bEAv3D
+24|6733|Fayettenam, NC USA
OK, so our clan just added its second server a little while back.  First, our #1 server, THE CHICKEN SHACK, runs pretty strong.  It is a 50 man SF server running Ghost, Warlord, Mass D., and Surge.  It is ranked 44th from www.gametracker.com.  Our second server is a 64 man server.  We started it out as a Vanilla server, but it hardly ever ran.  Since our clan plays mostly SF, we switched it over to a 64 man SF IO server.  That brought SOME success, but still didn't hardly fill the server.  Now, it's running 24/7 Warlord with vehicles. 

My question is what map rotation / server set up do you look for?

SF or Vanilla?
Infantry Only or vehicles?
FF on or off?
Punish and Mutiny on or off?
Map rotation?
Map size?

Thanks in advance for everyone's help.  We just want to get this server into the top 50 like our other one.

)HTH( bEAv3D
www.hthclan.com

Last edited by bEAv3D (2008-01-03 08:27:43)

{UK-US}Scotty
+12|6504
Its nice to have a Warlord with Vehicles - what about making standard BF2 as you already have a SF server?  Too many I/O for my liking....
Skorpy-chan
+127|6384|Twyford, UK
Generally, vanilla city maps with vehicles, FF on, limited or no rotation, big maps, at least 10 people a side. IO is godawful.

If I'm in the mood for the SF toys, small maps with vehicles. I haven't played enough of it to really get a preference because nobody plays it and half the time I join a server in the middle of grenade spamfests. Again, no IO because it sucks.
bEAv3D

{UK-US}Scotty wrote:

Its nice to have a Warlord with Vehicles - what about making standard BF2 as you already have a SF server?  Too many I/O for my liking....
I'm with you on the Warlord with vehicles.  If for nothing else, the 4 wheelers.  We had the server set up as a standard BF2 server to start with, but it sat empty most of the time.

Thanks for the input!
bEAv3D

Skorpy-chan wrote:

Generally, vanilla city maps with vehicles, FF on, limited or no rotation, big maps, at least 10 people a side. IO is godawful.

If I'm in the mood for the SF toys, small maps with vehicles. I haven't played enough of it to really get a preference because nobody plays it and half the time I join a server in the middle of grenade spamfests. Again, no IO because it sucks.
I agree with you on not having a large variety of maps.  Less load time means more time for killing!  So, I'm thinking you would prefer a 24/7 server of some sort?  I have a feeling NOT having it set to IO is going to be a good thing. 

Thanks for the help!
Skorpy-chan
+127|6384|Twyford, UK

bEAv3D wrote:

Skorpy-chan wrote:

I agree with you on not having a large variety of maps.  Less load time means more time for killing!  So, I'm thinking you would prefer a 24/7 server of some sort?  I have a feeling NOT having it set to IO is going to be a good thing. 

Thanks for the help!
Actually, 24/7 servers don't keep my interest for long. I get sick of the same map over and over. Ideally, a server has 3-5 different maps rotating to keep things fresh.
There are too many IO servers around, don't join the crowd, PLEASE.

Personally, I recommend Sharqi, Mashtuur, Songua Stalemate (because it needs more love), Dragon Valley, FuShe, and maybe Zatar Wetlands for a big open choice. Karkand is popular but gets boring fast, and Jalalabad is a server killer because it's just Karkand with even less chance for the defense.
bEAv3D
I will offer up the map suggestions to the clan.  I don't know how likely it will be that we switch back to a Vanilla server, but we'll see.  Last night we switched it back to an IO server (poop).  However, we put it on smaller (32 player) maps, so we'll see how that goes.

Thanks again for everyone's advice.
Mint Sauce
Frighteningly average
+780|6325|eng

bEAv3D wrote:

I will offer up the map suggestions to the clan.  I don't know how likely it will be that we switch back to a Vanilla server, but we'll see.  Last night we switched it back to an IO server (poop).  However, we put it on smaller (32 player) maps, so we'll see how that goes.

Thanks again for everyone's advice.
One thing that is needed is a 24/7 Mashtuur City server, either IO or not. Easily the best city map.
#rekt
Snake
Missing, Presumed Dead
+1,046|6605|England

bEAv3D wrote:

SF or Vanilla?
Vanilla, SF, EF, AF.
That doesnt apply to me...I play the entire game.

bEAv3D wrote:

Infantry Only or vehicles?
Vehicles 90% of the time

bEAv3D wrote:

FF on or off?
On.

bEAv3D wrote:

Punish and Mutiny on or off?
Couldnt care.

bEAv3D wrote:

Map rotation?
Dont mind, so long as its not 24/7 karkand, Wake or Warlord.

bEAv3D wrote:

Map size?
Any.
HTHTucoTheRat
+2|6189|Clemson, South Carolina
I will neither confirm nor deny that this "bEAv3D" character has anything to do with )HTH( clan.   Just kidding.

Personally, I love I/O (Vanilla or SF) but I really detested the small "We just got the server populated games" in Vanilla with vehicles, as they invariably turned into a good ol fashioned marsh mellow roast once the camping started.  This usually resulted in at least a few disconnects that either ended the game or kept it small enough to ensure another round of camping.  Thus the reason very few guests made multiple return visits to the server.

Sooooooooooo, I guess the question is...If you could make a server of your own, how would you set it up to ensure that your guests enjoy the experience?

We seemed to have found a good formula for our SF Vehicle server.  Since the beginning of December it was ranked #198, then dropped to #395, and is now pulled out of it's nose dive and is currently #39.  What we are looking to do, is set up our second server in such a way as to make it appealing to the BF2 community and still be different from the SF Vehicle server we are running.  )HTH( would love to hear from as many people as possible so we can provide a decent product.
steelie34
pub hero!
+603|6420|the land of bourbon
24/7 gator.  j/k 

how bout perch, night flight, and leviathan?  packet-loss used to have a night map rotation, but i cant find it anymore.  and only one leviathan is needed, as those rounds usually last a long time, so people leave if it's twice in a row.  something like perch 2, levi 1, flight 2?
https://bf3s.com/sigs/36e1d9e36ae924048a933db90fb05bb247fe315e.png
Skorpy-chan
+127|6384|Twyford, UK
I reiterate: A mix of the more mobile city maps with open maps reasonably low on jets. Something like sharqi -> Dragon Valley -> Mashtuur -> Zatar Wetlands -> Songua -> FuShe. Unlocks allowed, vehicles enabled. That's about as far from SF as you can get without degenerating into mass jet rape.
propyl
+11|6738

steelie34 wrote:

24/7 gator.  j/k 

how bout perch, night flight, and leviathan?  packet-loss used to have a night map rotation, but i cant find it anymore.  and only one leviathan is needed, as those rounds usually last a long time, so people leave if it's twice in a row.  something like perch 2, levi 1, flight 2?
hah you know any man with a forklift kill in his sig loves a night server.

You know honestly I enjoy the night maps, but they can be difficult for people with older video cards to run and thus can clear out a server quickly. As a fan of SF i'll play any of the maps, short rounds or long rounds, day or night... it just doesnt matter. But.. as a guy that has to help pay for the server, I definitely want to play somewhere that has people on it. Night maps just don't bring in the people

Last edited by propyl (2008-01-10 12:31:57)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard