Poll

Which Branch of the Armed forces could we do without?

1 Army14%14% - 19
2 Navy8%8% - 11
3 Air Force4%4% - 6
4 Leave it as it is.71%71% - 91
Total: 127
Burwhale
Save the BlobFish!
+136|6224|Brisneyland
With modern warfare being so different to that of 40 years ago, do we really need the same three branched approach to armed forces?

Looking at it this way, the Navy has a large compliment of Aircraft and in some countries a significant ground force (Marines etc).

The Army often has a large aircraft component.

The Air force has a small armed forces section however modern war is dominated by air power.

Clearly there is a billions of dollars duplication in admin and equipment there.

I am not talking cuts to the fighting force either, just redistributing the current resources so that more money can be spent on better equipment for armed forces, medical research, whatever else you can spend money on.

Personally I think that the Army would be the group most likely to go as their role could be effectively taken over by a bigger Navy. Air warfare would perform the initial strike, then the marines would perform the task of "occupation" if necessary.
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6624|Little Bentcock
Leave it.
Ender2309
has joined the GOP
+470|6573|USA
marines aren't a part of the navy....they work really closely with them though.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6132|North Tonawanda, NY
I don't think you can effectively remove any of the main branches of the military.  Each branch has overlapping equipment, but serves a different more specialized role.
BlackKoala
+215|6327
The Marines are in the Navy?
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

BlackKoala wrote:

The Marines are in the Navy?

Wikipedia wrote:

While administratively under the Department of the Navy, the U.S. Marine Corps is a separate branch of the military, often working closely with US Naval forces for training, transportation, and logistic purposes.
Source.
Burwhale
Save the BlobFish!
+136|6224|Brisneyland
marines aren't a part of the navy....they work really closely with them though.
The Marines are administered under the Navy, however they are basically a separate force ( in the USA at least). I am not pointing the finger at the USA in this post as the same could be done for other countries too.

Also I am not naieve enough to believe that it will actually happen, I just think a 2 branch armed force could probably do the same job with less expense.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

Burwhale the Avenger wrote:

Also I am not naieve enough to believe that it will actually happen, I just think a 2 branch armed force could probably do the same job with less expense.
How?  The equipment and administration would still exist.  You would still have the same amount of people, unless you want a personnel reduction as well.  I don't see how there would be any substantial savings.  Am I missing something obvious?

Last edited by SenorToenails (2008-01-03 21:49:07)

BVC
+325|6697
Soon you will need another branch; the Space Corps.
RedTwizzler
I do it for the lulz.
+124|6539|Chicago
All military branch allegiances aside, please. (Especially the Marines.)

The navy is relatively unneccesary in the current war climate (an organized, well-armed force against insurgents), aside from carrying aircraft from place to place. The marines are relatively unneccesary in that they are performing virtually the same duties as the army.

Not that I think it would ever occur, but I think that a 2-pronged military would be effective. One branch would be devoted to establishing air superiority through the use of aircraft carriers, some infantry to secure certain air-related infrastructure (like airfields and refueling stations), and, of course, aircraft of whatever kind. The other would be devoted to ground operations, similar to what the army does right now.
san4
The Mas
+311|6690|NYC, a place to live
We can do without all of them if we just talk really really nicely to our enemies.
golgoj4
+51|6776|North Hollywood

Pubic wrote:

where do i sign up?
Unreal_Insanity
+9|6167

Pubic wrote:

We already have a Space Corps, its called Air Force Space Command and it falls under the 14th and 20th Air Force. I'm enlisted as a 1C671 with a Space 200 certification and serve under Buckley AFB, 460th Space Wing.

Back in the eatry '90s we wanted to separate Space Command and create its own branch and fall under Space Corps but was shot down by congress quickly.

Last edited by Unreal_Insanity (2008-01-03 22:22:00)

CC-Marley
+407|6830

SenorToenails wrote:

I don't think you can effectively remove any of the main branches of the military.  Each branch has overlapping equipment, but serves a different more specialized role.
Navy gives them a ride.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6683|Disaster Free Zone
This is one of the major reasons for the JSF (Joint Strike fighter) AKA F-35. 1 standardised frame and interchangeable components to suit the needs of all branches of military. I think all (3) branches are necessary but more development into interchangeable technologies like the F-35 need to used to reduce costs.

Army: Wars are not won and lost by the number of kills you get but rather by the land you occupy. A military without an ground based Army would no doubt cause havoc in the enemy but will also never will. You need the army to clear up after the air strikes and to control and occupy the territory afterwards.

Air force: Lets face it, the air force is where most of your fire power comes from, planes have always since as early as WWI controlled the battle field, planes are the most devastating force on the battle field, and without control of the air you will lose the battle.

Navy: Although wars won and lost on naval superiority are well over the modern navy is still necessary for a number of things. Submarines are a major tool for intelligence, stealth infiltration and attacks on harbours. Aircraft carriers carry enough fire power to demolish small countries single handed and without the control of the seas you lose vital trade and logistics routes for invasion.

Marines: They are about the only group I see no real need for, they pretty much do the job of the army but from a naval first strike deployment rather then land insertion and occupation. They could quiet easily be included in both Army as a naval division or Navy and a infantry division, but due to there unique role I see no real need to.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6677|Canberra, AUS
I thought there were four branches to the armed forces? Marines?
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Burwhale
Save the BlobFish!
+136|6224|Brisneyland

senor toenails wrote:

How?  The equipment and administration would still exist.  You would still have the same amount of people, unless you want a personnel reduction as well.  I don't see how there would be any substantial savings.  Am I missing something obvious?
We have 3 lots of admin now, when there would only be 2 lots. Equipment could be standardized to make saving also. I realise we cant do without the actual job each branch does, just think that most aspect of each could be absorbed into 2.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6646
retard
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6646

rdx-fx wrote:

lol.

for the USA, you left out the branches that could be folded into one of the main 3 branches.

Coast Guard could be folded into the Navy
Marines could be folded into the Army or Navy.  (I'd prefer that the Army was a little more like the Marines in some ways).

Marines folded into navy makes sense from a mission/capabilities standpoint... they're on the same boats anyways.
Making the Marines a "Tab School"  like Airborne, Ranger, or SF .. almost maybe kinda sorta makes a little sense too.

As it stands, the 5 branches are different enough in focus to warrant the separation.
In actuality, Special Operations Command is starting to act alot like a 6th branch.
that naval tradition is what steered me away from the USMC.

Last edited by GunSlinger OIF II (2008-01-03 23:22:41)

S3v3N
lolwut?
+685|6520|Montucky

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

Horse Shit.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6646

S3v3N wrote:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

Horse Shit.
aye aye?
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6646
I just really never felt the navy was for me and the USMC regardless of being the men's dept, its still a part of it.
S3v3N
lolwut?
+685|6520|Montucky

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

S3v3N wrote:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

Horse Shit.
aye aye?
Touche.

Aye Aye Cappin.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6646
interservice rivalry is healthy
S3v3N
lolwut?
+685|6520|Montucky
All my family was in either the Army or Navy except my old man, he was a freakin Zoomie.. so I had to be the black sheep.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard