KnifeyBoy
+5|6123
in my computer i have 2 256MB DDR2 ram cards and i purchased a 1GB DDR2 card and it is being shipped.
i have 2 ram banks can i have my 1GB in one bank and my 2 256MBs in the other bank and still run better
Hurricane
Banned
+1,153|6638|Washington, DC

I'm assuming by "RAM bank" you mean those pairs of slots where the RAM goes? If so yes your RAM should run fine. I don't know about better, but you'll have more RAM which tends to help with performance.
KnifeyBoy
+5|6123
yea and thanks
Hurricane
Banned

KnifeyBoy wrote:

yea and thanks
Oh, just FYI, if for some reason you have issues starting up you want your ram in this order

[][][][]

Those are the four RAM slots

[256][1GB][256][]

That *should* work if for some reason you have issues.
claor
+39|6422|Australia
if your old RAM is shitter then the 1GB you just ordered your 1gb will be slown down, so you might be better off only using the 1gb
more info on the RAM is needed
Hurricane
Banned

claor wrote:

if your old RAM is shitter then the 1GB you just ordered your 1gb will be slown down, so you might be better off only using the 1gb
more info on the RAM is needed
Yes. If you combine, say, PC2600 RAM with PC3200, the PC3200 will run slower.
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6773|Cambridge (UK)
Whether they will work together depends on several factors, but, primarily what motherboard you have.

Some motherboards do not allow you to mix RAM sizes/types/speeds. The easiest way to find out is to try it and see.

You may need to try different combinations of which RAM module you put in which slot.

I'll assume you have your 256's in slots 1 and 3, thus:

[256][---][256][---]

First download memtest86 and test you current RAM (to make sure that any issues aren't being caused by it).

Now, install the 1GB DIMM into the first spare slot (slot 2), thus:

[256][1GB][256][---]

Test with memtest again.

If you get errors, try the other free slot (slot 4), thus:

[256][---][256][1GB]

Test with memtest again.

If you still get errors try moving the 256's over to the 2nd bank and put the 1GB in the first slot, thus:

[1GB][256][---][256]

Test with memtest again.

If that still doesn't work, try the 1GB in slot 3, thus:

[---][256][1GB][256]

Test with memtest again.

Then, if you still have errors, remove the 256s completely and put the 1GB back into slot 1, thus:

[1GB][---][---][---]

Test with memtest again.

If it still doesn't work, the 1GB module is faulty, but hopefully you'll not get this far before finding a stable set-up.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard