SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6129|North Tonawanda, NY

Stingray24 wrote:

Here's a thought: Who primarily drink light products?  Women.  The only ones who can bring children into the world are poisoning themselves with diet sodas in some misguided attempt to lose weight.  Regular Pepsi FTW.
Aspartame is NOT a poison.  The so-called 'evidence' claiming that it is dangerous is purely anecdotal and unproven.
jonsimon
+224|6494

SenorToenails wrote:

Stingray24 wrote:

Here's a thought: Who primarily drink light products?  Women.  The only ones who can bring children into the world are poisoning themselves with diet sodas in some misguided attempt to lose weight.  Regular Pepsi FTW.
Aspartame is NOT a poison.  The so-called 'evidence' claiming that it is dangerous is purely anecdotal and unproven.
Know why? Because no one is going to pay a team of medical scientists to conduct a study on it. The opposite in fact. The big corp that makes it will pay the FDA NOT to conduct thorough studies. You would believe in its affect if it hurt someone you love. Just like how anti-depressants didn't drive my dad into depression and destroy his hormones. Those are safe too, ya know.

Last edited by jonsimon (2007-08-05 21:30:38)

agent146
+127|6386|Jesus Land aka Canada
yes i knew that aspartmae is poison ALONG time ago ...but i am still going to drink it
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

Aspartame products taste like rotten dinosaur shit.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

jonsimon wrote:

Know why? Because no one is going to pay a team of medical scientists to conduct a study on it. The opposite in fact. The big corp that makes it will pay the FDA NOT to conduct thorough studies. You would believe in its affect if it hurt someone you love. Just like how anti-depressants didn't drive my dad into depression and destroy his hormones. Those are safe too, ya know.
Ohh.  The pity card.  As for antidepressants, different people react differently.  Maybe he should have told his doctor it wasn't working, or that he felt worse.  Maybe he should have gotten a different doctor.  Hell, no one can make him take them if they aren't working.

But hey, there are no studies.
HunterOfSkulls
Rated EC-10
+246|6279
Forget aspartame for the moment. If you have a bottle of soda available, read the ingredients. Part way down, you'll probably find an ingredient called "sodium benzoate", listed as a preservative. Guess what that breaks down into given a little time. That's right kids, benzene, a carcinogenic solvent.

Granted, I understand the whole "Everything is bad for you!" argument; that it seems every time we turn around some group of scientists or another is warning us about some foodstuff that's dangerous. But when you look at the labels of some products the fact remains that along with whatever natural components may be present, you're also consuming a chemical stew designed to prolong the shelf-life of, change the color of, or enhance the flavor of the product. The reason, of course, is profit. This is the primary concern. Health of the consumers; that is, your health, is as far down their list of priorities as it can go without putting it so low that it begins to cut into profits through lawsuits, fines and other legal sanctions.

Simply put, there's worse things you can do than keeping track of what you're putting in your body. The companies who make this shit sure as hell aren't going to do it for you; they're too busy keeping track of the money you spend on it.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

HunterOfSkulls wrote:

Forget aspartame for the moment. If you have a bottle of soda available, read the ingredients. Part way down, you'll probably find an ingredient called "sodium benzoate", listed as a preservative. Guess what that breaks down into given a little time. That's right kids, benzene, a carcinogenic solvent.
Note to self:  Do not take vitamin C tablets with a liquid containing benzoic acid.  However, the risks are small if soft drinks are consumed in moderation (as in, not a water replacement).

The key ingredients leading to the formation of benzene are ascorbic acid and benzoic acid, added in form of its salts sodium benzoate, potassium benzoate, or calcium benzoate.

Benzene in soft drinks should be seen in the context of wider environmental exposure. Taking the worst example found to date, of a soft drink containing 87.9ppb benzene, someone drinking a 500ml can would ingest 44μg (micrograms) of benzene. Whilst there is no justification for a soft drink to contain high levels of benzene ("There is a difference here between a small and unavoidable risk, and a small but avoidable risk.”), the casual consumption of such a drink is unlikely to pose a significant health hazard to a particular individual (see, for example, the EPA IRIS document on benzene). However, spread out over billions of people consuming soft drinks each day, there would be a small number of cancers caused by this exposure.
Source.

You make a good point here.  Not all chemicals are safe in combination with each other or your body.
Canadian_Sniper_X
+45|6488|Kamloops, BC Canada
I drink water... I stopped the pop a good 3 years ago. However I still occasionally have a bit of Dr. Pepper because its so f**king good.
HunterOfSkulls
Rated EC-10
+246|6279

Canadian_Sniper_X wrote:

I drink water... I stopped the pop a good 3 years ago. However I still occasionally have a bit of Dr. Pepper because its so f**king good.
Water's fine as long as you remember to filter the fuck out of it if it's coming out of your tap at home. Not just talking about city water either; far too easy these days for water table contamination to occur before you're aware of it to do anything about it. Bottled water can be good as long as you're smart about who's bottling it (ie. not a company like Pepsi bottling tapwater and claiming it's springwater).
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

HunterOfSkulls wrote:

Water's fine as long as you remember to filter the fuck out of it if it's coming out of your tap at home. Not just talking about city water either; far too easy these days for water table contamination to occur before you're aware of it to do anything about it. Bottled water can be good as long as you're smart about who's bottling it (ie. not a company like Pepsi bottling tapwater and claiming it's springwater).
Did Pepsi actually ever claim Aquafina was spring water?  I honestly don't know...but I thought it was sold as "purified water".

I don't know for sure though.  I could be thinking of Coca-Cola and Dasani...
jonsimon
+224|6494

Canadian_Sniper_X wrote:

Same here. I consume as little processed foods or chemicals as I can. Though I still have a coke or a root beer on holidays.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6648

SenorToenails wrote:

HunterOfSkulls wrote:

Did Pepsi actually ever claim Aquafina was spring water?  I honestly don't know...but I thought it was sold as "purified water".

I don't know for sure though.  I could be thinking of Coca-Cola and Dasani...
No they didn't *actually* claim that, however they wrote PTW or something like that  for Purified Tape Water (something like that, I forgot what it was exactly) claiming that the public knew what this meant. They just recently have changed this to what it actually stands for.
heggs
Spamalamadingdong
+581|6388|New York
The whole food system is fucked. However, I stay away from anything with artificial sweeteners. I try to take in natural and unprocessed stuff as much as possible.
Remember Me As A Time Of Day
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6809|Nårvei

heggs wrote:

The whole food system is fucked. However, I stay away from anything with artificial sweeteners. I try to take in natural and unprocessed stuff as much as possible.
Right on and to the point Heggs.

However there are some golden rules in life.

1. Everything can give you cancer.
2. Somethings increase the danger like tobacco, artifictial additives, blowjobs (as of late) etc etc ...
3. One don`t loose weight by drinking Coca cola light, one loose weight by don`t drinking 1,5 liters of soft drinks each day.
Wait behind the line ..............................................................

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard