commado_evans
+5|6157
To: EA Games,
Starting with the release of Battlefield 2142, an online PC game, EA Games has begun incorporating the IGA software with their games. This is stated in a disclaimer accompanying Battlefield 2142:
“The Software may incorporate technology developed by IGA Worldwide Inc. ("IGA") (the "Advertising Technology"). The purpose of the Advertising Technology is to deliver in-game advertisements to you when you use the Software while connected to the Internet. When you use the Software while connected to the Internet, the Advertising Technology may record your Internet Protocol address and other anonymous information ("Advertising Data").”

Not only is it offensive enough that EA Games has decided to force adware into products that consumers pay a large price for (often $50 or more), they have further made things worse by giving this software the ability to spy on our computers. Although the information is submitted anonymously, it is still monitoring what we are using our computers for. The disclaimer is also extremely vague; giving no specification of any boundary EA has set.

Adware and spyware have often been proved to slow down computers. It is another unneeded piece of software constantly running in the background and consuming memory, CPU cycles, and internet bandwidth. If every company were to take from EA’s examples, our computers would be bloated to the point of barely being usable.

EA has not given us an option to opt out of this, and their only compromise so far is for us to not use the game on an internet connected computer. Seeing how consumers have paid for an internet enabled game and one that is primarily meant to be played on the internet, this is an extremely poor compromise.

As a result of these actions by EA, I am calling for a boycott of all EA Games which feature this software, namely Battlefield 2142. It is unacceptable to force spyware onto a user’s computer in order to use a product. A disclaimer included in the box does not make this okay. Especially after Sony’s Rootkit software, it is unacceptable for companies to be doing this.

Sincerely,
Can this thread be stickied so it doesn't get lost. I though that this was a great idea and thought I should share it with the rest of you. So please sign the petition to remove all Spyware/adware from BF2142. Thankyou!
PLEASE CLICK HERE TO SIGN THE PETITION
Zukabazuka
+23|6676
Wrong it doesn't do that at all. The only thing it recorded was how much time you wasted on watching the bullet screen where the ads where. You guys are just jumping to conlcusions about this.

Second the spyware hasn't bothered me at all, I havn't noticed any slowdown in the game, works a hell lot better than BF2 for sure.
sgtdude1987
+8|6207|midlands britain
Zukabazuka has a valid point. There is no evidence in what the petition states.
You are going to need numerical, repeatable evidence of the effects you claim it has.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard