Poll

Is changing the "User Settings" in BF2 cheating ?

Yes10%10% - 16
No89%89% - 140
Total: 156
[Fin]Dami3n
something else
+53|6239|Finland

kajukenbo_kid wrote:

Fredrik wrote:

kajukenbo_kid wrote:

99% of the time i regged perfectly with these, but i still got the occasional heavy dusting on peoples head(typically this only happened when people were pinging 100+)... the chopper hitboxes were A LOT closer than what they would normally be too

rem
rem Settingsfile automatically saved by bf2
rem
SettingsManager.boolSet GSClPunkBuster 1
SettingsManager.floatSet GSDefaultLatencyCompensation 0.075000
SettingsManager.boolSet GSExtrapolateFrame 0
SettingsManager.U32Set GSExtrapolationTime 12

SettingsManager.U32Set GSInterpolationTime 1
SettingsManager.U32Set GSPerfLogAtPlayerCount 30
SettingsManager.stringSet GSPlayerName "kajuk3nbo"
SettingsManager.boolSet GSShowNetGraph 0
SettingsManager.boolSet GSUseObjectCache 1
To get extrapolationtime to work you have to set GSExtrapolateFrame to 1, but i wouldnt recommend doing that if this works for you, besides 12 is a bit low?
i did research along with testing, and extrapolateframe was something like a lag setting for people with really nice computers.  i did this all a while ago, but 90% of the people who have tweaked settings would throw in random numbers and if they played well, they assumed it worked.  which is why a lot of people think this is all placebo.  what i found was, interp was the biggest factor(same goes for the majority of games with hitboxes),  interpolation is basically the time in milliseconds(i think, pretty sure it was milliseconds) you receive an update. so in theory, the smaller the gap between updates, the closer the hitbox will be to the player model.  in cs they have restricted settings that actually change the location of the hitbox, making you harder to hit.  another factor, (which is a pretty big one) is your internet.  for registration purposes, you would actually be better off playing on a dsl connection, rather than cable(assuming you could ping decent to the server you are on) because cable loses more packets than dsl, and the more packets lost, the less info the server has about where everyone is located.

its things like this that have made bf2 bad, there were a handful of players i know of, that without "good usersettings" would not play as well.  which is why i actually stopped using these settings, and gave them to anyone who wanted them.  i only used them if i was going to play against people who i knew had tweaked shit... thats why cod4 owns, you CAN tweak your config to register a little better, but even on stock settings you will hit fine.  but none of this info is useful for cod, because cod4 has no hitboxes.
i guess i have to +1 you
kajukenbo_kid
+36|6433|...
lol ^.^ to answer the thread question tho... its a delicate subject, i define cheating as having an unfair advantage over your opponent.  which user settings clearly provide, but everyone has the ability to do this.  the majority just dont know how. the only way to put it to rest is; make modding it illegal or have a read me or something about how to tweak them...lol
[Fin]Dami3n
something else
+53|6239|Finland

kajukenbo_kid wrote:

lol ^.^ to answer the thread question tho... its a delicate subject, i define cheating as having an unfair advantage over your opponent.  which user settings clearly provide, but everyone has the ability to do this.  the majority just dont know how. the only way to put it to rest is; make modding it illegal or have a read me or something about how to tweak them...lol
Or use forums and brains ?
Cyrax-Sektor
Official Battlefield fanboy
+240|6166|San Antonio, Texas

Wallpaper wrote:

Cyrax-Sektor wrote:

So that explains why people are not affected by my flash bangs! D:<
The disabling of the blur effect doesnt make flashbangs useless. You cant change that without a hack of some kind. All it does is makes nades not screw your vision up, or for people with shitty rigs, less lag

<------
Hacking ******s

Knew flashbanging an assualt guy in the face at Submarine Pen 2 would leave him blinded. I rush in and he sees me and performs a headshot!
Drexel
+43|6494|Philadelphia

Wallpaper wrote:

Cyrax-Sektor wrote:

All it does is makes nades not screw your vision up, or for people with shitty rigs, less lag
And this isn't cheating how?
Fredrik
i hate you all
+201|6666|Norway

kajukenbo_kid wrote:

i did research along with testing, and extrapolateframe was something like a lag setting for people with really nice computers.  i did this all a while ago, but 90% of the people who have tweaked settings would throw in random numbers and if they played well, they assumed it worked.  which is why a lot of people think this is all placebo.  what i found was, interp was the biggest factor(same goes for the majority of games with hitboxes),  interpolation is basically the time in milliseconds(i think, pretty sure it was milliseconds) you receive an update. so in theory, the smaller the gap between updates, the closer the hitbox will be to the player model.  in cs they have restricted settings that actually change the location of the hitbox, making you harder to hit.  another factor, (which is a pretty big one) is your internet.  for registration purposes, you would actually be better off playing on a dsl connection, rather than cable(assuming you could ping decent to the server you are on) because cable loses more packets than dsl, and the more packets lost, the less info the server has about where everyone is located.

its things like this that have made bf2 bad, there were a handful of players i know of, that without "good usersettings" would not play as well.  which is why i actually stopped using these settings, and gave them to anyone who wanted them.  i only used them if i was going to play against people who i knew had tweaked shit... thats why cod4 owns, you CAN tweak your config to register a little better, but even on stock settings you will hit fine.  but none of this info is useful for cod, because cod4 has no hitboxes.
No the setting for how often you receive an update from the server is this line here:
GSPerfLogAtPlayerCount
That's the number of updates per sec. Setting it low is a good idea for reducing lag if you have a bad computer, if you have a good computer you can set it really high, but it also may cause the server to lag.

Anyway, what i meant, and also why i highlighted those two lines in your post was this:

SettingsManager.boolSet GSExtrapolateFrame
you can either set it to 0 or 1, thats on and off btw. Set it to 1 and you will activate extrapolationframe:
SettingsManager.U32Set GSExtrapolationTime
You have this line on 12, where default is 1200, but it wont matter what you put there, because you have GSExtrapolateFrame set to 0 which is default, so extrapolation is disabled in your settings. Understand better now?

Last edited by Fredrik (2007-12-20 08:29:17)

Wallpaper
+303|6011|The pool

Drexel wrote:

Wallpaper wrote:

Cyrax-Sektor wrote:

All it does is makes nades not screw your vision up, or for people with shitty rigs, less lag
Unless your aim REALLY blows, it shouldnt effect you much at all.
Cyrax-Sektor

Wallpaper wrote:

Drexel wrote:

Wallpaper wrote:

Unless your aim REALLY blows, it shouldnt effect you much at all.
But still, flashbangs' effects can't be disabled, so hacks!

But I disabled the tinnitu effect due to lag reasons. On another comp I play BF2, I have tinnitus enabled for the novelty. The ringing in the ears is pretty cool.

Since I have TuneXP now, I could re-activate tinnitus for this ASUS one.
MrHash
+3|6151|Washington State
I agree with the fact that if you go in game with better benefits or vision that DEFAULT (except Distance) it's not fair to the other gamers online trying to KILL YOU!  it's not very skilled to be able to avoid flash bangs.....considering I'm workin on my EXPERT support now I DISAGREE 100% with altering your settings due to lag..... My opinion get a friggen better vid card homie or go smaller pix. LATA HATA
Hakei
Banned
+295|6013
Everyone can change their settings if they want, unlike everyone can just get an aimbot.

Is it also bad if someone has a higher sens. than you? Would that be classed as unfair if he can turn quicker than the default setting?

And working on expert support would change your opinion on altering your settings for lag... how?
Wallpaper
+303|6011|The pool

MrHash wrote:

I agree with the fact that if you go in game with better benefits or vision that DEFAULT (except Distance) it's not fair to the other gamers online trying to KILL YOU!  it's not very skilled to be able to avoid flash bangs.....considering I'm workin on my EXPERT support now I DISAGREE 100% with altering your settings due to lag..... My opinion get a friggen better vid card homie or go smaller pix. LATA HATA
1.) Nothing other than hacks make flashbangs not effect you. Thats already been said.

2.) Not all of us have cash coming out of our pores, or, have laptops, making upgrading not an option.

3.) Like Hakei said, how does working for expert support change your view?
iMPaCT.uK
+72|6514|UK , Birmingham
My usercons

rem
rem
SettingsManager.floatSet GSDefaultLatencyCompensation 0.025000
SettingsManager.U32Set GSExtrapolationTime 100
SettingsManager.U32Set GSInterpolationTime 100
SettingsManager.stringSet GSPlayerName "imm0rtal.iMPaCtje-"

4thereg
Hakei
Banned
+295|6013
Anyone have an idea what ShowNetGraph is? :s
Wallpaper
+303|6011|The pool
Im guessing its a realtime text overlay thing for your internet, eg, shows your ping, choke, loss. Kinda like in CSS? Ive never tried it.

EDIT: Nevermind, doesnt seem to do anything

Last edited by Wallpaper (2007-12-21 14:10:33)

suomalainen_äijä
+64|6183

Emil wrote:

Who was the 4 guys voting yes?
lol there's no 12

and no
Cyrax-Sektor

iMPaCT.uK wrote:

My usercons

rem
rem
SettingsManager.floatSet GSDefaultLatencyCompensation 0.025000
SettingsManager.U32Set GSExtrapolationTime 100
SettingsManager.U32Set GSInterpolationTime 100
SettingsManager.stringSet GSPlayerName "imm0rtal.iMPaCtje-"

4thereg
Thanks for the share, chief. Helped me loads! Just changed my '... GSExtrapolationTime' and '... GSInterpolationTime' to 100 like iMPaCT.uK.

My usercons:

rem
rem
SettingsManager.floatSet GSDefaultLatencyCompensation 0.070000 (matches in-game ping)
SettingsManager.U32Set GSExtrapolationTime 100 (previously 1200)
SettingsManager.U32Set GSInterpolationTime 100 (previously 400)
SettingsManager.stringSet GSPlayerName "[BF2s] Cyrax-Sektor"

ALSO if you have Special Forces, you'll have to change the usersettings.con there too! Applies to mods as well.

Last edited by Cyrax-Sektor (2007-12-21 14:34:16)

Graphic-J
The Artist formerly known as GraphicArtist-J
+196|6144|So Cal
I used to think so, but now I take off the shadows so I can go rampant in Sharqi. Especially at Construction and dark areas. I get higher FPS, so that's a good thing. So no, I don't think it's cheating, unless you TWEAK or HACK the original files.

Last edited by GraphicArtist J (2007-12-21 14:36:12)

https://i44.tinypic.com/28vg66s.jpg

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard