Airwolf
Latter Alcoholic
+287|6710|Scotland
Story taken from here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6904821.stm

and

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jh … est127.xml

Having just turned 17 and gaining my provisional license, I have to say I am totally against this. I have been waiting for so long to drive at 17 when all my friends had their birthdays in June. I have mine in December an yet again the government (because it's the government) thwarts us.

The driving test is to be a 12 month course, hoping to reduce accidents and broaden new drivers' experience. I can live with that, in fact I'm all for it. It's the fact it's going to rise to 18 that really bothers me. 1 year. what difference exactly?

I know for some of you it's going to be very easy to say "oh it's 1 year, get over it" and also it's very easy to not be empathetic because most of you are over 18 and have your license. Sorry, it's the fact that I've spent a year smiling through people bragging about passing their test, and I was all excited to get my test done this year sometime.

If this goes forward, I dunno. I guess I'll have to wait.

Again, the few idiots spoiling it for the most of us who actually use cars for purposes other than street racing.

/Airwolf's first DST topic.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6395|North Carolina
I wish the drinking age was 18 here.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6611|London, England
Oooh. One year. Most people don't even get their cars until they've left sixth form/college anyway.
rustynutz
I am British!
+124|6673|England and damn proud
I really doubt this will go through.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6675|United States of America

Turquoise wrote:

You say that like the fact that it isn't somehow stops people. I wish the penalties for drug crimes and such like this were harsher.

Still, there's a movement going through in my state to raise the age to 18 here, yet it doesn't seem like it will happen soon, if ever. The majority of people still suck at driving at any age, though.

Last edited by DesertFox- (2007-12-28 15:10:29)

Turquoise
O Canada

DesertFox- wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

You say that like the fact that it isn't somehow stops people. I wish the penalties for drug crimes and such like this were harsher.
Uh...  that sounds rather fascist.  You do realize Prohibition didn't work, which is most of the reason why the War on Drugs doesn't work.

You simply cannot keep substances of high demand from the people.  The government is here to protect us from each other, not from ourselves.

If I want to smoke a blunt, the government should mind its own damn business.
jord
+2,382|6668|The North, beyond the wall.
I hate that Gwyneth woman. Wish she'd give it a rest.

When is the birth date that will be excluded? Like Jan 1st 1991 or something? Then anyone born after that can drive.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6120|North Tonawanda, NY
You know, constantly thinking that everyone else has it better because they drive before you is a real waste of time.  I didn't get my license until I was 21, and I could have gotten it as early as 16.  Driving is not the end-all be-all of life.  Like Mek-Izzle said, I couldn't afford a car before then anyway.
robcr9
+111|5971
gay tbh, doesnt stop me driving
jord

SenorToenails wrote:

You know, constantly thinking that everyone else has it better because they drive before you is a real waste of time.  I didn't get my license until I was 21, and I could have gotten it as early as 16.  Driving is not the end-all be-all of life.  Like Mek-Izzle said, I couldn't afford a car before then anyway.
Well it depends how far work is or the area you live in.

Around here sitting on a bus as an Egg hits the window and 10 year olds kick your seat is only fun for a while...
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

Turquoise wrote:

You simply cannot keep substances of high demand from the people.  The government is here to protect us from each other, not from ourselves.

I agree with you.  While I don't smoke marijuana, nor would I if it were legal, it really shouldn't be illegal.  But where does that belief break down?  Should all substances be legal?  Should narcotics no longer be controlled?  Heroine?  Cocaine?

That's the problem with that argument.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

jord wrote:

Well it depends how far work is or the area you live in.

Around here sitting on a bus as an Egg hits the window and 10 year olds kick your seat is only fun for a while...
I rode a bike to work-- about 3 miles each way during the summers I lived with my parents.  Then I got a job at my university, and arranged to live within walking distance of my office.  I used to ride a bus to get around town, or take a cab.

If you learn to swallow your pride and take the bus, then you'll be better off.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6675|United States of America

Turquoise wrote:

DesertFox- wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Uh...  that sounds rather fascist.  You do realize Prohibition didn't work, which is most of the reason why the War on Drugs doesn't work.

I'm aware of how facist it is.

Prohibition is part of my logic why I despise drugs like alcohol, tobacco, marijuana, and whatever else people use. Even though it was against the law and provides no beneficial effects on the body from a medicinal standpoint, there was still demand. Drugs have society by the nutsack, and the message is now that alcohol is okay. It's expanding to a state of indifference towards drug use. People don't care enough to get rid of the scourges on society right now. Alcohol is probably the most commonly abused drug today; people drink several at a single sitting without even thinking.
Unless you're on a drug like opium, where you want to find a nook away from others, you're likely going to be out with people. If you want to use drugs do so, but guarantee me that you're not going to be able to harm anyone else via driving or even being out near people. That's where the government has to protect us from each other.

I've had a unique upbringing in that I was raised in a household without alcohol. My dad has an intolerance to wheat so he can't have beer or other alcohol made from grains, and my mom rarely drank. I always get so upset when I go on Facebook and see tagged pics of my friends where they're drunk as loons and still underage. I'm hoping that somehow they learn their lesson about moderation, but moreso that they society acknowledges this as wrong via giving them an arrest and seeing how that helps. I plan never to drink alcohol in my life, but with college starting soon, it may be harder than I imagine. My philosophy towards drugs is: there's no logical reason to use them recreationally.

My mind was racing while making that like it always does so it may seem incoherent and jumpy

On topic though:
The UK folk drive on the left.

Last edited by DesertFox- (2007-12-28 15:33:42)

Turquoise
O Canada
Before this gets derailed much further, let me just say that I agree with you to an extent, DesertFox, but the social nature of alcohol is best demonstrated in countries like Germany.

America is not as good at holding its liquor because it does not immerse its people in alcohol with a family atmosphere.  We treat it as a taboo until we turn 21.  This is not a healthy way to live.

Familiarity with a substance in a guided tolerant environment is sure to minimize abuse of that substance in later life.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

DesertFox- wrote:

Unless you're on a drug like opium, where you want to find a nook away from others, you're likely going to be out with people. If you want to use drugs do so, but guarantee me that you're not going to be able to harm anyone else via driving or even being out near people. That's where the government has to protect us from each other.
That is why public intoxication is illegal.  The government does protect us from each other in that respect.
Bell
Frosties > Cornflakes
+362|6539|UK

Turquoise wrote:

Before this gets derailed much further, let me just say that I agree with you to an extent, DesertFox, but the social nature of alcohol is best demonstrated in countries like Germany.

America is not as good at holding its liquor because it does not immerse its people in alcohol with a family atmosphere.  We treat it as a taboo until we turn 21.  This is not a healthy way to live.

Familiarity with a substance in a guided tolerant environment is sure to minimize abuse of that substance in later life.
Totally agree with that, while I was growing up, when I had a friend over, they where almost amazed at the idea we where offered alchol (not exactly strong mind u), and it was asked with no more hesitation than asking if you want coke or pepsi.  My familiararity is what I put down to my views on alchol.  YOU ARE LEGAL TO DRINK!  And?  Good way I think.

More so on the actual idea of increasing the age.  I think so.  Young men are the most likely to get into accidents, and lets face it, these things are lethal weapons, not 17 year olds arent capable of driving cars safely, am sure there are exceptions, but the fact is, out of everyone sitting there test, there the ones more likely to get into an accident.  IF this proved to increase the level of driving seen on public roads, that can only be a good thing surely? 

Though, if they want to charge you a fortune for it, think the argument looses all its steam tbh.

Martyn
jord

Bell wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Totally agree with that, while I was growing up, when I had a friend over, they where almost amazed at the idea we where offered alchol (not exactly strong mind u), and it was asked with no more hesitation than asking if you want coke or pepsi.  My familiararity is what I put down to my views on alchol.  YOU ARE LEGAL TO DRINK!  And?  Good way I think.

More so on the actual idea of increasing the age.  I think so.  Young men are the most likely to get into accidents, and lets face it, these things are lethal weapons, not 17 year olds arent capable of driving cars safely, am sure there are exceptions, but the fact is, out of everyone sitting there test, there the ones more likely to get into an accident.  IF this proved to increase the level of driving seen on public roads, that can only be a good thing surely? 

Though, if they want to charge you a fortune for it, think the argument looses all its steam tbh.

Martyn
You could argue that the reason why 17 year olds are most likely to have an accident is because they have just passed their test. If it goes to 18, it will still be the same.
Bell
Frosties > Cornflakes
+362|6539|UK

jord wrote:

Bell wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Martyn
You could argue that the reason why 17 year olds are most likely to have an accident is because they have just passed their test. If it goes to 18, it will still be the same.
17 year old wouldnt of had 12 months training though.  Granted, just having 12 months training doesnt mean you will be better, but surely there will be a benifit.  Make everyone pass Gran Turisimo 5 and there ya go lol

Martyn
Turquoise
O Canada

jord wrote:

Yep...  Good point.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

jord wrote:

More than likely, 17 year olds get into accidents more because they are stupid, immature, and succumb to peer pressure easily.  When Jim in the passenger seat thinks it would be cool to try and hit 100 mph in a residential zone, and Joe who is driving wants to be "cool", nothing good can result.  Once people grow up a little, that kind of shit doesn't happen.  But until then....
mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6712|Sydney, Australia
Proposals in the MPs' report, called Novice Drivers, include:

people learning to drive from the age of 17, but not taking the test until they are 18

drivers completing a set minimum number of lessons with a structured syllabus

extending hazard-perception training using computer simulators to encourage better habits in young drivers-to-be

a zero alcohol limit for all drivers for a year after passing their test

banning drivers from carrying passengers aged between 10 and 20 from 11pm to 5am for a year after passing their test
What is the current arrangement with driving in the UK?

In Australia (New South Wakes at least), we can start learning from 16, but are not able to take the test for our P's (provisional licence) until we are 17. We have to complete a mandatory 50 hours of driving during that time, but it's being/has been increased to 120 hours. We then hold our Red P's for a year. After that is a computer hazard perception test then the Green P's for 2 years (before a full licence).

The proposals cited from the article don't seem that bad in terms of Zero BAC (blood alcohol content). For P's here its 0.00 BAC. It's just a pain for the morning after a party... sometimes we can't drive until midday.

We also have the passenger restrictions from 11pm - the driver and one passenger. This is total bullshit: it destroyed the Designated Driver scheme.
Eagle
Togs8896 is my evil alter ego
+567|6621|New Hampshire, USA
i started drving at 15.5

EDIT: Sweet, just realised its my 666th day!

Last edited by -=]NS[=-Eagle (2007-12-28 19:32:29)

https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/14407/Sig_Pats.jpg
Turquoise
O Canada

SenorToenails wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

I agree with you.  While I don't smoke marijuana, nor would I if it were legal, it really shouldn't be illegal.  But where does that belief break down?  Should all substances be legal?  Should narcotics no longer be controlled?  Heroine?  Cocaine?

That's the problem with that argument.
Eh... let's just start with legalizing the soft drugs, and then we'll discuss the harder ones.
Peter
Super Awesome Member
+494|6392|dm_maidenhead
As long as it doesn't go ahead within 6 months I'm fine. (17 on 6th June)

Okay 6 months and a bit
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6572|SE London

mcminty wrote:

Proposals in the MPs' report, called Novice Drivers, include:

people learning to drive from the age of 17, but not taking the test until they are 18

drivers completing a set minimum number of lessons with a structured syllabus

extending hazard-perception training using computer simulators to encourage better habits in young drivers-to-be

a zero alcohol limit for all drivers for a year after passing their test

banning drivers from carrying passengers aged between 10 and 20 from 11pm to 5am for a year after passing their test
What is the current arrangement with driving in the UK?

In Australia (New South Wakes at least), we can start learning from 16, but are not able to take the test for our P's (provisional licence) until we are 17. We have to complete a mandatory 50 hours of driving during that time, but it's being/has been increased to 120 hours. We then hold our Red P's for a year. After that is a computer hazard perception test then the Green P's for 2 years (before a full licence).

The proposals cited from the article don't seem that bad in terms of Zero BAC (blood alcohol content). For P's here its 0.00 BAC. It's just a pain for the morning after a party... sometimes we can't drive until midday.

We also have the passenger restrictions from 11pm - the driver and one passenger. This is total bullshit: it destroyed the Designated Driver scheme.
You can get your provisional license at 17, which allows you to drive with someone who has passed their test more than three years earlier and is over 21. You can take your theory test, which I'm told now includes hazard perception, then if you pass that you can book your driving test. Pass your driving test and you have a full license. If you take your test in an automatic you don't get a full license though, only a license to drive automatics.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard