 something pizzas from Domino's(it hurt the buisness of the schools usual supplier of food- Ball Sack and Ass Crack Inc.), so they expelled 8 or 9 kids.

Alright, rant over.

EDIT: Where are we supposed to get the energy to do any of this shit anyways. From the air? Or the smart boards, that must be it, the smart boards have calories in them....

Last edited by Commie Killer (2008-01-11 22:22:35)

Commie Killer
+192|6383

Snorkelfarsan wrote:

I think what Jamie oliver has done i the schools in Brittain is great! But kids don't get that, they just wanna eat their disgusting fried chicken or whatever the shit is that makes them fat... You should thank him!
Some stupid fucks being lazy as shit is what causes them to be fat. I think, for the past 100 years or so, we have been eating generally the same shit, not until we started doing everything for everyone did people get fat. Anyways, some people here, actually get off their asses and need the fucking food.
<BoTM>J_Aero
Qualified Expert
+62|6461|Melbourne - Home of Football
I agree that people should be educated to make wise choices about their food, eat a balanced diet, and get exercise, so that you should eat healthy most of the time, but have salt filled biscuits and sweet things occasionally. I also believe that chickens shouldn't be kept in tiny cages and injected with hormones so they grow extra large. Freerange is better, but I'm not going to stop eating chicken if I can't get freerange products.
~FuzZz~
.yag era uoy fi siht deaR
+422|6318|Orrstrayleea
Go out for lunch, simple...or order pizza
masculata
+24|6672|45° 30',North by 73° 35',West
Fast Food Nation; read it and see if you still want to eat that over processed, chemically enhanced "food".

The food Jamie introduced into the schools is REAL food, and go figure it's healthy for you too.

Last edited by masculata (2008-01-12 04:28:20)

Nappy
Apprentice
+151|6225|NSW, Australia

it should be based on how many fat kids per class of 30 (or something)
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6762|UK
Commie ur account sounds stupid as your school was already servering what sounds like reasonable food. In British schools they literally just served the shitest processed food ever. People that have been used to shit food all there lives moaned about the change, I fucking cheered.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard