Airwolf
Latter Alcoholic
+287|6729|Scotland
Paycheck is coming in on the 31st. New monitor time, can't be bothered with this crappy CRT anymore. Takes up way too much room.

Anyways, I'm looking for a nice 22" at around the £200 mark.

I have my eyes on this: here

or this: here

decisions....
topthrill05
+125|6587|Rochester NY USA
I happen to own the 19 inch Samsung model that you showed, its awesome, great picture and very bright.

You won't regret it.
Marlboroman82
Personal philosophy: Clothing optional.
+1,022|6632|Camp XRay

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/prod … u=320-6252

I just bought one of these for office. I don't know whether they would be available where you live but they are nice. The samsungs are supposed to be really nice monitors though.
https://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l250/marlboroman82/Untitled-8.png
ELITE-UK
Scratching my back
+170|6483|SHEFFIELD, ENGLAND
Get the Samsung SM226BW 22" Widescreen one, ive got the 20' one and its fricken sweet.
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6503|N. Ireland
Main issue with the DELL is that it is 16.2M colors instead of 16.7M - but I doubt it'd be too bad - I think they look far nicer than the Samsungs. One thing to note about the 226BW is which model / screen. The safer, uglier-looking choice is the Pebble.
bob-brainiac
+6|6721|belgium
i have got that 22 inch samsung it is the best i ever had.
your choice is made take the 22 inch.
[TUF]Whiskey_Oktober
mmmm...Toasty!
+91|6731|Oregon
i have the dell, and it looks good, though nothing can beat my 19" samsung on picture quality...its the sharpest, clearest, best-color-est monitor ive ever seen.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6547|Long Island, New York
I have the 226BW. I fucking love it. I HIGHLY reccomend it.
pers0nah
Waste Kid
+271|6591|MANCHESTERRR
i just got the HP w2207h

it rocks so hard.
White-Fusion
Fuck
+616|6561|Scotland

Poseidon wrote:

I have the 226BW. I fucking love it. I HIGHLY reccomend it.
Noobeater
Northern numpty
+194|6456|Boulder, CO
I just bought that samsung pebble, and i have to say that other guy several posts above me who also has it is true.

p.s. it looks sexy.
ig
This topic seems to have no actual posts
+1,199|6531
don't get a 22" widescreen. 20" 4:3 is so much better. if you don't believe me, go to a store and see for yourself.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6591|SE London

Marlboroman82 wrote:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Displays/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-6252

I just bought one of these for office. I don't know whether they would be available where you live but they are nice. The samsungs are supposed to be really nice monitors though.
You bought the SP2208WFP?

Yuck. Filthy, dirty colour reproduction.

A good rule of thumb when buying monitors is to NOT buy the ones with 2ms response times.

Do get widescreen, they look better, are better for doing everything and you get more screen for your money.

22" is a poor size to get. 20" or 24" are the best bets - lower pizels sizes.
Airwolf
Latter Alcoholic
+287|6729|Scotland

Bertster7 wrote:

Marlboroman82 wrote:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Displays/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-6252

A good rule of thumb when buying monitors is to NOT buy the ones with 2ms response times.

Do get widescreen, they look better, are better for doing everything and you get more screen for your money.

recommend a good 24" for ~£200? thanks
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6591|SE London

Airwolf wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Marlboroman82 wrote:

recommend a good 24" for ~£200? thanks
For £200, I would find it very hard.

For double that you can get a nice Dell Ultrasharp 2407WFP-HC, lovely monitor. Can't go far wrong with any of the ultrasharp Dells, just don't get the shoddy truecolor ones.

Although, when it comes to monitors, you have to take what I say with a pinch of salt - it's all true, but I do tend to be a bit elitist about colour reproduction - it took a long time to get me away from CRTs, where the colours are still way, way nicer.

For what it sounds like your looking for I think your best bet would probably be the Iiyama Prolite E2201W-B or a Syncmaster 206BW. I'm just a bit fussy....

Last edited by Bertster7 (2007-12-27 17:37:22)

Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6480
I bought the 22" Pebble a few hours ago, so funny that you create this thread .

It should arrive here tomorrow, along with my new Creative! Fatality Gamer sound-card, and the Logitech G51 5.1 Surround Set that I'm testing.

I'll let you know how it goes; but I do know already from research that the best 22 inch monitors out right now are the Samsung Pebble and the rival HP product. All the rest don't compare .

Edit: And why is 2ms response time bad? Proof or source? I've spoken to a lot of hardware guru's these past few weeks, and anything < 5ms is completely negligible. Filthy colour reproduction? Do you know what you're talking about? LCD's aren't a far distance away from CRT's in terms of quality anymore... definitely not the point where you can actually complain and say that a modern LCD has a "filthy" quality. The only complaint you are really entitled to when it comes to CRT's vs. LCD's is that the panels are awful in comparison. Viewing angles are limited, that's all.

I'm also not sure why "22 inch widescreen is a bad monitor to get". There are a lot of 22 inch models around - from every manufacturer in the industry- and almost all modern games support the aspect ratio and resolution-scaling. If they don't, then software alternatives and remedies exist. I can't really see where there is an argument against 22 inch monitors... there is an absolutely huge market for them, and that market didn't build itself on a faulty and poor-quality product.

Last edited by Uzique (2007-12-27 17:53:07)

libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Airwolf
Latter Alcoholic
+287|6729|Scotland

Uzique wrote:

I'll let you know how it goes; but I do know already from research that the best 22 inch monitors out right now are the Samsung Pebble and the rival HP product. All the rest don't compare .
nice one man, keep me posted when you get it!

(lucky bastard, my paycheck seems ages away )
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6591|SE London

Uzique wrote:

I bought the 22" Pebble a few hours ago, so funny that you create this thread .

It should arrive here tomorrow, along with my new Creative! Fatality Champion sound-card, and the Logitech G51 5.1 Surround Set that I'm testing.

Don't get the G51 speakers, get these, only marginally more expensive (£15 more on eBuyer), ones.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/94478
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6480
Thanks for the recommendation on the speakers Bert, but I've already made my order and it was dispatched several hours ago . There are better alternatives I know, but everyone has to budget, haha! Also, the thing that really attracted me to the G51's was the praising reviews and the desktop module. Having a headphone/microphone jack on your desktop is a Godsend if you don't have your tower out and exposed. The Creative cards are a pain in the ass when it comes to using non-USB headsets, as they don't support front-panel / Intel HD connectors... have to do all sorts of custom modding and DIY'ing in order to get them to work.

Also, I don't really have any need for a 'home cinema' system. The desktop and remote control are a bit over the top for my modest needs. The only audio device I'll be running through the surround sound is the PC itself-- no consoles, no TV, no hi-fi system etc. Just PC games and mp3's.

I'm satisfied with the reviews and the technical specs on the G51's anyway. I'll be using them in a very small space, so they'll be able to give me the quality and quantity of sound that I need. I'm no audiophile, so they'll do .

/ontopic.

I edited in my previous message about the monitors. I want to know why certain people contest that 22 inch monitors are such a bad choice in terms of practicability and image quality. All CRT vs. LCD discussion aside, I want somebody to really convince me that the quality on these well-reviewed products is so bad. Because, I don't believe it .

Last edited by Uzique (2007-12-27 17:59:32)

libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
ReDevilJR
+106|6360
Second one, I love it, no regrets.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6480
The Pebble came today, and it is a fantastic looking monitor. Picture is brilliant, and the overall size and scaling is very impressive.

I have one 'stuck' blue pixel, near my taskbar, and that's an annoyance. Trying to fix it myself currently, but I may have to RMA the thing. So annoying to go through the entire process of sending a 22 inch monitor back because one minuscule pixel decided to bunk it :@
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6819|Nårvei

Uzique wrote:

The Pebble came today, and it is a fantastic looking monitor. Picture is brilliant, and the overall size and scaling is very impressive.

I have one 'stuck' blue pixel, near my taskbar, and that's an annoyance. Trying to fix it myself currently, but I may have to RMA the thing. So annoying to go through the entire process of sending a 22 inch monitor back because one minuscule pixel decided to bunk it :@
Seem to remember from somewhere that a light massage could bring it back to life ...
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6480
Have tried light massaging at the moment, doesn't seem to be producing many results. In fact, heavy 'massaging' doesn't do it a lot of good either .

I have a software program called UndeadPixel at the moment, which basically flashes all the 3 primary transistor colors over a very small area of pixels about 30 times a second. I'll leave it running for a few hours and see if it brings the old 'stuck pixel' to life. I'm pretty sure that it is just a stuck pixel anyway, as apparently 'dead' pixels cannot have a color. This stuck pixel only shows up as a blue dot on a black / gray screen. It could be a lot worse, but still... one of those niggling annoyances .
Airwolf
Latter Alcoholic
+287|6729|Scotland

Uzique wrote:

Have tried light massaging at the moment, doesn't seem to be producing many results. In fact, heavy 'massaging' doesn't do it a lot of good either .

I have a software program called UndeadPixel at the moment, which basically flashes all the 3 primary transistor colors over a very small area of pixels about 30 times a second. I'll leave it running for a few hours and see if it brings the old 'stuck pixel' to life. I'm pretty sure that it is just a stuck pixel anyway, as apparently 'dead' pixels cannot have a color. This stuck pixel only shows up as a blue dot on a black / gray screen. It could be a lot worse, but still... one of those niggling annoyances .
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6480
After a few hours of using the monitor, I am blown away. The stuck pixel barely even distracts or bothers me anymore. It only shows up as a small blue speck when the monitor is displaying blue/black backgrounds, and it is located 'beneath' the Vista transparent taskbar also. I literally only ever see this speck on full-screen applications/movies with pitch black backgrounds. And, even then, it is barely visible from more than a foot away.

The picture clarity is brilliant, and the included driver software helped me to adjust the brightness/glare so that my fragile 19-inch reliant eyes weren't burnt out. I had a headache for the first hour, but this was probably caused by the new Creative! Fatality Champion card with the 5.1 surround sound system. All in all, I have a new desk, a new sound-card, a new audio set-up, and one beastly monitor. Heavenly! I highly recommend this monitor to anyone looking for one of the best all-round 22" monitors. The only screen I have seen in shops that comes close to comparing is the HP equivalent- but the Pebble's modern-curved & glossy aesthetic trumps it! This screen looks brilliant in any room; at the moment I am using it on a pine Ikea desk with all black hardware, and it looks absolutely fantastic.

If you hear anyone saying that the resolutions or aspect ratios are barely supported- take it with a pinch of salt. Just from my experiences, I've played almost every game I own (check my Xfire profile for reference) and the resolution is supported in all games, perfectly. 2 years ago when the main LCD categories were 19", 20" and then 24", maybe then the support was minimal and the resolution poor. However, now, I believe you could term the 1600x1020 resolution as 'ubiquitous'. I haven't found anything that DOESN'T support it. That's my 2 cents on that issue.

Also, I have read some negative reviews where people say the build quality is cheap, and the stand is hard to set-up. I have no idea what these people were talking about - honestly - it took me 2 minutes to pressure the 'ball hinge' stand into the monitor, and the whole glossy black finish looks absolutely marvelous. Rest assured, the build quality is not tacky either, the monitor is simply lightweight and simplistic in design. There's a big difference between cutting corners production-wise, and making something that is minimalistic and effective.

Get it!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard