konfusion
mostly afk
+480|6541|CH/BR - in UK

I'm sorry if this has been posted before. I took the general advice on these forums, and from my family, and broke up with my girlfriend. I know it was the right choice for the longterm, but I love this girl, and I'm suffering from severe depression. As long as I'm around my friends, I'm ok. I can survive, they're great, and I love them all for being so nice to me. But as soon as I get home from school, all I do is watch movies or sleep. As soon as I don't have a distraction, I become so depressed that my mind switches to suicidal mode. I don't trust myself to take the tube anymore because of the thoughts that keep flashing through my brain.
My family can't help, because I'm so distant from them. My dad loves me, and I love him, but talking to him about problems has never been something I could do. It only makes me feel uncomfortable. I know he tries to be there for me, but he really can't help. My little brother... well, he's my little brother. I love him too much to let him see me weak. I've always been his role model, and he looks up to me, and I can't break that image for him - he already went through enough when our parents divorced. My mom, she's nice and all, but she can't comfort me that much.

For everything, I have my friends. My problem is this: I'm going to Switzerland to visit my mother. For two weeks, I will be alone without friends, and I don't want to ruin everyone's Christmas and holidays. I need to find a way to cope with this, because so far the only way I have is by being passive. I'm disgusted by my thoughts, and I'm sick of being depressed.

Can anyone tell me how they deal with their depressions? I really need to come up with something, because the way I have been going has been really destructive to me, since I've come to sleeping 14 hours a day or more, and watching movies for about 4 of them, and not studying at all for school.

I need help

-konfusion
NeXuS
Shock it till ya know it
+375|6333|Atlanta, Georgia
I try to deal with things by keeping my mind of the things that depress me "at all costs".
Buy a new game?
Get a hobby? exp... Guitar?
Or hell talk to the girl again. Try to get her back.

Last edited by NeXuS4909 (2007-12-19 17:07:51)

pers0nah
Waste Kid
+271|6573|MANCHESTERRR
through bettering myself. Exercise, working out etc.

Focusing all your efforts into one task, works for me as well.
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6646

All I can say is that you'll eventually get over it. Sure you miss her a lot now, but after a week or so, you should start feeling better. We all have ups and downs, you just have to ride them out and you'll get out of it eventually.
BLACKHAWK2424
+2|6100|CA,USA
Suicidal is the last thing you want to think about, keep your mind away from that at all times. What i usually do is talk to my closest friends play BF2 or build a model or something that i like doing and i dont care what other people think about it. In your cituation i think its best for you to talk to your friends about it because im suffering deppresion too, and this is what i usually do to calm myself down, so i say talk to a couple of friends see what they say but keep your mind off of this, In best regards Nick-BH2424
konfusion
mostly afk
+480|6541|CH/BR - in UK

mtb0minime wrote:

All I can say is that you'll eventually get over it. Sure you miss her a lot now, but after a week or so, you should start feeling better. We all have ups and downs, you just have to ride them out and you'll get out of it eventually.
It's already been over 2 weeks of me sleeping to escape.
I play piano, but since I used to play my songs for her, it hurts to do that now. I'll try working out... I have removed everything that could possibly remind me of her from my room, but I keep running across books that mention Sweden, or bands from Gothenburg, and I start thinking about her again.

Right now, going for her again is not an option. She wouldn't even talk to me... And the thing with this is that she agreed to breaking up...

I'll try to get my cousin to help me through while I'm in Switzerland... Thanks.

-konfusion
David.P
Banned
+649|6265
1. Sign up for an internet forum.
2. Find people who disagree with you.
3. Take every chance you can get to flame them and their belief's.
4. ???????
5. Profit

EDIT:

6. Post on another internet forum asking the question "how to deal with depression?"

Last edited by David.P (2007-12-19 17:18:15)

mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6646

Just keep finding distractions. I royally fucked up this last semester at college, and my life has no direction whatsoever, I don't even know what I want to do with myself. But right now I'm just installing everything on my new computer and gonna play some games, and I'm listening to music, and it seems to be working.

Just keep finding new things to do, anything to keep your mind off her. And if she does happen to pop into your mind, just don't worry about it and let the thought pass, and continue on with whatever it was you were doing.

Good luck and I hope things work out.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6749|Argentina
Some guys get laid with the first woman they can to forget.  Others don't want to be with other women.  Some take pills.  My advice is do whatever you like in life and try not to think of her, at least for a while.  Then, time cures these things.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

From psychology, the best way to get depression under control is to keep yourself occupied and have people to talk to, so long as you don't cling too hard to either.

If you're really depressed, then, in the slightly modified words of George Carlin, 'don't subscribe to self help, because you're going to be helped by an asshole.'

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2007-12-19 17:19:44)

pers0nah
Waste Kid
+271|6573|MANCHESTERRR

mtb0minime wrote:

Just keep finding distractions. I royally fucked up this last semester at college, and my life has no direction whatsoever, I don't even know what I want to do with myself. But right now I'm just installing everything on my new computer and gonna play some games, and I'm listening to music, and it seems to be working.

Just keep finding new things to do, anything to keep your mind off her. And if she does happen to pop into your mind, just don't worry about it and let the thought pass, and continue on with whatever it was you were doing.

Good luck and I hope things work out.
I couldnt do that. Id be studying and doing everything in my power to get my life on track. You only live once mate, make the most of it.
m8v2
Banned
+16|6286
Having gone through clinical depression the best advice to tell you would be not to try to escape or run from your problems face them. Talk to the people in your life that you love and love you and you'll get better advice then you'll find on bf2s. Suicide should never be a option. If you do it then thats it your gone. If you fail your life will be 100% different from that point on. Trust me I know through first hand experience. If you are at a point where you want to kill yourself and thought it out seek help ASAP.
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6646

pers0nah wrote:

I couldnt do that. Id be studying and doing everything in my power to get my life on track. You only live once mate, make the most of it.
That's the problem. I know I only live once, so I have no motivation to do anything I don't want to do. I'm perfectly content with my life and I have no regrets. If I were to drop dead right now, I'd die a content person.

I wish I had some sort of motivation to do anything. It's been like this ever since I can remember, I just don't care about anything
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

^
^
And if you're thinking about suicide, get the hell off this forum and seek professional counseling. Their job is to find ways to keep you so distracted that you stay alive.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2007-12-19 17:23:44)

TSI
Cholera in the time of love
+247|5972|Toronto
Dude, YOU ARE NOT A FAILURE. AND YOU WILL NOT BE SUICIDAL. sorry for the bluntness. But it has to be done. Is your life more important, interesting, worth living for than the girl? If the answer is yes (it is), then think about this: what are you looking forward to? Traveling? Visiting people? Playing games? There are many things you live for; live them to the fullest possible, and keep this in mind: "life has this neat tendency to move on, no matter what happens."
And besides, we're all here to help you. We care. We support a distressed brother. But you need to find yourself again; you need to figure out what you want, and set about doing it.
So good luck, and keep on pwning.
I like pie.
konfusion
mostly afk
+480|6541|CH/BR - in UK

m8v2 wrote:

Having gone through clinical depression the best advice to tell you would be not to try to escape or run from your problems face them. Talk to the people in your life that you love and love you and you'll get better advice then you'll find on bf2s. Suicide should never be a option. If you do it then thats it your gone. If you fail your life will be 100% different from that point on. Trust me I know through first hand experience. If you are at a point where you want to kill yourself and thought it out seek help ASAP.
Thing is I once made a suicide attempt at 13. I know it was stupid. I know it's wrong. I know I don't want to do it. But I've had like 3 emotional breakdowns in the last month, and during those breakdowns, I can't control my thoughts, I just want it to end : /
My loved ones are my friends. The problem is that I'm going to be stuck with my mother - someone whom I do not trust - and a part of the family I don't see very often. I've been holding on by talking to friends, and inviting one to stay over three times in one week. I've been around them as often as possible. I'm just worried that I'll lose my grip over the next two weeks. The only person whom I wholly trust is my cousin, but I don't want to drown her in my depression...

The fact that I am seeking help on a forum just shows my degree of desperation... I've been going through this every day for over two weeks, and it's becoming harder and harder to distract myself.

I'm really glad about the mature answers in this thread, thanks.

-konfusion
David.P
Banned
+649|6265
Quick become an hero!
Hurricane
Banned
+1,153|6622|Washington, DC

Ask yourself: Is this you? Are you really a sorry person who is always sad? Is that the real you? Or deep down do you know that you are stronger than this?

I went through something similar. Parents split up, I tried to keep in my emotions so I'd seem strong for my little sister, and eventually that just bottles up too much inside of you and you get depressed. I was never suicidal, but boy did I see everything in a depressive manner.

School ended, and I was just chilling at the computer. I thought to myself what I said you must ask yourself. I realized taht I'm not some depressed angsty guy; life goes on, and I gotta go on with it. I have to make the most with what I've got, and try to get what I want, but in the mean time be happy with myself. Don't get me wrong, I'm still pissed off from time to time and sad from time to time, but I don't let it take control of me.

Just judging from your post you seem like a real cool dude who's just having a tough time. Stay strong, realize that you weren't ALWAYS this way and that you really are a happy person.

Never contemplate suicide. You'll be hurting so many people if you do it, and get this: there's no undo button for it. Tomorrow could always be better, so why not take the chance at waiting to see? One in a depressed state might see it as a never ending cycle of waiting for things to improve, but that's the thing. You can't just wait - YOU have to improve yourself by realizing you are above your depressive emotions. Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

If you ever need to just chat, PM me man. If you wanna vent, or talk, whatever. I know how you feel.
Noobpatty
ʎʇʇɐdqoou
+194|6345|West NY
Get some sun, talk to people that care about your problems, stay in shape, eat well, get good sleep, and if it's her, talk to her.
cowami
OY, BITCHTITS!
+1,106|6281|Noo Yawk, Noo Yawk

David.P wrote:

Quick become an hero!
shuddup foo

You clearly aren't helping. I'm not going to try and give more advice other than to try not to think about it. Don't think that'll help much, though, sorry.
https://i.imgur.com/PfIpcdn.gif
m8v2
Banned
+16|6286

konfusion wrote:

m8v2 wrote:

Thing is I once made a suicide attempt at 13. I know it was stupid. I know it's wrong. I know I don't want to do it. But I've had like 3 emotional breakdowns in the last month, and during those breakdowns, I can't control my thoughts, I just want it to end : /
My loved ones are my friends. The problem is that I'm going to be stuck with my mother - someone whom I do not trust - and a part of the family I don't see very often. I've been holding on by talking to friends, and inviting one to stay over three times in one week. I've been around them as often as possible. I'm just worried that I'll lose my grip over the next two weeks. The only person whom I wholly trust is my cousin, but I don't want to drown her in my depression...

The fact that I am seeking help on a forum just shows my degree of desperation... I've been going through this every day for over two weeks, and it's becoming harder and harder to distract myself.

I'm really glad about the mature answers in this thread, thanks.

-konfusion
I don't remember  the exact number ( correct me if I'm wrong) but people that have attempted suicide are like 70 times more likely to actually commit suicide.

She's your mother she'll still have emotional ties to you like every other mother or parent does. 2 weeks isn't too long, if you feel like your done with it all find professional help. Sorry if I sound like a broken record but thats probably the best choice for you.
trippy982
+34|6389
Go find God.
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6436|The Land of Scott Walker
Sorry to hear you’re going through a tough time, konfusion.  What you're going through sounds very similar to when my girl and I broke up after high school.  I also play piano and playing the music really helped me work through my emotions.  Stay around friends or family that you trust and if your cousin is the one you trust, talk to her.  Ask her to help you stay occupied with things you enjoy (like music).  With time you’ll be ok, time really is the best healer and the pain does fade eventually.  We’re pulling for you man and you’re in my prayers.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6097|eXtreme to the maX
Most people get depressed at some point in their lives. Time is the healer.
In the meantime:-
Try to find some distractions, as you've noticed it helps stop your mind turning things over. If you can't it may help to write stuff down rather than keep churning.
Its better to be amongst people than alone, can you go to a cinema instead of watching films by yourself?
Just getting out and about keeps you busy, activity promotes endorphins which help you feel better, sunlight lifts mood.
Don't drink alcohol - its a net depressant.
If it get really bad seek help.

Remember - If you're depressed your brain is not firing on all cylinders  - Its not a good time to take any big decisions.
Good luck, and hope it works out.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Nordemus
BC2 plat: CG, GL, M60, Mortar, Knife
+60|5989
Try to forget about her, I know its hard, but its a must unless you want to be depressed all the time like some lame EMO.
Hang out with your buddies, dont drink alcohol much, but have a beer, but dont get drunk, talk with people, play some games (Cards,bowling, you know). Go around the city, buy some presents. Go to cinema, watch some nice film, listen to some music you like, hang out with your dog if you have one.

Just something I thought of.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard