Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6412|North Carolina
I think you meant to put a "can't" in there rather than a "can."

Anyway, I would agree with you lowing.  Our methods are certainly more humane.

More importantly though, they're WAY more expensive.  I'd prefer we did hangings and firing squads, mostly because they're cheaper.

I know that sounds kind of crass, but seriously, did these murderers care if they were being humane?
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6297|Éire

lowing wrote:

Braddock wrote:

lowing wrote:

1. no the suffering is the anticipation of death from the time he is sentenced to the second he dies. That is the punishment.

2. This is true, but I only condone the death sentence when it goes beyond a reasonable doubt and must carry a completely WITHOUT a doubt. DNA seems to be the key to accomplishing that.

3. We will have to disagree with this. I think it shows that society will not tolerate criminal behavior. I am not talking about public executions or some blood bath spectacle like in the ME.( which you did try to compare the US to and I find way off base)
I am not vehemently opposed to the death penalty in certain scenarios. I'd be hypocritical to try and say I was, if someone raped my girlfriend or (hypothetical) daughter I myself would kill the person if I got a hold of them and so if you could put them in a dock in front of me and prove beyond doubt that he was the perpetrator, in my heart I would have no difficulty with him receiving the death penalty ...we're probably on (almost) common ground here.

I think you're splitting hairs by saying the Middle Eastern techniques are more brutal or bloodthirsty than the US. To me it's all the same, it's cold hearted execution. You can do it in the street with a few thousand watching or in a gallows with a hundred watching from the gallery, it's the same end result. It is this primitivism that makes me feel more inclined towards not having the death penalty.

But like I said, if I (heaven forbid) found myself in a scenario where I was the victim I might feel differently.
You honestly can see the difference between being strapped to a gurney and having a doctor "put you to sleep" as opposed to lopping your head off in a public square in front of 1000 cheering spectators??

I admit the end result is the same but come on.
The injection is not as bad the chair, I'll give you that. By that merit though why would a hardened killer be afraid of drifting off to sleep as a way of dying, seems like an easy way to check out to me.

Do any States still use the chair? That's a gruesome way to do the job, and they had public viewings for those once upon a time did they not?
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6658|USA

Braddock wrote:

lowing wrote:

Braddock wrote:

I am not vehemently opposed to the death penalty in certain scenarios. I'd be hypocritical to try and say I was, if someone raped my girlfriend or (hypothetical) daughter I myself would kill the person if I got a hold of them and so if you could put them in a dock in front of me and prove beyond doubt that he was the perpetrator, in my heart I would have no difficulty with him receiving the death penalty ...we're probably on (almost) common ground here.

I think you're splitting hairs by saying the Middle Eastern techniques are more brutal or bloodthirsty than the US. To me it's all the same, it's cold hearted execution. You can do it in the street with a few thousand watching or in a gallows with a hundred watching from the gallery, it's the same end result. It is this primitivism that makes me feel more inclined towards not having the death penalty.

But like I said, if I (heaven forbid) found myself in a scenario where I was the victim I might feel differently.
You honestly can see the difference between being strapped to a gurney and having a doctor "put you to sleep" as opposed to lopping your head off in a public square in front of 1000 cheering spectators??

I admit the end result is the same but come on.
The injection is not as bad the chair, I'll give you that. By that merit though why would a hardened killer be afraid of drifting off to sleep as a way of dying, seems like an easy way to check out to me.

Do any States still use the chair? That's a gruesome way to do the job, and they had public viewings for those once upon a time did they not?
I can tell ya I wouldn't be too thrilled with any way they decided to kill me, but hey, that is just me.

I am not sure who still uses the chair if any, but as far as spectators in the viewing room I think it was restricted to those involved in the case, family members of both victim and criminal and reporters. Although I could be wrong. ( but probably not, I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken).
west-phoenix-az
Guns don't kill people. . . joe bidens advice does
+632|6396
There was an interesting show on A&E or Biography last night called "The Execution of Michael Johnson".
It was about the events that lead up to the execution. Had a bit of a twist at the end before the execution.
https://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p123/west-phoenix-az/BF2S/bf2s_sig_9mmbrass.jpg

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard