cryptofcolumbus
+18|6224|Eugene, OR
When I was shopping at my local grocery store, I came upon an advertisement in their bakery department promoting their new fruit pies.  The sign was fairly large, maybe 3 feet by 2 feet, and it read "Safeway has the 'Berry best' pies for summer."  Below the text were pictures of various pies they were selling.  At first I chucked, quite loudly actually, at this humorous advert.  It made me want to buy a delicious pie.  After taking a few seconds to reflect upon my thoughts I was shocked and horrified when I realized they real nature of the purpose of the ad.  I was, and still am, truly appalled at the fact that Safeway would openly mock children with speech impediments in an attempt to sell their pies.  Clearly they were intending to convince to the many mothers who shop in their stores that children would loves their pies "berry much."
     Now, I consider myself to a friend of the disabled.  When I see a person in a wheelchair, I always approach them and say kindly, "I know you're not disabled on the inside."  When I see a blind person I never hold the door for them, or help them cross the street, because I know their only disability is the distrust society casts upon them.
     So as a FotD (Friend of the Disabled) as I like to call myself, when I realized the intent of this advert I immediately asked to speak to the manager and voiced my concern very clearly.  He agreed to take the sign down immediately.  Do you all agree with my completely disgust at the Safeway Corporation for using and abusing the disabled to sell their (mediocre) products.  If you do I suggest you write a letter of complaint to their corporate office.  Thank you on behalf of the disabled.  CoC (FotD)
some_random_panda
Flamesuit essential
+454|6399

?

EDIT:  Personally, I think you're taking it a little too seriously.

And I doubt they actually changed every advertisement in the state because of that.

Last edited by some_random_panda (2007-08-05 02:53:36)

~FuzZz~
.yag era uoy fi siht deaR
+422|6331|Orrstrayleea
LOL! +1......Oh...wait were you being serious?
Skruples
Mod Incarnate
+234|6709
Safeway uses a homonym and you jump to the conclusion that they're making fun of disabled people? It sounds like you're the one with a problem, not them.
cryptofcolumbus
+18|6224|Eugene, OR

Pea....Tear.....Griffen wrote:

Of course.  Do you think I would take the time or emotional stress to relieve all that if I wasn't being genuine?
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6630|London, England
No not really. It's called a pun, or a metaphor, or simile, or whatever the fuck. Not a jab against people with speech impediments. That's going abit far...
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6162|what

Top of the Muffin to you!
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
lavadisk
I am a cat ¦ 3
+369|6839|Denver colorado
I can't believe that!

Your a great citizen for speaking up against these cruel acts that the corporate swine might try and pass up as "advertising"
~FuzZz~
.yag era uoy fi siht deaR
+422|6331|Orrstrayleea

cryptofcolumbus wrote:

Pea....Tear.....Griffen wrote:

Of course.  Do you think I would take the time or emotional stress to relieve all that if I wasn't being genuine?
Ok then, i really dont think that they were making fun of disabled kids. You need to take it easy.
daffytag
cheese-it!
+104|6584
Its still polite to hold doors open for people. If they are blind or not.

I don't think the sign was that bad. News papers do this all the time.
Pacman
+0|6273|UK
So.....did you buy a pie or not??
mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6730|Sydney, Australia
Umm...

"Berry best", in my mind, is just a play on words by the safeway marketing team. It is harmless because the pies were fruit pies... they most likely had berries in them.
Noobeater
Northern numpty
+194|6456|Boulder, CO
It depends on quite what they meant by berry best, if they meant that it was just the best for fruit (in particular berries) and they decided to use that play on words to show that then its fine, if it is meant to be taking the mic then i'd ask someone with a speach impediment what they think about it first, though generally i don't mind it though thats just my opinion. it just depends on what the context of it is i think

Last edited by Noobeater (2007-08-05 02:55:22)

rambo43
Banned
+35|6232
Oh grow up
maniacmattie
Karma Whore.. LOL
+27|6310

Skruples wrote:

Safeway uses a homonym and you jump to the conclusion that they're making fun of disabled people? It sounds like you're the one with a problem, not them.
Thats exactly what I'm thinking, why would a bakery want to make fun of disabled people anyway?
Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6448|King Of The Islands

maniacmattie wrote:

Skruples wrote:

Thats exactly what I'm thinking, why would a bakery want to make fun of disabled people anyway?
To sell pies! Delicious un-PC pies!
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
nonexistentusmc
+26|6454|Queens, NYC
I don't know if it is all that serious. I think they are just trying to sell a product. You see that kinda stuff all the time everywhere. I don't think it is taking advantage of anything. It's just there to catch the customers eye, just like it did yours. Maybe not in the way they wanted to, but it did anyway. I'm pretty sure they were just implying that there's a lot of good "berry" in the pie, and not picking on little kids "speech impediments". That's my two cents.
mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6730|Sydney, Australia

cryptofcolumbus wrote:

When I see a person in a wheelchair, I always approach them and say kindly, "I know you're not disabled on the inside."  ... friend of the Disabled, as I like to call myself
If I was confined to a wheel chair, I would still like to be treated as an equal. I would resent that statement, as it sounds patronising.
some_random_panda
Flamesuit essential
+454|6399

cryptofcolumbus wrote:

lavadisk wrote:

I can't believe that!

Your a great citizen for speaking up against these cruel acts that the corporate swine might try and pass up as "advertising"
Thanks, you are really nice.  Please karma me if you agree with my cause so I can put you in my book of supporters.
I believe that he was using another technique of our language, namely sarcasm.

mcminty wrote:

cryptofcolumbus wrote:

When I see a person in a wheelchair, I always approach them and say kindly, "I know you're not disabled on the inside."  ... friend of the Disabled, as I like to call myself
If I was confined to a wheel chair, I would still like to be treated as an equal. I would resent that statement, as it sounds patronising.
Yes, I'd probably hit someone who said that to me.

Last edited by some_random_panda (2007-08-05 02:59:09)

cryptofcolumbus
+18|6224|Eugene, OR

Pacman wrote:

So.....did you buy a pie or not??
Yes.  But I complained first.
cryptofcolumbus
+18|6224|Eugene, OR

mcminty wrote:

cryptofcolumbus wrote:

Are you disabled?  Are you a FotD?
Reject_Wolf
Former Karkand Addict
+32|6592|Windsor, Ontario, Canada
This is a berry bad topic.
cryptofcolumbus
+18|6224|Eugene, OR

Reject_Wolf wrote:

omg!  you.... are mean
Fenris_GreyClaw
Real Хорошо
+826|6528|Adelaide, South Australia

It was just a simple play on words, something their advertising team must consider extremely witty. In no way did I view that ad as insulting to people with speech impediments.

TheAussieReaper wrote:

Top of the Muffin to you!
some_random_panda
Flamesuit essential
+454|6399

cryptofcolumbus wrote:

Reject_Wolf wrote:

omg!  you.... are mean
If you stay here a few more months, you'll learn that we are all rather mean.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard