Volatile
+252|6706|Sextupling in Empire

Last week I PURCHASED the first season of Stargate Atlantis. I watched it, thought it was worth my time to watch the rest of what was available. I then went on ebay and purchased the 2nd and 3rd season(basically all that is out right now for purchase). I figured, "Fuck, I might as well get fully caught up to speed and get the episodes that were recently aired - SINCE I JUST PAID FOR ALL THIS OTHER SHIT!!!!!".

So I head over to my brothers house and download the stuff that has recently aired.

10 hours later my brother gets an email from his ISP saying that they've been contacted by MGM about possible illegal downloads, and that he has to delete all files and send them an email back stating what he has done to remedy the situation, or they're shutting down his fucking internet!! The email also eludes to the possibility that MGM may take court action against this offense.

So I'm assuming that MGM is setting up PCs with torrent programs/files to attain IP addresses, after which they contact the ISP and threaten a lawsuit.

Anyone else run into this shit yet?

Oh, and those that want to flame me for using torrents, I bought whatever was physically available, so STFU.
Frogfan105
+18|6001|Your basement
Yay.....You know its illegal to do that, so its your/his fault.
You could just record it using a DVR, or wait.
FYI: The fees related to torrenting illegal copies is reallllllly steep

Last edited by Frogfan105 (2008-01-02 14:25:45)

Marlboroman82
Personal philosophy: Clothing optional.
+1,022|6625|Camp XRay

sux2beu.... i don't know how much it helps but i always encrypt my traffic when i download large files like that
https://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l250/marlboroman82/Untitled-8.png
BlackKoala
+215|6327
You bought the discs, which were being sent.  Had you paid for that torrent legally, then you wouldn't have been contacted by MGM.  They don't know/care that you bought the discs elsewhere.
Volatile

Marlboroman82 wrote:

sux2beu.... i don't know how much it helps but i always encrypt my traffic when i download large files like that
You wouldn't happen to have a link showing how to do this effectively would you?
RoosterCantrell
Goodbye :)
+399|6482|Somewhere else

alot of people get this, one of my friends got this, they ddin't go through a bunch of shit, but they were warned that the next time he downloaded copyrighted material, he will be permanentally banned from any service by his ISP.

Your fault.  Bad move.

Just watch what you do.

Peerguardian2 is nice for watching bad torrents. and by bad torrents, I mean torrents you don't want.   so, if you ask me if i am saying tracable torrents or copyrighted material I say "no" and LURKMOAR.
Frogfan105
+18|6001|Your basement
I only use torrents for user created game content and such, so i haven't ever had this sort of problem. I never will ,because i don't like to steal things.
Dragonclaw
+186|6307|Florida
Download through warez with rapidshare or join a private torrent tracker or you can easily be fucked by the thin small cock of these retards by downloading marked torrents.

Last edited by Dragonclaw (2008-01-02 14:36:29)

Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6758|Scotland

That is exactly why I don't use Bittorrent. It lasted a few months without it being touched, now look. Not good.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6539|Long Island, New York
Don't respond to it. If you don't admit you did it, there's nothing they can do.

I got a similar letter for downloading MS Office. And I DIDN'T EVEN DOWNLOAD IT! I downloaded the installer but figured I wouldn't go through with it and I'd just get it legally just in case (this was before I knew about/got Open Office). We got a letter and I'm like "hax". Turns out, if you don't reply to them, there's absolutely nothing they can do.
Volatile

RoosterCantrell wrote:

alot of people get this, one of my friends got this, they ddin't go through a bunch of shit, but they were warned that the next time he downloaded copyrighted material, he will be permanentally banned from any service by his ISP.
Thanks for posting, this is what I'm interested in finding out, wether I can expect to pay a fine or get off with a warning.
462nd NSP653
Devout Moderate, Empty Head.
+57|6686

Volatile_Squirrel wrote:

Marlboroman82 wrote:

You wouldn't happen to have a link showing how to do this effectively would you?
I do not support or abdicate illegal downloading of any kind but to encrypt your Internet traffic for other reasons.... Google "TOR" or "onion networks".
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6470
I don't understand why downloading copyrighted material is illegal. You didn't "steal" shit, its there for you to take. The only people who did anything that can be considered wrong are the people who uploaded it.
Volatile

Poseidon wrote:

Don't respond to it. If you don't admit you did it, there's nothing they can do.

I got a similar letter for downloading MS Office. And I DIDN'T EVEN DOWNLOAD IT! I downloaded the installer but figured I wouldn't go through with it and I'd just get it legally just in case (this was before I knew about/got Open Office). We got a letter and I'm like "hax". Turns out, if you don't reply to them, there's absolutely nothing they can do.
They didn't kill your fucking internet?
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef

Volatile_Squirrel wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

Nope. They really had no proof anyways because as I said I never actually downloaded it.
Richard2000
Banned
+39|6547|England
am up to S4/E10 and all downloaded on limewire
lmfao
RoosterCantrell
Goodbye :)
+399|6482|Somewhere else

Volatile_Squirrel wrote:

RoosterCantrell wrote:

Thanks for posting, this is what I'm interested in finding out, wether I can expect to pay a fine or get off with a warning.
It probably is a scared straight kinds thing.  Unless the are looking to make examples, they're pobably just trying to scare the shit out of you.

which it should, some people have been OWNED for this.

cover your ass, or get your ass raped.

I don't mess with movie/song downloads at all.  The RIAA and movie corperations are the law (thanks lobbyists) and you have no power to fight them.  Don't fuck with the men that can buy the law.
Shem
sɥǝɯ
+152|6529|London (At Heart)

alluc.org
BlackKoala
+215|6327

Poseidon wrote:

Volatile_Squirrel wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

Nope. They really had no proof anyways because as I said I never actually downloaded it.
Well, don't be so naive as to think they need proof you downloaded the file.  When you signed the TOS/EULA, I'm 99.9% positive there's a clause in there somewhere that would allow them to kill your connection for any suspect of piracy.  And if not for that one, I KNOW there's one in there that says they hold the right to terminate service at any time for any reason.

They can always fall back on that one. 
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6569|NYC / Hamburg

You have to be really careful with MGM stuff. Nearly all stargate torrents are watched. Use rapidshare/usenet instead
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6718
Love is the answer
FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6693|Devon, England
So Rapidshare's safe...

What about stuff like Frostwire?

It's... For a friend...
ceslayer23
IN YOUR MIRROR
+142|6363|CLOSER THAN I APPEAR

Poseidon wrote:

so you did download it......

or no?
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef

ceslayer23 wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

so you did download it......

or no?
it was the installer to download MS Office. I dunno. But I essentially DIDN'T download MS Office.
PspRpg-7
-
+961|6700

Poseidon wrote:

Haha. So it's like stopping for a mall security guard.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard