Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6622|132 and Bush

Best Meteor Shower of 2007 Peaks Dec. 13
https://i3.tinypic.com/81sr24i.gif
The Geminids are a meteor shower caused by an object named 3200 Phaethon, which is thought to be an extinct comet. The meteors from this shower can be seen in mid-December and usually peak around 12-14 of the month. The Geminid shower is thought to be intensifying every year and recent showers have seen 120-160 meteors per hour under optimal conditions. The Geminids were first observed only 150 years ago, much more recently than other showers such as the Perseids and Leonids.

The Geminid Meteors are usually the most satisfying of all the annual showers, even surpassing the famous Perseids of August.

Studies of past find the "Gems" have a reputation for being rich both in slow, bright, graceful meteors and fireballs as well as faint meteors, with relatively fewer objects of medium brightness.

They are of medium speed, encountering Earth at 22 miles per second (35 kps). They are bright and white, but unlike the Perseids, they leave few visible trails or streaks.

They are four times denser than most other meteors, and have been observed to form jagged or divided paths.

Geminids also stand apart from the other meteor showers in that they seem to have been spawned not by a comet, but by 3200 Phaethon, an Earth-crossing asteroid.

Then again, the Geminids may be comet debris after all, for some astronomers consider Phaethon to really be the dead nucleus of a burned-out comet that somehow got trapped into an unusually tight orbit.

Interestingly, on Dec. 10, Phaethon will be passing about 11 million miles (18 million kilometers) from Earth, its closest approach since its discovery in 1983.

The Geminids perform excellently in any year, but British meteor astronomer, Alastair McBeath, has categorized 2007 as a "great year."

This meteor shower gets the name "Geminids" because it appears to radiate from the constellation Gemini. An observer in the Northern Hemisphere can start seeing Geminid meteors as early as December 6, when one meteor every hour or so could be visible. During the next week, rates increase until a peak of 50-80 meteors per hour is attained on the night of December 13/14. The last Geminids are seen on December 18, when an observer might see a rate of one every hour or so.

For observers in the Southern Hemisphere, the Geminid radiant never climbs far above the horizon, and this considerably reduces the number of Geminid meteors you are likely to see. Nevertheless, on the night of maximum, it is possible to see 20 meteors per hour coming up from the northern horizon.

There are other, weaker meteor showers going on around the same time as the Geminids, but the best way to know if the meteor you see is a Geminid is to mentally trace the meteor backwards. If you end up at Gemini then you have probably seen a Geminid meteor! If you are not sure where Gemini is in the sky, the following chart will help you find it from both the Northern Hemisphere and Southern Hemisphere.

https://i6.tinypic.com/6l0hh5e.jpg
This represents the view from mid-northern latitudes at about 9:00 p.m. local time around
December 13. The graphic does not represent the view at the time of maximum, but is simply
meant to help prospective observers to find the radiant location. The red line across the bottom
of the image represents the horizon.

Top 10 tips for 2007 Geminid meteor shower

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,316393,00.html
http://www.astronomy.com/asy/default.as … mp;id=6374
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Acrnstlkr
+11|6018|Iowa, USA
just watched about this on news tobad its cloudy here
ig
This topic seems to have no actual posts
+1,199|6544
so it could be anytime tonight?

Last edited by ig (2007-12-12 18:43:51)

Acrnstlkr
+11|6018|Iowa, USA

ig wrote:

so it could be anytime tonight? i think it's pretty cloudy right now.
i think it has been going on for some time just the best tonight
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6622|132 and Bush

ig wrote:

so it could be anytime tonight? i think it's pretty cloudy right now.
The peak is tonight through this weekend.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Mr.Dooomed
Find your center.
+752|6349

It said the peak was the 13th, todays the 12...AM I LIVING IN THE PAST!?!1
Nature is a powerful force. Those who seek to subdue nature, never do so permanently.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6622|132 and Bush

Im_Dooomed wrote:

The morning of the 13th.. as in two hours EST.

https://i15.tinypic.com/6p06vfb.jpg

^^Ah --> Yea

I live in a new neighborhood on a conservation lot. My backyard is completely dark.. I'll just have to battle the mosquitoes .
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Acrnstlkr
+11|6018|Iowa, USA

Im_Dooomed wrote:

the news said tonight?
Freke1
I play at night... mostly
+47|6569|the best galaxy
Thx for posting
https://bf3s.com/sigs/7d11696e2ffd4edeff06466095e98b0fab37462c.png
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6622|132 and Bush

Acrnstlkr wrote:

Im_Dooomed wrote:

the news said tonight?
My astronomy.com newsletter did. Both nights should be good. It's supposed to be best anytime mid December, peaking now through this w/e.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Acrnstlkr
+11|6018|Iowa, USA

Kmarion wrote:

Acrnstlkr wrote:

Im_Dooomed wrote:

the news said tonight?
My astronomy.com newsletter did. Both nights should be good. It's supposed to be best anytime mid December, peaking now through this w/e.
sweet. i always enjoy a meteor shower..just climb one of our grain silos. bad part now is the weather. 10 degrees and cloudy. no bugs just ice. good part is i can watch for meteors and coyotes! lol
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6622|132 and Bush

Acrnstlkr wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Acrnstlkr wrote:

the news said tonight?
sweet. i always enjoy a meteor shower..just climb one of our grain silos. bad part now is the weather. 10 degrees and cloudy. no bugs just ice. good part is i can watch for meteors and coyotes! lol
Damn dude feels like 10 degrees.. screw that..lol
http://www.weather.com/outlook/homeandg … omeCommand
Bah.. unlucky my man. That's kinda how I feel when the shuttle goes up and it's cloudy over here... can't see it.

You will have more chances between now and this weekend.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Superslim
BF2s Frat Brother
+211|6713|Calgary
Pop To Ster
Philosiraptor
+45|6554|Edmonds, WA
Knowing that I live in Washington State and the weathe.....must I say any more

Fat chance I'll ever be able to see it
Acrnstlkr
+11|6018|Iowa, USA

Kmarion wrote:

Acrnstlkr wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Bah.. unlucky my man. That's kinda how I feel when the shuttle goes up and it's cloudy over here... can't see it.

na not feels like 10... feels like about -5. wind is out of ne 10. gets cold here dude.. not like sunny florida! lol i guess i like the cold better than the sand!! ya can always ad clothes but when ure naked and its still hot ure fucked.
never seen the shuttle is it loud?

Last edited by Acrnstlkr (2007-12-12 19:09:44)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6622|132 and Bush

Yea go with NASA. They say tomorrow night. I searched the news feeds and the majority of them are saying tomorrow night. I'm sure there will be some tonight as well though.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6622|132 and Bush

Acrnstlkr wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Acrnstlkr wrote:

na not feels like 10... feels like about -5. wind is out of ne 10. gets cold here dude.. not like sunny florida! lol i guess i like the cold better than the sand!! ya can always ad clothes but when ure naked and its still hot ure fucked.
I haven't heard a sonic boom in a while. It depends on the angle it comes in at. We can also see it when it lands (usually).

FL doesn't make much out of winter. http://weathercenter.com/ It was 85 today.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Acrnstlkr
+11|6018|Iowa, USA

Kmarion wrote:

Acrnstlkr wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

I haven't heard a sonic boom in a while. It depends on the angle it comes in at. We can also see it when it lands (usually).

ive only heard a sonic boom once (in the states) when i was about 8 and it was at the thunder chickens air show. now i work on f-16s and they are really loud tho they arnt allowed to boom in the states.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6622|132 and Bush

Acrnstlkr wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Acrnstlkr wrote:

ive only heard a sonic boom once (in the states) when i was about 8 and it was at the thunder chickens air show. now i work on f-16s and they are really loud tho they arnt allowed to boom in the states.
Needless to say this doesn't give it justice (much deeper).. but here ya go. It sounds as if the windows in your house are going to blow out.

Xbone Stormsurgezz
Acrnstlkr
+11|6018|Iowa, USA
ok that was cool. i will have to make it down there somtime. is that all the closer ppl are allowed to get?
the lady in the backround ( ogh my god?) lol
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6622|132 and Bush

Acrnstlkr wrote:

ok that was cool. i will have to make it down there somtime. is that all the closer ppl are allowed to get?
the lady in the backround ( ogh my god?) lol
You can by tickets to the Kennedy Space center and I think they have another observation point. But of course they don't let you get too close.
This was more like it .

Slowing from Mach 24.56.. yea.

They used to issue alerts on the news but I guess they stopped caring..lol.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Acrnstlkr
+11|6018|Iowa, USA

Kmarion wrote:

Acrnstlkr wrote:

ok that was cool. i will have to make it down there sometime. is that all the closer ppl are allowed to get?
the lady in the background ( ogh my god?) lol
You can by tickets to the Kennedy Space center and I think they have another observation point. But of course they don't let you get too close.
This was more like it .

Mach 30.. yea.

well i think i could get allot closer if i talked to the colonel but i guess i would have to be in Florida. i think they probably stopped the news thing for the national security thing.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6622|132 and Bush

Acrnstlkr wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Acrnstlkr wrote:

ok that was cool. i will have to make it down there sometime. is that all the closer ppl are allowed to get?
the lady in the background ( ogh my god?) lol
This was more like it .

Mach 30.. yea.

well i think i could get allot closer if i talked to the colonel but i guess i would have to be in Florida. i think they probably stopped the news thing for the national security thing.
Maybe.. I know they don't even let the press get too close when dealing with shuttle missions. It's probably a combination of security and safety.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Acrnstlkr
+11|6018|Iowa, USA
i suppose so if that flying gas can exploded it would be bad!!!!!!
i was in texas for some af training when the shuttle broke up in the air, i didnt know what it was till the next day. bad deal!!
Acrnstlkr
+11|6018|Iowa, USA

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard