rabid1rr
+0|6693
Hello First post,

I am in need of some assistance please. I recently upgraded to a new SB Audigy 2 ZS, eVGA 7800 GTX W/ACS3 PCI Express 256MB DDR3, 500W Ultra X-connect PSU, and Thermaltake Dream Tsunami w/side window. Only problem is once I installed these new items the machine died after about 1 day of use. The only thing I got to do on it was reload all my programs and install drivers. I think its the mobo and am looking for another one. Which one will be an upgrade in terms of stability and overclocking from a DFI NF4 ULTRA INFINITY mobo? rest of machine spec below.
I have been looking at Abit, Gigabyte, MSI, DFI and ASUS. All seem to have their own inherent problems. I want to find the one with the least amount of problems to deal with that still permits decent OC'ing and a good list of features. At this moment I am not looking into SLI because by the time I am ready for another video card there will be a new top dog. By then I will be building a new machine anyway so I can upgrade to SLI then.

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ skt 939 oc'd to 2.2Ghz, stock cooling
Hitachi Deskstar 80GB Serial ATA II 7200RPM, programs
Liteon SOHW-1693S 16X DVD Dual Drive
Corsair TWINX1024-3200C2PT 2GB DDR400 XMS3200 Dual-Channel
Maxtor 300GB EIDE HD 7200/16MB/ATA-133, data storage
Logitech MX 518 gaming mouse
Saitek Cyborg EVO joystick

Please help! I miss my BF2, FEAR, and COD2.
Landepaukku
Finnish bush-man
+23|6829|Finland
Well you ought the check the cooling and the power supply atleast...
uk.solidsnake
+3|6699|England, UK
Epox or Asus.

I can recommend the Epox EP-9NPA+ Ultra motherboard if you are not looking for SLi, it's fantastic.
eusgen
Nugget
+402|6784|Jupiter
Yes, check powersupply cause maybe you fried it with all the new addons.
rabid1rr
+0|6693
Thank You uk.solidsnake for answering my question directly.

With x-mas vacation coverage Im raking in the OT at work.  I gave in to time and resource constraints.  I took the pc to a repair shop to confirm my initial findings.  Thank you for suggesting that I check the PSU.  Would a brand new PSU just fry after only 1 day of use?  Wouldn't I have noticed the issue as soon as I booted it up the first time with the new PSU?  And besides that I did install the old PSU and it wouldn't boot with that configuration either.  However that may be due to the new components needing too much wattage.  That is why I upgraded the PSU after all.  Those 7800 GTX cards from eVGA just suck up the juice.
-_{MoW}_-Assasin
+13|6720|Australia
DFI ALL the way, overclocker's dream

Get the Lanparty UT NF4 Ultra-D or the Lanparty NF4 SLi-DR (i got that) or the Lanparty UT NF4-SLi-DR Expert
chitlin
Banned
+36|6754
well i dont know about that specific psu but watts arent a general benchmark .. you can find a 350 that outdoes a 500 if one is quality while the other is shit..

its definitely possible to blow from one use if its a cheap psu and alot of componenets connected to it.. but if it isnt cheap and it really is fried then you should get your money back.. maybe either way you should get your money back but if you paid anywhere near 100 bucks you deserve your money back . that is if its fried ..

so what did the repair dude say ?
rabid1rr
+0|6693

chitlin wrote:

well i dont know about that specific psu but watts arent a general benchmark .. you can find a 350 that outdoes a 500 if one is quality while the other is shit..

its definitely possible to blow from one use if its a cheap psu and alot of componenets connected to it.. but if it isnt cheap and it really is fried then you should get your money back.. maybe either way you should get your money back but if you paid anywhere near 100 bucks you deserve your money back . that is if its fried ..

so what did the repair dude say ?
Its my motherboard!  I am sending it back with RMA to DFI.  I am replacing it with an ASUS A8N-SLI and new CPU an AMD64 3700+.  That way once I get some ram I will have two gaming systems.  Wattage is a big determination in performance.  My components all together wouldn't have enough power on a 350 watt PSU.  They draw too much current for that PSU.  Especially on startup with everything at max draw.
i.e. Watts = Amps x Volts.  Just because you spend more doesn't always mean you get more.  A bit of research will show that for most PSU's.  Branding and visual appeal are a big part of market pricing.

Last edited by rabid1rr (2005-12-31 12:38:30)

|DKP|Butter
+2|6687|Chicago

-_{MoW}_-Assasin wrote:

Get the Lanparty UT NF4 Ultra-D or the Lanparty NF4 SLi-DR (i got that) or the Lanparty UT NF4-SLi-DR Expert
Don't listen to anyone else...  Assasin is 100% correct.  Asus and other makers suck for gaming if you ever expect to over clock or utilize peripherals full potential.  Lanparty/DFI makes the best boards for what you’re looking for.  Get rid of that Corsair crap and gwt OCZ ram for over clocking ram.

Trust me...  Orkan, my clan leader does this shit to EXTREAM... he has been featured on [H]ardOC site many times.  Below is a link to his recent endeavors...

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php … ight=Orkan
chitlin
Banned
+36|6754
i.e. Watts = Amps x Volts.  Just because you spend more doesn't always mean you get more.  A bit of research will show that for most PSU's.  Branding and visual appeal are a big part of market pricing.
i only meant that theres a differenece between an adveristed watt and the actual watt performance. just like in an amplifier something may say 350 or 500 or w/e but only push a much lower number than that .. i dont know off the top of my head any good brands but im sure theres some good ones out there that give actual performance what they advertise and i think theres a high current section that allways pushes the wattage they advertise
-_{MoW}_-Assasin
+13|6720|Australia

|DKP|Butter wrote:

-_{MoW}_-Assasin wrote:

Don't listen to anyone else...  Assasin is 100% correct.  Asus and other makers suck for gaming if you ever expect to over clock or utilize peripherals full potential.  Lanparty/DFI makes the best boards for what you’re looking for.  Get rid of that Corsair crap and gwt OCZ ram for over clocking ram.

Trust me...  Orkan, my clan leader does this shit to EXTREAM... he has been featured on [H]ardOC site many times.  Below is a link to his recent endeavors...

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php … ight=Orkan
bah, i do better
rabid1rr
+0|6693
I think someone missed my post.  I am getting the ASUS A8N-SLI Premium.  I do not want another DFI product at this time.  I have had no good luck with the DFI mobo and overclocking.  Part may be due to my ram but I don't care at this point.  The bios wouldn't let me change the dividers to overclock properly.  I am pissed that the damn mobo died and will not buy from them again after all this.  Thank you for your suggestions.  My new mobo is on its way so I will let you know how it is.   

Chitlin,

You are speaking of VRMS, I believe.  The advertised wattage is normally a peak reading as a standard.  Yes you are correct that the advertised wattage is not always the true output wattage.  I don't make my selections based upon a need for peak advertised wattage at all times.  I like to leave an overhead for peak draw and startup spikes.  I think I understand what you speak of now.
-_{MoW}_-Assasin
+13|6720|Australia
suit urself
aib73412
+0|6721|im from idaho but liven in MD
i recommend the ASUS P5N32 SLI DELUX OR THE ASUS A8N32 SLI DELUX  BUILT FOR EXTREME GAMING AND IS VERY USER FRIENDLY FOR OVERCLOCKING MY OTHER RECOMENDATION READ ALL THE FORUMS AND REVIEWS YOU POSSIBLY CAN THAT WHAT I DID FOR ABOUT A MONTH AND HALF AND I LIKE THESE TWO BOARDS BECAUSE THE PCI EXPRESS SLOTS FOR YOUR VIDEO CARD STAY 16 BIT REGARDLESS OF THE CONFIGURATION IF YOU WANT SLI CONFIG THEN IT MAKE ITS TOTAL BIT 32 TO INSTEAD OF 16 ALL TOGETHER , THE P5N32 YOU CAN DROP 16 GIG OR RAM TOTAL IN IT, NOT THAT YOU NEED ALL THAT RAM IT SUPPORTS DUAL CORE PROCESSING AILIFE HAS SOME FEATURES ON IT THAT I HAVE HEARD NOTHING BUT GOOD REVIEWS MY GAMING EXPERIANCE IS AWESOME WITH IT . SOON AS THE 7800GT 512 COMES DOWN IN PRICE WILL BUY 2 OF THOSE FOR MY GAMING . ANYWAYS THAT WHAT I THINK IF YOU LIKE SOMETHING ELSE GOOD FOR YOU

Last edited by aib73412 (2006-01-04 19:07:34)

-_{MoW}_-Assasin
+13|6720|Australia
well, ok, DFI isnt n00b friendly, you must understand it and stuff first, if you buy DFI, you will hate it until you learn it

ASUS is easy for Jump Starters

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard