kylef
Gone
+1,352|6492|N. Ireland
As I was reading the Financial Times in Starbucks this morning, I couldn't help but scurry over the array of Presidential writings in the paper. Financial Times claims that "this president (newcomer) will have the toughest job" - no matter who it is, they have one hell of a situation to rectify. With over 365 days left of Bush's presidential career, a lot can still change:

- Iraq situation could still go either way;
- Saudi territory and oil under crisis;
- Potential economy blow.

.. is just a few things that this person will have to deal with. How do you think this President will hold up? This will definitely be one of the toughest Presidencies (admittedly...I'm sure they are all pretty crazy). It'll sure be interesting to see the first thing this new President does, but there's still a year of Bush's term to go and the Iraq situation is still pretty sketchy (despite record low numbers of US deaths in December...although there was another suicide bomber killing 28 people in Baghdad)
Sone
i piss excellence
+22|6522|Houston (Spring), TX
The next president can only start to clean up some of the mess that has been created.  I think the next several presidents will be cleaning up a huge mess.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6104|eXtreme to the maX
The next President needs to take a look at:-
Iraq, Palestine, Pakistan, increasing influence of Russia and China - to start with.
And whoever it is will be handed a great fat recession to work through.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Sone
i piss excellence
+22|6522|Houston (Spring), TX
I'm suprised people actually want to run for President.  We need to resurrect FDR.
Jepeto87
+38|6683|Dublin
Why does no one ever talk about domestic policy!!?
TeamOrange
Don't be that guy
+84|6309

Sone wrote:

I'm suprised people actually want to run for President.  We need to resurrect FDR.
In Obamas speech after winning Iowa, he sounded like FDR
HollisHurlbut
+51|5996

Jepeto87 wrote:

Why does no one ever talk about domestic policy!!?
Because we're Team America: WORLD POLICE!

Seriously, though, I was going to slap Dilbert_X down on what the next president will need to face, since none of the things he listed (except Iraq) is either our business, or under our control.

teamorange wrote:

That's nothing new -- Obama always sounds like a piece of shit.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6536|Long Island, New York

teamorange wrote:

Sone wrote:

I actually thought the same thing. He really is an incredibly dynamic speaker. Kudos to him as well for speaking with his voice in that shape.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6403|North Carolina

HollisHurlbut wrote:

teamorange wrote:

That's nothing new -- Obama always sounds like a piece of shit.
Obama is way better than your man, Paul.  FDR was the greatest president we've ever had.
Commie Killer
+192|6385

Sone wrote:

Oh fuck no. That guy broke more laws then Nixon and Clinton combined. You want example, take it up with Turq, he hates the guy more then I do.
Turquoise
O Canada

Commie Killer wrote:

Sone wrote:

Oh fuck no. That guy broke more laws then Nixon and Clinton combined. You want example, take it up with Turq, he hates the guy more then I do.
Um...  I think you have me confused with someone else.
Commie Killer
+192|6385

Turquoise wrote:

Commie Killer wrote:

Sone wrote:

Social Security?  "Nanny State"? Or am I thinking of a different forum.

Last edited by Commie Killer (2008-01-05 10:25:59)

Turquoise
O Canada

Commie Killer wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Commie Killer wrote:

Social Security?
Unlike a lot of people, my feelings on policy are dependent on the times.  During the Great Depression, we NEEDED big government.  The Stock Market Crash was largely the result of government letting big business do whatever it felt like.

Nowadays, times have changed, but I still respect FDR for successfully getting us out of the recession and through the biggest war we've ever fought.

I think we need someone like FDR again, but not necessarily someone with the same policies.  I was thinking more about his leadership skills.
Commie Killer
+192|6385

Turquoise wrote:

Commie Killer wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Social Security?
Unlike a lot of people, my feelings on policy are dependent on the times.  During the Great Depression, we NEEDED big government.  The Stock Market Crash was largely the result of government letting big business do whatever it felt like.

Nowadays, times have changed, but I still respect FDR for successfully getting us out of the recession and through the biggest war we've ever fought.

I think we need someone like FDR again, but not necessarily someone with the same policies.  I was thinking more about his leadership skills.
I will agree with all points there. All said, for the time, he was a great president. Dont believe we need another one now. He was kind of like how Hitler pulled Germany out of the great depression. Just without being a total psychopath.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6715|Riva, MD

Sone wrote:

If there's still hair on his body, take a strand of it and $50K down to MIT and presto, you got an FDR ready to go in the next 20 years
RoosterCantrell
Goodbye :)
+399|6478|Somewhere else

I think the next President needs to concentrate on pulling out/ restructuring the middle east situation.  Maybe listen to what the people (u.s. troops AND Iraqi people) over there have to say.

Bush did a fine job completely ensuring that most of the world hates the U.S.  I think the next President should not ignore the 2 ton elephant in the room and at very least, admit to the world that Bush was terrible, counter productive president, and the next President should spend some time trying to heal the U.S. image.

As China becomes #1, I think it's pretty damn important to keep things friendly.

Domestic issues should take center stage, pull back a bit out of global affairs until our destabilizng economy can beef back up a bit.

As the human race continues to grow in numbers,  global population control she be an issue.

Global warming should be invested into ===Whether its real or not, it should be investigated from a NEUTRAL point of view===

Again, as the human race grows, and technology advances, I think colonizing space, although very far off, should be started and researched for the far future.
Turquoise
O Canada

Commie Killer wrote:

I will agree with all points there. All said, for the time, he was a great president. Dont believe we need another one now. He was kind of like how Hitler pulled Germany out of the great depression. Just without being a total psychopath.
I don't think that's a fair comparison.  He was very forceful and did some very questionable things (like how he tried to stack the Supreme Court and put Asian-Americans in internment camps), but he was also presiding over very tenuous times.  I daresay many other presidents would have gone a lot farther in the Big Brother direction had they been in his position.  Look at Bush, for example.  The Patriot Act would have been more understandable in the 40s, but with far less of a threat involved, we passed it after 9/11.

I'd say FDR was actually surprisingly restrained in some of his responses, given the times he was in.

I don't think you could call Hitler restrained in any sense of the word.
Commie Killer
+192|6385

Turquoise wrote:

Commie Killer wrote:

I don't think that's a fair comparison.  He was very forceful and did some very questionable things (like how he tried to stack the Supreme Court and put Asian-Americans in internment camps), but he was also presiding over very tenuous times.  I daresay many other presidents would have gone a lot farther in the Big Brother direction had they been in his position.  Look at Bush, for example.  The Patriot Act would have been more understandable in the 40s, but with far less of a threat involved, we passed it after 9/11.

I'd say FDR was actually surprisingly restrained in some of his responses, given the times he was in.

I don't think you could call Hitler restrained in any sense of the word.
Im not saying FDR was unrestrained, he did a great job, MUCH better then Wilson did in WWI.
Turquoise
O Canada
Very true...  At the same time, I certainly don't want the next president to dump billions in public works projects, but then again, we already do that for the private sector these days due to political pork.
Commie Killer
+192|6385

Turquoise wrote:

Very true...  At the same time, I certainly don't want the next president to dump billions in public works projects, but then again, we already do that for the private sector these days due to political pork.
I say create lobbying illegal. We got a few too million lawyers in our country.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6642

Commie Killer wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

statement like that means you dont know much about american politics.
Commie Killer
+192|6385

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

Commie Killer wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Excuse me, it was a general statement, of course we need lobying, that is how the word of the people gets to our representatives, in theory, problem is, you get one big corporation to send in a few lawyers, a hour later the congressman or woman gets a under the table paycheck, and soon they havea session at 3 in the morning to change a law that everyone thinks is pointless but just so happens to save that corporation a few billion dollars to year.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6642

Commie Killer wrote:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

Commie Killer wrote:

Excuse me, it was a general statement, of course we need lobying, that is how the word of the people gets to our representatives, in theory, problem is, you get one big corporation to send in a few lawyers, a hour later the congressman or woman gets a under the table paycheck, and soon they havea session at 3 in the morning to change a law that everyone thinks is pointless but just so happens to save that corporation a few billion dollars to year.
lobbying isnt bad.  thats like saying "lets do away sex because this one girl lied to me "
Commie Killer
+192|6385

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

Commie Killer wrote:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

lobbying isnt bad.  thats like saying "lets do away sex because this one girl lied to me "
Yes, in most cases it isnt. Just a example of how a war funding bill can have a little thing tacked on for shower curtains or something. Longer the bill takes to get through, the more pointless things are gonna be tacked on. Loosing us some real money.

"A billion here, a billion there, and soon your talking real money."
Turquoise
O Canada

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

Commie Killer wrote:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

I'd say lobbying is the worst part of our system.  It's the primary reason why the power is no longer in the hands of the people but in the hands of corporations.

Granted, the general public isn't exactly that intelligent anyway, so I guess we're back at square one....

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard