GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6644
weapons are on the planes.  they are not in storage, they are beside us in our seats.  no ammo though.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6291|Éire

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

weapons are on the planes.  they are not in storage, they are beside us in our seats.  no ammo though.
Check out our Taoiseach's idea of an inspection...

M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6224|Escea

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

Is the ammo put in storage? Or does it come back a different way?
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6668

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

What about sidearms and knives?
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6224|Escea

Ilocano wrote:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

sidearms will be unloaded as well, not sure about the knvies GS can tell you that.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6644
its there when we arrive.  pretty fast too.  as soon as we got off the plane in kuwait, we were given one fully loaded magazine and a stale cigar to each man.  most of our war toys arent with us when we travel to theater,  just our personal weapons.

Last edited by GunSlinger OIF II (2007-12-14 11:22:32)

GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6644

Ilocano wrote:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

knives, there is no rule about, but sidearms same deal.  no ammo on the planes.

Last edited by GunSlinger OIF II (2007-12-14 11:23:40)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6107|eXtreme to the maX
there are ways around that, im sure.
Yup, GWB just produces a signing statement which says he is not subject to control by Congress or has to worry about trivial things like the Geneva convention.

You say people were charged only because it was discovered by the press. I'm pretty sure people get charged all the time, whether it's released to the press or not.
Point to an example of someone being charged over prisoner maltreatment in Iraq or Afghanistan, or shooting up civilians in Iraq, before the press found out rather than after. As far as I can see in every case the press found out first and the military were forced to do something later.

We're talking about whether something is torture, not whether something violates some part of the Geneva convention.
When people are found to have violated it, they are prosecuted (a la Abu Ghraib).
No they're not, they're only prosecuted for extreme cases generally involving deaths, any maltreatment of prisoners violates the Geneva convention. GWB has unilaterally decided it doesn't apply.
The previously mentioned practises are torture, and are unacceptable as determined by your congress.
The administration particularly opposes restricting the CIA to interrogation methods approved by the U.S. military in 2006. That document prohibits forcing detainees to be naked, perform sexual acts, or pose in a sexual manner; placing hoods or sacks over detainees' heads or duct tape over their eyes; beating, shocking, or burning detainees; threatening them with military dogs; exposing them to extreme heat or cold; conducting mock executions; depriving them of food, water, or medical care; and waterboarding.
So Congress and the US military has determined these methods are unacceptable but you think they're fine?
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6412|'Murka

No. Now that our lawmakers have said it's not acceptable, then it shouldn't be done. There are lots of things that aren't torture that people aren't allowed to do by law. The latest defense budget has a rider in it about this very thing.

Do you mind citing where you got that last bit? It helps when you use the quote function if you actually put something in there so the rest of us know where it's from.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
OK, glad the US congress has caught up with public opinion.
As I understand it the US military manual, previously public and now secret, covers this and brings the US into line with the Geneva convention, finally.
Congress are extending the existing limits on the military to cover the CIA, after all if its wrong for the military its just as wrong for the CIA

Last bit was in the link given previously by Kmarion, so I didn't repeat it.
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/12/ … ME_3616832

Lets hope we can agree its unacceptable, and forget about whether it fits the definition of torture or not.
FEOS
+1,182|6412|'Murka

I don't know what "US military manual" you're talking about...there are literally hundreds. If it was once public, then it's not secret now...classification systems don't work that way.

All US military manuals (and have been) are in line with the US's ratification of the Geneva Convention. We are trained on it every year, sometimes more often depending on our jobs.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6291|Éire

FEOS wrote:

I don't know what "US military manual" you're talking about...there are literally hundreds. If it was once public, then it's not secret now...classification systems don't work that way.

All US military manuals (and have been) are in line with the US's ratification of the Geneva Convention. We are trained on it every year, sometimes more often depending on our jobs.
Is it just the CIA who are using waterboarding then? Do they fall outside of the teachings of the military manuals? Because it's my understanding that waterboarding violates common article 3 of the Geneva convention.
Ben0
The Last Gunslinger
+38|6375|Southampton
Waterboarding sounds like epic funz0rs. Might give it a go.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6291|Éire

Ben0 wrote:

Okay, you lie down and I'll go get the chains and the watering can.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6762

Ben0 wrote:

Join the Marines and volunteer for SERE school then.  It ain't as bad as people are making it out to be, but whatever.
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6224|Escea

Braddock wrote:

Ben0 wrote:

Okay, you lie down and I'll go get the chains and the watering can.
Whit about teh water?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

FEOS wrote:

All US military manuals (and have been) are in line with the US's ratification of the Geneva Convention. We are trained on it every year, sometimes more often depending on our jobs
Here you go.
'FM 34-52 Intelligence Interrogation - Used to train interrogators in conducting effective interrogations while conforming with US and international law. Recently updated to include a 10-page classified section as a result of the Abu Ghraib torture and prisoner abuse scandal.'
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FM_34-52_I … errogation
I guess you can look up the restricted sections we can't.
It seems it had to be made clear to the military what torture, inhumane and degrading treatment are.
Not too sure why as the Code of the U.S. Fighting Force supposedly contains this section:-
'It is a violation of the Geneva Convention to place a prisoner under physical or mental duress, torture or any other form of coercion in an effort to secure information.'

Maybe you can help clarify the situation for us, obviously without revealing anything restricted.

in line with the US's ratification of the Geneva Convention
Those are weasel words, still hopefully this is an example of the US interpretation of the Geneva convention.
Again from wiki.
'In 1947, the United States prosecuted a Japanese military officer, Yukio Asano, for carrying out a form of waterboarding on a U.S. civilian during World War II. Yukio Asano received a sentence of 15 years of hard labor.[13] The charges of Violation of the Laws and Customs of War against Asano also included "beating using hands, fists, club; kicking; burning using cigarettes; strapping on a stretcher head downward."'

Is it just the CIA who are using waterboarding then? Do they fall outside of the teachings of the military manuals? Because it's my understanding that waterboarding violates common article 3 of the Geneva convention.
The CIA are not apparently bound by military manuals, something Congress are trying to correct.
Articles 3 and 4 should cover everyone. Besides the Geneva convention there is the UN convention against torture. Not sure if the US signed.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Nat … st_Torture

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2007-12-15 19:24:48)

FEOS
+1,182|6412|'Murka

Braddock wrote:

FEOS wrote:

CIA is not governed by military manuals or regulations. They have their own (as does the entire intelligence community), which Congress is apparently addressing to match the military guidelines. From everything I've read, it was only the CIA that waterboarded anyone...and (again, according to what I've read) it was only three detainees, two of whom were top AQ operatives who clearly had operational information that could be acted upon.

If you investigate the ratification of Articles 3 or 4 (and treatment of terrorists actually hits Article 4 more than 3), you'll see that the US ratified with comments. I believe the details of those comments are in the link I provided in an earlier post, where the State Dept was answering questions from the UN with regard to prisoner treatment at Gitmo. It basically boils down to a matter of interpretation of severity and where the line is crossed.

Last edited by FEOS (2007-12-15 19:25:49)

― Albert Einstein

FEOS
+1,182|6412|'Murka

Dilbert_X wrote:

Here you go.
'FM 34-52 Intelligence Interrogation - Used to train interrogators in conducting effective interrogations while conforming with US and international law. Recently updated to include a 10-page classified section as a result of the Abu Ghraib torture and prisoner abuse scandal.'
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FM_34-52_I … errogation
I guess you can look up the restricted sections we can't.
It seems it had to be made clear to the military what torture, inhumane and degrading treatment are.
Not too sure why as the Code of the U.S. Fighting Force supposedly contains this section:-
'It is a violation of the Geneva Convention to place a prisoner under physical or mental duress, torture or any other form of coercion in an effort to secure information.'

Maybe you can help clarify the situation for us, obviously without revealing anything restricted.
FM = Army Field Manual. So not authoritative guidance for anyone but the Army. However, since they have the bulk of the interrogators, it does provide the bulk of the guidance on military members interrogating prisoners. CIA, however, isn't bound by it.

I'm sure it was rewritten in the aftermath of Abu Ghraib to make sure there was no question in anyone's mind what is allowed and what is not allowed.

As to the Geneva Convention, see my response to Braddock. If you investigate a bit, you'll see that ratification does not mean you accept all language in a given convention/treaty without interpretation. That is the case with the Articles in question.

Dilbert_X wrote:

in line with the US's ratification of the Geneva Convention
Those are weasel words, still hopefully this is an example of the US interpretation of the Geneva convention.
Just WTF do you mean by that?! You say we have to follow the Geneva Convention, then you call something being in line with what you want us to follow "weasel words"?! Make up your mind, Dilbert.

Dilbert_X wrote:

The CIA are not apparently bound by military manuals, something Congress are trying to correct.
Articles 3 and 4 should cover everyone. Besides the Geneva convention there is the UN convention against torture. Not sure if the US signed.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Nat … st_Torture
As stated before, CIA and the rest of the intel community have their own rules and regulations that they follow. They would not be governed by military regs, as they are not part of the DoD.
― Albert Einstein

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
If you investigate a bit, you'll see that ratification does not mean you accept all language in a given convention/treaty without interpretation
Exactly my point on weasel words, so a country can sign up to a convention or treaty, and then re-write their own interpretation to mean whatever they want. I'm aware the rest of the world does this to varying extents.
It seems the US is hypocritical on this, prosecuting Japanese for war crimes while allowing the CIA to do what they want. The US can't have ratified it in two different ways.

As stated before, CIA and the rest of the intel community have their own rules and regulations that they follow. They would not be governed by military regs, as they are not part of the DoD.
I'm aware of that, the CIA should have rules in place which recognises the fact the US has signed the Geneva convention and the UN convention on torture. It seems they don't. How so?

Why does congress have to force this on an unwilling govt? Why has it taken congress five years to remember the US has international obligations on human rights? (The point of the OP)

See what the rest of the world thinks of the US.
http://www.boston.com/news/nation/washi … rebuke_us/

This is the best the US govt can come up with.
'''We acknowledge that there were very serious incidents of abuse," State Department legal adviser John Bellinger III said. ''We've all seen Abu Ghraib. There have been numerous other allegations. There have been other incidents. We have investigated those. We've held people accountable. But as I said at the time, you know, clearly our record has improved over the last few years."'
FEOS
+1,182|6412|'Murka

Dilbert_X wrote:

If you investigate a bit, you'll see that ratification does not mean you accept all language in a given convention/treaty without interpretation
Exactly my point on weasel words, so a country can sign up to a convention or treaty, and then re-write their own interpretation to mean whatever they want. I'm aware the rest of the world does this to varying extents.
It seems the US is hypocritical on this, prosecuting Japanese for war crimes while allowing the CIA to do what they want. The US can't have ratified it in two different ways.
It's called sovereignty. You're talking about a case in 1947...the world has changed a bit in 60 years. Perhaps countries' interpretations of the language of a treaty/convention can change in that timeframe as well.

Dilbert_X wrote:

I'm aware of that, the CIA should have rules in place which recognises the fact the US has signed the Geneva convention and the UN convention on torture. It seems they don't. How so?

Why does congress have to force this on an unwilling govt? Why has it taken congress five years to remember the US has international obligations on human rights? (The point of the OP)
Actually, the point of the OP was the hypocrisy of the lawmakers screaming for heads to roll now for something they themselves knew about, approved of, and asked if it was "tough enough".

Dilbert_X wrote:

See what the rest of the world thinks of the US.
http://www.boston.com/news/nation/washi … rebuke_us/

This is the best the US govt can come up with.
'''We acknowledge that there were very serious incidents of abuse," State Department legal adviser John Bellinger III said. ''We've all seen Abu Ghraib. There have been numerous other allegations. There have been other incidents. We have investigated those. We've held people accountable. But as I said at the time, you know, clearly our record has improved over the last few years."'
A UN study does not equate to the non-US portion of the world's population. However, I'm not arguing whether the image of the US has taken a hit internationally due to policies of the current administration. I'm pretty sure that our government could provide a free AIDS vaccine to Africa and it would still be criticized for it by most of the world for some damn reason.

The key in your quotation is that the incidents were investigated and people were held accountable. If it was sanctioned by the government (as you imply), then that wouldn't be the case, now would it? In talking about waterboarding specifically...again...CIA did it, not the military. The military is bound by the Geneva Convention. CIA is (was?) not, due to the interpretation of the status of the detainees.
― Albert Einstein

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
It's called sovereignty. You're talking about a case in 1947...the world has changed a bit in 60 years. Perhaps countries' interpretations of the language of a treaty/convention can change in that timeframe as well.
The nature of torture has not changed, waterboarding is still waterboarding, 1 years hard labour is still 15 years hard labour.
The military is bound by the Geneva Convention. CIA is (was?) not, due to the interpretation of the status of the detainees.
Whoever came up with that interpretation should be tried as a war criminal.
Forgetting that, the US signed the UN convention on torture, so shouldn't be torturing people.

Providing free vaccines and abudcting and torturing people to death are a little different.

The key in your quotation is that the incidents were investigated and people were held accountable.
I guess we'll wait and see if that Kiriakou guy is held accountable.
FEOS
+1,182|6412|'Murka

But you keep forgetting that countries ratify under certain conditions. They don't necessarily ratify or accept the language verbatim. It's not only the US that does this.

No country should EVER let international agreements take precedence over their own laws and their own interests. If you want to let the UN decide what your interests are, then you can go ahead and let them determine your tax structure, wage requirements, provincial boundaries, trade agreements, etc. as well.
― Albert Einstein

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
But you keep forgetting that countries ratify under certain conditions. They don't necessarily ratify or accept the language verbatim. It's not only the US that does this.
Read my post please. 'I'm aware the rest of the world does this to varying extents.'

No country should EVER let international agreements take precedence over their own laws and their own interests. If you want to let the UN decide what your interests are, then you can go ahead and let them determine your tax structure, wage requirements, provincial boundaries, trade agreements, etc. as well.
Then there is no point in signing international agreements is there? If you sign and ratify a treaty you're required to write it into your own laws, thats the whole point.
If you negotiate and sign a treaty and then don't bother youself over observing it you've wasted everone's time and goodwill.
Don't expect the rest of the world to observe treaties either.

Otherwise just close your borders, marry your sisters and become one huge version of Utah.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6644

Dilbert_X wrote:

Read my post please. 'I'm aware the rest of the world does this to varying extents.'

Then there is no point in signing international agreements is there? If you sign and ratify a treaty you're required to write it into your own laws, thats the whole point.
If you negotiate and sign a treaty and then don't bother youself over observing it you've wasted everone's time and goodwill.
Don't expect the rest of the world to observe treaties either.

Otherwise just close your borders, marry your sisters and become one huge version of Utah.
so there is no point to countries.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard