Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6689|NT, like Mick Dundee

mikkel wrote:

How does that make the opinions of the Sudanese legislature void? Surely they have just as much right to their opinions as Gawwad has.
It doesn't, never said it did. Just said that Gawwad had a right to his opinion.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
mikkel
+383|6625

Flecco wrote:

mikkel wrote:

How does that make the opinions of the Sudanese legislature void? Surely they have just as much right to their opinions as Gawwad has.
It doesn't, never said it did. Just said that Gawwad had a right to his opinion.
No one ever claimed that he didn't.

Turquoise wrote:

Draconian legislation might be their prerogative, but it doesn't change the fact that it's fucked up.  Nazies had draconian legislation of their own, and we didn't sit back and say, "Oh it's their culture, leave it be."
That seems like precisely what we did. They were in power from 1933 'till 1945 - A full six years before unleashing their military onto the world.

Like I've said before, I don't agree with the legislation myself, but by their standards, it's probably fair and far from draconian, so who are we to dictate what they should and shouldn't do?
IRONCHEF
+385|6515|Northern California
Be nice if Brittain just got their SAS boys down there one night, yanked that stupid teacher from her cell (shouldn't be in an assbackwards country helping people who don't want your help), and drop some serious ordnance on khartoum (bombs wrapped in pictures of teddy bears named MOHAMMED). 

But hey, if Brittain (and the rest of the world who pretends to care about civil rights abuses) would do that, then they'd have to try and stem the slaughter in Sudan out west.
jord
+2,382|6702|The North, beyond the wall.
Why do people spell Britain with a double t?
IRONCHEF
+385|6515|Northern California

jord wrote:

haha, i thought I got that wrong.  derrrr...
hasnol963
+1|6513
i find pretty silly, muhammed is a very popular name in the arab/muslim world. maybe the kid like that name so much he wants his teddy to have that name? that's inocent man, she shouldn't be jailed for that.
The_Mac
+96|6249

mikkel wrote:

It's just a different culture.
Ja, nice culture, rite?
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6429|North Carolina

mikkel wrote:

Like I've said before, I don't agree with the legislation myself, but by their standards, it's probably fair and far from draconian, so who are we to dictate what they should and shouldn't do?
It only becomes a concern for other countries when one of their own citizens is involved.  For example, if I were Gordon Brown, I'd demand they release this woman to Britain without punishing her.  If not, the bombs start dropping.

If they want to wield bullshit laws on their own people, so be it, but they sure as hell better be careful with foreign citizens of countries with vastly more powerful militaries.
mikkel
+383|6625

The_Mac wrote:

mikkel wrote:

It's just a different culture.
Ja, nice culture, rite?
I'm sure there are a lot of people who would say the same about yours.

Turquoise wrote:

mikkel wrote:

It only becomes a concern for other countries when one of their own citizens is involved.  For example, if I were Gordon Brown, I'd demand they release this woman to Britain without punishing her.  If not, the bombs start dropping.

If they want to wield bullshit laws on their own people, so be it, but they sure as hell better be careful with foreign citizens of countries with vastly more powerful militaries.
So what you're saying is that any citizen of a powerful nation should be able to come to Sudan and break any law and seek out sentencing with any punishment that isn't acceptable to the west, and never be punished? That really sounds rather arrogant to me. The woman could have asked the Foreign and Commonwealth office before travelling. They provide UK citizens with travel alerts, warnings and information on what to be aware of when travelling to certain parts of the world. On their page for Sudan, they include this little tidbit:

Non-Muslim women are not expected to wear a veil or cover their heads, but you should dress modestly and respect local customs and sensitivities.
If you're going to be a teacher for a bunch of Sudanese kids, the first thing you do is understand their culture and religion. It doesn't take more than half an hour to talk to the FCO and have them expound on the local customs and sensitivities.

This woman had every possible chance of knowing what kiind of punishments they have down there for these sorts of things, and every possible chance of getting to learn the culture and sensitivities of these people like she should have. As sympathetic as I am to her for having to endure such punishment, I don't really think the ignorance of her actions warrant anywhere near the kind of response you're describing. It's not like their culture is a secret to the world.
Turquoise
O Canada

mikkel wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

mikkel wrote:

So what you're saying is that any citizen of a powerful nation should be able to come to Sudan and break any law and seek out sentencing with any punishment that isn't acceptable to the west, and never be punished? That really sounds rather arrogant to me. The woman could have asked the Foreign and Commonwealth office before travelling. They provide UK citizens with travel alerts, warnings and information on what to be aware of when travelling to certain parts of the world. On their page for Sudan, they include this little tidbit:

Non-Muslim women are not expected to wear a veil or cover their heads, but you should dress modestly and respect local customs and sensitivities.
If you're going to be a teacher for a bunch of Sudanese kids, the first thing you do is understand their culture and religion. It doesn't take more than half an hour to talk to the FCO and have them expound on the local customs and sensitivities.

This woman had every possible chance of knowing what kiind of punishments they have down there for these sorts of things, and every possible chance of getting to learn the culture and sensitivities of these people like she should have. As sympathetic as I am to her for having to endure such punishment, I don't really think the ignorance of her actions warrant anywhere near the kind of response you're describing. It's not like their culture is a secret to the world.
Perhaps, it is arrogant.  I'm sorry but I just feel that the culture of the U.K. is vastly superior to that of Sudan.  I'm sure there are plenty here willing to back me up on that.

I understand what you're getting at, but this "law" of theirs is so absolutely ridiculous that I have no problem at all with foreigners defying it.  Sometimes, I think it takes defiance to change a culture.  Sudan is in amazingly shitty shape, and quite frankly, they'd be better off if a European power conquered them and Westernized them.  Granted, that would require a lot of bloodshed, but it's not like that isn't happening already.
mikkel
+383|6625

Turquoise wrote:

mikkel wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Perhaps, it is arrogant.  I'm sorry but I just feel that the culture of the U.K. is vastly superior to that of Sudan.  I'm sure there are plenty here willing to back me up on that.

I understand what you're getting at, but this "law" of theirs is so absolutely ridiculous that I have no problem at all with foreigners defying it.  Sometimes, I think it takes defiance to change a culture.  Sudan is in amazingly shitty shape, and quite frankly, they'd be better off if a European power conquered them and Westernized them.  Granted, that would require a lot of bloodshed, but it's not like that isn't happening already.
I just don't see why foreigners would even bother coming to the country if they weren't going to conform to its laws and culture.

Sudan is a hell hole, yeah, but change definitely shouldn't come from forcing the government into a position where they can't even apply the laws of their own country within their own borders. I doubt that something like that would make them more open to international pressure than they are now.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6786

Again more outrage over something so damn stupid yet not much of an outcry against beheadings and suicide attacks.
Turquoise
O Canada

mikkel wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

mikkel wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

I just don't see why foreigners would even bother coming to the country if they weren't going to conform to its laws and culture.

Sudan is a hell hole, yeah, but change definitely shouldn't come from forcing the government into a position where they can't even apply the laws of their own country within their own borders. I doubt that something like that would make them more open to international pressure than they are now.
Well, ask the immigrants who come to Europe that don't conform to the cultures they moved to.  It works both ways, but I'd rather be the one pushing rather than getting pushed.
Turquoise
O Canada

usmarine2005 wrote:

Again more outrage over something so damn stupid yet not much of an outcry against beheadings and suicide attacks.
Do you honestly believe anyone at this forum supports beheadings and suicide attacks?
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6786

Turquoise wrote:

usmarine2005 wrote:

Do you honestly believe anyone at this forum supports beheadings and suicide attacks?
I meant from the muslim community.
Turquoise
O Canada
Whoops...  Sorry about that...  lol...
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
+619|6804|Great Brown North

usmarine2005 wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

usmarine2005 wrote:

I meant from the muslim community.
the silent "majority"
mikkel
+383|6625

Turquoise wrote:

mikkel wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Well, ask the immigrants who come to Europe that don't conform to the cultures they moved to.  It works both ways, but I'd rather be the one pushing rather than getting pushed.
The point is that those immigrants are held accountable and punished under European laws, even if what they had done would be perfectly acceptable where they came from. Why shouldn't the same apply in Sudan?
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6592|Mountains of NC

I wonder how they would feel to know that I name my toilet paper --- Muhammad
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6645|London, England

SEREMAKER wrote:

They wouldn't do anything at all.

They don't know what toilet paper is.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6786

SEREMAKER wrote:

Hmmm..get a copyright on that.

I'll take a case of muhammed TP with a few boxes of koran tissue paper.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6656|949

usmarine2005 wrote:

SEREMAKER wrote:

Hmmm..get a copyright on that.

I'll take a case of muhammed TP with a few boxes of koran tissue paper.
I'm pretty sure someone beat him to it.  I know I have seen it on the internet before...in fact, I believe it was at loljesus.com
SEREVENT
MASSIVE G STAR
+605|6132|Birmingham, UK

jord wrote:

Because some people can't spell my name with a double t.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6786

"A British teacher in Sudan was convicted Thursday of the less-serious charge of insulting Islam for letting her pupils name a teddy bear "Muhammad," and was sentenced to 15 days in prison and deportation to Britain"

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071129/ap_ … sh_teacher

No muslim outrage about deportation of a foreigner.  I know why.  Because she is white.  Racist fucks.
Turquoise
O Canada

mikkel wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

mikkel wrote:

The point is that those immigrants are held accountable and punished under European laws, even if what they had done would be perfectly acceptable where they came from. Why shouldn't the same apply in Sudan?
I understand the principle you're applying here, but all I can say is this...  I'm glad they deported this British woman.  She was tossing her pearls to swine over there.  Fuck Sudan and its ridiculous laws.

I never thought I'd say this, but honestly, I'm gonna have to support intervention in countries like Sudan.  I still disagree with the Iraq war, but when a country is in as shitty shape as Sudan, somebody's gotta clean up the place, and the natives obviously are incapable of it.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard