Poll

COD4: A BF2 style game or an improved CS?

BF2 Style Game5%5% - 6
Improved CS43%43% - 49
A whole new game51%51% - 58
Total: 113
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6759|Argentina
After playing the singleplayer I was very happy.  It was the best singleplayer ever.  After playing multiplayer I feel this game seems more like an improved CS.  I mean there's little strategy involved.  There's no real teamwork, in fact it has nothing to do with BF2  I'm a bit disappointed, although I'm a big fan of CS, I was expecting an improved BF2and if you ask me BF2 is far better than this game.  What do you think?
jsnipy
+3,276|6524|...

I like the game, but I can see how many people say its like CS at heart ... which to me is not bad thing.
I definaltey don't think it is anything like bf2 in terms of gameplay.
SEREVENT
MASSIVE G STAR
+605|6109|Birmingham, UK
I voted for new game, because, i'm actually good at it, also because its just... so... um, different.
UK|Hooligan
Seriously, fuck off.
+103|6690|"The Empire"
Cant compare COD4 to BF2, but is similar to CS in a way, and more so when playing S&D. There is no disappointment with it as i knew what to expect which is a very good game.
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6811|Nårvei

The only similar feature in Cod4 and BF2 is the fact that you can shoot other players, S&D brought back the CS 1.6 feeling but with way better graphics.

So not even close to BF2 but i like them both, more like CS but a hole new different game, not an improvement of one game only but like other FPS games the newest of them is evolved from the others and with some old improved bits and some new.

Looks so far like the developers also takes the gamers seriously and meets their suggestions and listens to their demands
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
Ruckel
Ruckel for all!
+43|6177|sverige
beats bf2 and cs, no doubt
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6759|Argentina

Ruckel wrote:

beats bf2 and cs, no doubt
CS is old, but it's the original, and BF2 is more than a simple FPS.  It envolves a lot of things COD4 doesn't.  BF2 is IMO the best PC game ever.
zeidmaan
+234|6416|Vienna

Improved CS but only graphically. Maps are better in CS and gameplay much better.
There is something obviously wrong with a game where less than half off all kills is done with bullets
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6666|NT, like Mick Dundee

The infantry combat is far closer to BF2's than CS 1.6 or CSS tbh.

The only thing that makes CoD4 not at all unlike battlefield is the lack of vehicles and the map size. Especially when you aren't playing Search and Destroy.

Team Deathmatch and HQ mode really do remind me of BF2. Especially when I get bombed. Occasionally I still think ZOMG J10...
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6811|Nårvei

Flecco wrote:

The infantry combat is far closer to BF2's than CS 1.6 or CSS tbh.

The only thing that makes CoD4 not at all unlike battlefield is the lack of vehicles and the map size. Especially when you aren't playing Search and Destroy.

Team Deathmatch and HQ mode really do remind me of BF2. Especially when I get bombed. Occasionally I still think ZOMG VAREGG...
Fixed
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
SharkyMcshark
I'll take two
+132|6787|Perth, Western Australia
Actually I was thinking about it earlier today, and the games I'd compare it too the most (given my limited experience with CS) would be a cross between FEAR Combat and STALKER's multiplayer.

To be honest I can't really see any long term appeal in it (and shit, I've only had it for 24 hours). It's just run, shoot, die, run shoot die runshootdie (with weapons all colours of the rainbow). It's enjoyable but very shallow at the end of the day. BF2's depth just blows it out of the water.
Flecco
iPod is broken.

What depth? BF2 has no depth to it's infantry combat. The only vehicle done well in BF2 is the helicopter. The rest are like an arcade minigame.

Edit.

Actually, everything in BF2 is like an arcade minigame. The classes are a total farce. The medic is a curious gameplay mechanic hampered by total spam and a disregard by almost all players as to it's actual function.

Map design for the most part is pretty plain. Special forces had some great cap points but for the most part the whole game's maps were utter shite excepting perhaps 2-3 which were largely ignored by the general public due to them being just a little too big.

Global stats... The ultimate epenis ego enhancer is the reason for BF2's popularity.

Last edited by Flecco (2007-11-30 05:53:30)

sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6759|Argentina

Flecco wrote:

What depth? BF2 has no depth to it's infantry combat. The only vehicle done well in BF2 is the helicopter. The rest are like an arcade minigame.
COD4 is an arcade game.  In BF2 you have a lot of teamwork and strategic decisions to make.  There's more teamwork involved in CS than in COD4.  This is just ShootShootShootShoot.
Flecco
iPod is broken.

sergeriver wrote:

Flecco wrote:

COD4 is an arcade game.  In BF2 you have a lot of teamwork and strategic decisions to make.  There's more teamwork involved in CS than in COD4.  This is just ShootShootShootShoot.
What strategy? Which cp to go for? Non-existant, as the game is too chaotic for it to have a real impact.

Any and all depth in BF2, if it can be called that, arises from team-play using voip. Which doesn't happen often on pubs.

Voip also happens to be a rather common feature, which quite frankly, most FPS can do.

serge, in the end it comes down to this...

BF2 is not a flight sim. It is not a helecopter combat sim. It is not a tank sim. It bears no similarity to reality at all. It's infantry on infantry combat is poor compared to what CoD4 could offer with slightly bigger maps. It's medic system was poorly thought out as far as implementation goes.

Project Reality has depth. BF2 does not.

All that said, CoD4 has far more style than substance. The substance will be demanded of the designer's now that they have proven they have style. If they can't deliver, the market will move on.

Last edited by Flecco (2007-11-30 06:04:00)

sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6759|Argentina

Flecco wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

Flecco wrote:

What strategy? Which cp to go for? Non-existant, as the game is too chaotic for it to have a real impact.

Any and all depth in BF2, if it can be called that, arises from team-play using voip. Which doesn't happen often on pubs.

Voip also happens to be a rather common feature, which quite frankly, most FPS can do.
You are not giving credit to BF2 at all by saying all teamwork comes from VOIP, when you have a lot of commanding and squad leading orders to give in BF2.  A good team in BF2 makes the difference, in COD4 it's all about happytriggers killing each other.  If you compare the SP campaign with the MP it has nothing to do.
Flecco
iPod is broken.

sergeriver wrote:

You are not giving credit to BF2 at all by saying all teamwork comes from VOIP, when you have a lot of commanding and squad leading orders to give in BF2.  A good team in BF2 makes the difference, in COD4 it's all about happytriggers killing each other.  If you compare the SP campaign with the MP it has nothing to do.
Again, the orders system wasn't thought out either. If a game is completely dependent upon it's players for it to be good, it fails as a well designed game. Look at TF2 for example, or maybe ET:QW. Both have made sure a player has an idea of exactly what he is meant to be doing, rather than letting people run amok on servers. That said, sometimes chaos can be fun. Chaos doesn't blow apart a game of TF2, or from my experience in the beta, a game of QW.

Chaos rules the pub servers of BF2.

It gets worse when you consider that around 1/3rd of the community has the attention span of a gnat. That another 1/3rd of it is concerned with personal advancement through global stats and epenis enlargement.... These are the same fuckers who actually open and buy all that shit in my email inbox every day about penis enlargement shit. They have self confidence issues, so they look to a computer game to raise their self esteem. The last third comprises the bulk of that which you find here; players who have a love for games that place them in a situation that roughly resembles modern warfare or a combat environment, and allows them to compete with others.

I know this, because having played extensively with the AU community on here in various games for hundreds of hours I've learned quite a lot about the internets various demographics. In particular, BF2's.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6759|Argentina

Flecco wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

Again, the orders system wasn't thought out either. If a game is completely dependent upon it's players for it to be good, it fails as a well designed game. Look at TF2 for example, or maybe ET:QW. Both have made sure a player has an idea of exactly what he is meant to be doing, rather than letting people run amok on servers. That said, sometimes chaos can be fun. Chaos doesn't blow apart a game of TF2, or from my experience in the beta, a game of QW.

It gets worse when you consider that around 1/3rd of the community has the attention span of a gnat. That another 1/3rd of it is concerned with personal advancement through global stats and epenis enlargement.... These are the same fuckers who actually open and buy all that shit in my email inbox every day about penis enlargement shit. They have self confidence issues, so they look to a computer game to raise their self esteem. The last third comprises the bulk of that which you find here; players who have a love for games that place them in a situation that roughly resembles modern warfare or a combat environment, and allows them to compete with others.

I know this, because having played extensively with the AU community on here in various games for hundreds of hours I've learned quite a lot about the internets various demographics. In particular, BF2's.
I still think BF2 is way better than COD4, but your comments about the e-community are very true.  Lol.  +1
Flecco
iPod is broken.

serge, unless CoD4 gets a rather hefty expansion pack adding more of everything, along with some vehicle based action.

I agree. BF2 > CoD4. CoD4 is slick in presentation, but doesn't give enough. BF2 was poor in presentation, but offered around six different games in one. Seven if you count Blackhawk whoring with a squad pre-1.12. Damn I miss that shit in Mashpotato City. Was hilarious. Along with some once-in-a-lifetime experiences of pure hilarity resulting from the sheer chaos you can cause.

3 jeep drivers being tked for chasing a friend of mine around honking their horns constantly comes to mind. He shot them (me and two of my best mates), because he got pissed after 3 straight minutes of meep meep meep meep. Phonecalls resulted, and a lot of laughing. And a detention for anote which caused tears of laughter in the back of a maths class.

R3v, Gen.Raven and I screaming into our mics with laughter as R3v ploughed our blackhawk, which had our 15 C4 packs plastered all over the cockpit, into various vehicles on the AU server, over and over again.

My best mate pissing me off by hovering infront of me in a transport chopper while I tried to shoot the enemy (I was in a tank, he was copying something my older bro had done to him for an hour of play).

BF2 has one thing in spades that no other game I have ever encountered mastered, even those that aimed for it. Chaos. Sheer, hilarious and unstoppable chaos.

Many great memories of time with mates (real life mates) spent shouting at each other over voip. Along with the times with the AU crew.

Last edited by Flecco (2007-11-30 06:26:53)

Emil
Teh strogg!
+205|6481|Trondheim, Norway
What surprise me is that you compare COD4 with BF2 and CS.
COD4 ain't any of these games, its Call of Duty. Comparing it as either a BF2-style game or improved CS is wrong imho.
COD4 should be compared with COD and COD2, not BF and CS.

Flecco wrote:

So true
SharkyMcshark
I'll take two
By depth I meant that there was a lot of diverse things you could do, or gameplay styles you can try out (well, more than COD4 anyway). COD4 has twitch play. Thats it. The maps are too small to snipe, there are no vehicles, and the entire thing just boils down to 'kill them baddies' (occasionally while standing in a particular place). These aren't criticisms at all, just statements of fact. And as far as twitch shooters go it's very entertaining, what with all the different weapons, upgrades, and skins to unlock, and all those nifty little challenges. But again, it boils down to a twitch shooter.

BF2 comparatively offers more multiplayer wise. No, it isn't a helicopter, jet or tank sim. No, it isn't realistic in the slightest. But it IS diverse. Fly a jet, pilot chopper, snipe, go for the QC battles, armour whore, jihad jeep, go the brick (flying a transport chopper laden with c4 into things).... the possibilities stretch on. If taken individually, its components would be shit, but it gels together so well as a whole. What separates BF2 from the crowd at the end of the day is its longevity due to its variety in game play (hey, 20+ Internode servers, and 20+ Gamearena servers, most of which are regularly used, is symptomatic of a game that isn't dead).

With that said, COD4 single player KICKS ass. As a complete package it probably offers the same as BF2. But if we're looking at multiplayer, COD4 doesn't do enough to stand out from the crowd in the long term (I think anyway).

Similar to what Flecco said, BF2 has for me over the past 2 and a half years been filled with laughs, and good times with mates (both internet and real life). COD4 hasn;t, and I dont think it has the potential to either. I mean honestly, where else would you get the experience of a bridge above you exploding, only for you to look up and see an AA Mobile plummeting towarad you face, only for it to land on you AND award the driver a kill! *wishes he had a FRAPS of that particular incident*
zeidmaan
+234|6416|Vienna

I agree about most of the things said about BF2. Thats why I thank God for Project Reality. Almost every stupid thing in BF2 has been fixed in PR. I hope a MOD will come out for COD4 doing the same thing.
Reality is that if they make a game thats too complicated or restrictive it wont be for the masses. And they are making a game to make money. So if you want the real dead you have to play mods. Bad thing about BF2 is the stats system. People dont want to play mods because it doesnt count towards their stats. Its not just PR that is awsome and much better than vanilla, its many other mods too.
But people try them and LOVE them. Than they join the forums and write 2 pages of praises for the mod. Than they ask "why arent my stats increasing?" And than when they figure it out they shout all kind of profanities at DEVs for making them waste their precious time playing an unranked game.
Hopefully it will be better with COD4.
Flecco
iPod is broken.

SharkyMcshark wrote:

Sharky's big long post which essentially agrees with the aspects of my post detailing the positive appraisal of BF2, in particular, my mention of 6-8 different games in one.
Good post. Wish I had caught more than one game with you during my stretch on BF2's mp. My main memory of you was you killing me on Wake.

In a chopper.

Repeatedly.

SharkyMcshark
I'll take two

Flecco wrote:

Wish I had caught more than one game with you during my stretch on BF2's mp. My main memory of you was you killing me on Wake.

In a chopper.

Repeatedly.

That's because I'm the only guy keeping the streets clean while keeping it real. Teal'c PI.
Fredrik
i hate you all
+201|6650|Norway

sergeriver wrote:

if you ask me BF2 is far better than this game
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6447|The Land of Scott Walker
Whole new game.  Regarding gameplay, yes, basically improved CS.  Speed matters more than accuracy from what I’ve seen . . . whoever shoots first always wins.  Whereas in BF2, if someone gets the jump on me and I fire more accurately, I can still survive.  However, CS does not have the perks and ranking system, so COD4 is kind of a hybrid imo.  Also agree BF2 is better for a multiplayer military shooter.  COD4 is fun, but still can’t match the Battlefield series depth.  COD4 does not have any structure like a commander or squads and you can’t set your own objectives, hence very little teamwork, if any at all.  Pretty much one big deathmatch free for all.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard