JaMrulezass
+47|6466|Hong Kong
Ok, specs wise, this card blows the Ultra away, but why does it not live up to its specs?? I guess its the drivers.

So ive got a question for you guys.

Since the 2900xt is selling cheaper than the GTS right now, would it be wise to buy the 2900xt and then over time, hope ATI would fix the drivers? If ATI did have the correct drivers, the 2900 would've blown away the ultra, lets have a little comparison.

2900:                                                                        Ultra:
Stream Processors: 320                                              128
Core Clock: 740                                                         612
Memory: 512MB GDDR3/ 1GB GDDR4                          768MB
Memory Clock: 1.65/ 2.0                                             2.16
Memory Interface: 512Bit                                            384 bit

Specs wise, you can tell the 2900 wins, so what I'm asking here, is that would be a smart idea to buy the 2900XT right now because of its low price, then wait and hope that over time, ATI will fix the drivers and the specs will match up correctly with its performance?
RDMC
Enemy Wheelbarrow Spotted..!!
+736|6566|Area 51
Why not? People did it as well with the 8800 series. They bought the cards whilst the drivers were still shit.
JaMrulezass
+47|6466|Hong Kong

RDMC wrote:

Why not? People did it as well with the 8800 series. They bought the cards whilst the drivers were still shit.
What if ATI never fixes the drivers and the card never lives up to its specs? Could this happen?
Mong0ose
Will it blend?
+24|6487|UK

JaMrulezass wrote:

RDMC wrote:

What if ATI never fixes the drivers and the card never lives up to its specs? Could this happen?
unlikely as its the flagship product atm
JaMrulezass
+47|6466|Hong Kong

Mong0ose wrote:

JaMrulezass wrote:

RDMC wrote:

unlikely as its the flagship product atm
So there is a big chance that ATI will fix thier drivers and eventually the 2900 wil outperform the Ultra right? I just didnt get how it dosent despite the much better specs. Ahwell I;m going to reconsider my 8800GTX with the 1GB 2900XT. Anymore opinions guys? I really do hope ATI fixes thier drivers, this card would probably outperform the GTX by 40-50% if they did
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6495|N. Ireland
Yes. The ATI is cheaper than the GTS (some of them, anyway!) and its actual specs seem to be under-performing. I'm sure they are working on drivers at the minute, and they have the potential to still blow nVidia back to 2nd place!

Last edited by leetkyle (2007-08-05 04:29:27)

JaMrulezass
+47|6466|Hong Kong

leetkyle wrote:

Yes. The ATI is cheaper than the GTS and its actual specs seem to be under-performing. I'm sure they are working on drivers at the minute, and they have the potential to still blow nVidia back to 2nd place!
Thats wat I hope but one more thing, can a 750W psu, max 850w handle 2900CF?
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6495|N. Ireland
The X1 and X2 series use a lot of power - but a 750W would be able to handle one of them.. yes!
JaMrulezass
+47|6466|Hong Kong

leetkyle wrote:

The X1 and X2 series use a lot of power - but a 750W would be able to handle one of them.. yes!
Thanks a lot, I'm gunna reconsider my Video Card, 8800GTX/2900XT
JaMrulezass
+47|6466|Hong Kong
COULD THIS BE THE END?????? 2900XT OUTPERFORMS 8800GTX IN CRYSI BY QUITE A LOT!!!! http://www.bilgiustam.com/?p=125
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6757|Scotland

JaMrulezass wrote:

COULD THIS BE THE END?????? 2900XT OUTPERFORMS 8800GTX IN CRYSI BY QUITE A LOT!!!! http://www.bilgiustam.com/?p=125
DX10 hasn't been finished. It could go the other way once DX10 is perfected.

Really depends. It also only beats the GTX by quite a lot when the AA is turned off. When it is turned on there is a max of 6 FPS diff.
Bell
Frosties > Cornflakes
+362|6551|UK

Your comparison is flawed, u cant just put two cards from different manufacturers together like that to work out what is best, it isnt like comparing say, a BMW to a Mercedes.........

The cards approch things differently, if the ATI card was as clearly better as the first post would have us believe, why would the ultra have the title as fastest GPU in the world

http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php … ;card2=518

Theres your comparison, it depends on what games you wanna play

Martyn
7h3647h32in6
+0|6724
I don't think the 2900XT will ever outperform the Ultra because the XT's architecture is supposedly shit.

Check [H]ardforums though for a better opinion.

Last edited by 7h3647h32in6 (2007-08-05 07:40:46)

rubber.sex
Banned
+32|6114|London UK
2900XT blow chunks, did anyone ever the image quality test vs the ultra in 1600x1200 both the image quality and the AA sucks on that card.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6583|SE London

The 2900XT is a bit of a confusing release. So many different cards (well, 3, I think) with totally different performance, all called the same thing. It's a stupid marketing move.

The version with 1GB of DDR4 is the one worth looking at. I would still favour an 8800GTX in most circumstances, but in quite a few tests the 2900XT does seem to have the edge.
Sup3r_Dr4gon
Boat sig is not there anymore
+214|6328|Australia
What card would work better for BF2 - the 1GB 2900 or an 8800GTX?
The#1Spot
+105|6541|byah

leetkyle wrote:

Yes. The ATI is cheaper than the GTS (some of them, anyway!) and its actual specs seem to be under-performing. I'm sure they are working on drivers at the minute, and they have the potential to still blow nVidia back to 2nd place!
1 video card cant move a company down 1 position. Nvidia has had the market since around this time last year and it would probable take 2 years of luck for it to probable happen.
The#1Spot
+105|6541|byah

JaMrulezass wrote:

Ok, specs wise, this card blows the Ultra away, but why does it not live up to its specs?? I guess its the drivers.

Since the 2900xt is selling cheaper than the GTS right now, would it be wise to buy the 2900xt and then over time, hope ATI would fix the drivers? If ATI did have the correct drivers, the 2900 would've blown away the ultra, lets have a little comparison.

2900:                                                                        Ultra:

Specs wise, you can tell the 2900 wins, so what I'm asking here, is that would be a smart idea to buy the 2900XT right now because of its low price, then wait and hope that over time, ATI will fix the drivers and the specs will match up correctly with its performance?
Numbers are worthless if you cant put the power to the ground
theknuck
It's pronounced Knuck, like in Knuckle!!
+45|6613|balls
wow, i was expecting some major flamage from the hardcore nvidia fans!!!!  i honestly don't know the answer to your question, but i've haven't heard nearly enough good thoughts about ATI than Nvidia.  i'd personally, and went with the safe bet.  nvidia.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6718
I heard it's something related to the ROP.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Canterwood
+4|6521|Canada

JaMrulezass wrote:

The problem with the specs your looking at, is they are incomplete.  The 2900xt does have 320 stream processors, but only running at 743 MHz.  While the 8800gts has only 96@ 1.1 GHz and I think the ultra is [email protected] GHz.

Last edited by Canterwood (2007-08-06 07:51:39)

Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6737|Salt Lake City

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

I heard it's something related to the ROP.
I would say it is fill rate limited against the NV products.  Developers just haven't moved on to truly pushing the shaders.  In terms of shader performance the ATi would hand the current NV cards their ass.  However, the shaders are not that heavily used, and pixel fill rate is still very important.  With only 16 pixel pipes and 16 ROPs, the ATi just can't compete, even with a pretty good clock speed lead.
Dauntless
Admin
+2,249|6744|London

Does anyone have any reviews/benchmarks from the 8800 when it was released and the drivers were new? I've looked but can only find fairly recent reviews with benchmarks from newer drivers.

theknuck wrote:

wow, i was expecting some major flamage from the hardcore nvidia fans!!!!  i honestly don't know the answer to your question, but i've haven't heard nearly enough good thoughts about ATI than Nvidia.  i'd personally, and went with the safe bet.  nvidia.
Same here, but only mr. nubins (james aka rubbersex) did.
https://imgur.com/kXTNQ8D.png

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard