Total: 55
Ayumiz
J-10 whore
+103|6765|Singapore
what is a booster pack? must we buy it?
Beatdown Patrol
+1|6769

Scarymother wrote:

I do get sick of people who expect corporations just to do stuff for nothing.  If not for the profit motive and the fact that these companies can make money from this medium we wouldn't have this marvellous game in the first place.

If you don't want the extra content, don't buy it, but stop bitching about it.

Count yourself lucky that the game doesn't require a monthly subscription like many on-line games.
The irony.  You are bitching about people bitching.  I don't expect a corporation to do stuff for nothing.  I expect them to hand me a product that works from the onset.  Once they are able to meet that expectation, THEN I will feel more comfortable giving them more of my money.

Here, let me make it more simple for you.  You are hungry.  You go to a restaurant and order a burger.  It comes to you undercooked and with only one half of the bun.  When you complain, some other customer looks at you and says, "Hey!  Stop bitching."  You finally complain loud enough and the guy at the register says that they can have it fixed for you in 2 hours, but that in the meantime you should buy some of their fries.  You purchase the fries and they come to you burnt.  You complain about that and somebody else in line calls you ungrateful.  The guy at the register then comes back and tells you that they can fix the burger and the fries, but only when the combo meal comes out in a few weeks.  Then he starts to tell you about how good their milkshakes are and that they are only $1.00.

If any other industry ran things the way software game companies did, they wouldn't last.  Want me to use the same example but use the car industry as the model?  I mean absolute no offense, but you are exactly the type of customer that EA wants.  The one that will lick their spoon of shit, say thank-you, and to ask for another helping.

Mandoscottie wrote:

You dont get anything for free in this world, its about time people stopped dreaming with we should get it for free!
You are right.  But consider...many of us have already payed $85 for an unfinished, buggy product that is unreturnable once opened.  I repeat.  UNRETUUUURNABLE.   Let's not even get into the fact that us consumers beta tested their unfinished product for FREE.  BF2 came out six freakin' months ago.  Since then, we have had 1 patch to fix blatant bugs, loopholes, and balance issues.  Worse, they MIGHT have gotten 20% of what needed to be done to fix the game.  The fact that they are now trying to sell booster packs after their lame support of the main product isn't a slap in the face, it is a kick in the nuts.

wooly-back-jack wrote:

Whats the legality of this? we have bought the full game, and then most of us have forked out for an 'expansion pack' too. Without the updates/patches we CANT --->[quote from dvd case] "defeat the enemy online to rise through the ranks and unlock weapons and medals with the all-new character scoring system"

mis-selling of product? here in the UK we are protected from this sort of thing in retail...so arent they outside the laws/watchdogs a bit?
Unethical?  Perhaps..but legal?  Yes.  On EA's policy on software and content, I refer you to the following link:

http://www.ea.com/global/legal/tos.jsp

Scroll down to Limitations on Warrenty and Liability.  You can't miss it.  It is the only section of the long legal document that is in CAPS.  To paraphrase, by accepting the agreement (when you installed the game), you agree to accept the game AS IS and AS AVAILABLE.   Basically, they are not obligated to even give you a patch to fix the game.  AND...you can only return the game if defective, whereas it will be replaced with a brand new copy. 

- Beatdown
Esker
+1|6758
Well when you think about it a large quantity of EA's customers for games like this are actually kids, well teenagers.

Not every teenager has parents that want to use their credit card on the internet, have one or are willing to buy a booster pack so their kid can play that damn game more. Plus the poor kid is gonna have to explain to his/her parents what the hell this booster pack etc.

Some people like myself like to have a DVD or CD when they buy a game and not just a downloaded copy, so they're going to lose that side of the market aswell.

It's just a cheap stunt that EA are refusing to supply a copy of these booster packs in the shops. It's going save them money on packaging but I'd really like to see them lose a lot of money on this, purely on principle.

Hopefully someone will find a way to leak an illegal copy and everyone else will use that instead.

Last edited by Esker (2005-12-26 21:01:57)

RKF77
+1|6782

Esker wrote:

Not every teenager has parents that want to use their credit card on the internet, have one or are willing to buy a booster pack so their kid can play that damn game more.
Luckily, they can still play the game without them.
Bwspecial
+2|6853

Beatdown Patrol wrote:

Scarymother wrote:

I do get sick of people who expect corporations just to do stuff for nothing.  If not for the profit motive and the fact that these companies can make money from this medium we wouldn't have this marvellous game in the first place.

Count yourself lucky that the game doesn't require a monthly subscription like many on-line games.
The irony.  You are bitching about people bitching.  I don't expect a corporation to do stuff for nothing.  I expect them to hand me a product that works from the onset.  Once they are able to meet that expectation, THEN I will feel more comfortable giving them more of my money.

Here, let me make it more simple for you.  You are hungry.  You go to a restaurant and order a burger.  It comes to you undercooked and with only one half of the bun.  When you complain, some other customer looks at you and says, "Hey!  Stop bitching."  You finally complain loud enough and the guy at the register says that they can have it fixed for you in 2 hours, but that in the meantime you should buy some of their fries.  You purchase the fries and they come to you burnt.  You complain about that and somebody else in line calls you ungrateful.  The guy at the register then comes back and tells you that they can fix the burger and the fries, but only when the combo meal comes out in a few weeks.  Then he starts to tell you about how good their milkshakes are and that they are only $1.00.

If any other industry ran things the way software game companies did, they wouldn't last.  Want me to use the same example but use the car industry as the model?  I mean absolute no offense, but you are exactly the type of customer that EA wants.  The one that will lick their spoon of shit, say thank-you, and to ask for another helping.

Mandoscottie wrote:

You dont get anything for free in this world, its about time people stopped dreaming with we should get it for free!
You are right.  But consider...many of us have already payed $85 for an unfinished, buggy product that is unreturnable once opened.  I repeat.  UNRETUUUURNABLE.   Let's not even get into the fact that us consumers beta tested their unfinished product for FREE.  BF2 came out six freakin' months ago.  Since then, we have had 1 patch to fix blatant bugs, loopholes, and balance issues.  Worse, they MIGHT have gotten 20% of what needed to be done to fix the game.  The fact that they are now trying to sell booster packs after their lame support of the main product isn't a slap in the face, it is a kick in the nuts.

wooly-back-jack wrote:

Whats the legality of this? we have bought the full game, and then most of us have forked out for an 'expansion pack' too. Without the updates/patches we CANT --->[quote from dvd case] "defeat the enemy online to rise through the ranks and unlock weapons and medals with the all-new character scoring system"

mis-selling of product? here in the UK we are protected from this sort of thing in retail...so arent they outside the laws/watchdogs a bit?
Unethical?  Perhaps..but legal?  Yes.  On EA's policy on software and content, I refer you to the following link:

Scroll down to Limitations on Warrenty and Liability.  You can't miss it.  It is the only section of the long legal document that is in CAPS.  To paraphrase, by accepting the agreement (when you installed the game), you agree to accept the game AS IS and AS AVAILABLE.   Basically, they are not obligated to even give you a patch to fix the game.  AND...you can only return the game if defective, whereas it will be replaced with a brand new copy. 

- Beatdown
Considering that we are still talking about a game that game out 6 months ago, they must of got something right. There are plenty of games we have all bought only to un-install 2 weeks later. There wil never be a perfect game! I am grateful EA is still even remotely interested in this game.

The burger shit is just dumb. You can't compare a game that we are still playing after 6 months to a undercooked burger. You don't go back into a McDonalds after 6 months and bitch because you burger back then didn't have cheese. 

If you don't like it,don't ever buy from Mickey D's or whoever the fuck we are talking about.
Bwspecial
+2|6853
Scroll down to Limitations on Warrenty and Liability.  You can't miss it.  It is the only section of the long legal document that is in CAPS.  To paraphrase, by accepting the agreement (when you installed the game), you agree to accept the game AS IS and AS AVAILABLE.   Basically, they are not obligated to even give you a patch to fix the game.  AND...you can only return the game if defective, whereas it will be replaced with a brand new copy

- Beatdown

It is called buyer beware.  Get over it and buy another game.
freebirdpat
Base Rapist
+5|6784

Bwspecial wrote:

Beatdown Patrol wrote:

Scarymother wrote:

Mandoscottie wrote:

wooly-back-jack wrote:

- Beatdown
Considering that we are still talking about a game that game out 6 months ago, they must of got something right. There are plenty of games we have all bought only to un-install 2 weeks later. There wil never be a perfect game! I am grateful EA is still even remotely interested in this game.

The burger shit is just dumb. You can't compare a game that we are still playing after 6 months to a undercooked burger. You don't go back into a McDonalds after 6 months and bitch because you burger back then didn't have cheese. 

If you don't like it,don't ever buy from Mickey D's or whoever the fuck we are talking about.
Actually you could, if you bought another burger, and it didn't have cheese even though its advertised with cheese.
Beatdown Patrol
+1|6769

Bwspecial wrote:

To think that 6 months constitutes a long time for a multi-player game leads me to believe that either your standards are pretty damn low or your attention span is relatively short.  All the same, I do my research and let people with low standards like yourself test the games are good and what games are bad.  I love your word choice.  You are "grateful" that EA is still even remotely interested in BF2.  As if they are doing you a favor.  Wow.  ::shaking head::  After playing games like Warcraft II and III, Starcraft, the Dooms, Quakes, Counter Strikes, Rainbow-6s and a plethora of multiplayer games that have lasted YEARS, your 6-months of gratefulness pales in comparision.  Please come back after you put down your PS2 or whatever console rail shooter you are playing.

Bwspecial wrote:

If you don't like it, don't ever buy from Mickey D's or whoever the fuck we are talking about.
Dude.  Read it again and then....  Nonono wait.  Go study up on satirical writing...THEN read it again.  Here is a good link for ya.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satirical

Hoooly Shitballs.  Even having to explain this to you means that I am probably wasting my time.  Alas, I will try anyway.  Of COURSE you don't go back to McDonald's after 6 months to bitch about a burger, Bwspecial.  That wasn't the point of the example.  It was to press what EA has done by using a simple analogy that any person could understand.  I guess I didn't make it simple enough.  The point was that you buy a product, it is bad, broken, unfinished, whatever from a company.  You wait an unacceptable time (based on the product) for them to fix it.  They drag their feet.  They ask you to buy an addition to the original product, and it is bad, broken, unfinished, whatever too.  You complain.  Some other customer tells you to STFU for trying to complain because they think you should have low standards like themselves.  While waiting for the original product and the additional product to be fixed, the company tries to sell you one of their other products without batting an eye.  As if you are still supposed to trust them to deliver anything approching quality and customer service.

Bwspecial wrote:

It is called buyer beware.  Get over it and buy another game.
Right.  That is the way to get a company to change their policies.  Go buy another game.  Has it ever occurred to you that this is why companies don't have incentive to release better products?  Why should they when you are going to buy it anyway and if it sucks, you will just go by another one.  There is a term they use for people who do that.  Lemming.

- Beatdown

Last edited by Beatdown Patrol (2005-12-26 23:47:20)

Lestat<CoN>
Didnt Do it
+9|6735
Well if you have to pay for it and you dont have a credit card to do it your stuffed like me so i wont be getting the boosters and if i cant play BF2 without the boosters ive wasted my money but i will have to wait and see and in the mean time stop whinging get out there and KILL KILL KILL like its going out of fashion
Captain_Slog
PUNISHED?!...*sigh*
+2|6762|Perth, Australia
Why does everyone keep going on about the game being buggy and half finished etc?   Other than the red name thing I can't think of anything else and lets face it, it hardly stops you from playing or having fun. 

I for one will buy the boosters as in the whole scheme of things its cheap entertainment, I could have spent the original purchase price at the pub on a saturday night getting shit faced and have nothing to show for it except a sore head the next day.
fdcp_elmo
Rules over Sesamestreet
+5|6786|The Netherlands
I think Why should we buy these booster packs. they are nothing more than a mod the only diffrence is that on mods the ranking system doesn't work. that is a brilliant step from EA evryone seems to find stats important i like the idea but it is not controlling my play though i find it nice to hunt for awards i will not miss it when it is gone.
I will see if i buy this extra content but when tehy come out it is allmost a whole year past since i first touched the BF2 demo. i am allmost sure that im sick of the game by then only to pick it up when i am bored.
so is it worth it i think it's not you have played this game for a long time and i can imagine you getting tired of it and hungry for a new gaming experience. does extra content make a new experience. no these booster packs only add some new stuff you know after two hours of play. but we shall see

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard