Funky_Finny
Banned
+456|6259|Carnoustie, Scotland
https://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa178/Funky_Finny/halp-1.jpg
https://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa178/Funky_Finny/cpuz.jpg
Dad doesn't think I can get a better processor, can I?

Last edited by Funky_Finny (2007-12-31 05:21:04)

Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6708|SE London

I'm not sure. You certainly couldn't do a worthwhile CPU upgrade. It would be a serious waste of money spending more on that system.
Airwolf
Latter Alcoholic
+287|6846|Scotland
upgrade processor

therefore upgrade mobo

therefore upgrade RAM

not worth it, unless you REALLY got the money.
Funky_Finny
Banned

Bertster7 wrote:

I'm not sure. You certainly couldn't do a worthwhile CPU upgrade. It would be a serious waste of money spending more on that system.
Not really, I'm currently running 2GB DDR RAM, nVidia 7600GT, and that processor, so if I got maybe a 3Ghz one, I could really max out the usage from my Gfx card.... The processor is holding me back.....Clicky
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6708|SE London

Funky_Finny wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Not really, I'm currently running 2GB DDR RAM, nVidia 7600GT, and that processor, so if I got maybe a 3Ghz one, I could really max out the usage from my Gfx card.... The processor is holding me back.....Clicky
Barely holding you back - it's not like the rest of your setup is anything special. Depends what you mean by holding you back anyway. In 80% of cases so long as you have your settings done right, it'll make no difference.

Buying a new CPU for that mobo is just plain stupid.

Airwolf wrote:

upgrade processor

therefore upgrade mobo

therefore upgrade RAM

not worth it, unless you REALLY got the money.
You forgot upgrade GPU (AGP).
Kurazoo
Pheasant Plucker
+440|6811|West Yorkshire, U.K
no, it wouldn't be worth it, you need a new mobo, processor and RAM, like the other guys are saying
Funky_Finny
Banned
I'm not asking IS IT WORTH IT
I'm asking CAN I DO IT
Idea
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6708|SE London

Funky_Finny wrote:

I'm asking CAN I DO IT
Idea
Not necessarily. Not all 478 boards support 800MHz FSBs. Yours looks like it might not.

Not that you'd notice any real appreciable difference. It's a complete waste of money. Put that money to one side and use it for a proper upgrade later. Even better, spend it on beer.
Funky_Finny
Banned

Bertster7 wrote:

Funky_Finny wrote:

I'm asking CAN I DO IT
Idea
Spend it on beer.
I'm 15.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6708|SE London

Funky_Finny wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Funky_Finny wrote:

I'm asking CAN I DO IT
Idea
Spend it on beer.
I'm 15.
So?
Funky_Finny
Banned

Bertster7 wrote:

Funky_Finny wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Spend it on beer.
I'm 15.
So?
Win xD
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6323|Winland

Bertster7 wrote:

Funky_Finny wrote:

I'm asking CAN I DO IT
Idea
Not necessarily. Not all 478 boards support 800MHz FSBs. Yours looks like it might not.

Not that you'd notice any real appreciable difference. It's a complete waste of money. Put that money to one side and use it for a proper upgrade later. Even better, spend it on beer.
The 865 chips support FSB800.

You can put any S478 CPU on that board, unless Dell has put some limits on it.

This CPU would be a good choice.

Last edited by Freezer7Pro (2007-12-31 06:19:03)

The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6708|SE London

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Funky_Finny wrote:

I'm asking CAN I DO IT
Idea

Fair enough. I'm not very up on my P4 chipsets, especially not the 478 ones.

No CPU for that board would be a good choice, and from what I've seen of your setups, you're the last person he should be taking advice from (not that you don't seem to know your stuff, you just keep mucking about with pointless old hardware that's worthless) on sensible, worthwhile upgrades - you seem to be eternally fiddling around with pointless little tiny upgrades on archaic hardware - just buy new stuff.

Perpetual crappy old upgrades are a very cost ineffective way of keeping your system up to date.

His best bet would probably be to get an ASRock VSTA board and a C2D, keeping his old hardware and bringing his PC almost up to date. Long term, it's an added expense, but in the short term it makes sense.
Marlboroman82
Personal philosophy: Clothing optional.
+1,022|6749|Camp XRay

not to mention it is insanely difficult to remove the heat sink on one of the older dell p4 boards. they have these little plastic clips which supposedly pop out but most of the time they just break off when you try to remove it. also the stock cooling is terrible and p4 3.0 ghz chips run really hot. if i were you i would invest your time and money into a new pc and use the older one as a file server or a doorstop.
https://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l250/marlboroman82/Untitled-8.png
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6323|Winland

Bertster7 wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Fair enough. I'm not very up on my P4 chipsets, especially not the 478 ones.

No CPU for that board would be a good choice, and from what I've seen of your setups, you're the last person he should be taking advice from (not that you don't seem to know your stuff, you just keep mucking about with pointless old hardware that's worthless) on sensible, worthwhile upgrades - you seem to be eternally fiddling around with pointless little tiny upgrades on archaic hardware - just buy new stuff.

Perpetual crappy old upgrades are a very cost ineffective way of keeping your system up to date.

His best bet would probably be to get an ASRock VSTA board and a C2D, keeping his old hardware and bringing his PC almost up to date. Long term, it's an added expense, but in the short term it makes sense.
What I'm saying is that he can at least survive on a P4 3GHz with HT. Hell, a 130nm Northwood 2.4 is junk in gaming purposes.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
Funky_Finny
Banned

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Blah blah
Blah blah
What I'm saying is that he can at least survive on a P4 3GHz with HT. Hell, a 130nm Northwood 2.4 is junk in gaming purposes.
Oi
Negerkungen
I could not care less
+541|6869|Topside

Sure you can get a faster 478,I used to have a 3.6 Ghz.But I doubt you'll find one on the market though.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard