Poll

Intel or AMD? (DUAL CORE ONLY)

Intel77%77% - 42
Amd22%22% - 12
Total: 54
Shadow893
lel
+75|6708|England
So I've been deciding for about two months now about whether to get an Intel system or an AMD one. I searched (not very well truth be known) so if there is a previous thread about this then please direct me to it. (Readies the flame proof jacket)

In my dilema I've been tossing and froing between the two. The AMD's are cheaper with faster clock speeds but then I've heard that Intels outperform them by a long way. The Intel's on the other hand have slower clock speeds, for the same price, but then I saw that the clock speeds between the two are totally different.

So... the big debate - what should I go for? Intel or AMD? I have a budget of £120 so if anyone can help I would be hugely grateful.

Last edited by Shadow893 (2008-01-04 16:37:44)

Jibbles
Rifle Expert
+56|6645|Mexifornia, USA
I've used both. Intels perform better imo, but I've never ran an AMD with an Intel that had comparable specs.

I have an Intel dual core now and it handles anything I throw at it.

Last edited by Jibbles (2008-01-04 16:39:08)

Point&Shoot
Tank Whore
+52|6563|Canada
AMD is a better price for what you get.  They also produce less heat and AMD does sometimes have the best chip, but it does go back an forth.
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6165|'straya
personally i have a AMD dual core... and my brother has a Intel dual core... and i must say... my AMD out performs his intel in every way
aimless
+166|6141|Texas
I've heard great things about the Intel C2D E6750; and I just ordered it myself.

Here are some benchmarks for a lot of CPU's:
http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu_2007.html
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6670

Intel is leading right now. Only reason AMD had higher clocks was because they would just clock their older CPUs higher, whereas Intel is making more powerful chips. They go back and forth a lot, and soon Intel will just be clocking their chips higher while AMD develops new ones. But for the time being, Intel is win.

I currently have an Intel C2D E6750 at 2.66 GHz and doing phenomenal. And aimless posted a good link, Tom's Hardware is a great place to look up specs. When I ordered my CPU, the E6750 massively outperformed the AMD chip I was looking at for the same price.
Ender2309
has joined the GOP
+470|6587|USA
go intel. for the next year at least (probably longer) they're going to continue to lead the market. just make sure your motherboard supports it.
The#1Spot
+105|6556|byah
Some people are not getting it. He has only 120pounds to spend. Amd is the better route considering the tight budget. The only way you can get the power everyone boasts about out of an intel is if you have the top of the line motherboard and very flexible ram to go along with it.
aimless
+166|6141|Texas

The#1Spot wrote:

Some people are not getting it. He has only 120pounds to spend. Amd is the better route considering the tight budget. The only way you can get the power everyone boasts about out of an intel is if you have the top of the line motherboard and very flexible ram to go along with it.
The E6750 is only $189.99 (about £96)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6819115029
shadowkila
+26|6426|Canada
Intel costs more money to upgrade and repair,thats why i bought my AMD X2 6000+,runs very well and has lots of power and didn't cost me to much $.
bf2gammer
+14|6236
amd for your budget. if ur a hardcore gammer with some money you can spend, go with intel "at lease $250 usd"
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6597|SE London

Intel, obviously. What are all these people suggesting AMD going on about? There is no (current) sector of the market in which AMD CPUs perform better than Intel ones. The 6550 and 6750 are the obvious choices.

BTW clock speeds of differing architectures mean NOTHING, it is no basis for comparison.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard