Corsair Twin XMS 2Gig 3500LL Pro
Coolmaster Stacker 830BTX
600 Watt PS - not sure of model yet
3Com 100/1000 Nic
XFX Revolution Hardware RAID Card
4 SATA Raptors (74Gig)

Questions:
AMD FX-57 or 4800?
SATA 150 or SATA 300? (can't get the 10K in SATA 300?)
10k SATA's or 15k SCSI?
7800GTX 512 - are they on the market yet?

Thoughts on this system/my questions - please post

Leather

Last edited by Leatherface-TCM (2005-12-23 09:05:44)

psychotoxic187
+11|6702
SCSI is expensive to set up as well, and the raptors perform just as well. For gaming the fx57 is far superior. Raptors do not come in sata 300 either. the 7800gtx512 is on the market, they sell it at newegg.com, and it's a beast.
Aardcore
+60|6706|USA, Arizona
Dude yeah, I agree that's pretty good... expensive but if you've got the cash to make that Corvette-PC LOL go for it. What I'm worried about is the 7800's you chose and how anyone could actually get that thing on SLI... I've heard people do it but those things are so HUGE! How the hell they do it is beyond me (regarding the last time I've built a PC was in 2000 and have never had the time or money to ever make another one ever again).
Leatherface-TCM
The Saw is Family
+0|6814

psychotoxic187 wrote:

SCSI is expensive to set up as well, and the raptors perform just as well. For gaming the fx57 is far superior. Raptors do not come in sata 300 either. the 7800gtx512 is on the market, they sell it at newegg.com, and it's a beast.
You were the one guy that I actually wanted to hear from - have seen your other posts and can see you know your stuff.
Thanks for the info - SCSI would be $$ not only for drives but for RAID controller too.
I am in Canada but will check out newegg and see if they ship here?
As far as the SATA:
what is your opinion on SATA 150 vs. 300 and 7200 vs 10K
ie - is it best to get the 150/10k Raptors or get SATA 300/7200 drives?  I assume that shortly a 300/10K drive will be on the market?

Thanks,
psychotoxic187
+11|6702
Not sure if newegg ships there. As for 150 vs 300, SATA 300 has faster transfer rates, but 10k drives have faster seek times, so in my opinion they are pretty similar in performance. Haven't heard anything on the SATA 300 10k drives as of yet, then again never really looked. Running RAID 0 config will net you faster transfer rates and seek times, so I would recommend two raptors in raid 0 at the least. I'll do some research on the differences of the 10k SATA 150 vs. the 7200k SATA 300, performance wise.
psychotoxic187
+11|6702
From some reviews I've been reading , even though it has a slower transfer rate, the raptor is still faster. It seems as though even though they say it's 300 transfer rate, real world aps won't even reach that speed. I have seen some mention of 10k SATA 300 drives being released in due time. Tomshardware.com still rates the raptor as the fastest SATA drive on the market.
Maj.Do
+85|6745|good old CA
the two 7800 gts are that good.  dont forget cpu limited
THA
im a fucking .....well not now
+609|6763|AUS, Canberra
there is a 15,000 rpm hd out now i read somewhere, dont know anything about it though.

http://techreport.com/reviews/2003q3/at … dex.x?pg=1

there you go, i havnt read it so i dont know if it will be good or not.

Last edited by the_heart_attack (2005-12-23 16:36:31)

psychotoxic187
+11|6702
Yes, that's SCSI though not SATA.
Leatherface-TCM
The Saw is Family
+0|6814

psychotoxic187 wrote:

Not sure if newegg ships there. As for 150 vs 300, SATA 300 has faster transfer rates, but 10k drives have faster seek times, so in my opinion they are pretty similar in performance. Haven't heard anything on the SATA 300 10k drives as of yet, then again never really looked. Running RAID 0 config will net you faster transfer rates and seek times, so I would recommend two raptors in raid 0 at the least. I'll do some research on the differences of the 10k SATA 150 vs. the 7200k SATA 300, performance wise.
Thanks for the input - I will be setting up drives in a RAID 3 config. will see if this system ever becomes reality as it may just cost to much to justify (= wife will kill me:) )

Last edited by Leatherface-TCM (2005-12-23 18:21:03)

psychotoxic187
+11|6702
No problem, sounds like a really good setup.
Stoned_Smurfz
The Mushroom Man
+1|6839|Australia
im gussing your going to be running striping raid on all 4 drives? lol if so then who cares what you get either way will be ubar fast, but in saying that seek times would proberly be better for you as bandwidth wont be a problem what so ever.

Edit: woops didnt read whats raid 3? striping/mirror?
either way we got 2 Sata 300 7200rpm and they kick ass had network users copying files while playing games and couldent even notice

Last edited by Stoned_Smurfz (2005-12-23 21:09:48)

-101-InvaderZim
+42|6836|Waikato, Aotearoa
I would have to agree with smurfz. Get the SATA drives and stripe them (the 2 HDDs effectively become 1 big one, with faster read/write).
IMO SATA is better than SCSI mainly 'cos SATA is cheaper - WAY cheaper, SATA drives have more space, and more motherboards support SATA rather than SCSI.

Something like 2x300 GB 7200RPM SATA-150 RAID-0 (striped)

Apart from that, damn dude, i wish i had that system. Sounds like it will totally rock.
psychotoxic187
+11|6702
A raid 3 config, is 3 drives striped, and 1 drive acts as a dedicated parity drive. Here's a good explanation of it.

http://www.storagereview.com/guide2000/ … evel3.html
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6709
also get a good cooling case, are u running air or water cooled?, if u got the money, go for water cooling
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Leatherface-TCM
The Saw is Family
+0|6814

psychotoxic187 wrote:

A raid 3 config, is 3 drives striped, and 1 drive acts as a dedicated parity drive. Here's a good explanation of it.

http://www.storagereview.com/guide2000/ … evel3.html
Min. 3 drives - can be 2 + 1 or any higher number + 1 - limit set by controller.
I was thinking 3 + 1 but may still just go with RAID 0+1 with same number of drives.
no matter what I will be using a dedicated RAID card not the built-in contollers on the MB.
pinky_81
+1|6782|Denmark
Power Supply is CRITICAL...

I had my 500w power supply replaced with a 300w because the 500w couldn't handle the job!!!
Very Annoying I can tell you...

If you go with fans (air cooling) you should get a fan controller - I had a lot of Zalman stuff in mine, and it works great for both cpu, graphics and other coolers... The Controller looks great too if you like blue lights!!
MURPHY-D.
+0|6697
I have an 80GB RAID 0 dedicated to the OS, a 320GB RAID 0 for data (BF2 on its own partition) and a 400GB single SATA for the swap file (The rest of the drive has an invisible partition for backup/drive images).  This is all housed in a stock Dell Dimension case.  It's quite fast.  ::smile::
Azr4eL
+0|6785|Italy

Leatherface-TCM wrote:

SNIP!
Coolmaster Stacker 830BTX
SNIP
Leather
Take the 810. I have the STC-T01 and is FANTASTIC!!! A lot of space for yours 7800 and for the cooling system, and is very (VERY) quiet!!! And go for the RAID 5: best space used/performance rate.
My only doubt is: can a monster PC like this works well with a fistfull-of-bugs game like BF2??
DoH!
-_{MoW}_-Assasin
+13|6721|Australia
i want your money

Looks great!!

for the PSU tho, if you got that sorta money, go for a full kilowatt

and the 15k RPM SCSI would be fantastic if you could afford it!!

Dotn forget to deck it out with Neon tubes as i did with mine
psychotoxic187
+11|6702

-_{MoW}_-Assasin wrote:

i want your money

Looks great!!

for the PSU tho, if you got that sorta money, go for a full kilowatt

and the 15k RPM SCSI would be fantastic if you could afford it!!

Dotn forget to deck it out with Neon tubes as i did with mine
He doesn't need that much power, and you get the same performance from a raptor. So don't waste money on a SCSI drive, it's very expensive to set up.
-_{MoW}_-Assasin
+13|6721|Australia
he's got the money right?
Leatherface-TCM
The Saw is Family
+0|6814

-_{MoW}_-Assasin wrote:

Ya I do - but that is not the point here.
Just because I have it does not mean I want to blow it.
I have built a ton of computers and all I do all day is tech - so I know most of the options just wanted to get some feed back.
also - Note the title of this thread - Dream Gaming System - it is still a dream and from what I have read about the 7800 GTX 512's - they will be gone soon enough as Nvidia and ATI launch their new boards with new processing tech - so the system may stay a dream until those new cards are out!

I run SCSI at work (RAID 0 and 5) but is the gain of SCSI vs. SATA worth the price premium - that is the real question - not just blow $ for the sake of blowing it (I would also have to get a SCSI RAID controller = $$ compared to a RAID controller for 3-5 SATA raptors).

Say one other question MoW - Why do you post on every single topic?
The last 2 nights I have come into the Tech section and your name was on every post?
I read some and they were good - but some of your posts are like "suit urself" - not to bug you but posting on every single topic seems a bit much.  Thanks for some of you posts though!

Leather
the_outsider38
Microsoft Poster Child
+83|6687|Vancouver BC Canada
Wow, whats that gunna cost....
so far i have the Logitech G5.
-_{MoW}_-Assasin
+13|6721|Australia

Leatherface-TCM wrote:

-_{MoW}_-Assasin wrote:

Ya I do - but that is not the point here.
Just because I have it does not mean I want to blow it.
I have built a ton of computers and all I do all day is tech - so I know most of the options just wanted to get some feed back.
also - Note the title of this thread - Dream Gaming System - it is still a dream and from what I have read about the 7800 GTX 512's - they will be gone soon enough as Nvidia and ATI launch their new boards with new processing tech - so the system may stay a dream until those new cards are out!

I run SCSI at work (RAID 0 and 5) but is the gain of SCSI vs. SATA worth the price premium - that is the real question - not just blow $ for the sake of blowing it (I would also have to get a SCSI RAID controller = $$ compared to a RAID controller for 3-5 SATA raptors).

Say one other question MoW - Why do you post on every single topic?
The last 2 nights I have come into the Tech section and your name was on every post?
I read some and they were good - but some of your posts are like "suit urself" - not to bug you but posting on every single topic seems a bit much.  Thanks for some of you posts though!

Leather

I was very bored

and, im a complete freak, so im totally into Overclocking n stuff

Well, i cant tell you the difference between SATA and SCSI, coz i havnt used either, im still stuck with crappy ass IDE, and all my stuff is all over the place

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard