SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6132|North Tonawanda, NY

Skruples wrote:

Come on creationists. Bring your A game, and let's see why you think creationism is a valid scientific theory.
They can't, because the Steves don't lie.

Project Steve wrote:

The list of Steves is far more prestigious than any list of living scientists the creationists have ever produced. It includes Nobel Prize winners, members of the National Academy of Sciences, and influential authors such as Stephen Hawking. It is telling that creationist lists tend to be lean on practicing research biologists. In contrast, about two-thirds of the scientists on NCSE's list are biologists, who are the most qualified to evaluate whether the evidence favors evolution. Another point is that the NCSE's list includes the information on where the Steves got their degrees and their current position. By not doing so, the creationist lists do not make it obvious how many of the people listed are not practicing scientists.
Skruples
Mod Incarnate
+234|6702

SenorToenails wrote:

Skruples wrote:

Come on creationists. Bring your A game, and let's see why you think creationism is a valid scientific theory.
They can't, because the Steves don't lie.

Project Steve wrote:

The list of Steves is far more prestigious than any list of living scientists the creationists have ever produced. It includes Nobel Prize winners, members of the National Academy of Sciences, and influential authors such as Stephen Hawking. It is telling that creationist lists tend to be lean on practicing research biologists. In contrast, about two-thirds of the scientists on NCSE's list are biologists, who are the most qualified to evaluate whether the evidence favors evolution. Another point is that the NCSE's list includes the information on where the Steves got their degrees and their current position. By not doing so, the creationist lists do not make it obvious how many of the people listed are not practicing scientists.
Clearly a vast, godless left-wing conspiracy designed to squelch true creation science.
Zefar
+116|6651|Sweden
There is another thing to, if it took the almighty god 7 WHOLE days to create earth, how long would it take to create the billions of billions of planets and stars out there in the universum?

Think of that one creationism people.
DK_GunSlinger
+1|6542|Texas

Protecus wrote:

SGT.Mays wrote:

Fuck evolutuion, till you can prove that cromagnum man wasnt just a retard that fell into a tarpit while the smarter humans didnt.

I love people that are atheists if you dont care or believe in a God why does it bug you so much when someone else does?
You feel threatened by the fact you may be wrong or are you just trying to save our souls?
I honestly think that, as a person with no religion, I am one of the few truly tolerant people when it comes to a religion. The chances of me blowing you up or yelling that your god is wrong compared to my god are quite slim, considering I don't have a god.

However, I do have a problem with people trying to cram their beliefs down my throat.

As far as feeling threatened, au contrair. I'm not the one that's part of a group that has to  catch 'em while their young and talk them into believing. Or talk them into faith while they're on death row.

There are no evangelical scientists or missionary biologists.

They are called teachers
So what exactly are you saying about teachers?
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6407|North Carolina
Well, I think this thread demonstrates exactly why education should be privatized in America.

A more rational nation would not even have this debate between evolution and creationism, because evolution has a much more realistic basis than creationism.

Given the fundamentalism that exists in our dysfunctional society, I'd prefer that we privatize the market so that the religious nuts can have their own schools while the rest of us can actually learn science.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6583|SE London

Turquoise wrote:

Well, I think this thread demonstrates exactly why education should be privatized in America.

A more rational nation would not even have this debate between evolution and creationism, because evolution has a much more realistic basis than creationism.

Given the fundamentalism that exists in our dysfunctional society, I'd prefer that we privatize the market so that the religious nuts can have their own schools while the rest of us can actually learn science.
That's a bad idea. Why should the children of religious nutters not have access to education about evolution. Even if they are prejudiced by stupid religious parents who don't believe in evolution, they should still be exposed to it and not have anyone legitimising this creationist nonsense.

I think it's a disgrace that a highly developed country like the US should even be contemplating seriously teaching creationism to anyone. It's almost on a par with the medieval educational practices under the Taliban. Allowing religion to directly influence the teaching of science is absurd.
Turquoise
O Canada

Bertster7 wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

That's a bad idea. Why should the children of religious nutters not have access to education about evolution. Even if they are prejudiced by stupid religious parents who don't believe in evolution, they should still be exposed to it and not have anyone legitimising this creationist nonsense.

I think it's a disgrace that a highly developed country like the US should even be contemplating seriously teaching creationism to anyone. It's almost on a par with the medieval educational practices under the Taliban. Allowing religion to directly influence the teaching of science is absurd.
I would agree, but here's another weakness in our culture...

The dark side of living in a free country is that you are free to be ignorant here because of the Constitution.  While it is a necessary freedom to be able to make your own mistakes and live with them, problems occur when enough people are ignorant.

To put this in perspective, most research shows that roughly half of Americans believe in creationism.  Scary shit, eh?  We're about on the same level of Turkey in this respect.  Islamic societies are some of the few that are more adamant about creationism than we are.

Because of the predominance of ignorance here, we continually face burdens in our public education systems.  The state of Kansas, for example, narrowly reversed a decision that would have made creationism officially part of the school curriculum (and would have replaced evolution).

So, the question is...  If enough people believe in something, should it become part of the school curriculum due to popular demand?  Most of the time, American principles would support this move.

Personally, I think this popular consent idea is starting to show its disadvantages....
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6583|SE London

Turquoise wrote:

To put this in perspective, most research shows that roughly half of Americans believe in creationism.  Scary shit, eh?  We're about on the same level of Turkey in this respect.  Islamic societies are some of the few that are more adamant about creationism than we are.
Are you serious?

Is America that backwards?
mikkel
+383|6603

theDunadan wrote:

How can you explain matter from nothing? (notice: rhetorical) We can hardly comprehend absolute nothingness. Think about it: nothing. Not even darkness. No space; nothing. Infinitely. Then what? Boom! There's matter out of absolute nothing. I dunno. Either way you look at it, it's amazing. Miraculous! I, for one, believe in science and evolution (read on); I believe that things can evolve and adapt. *BUT* I believe in a creator; one who created everything: science, evolution, matter, everything. Yes, I believe in God. Though, don't get me wrong. I don't claim to understand it all; that would be rather foolish. I must say, though, that "religion" often gives the wrong idea. Some "religious" people I've known have been the worst people I've ever known. And many atrocities have been committed in the name of "religion." I understand that. I understand how very tainted it is: both peoples' views of "religion" and "religion" in itself, but, regardless of "religion", I believe in God and can see no reason not to. I see no reason why it should be harder to believe that God exists than to believe that matter came from absolute nothingness.
I don't understand scientifically-minded people who look to religion to explain the beginnings of the universe, when it poses exactly the same questions. What was before God? According to religion, God was a catalyst, but according to science, so was the Big Bang. There must have existed -something- before either. Even if you don't believe that something existed before God, then is it not just as likely that nothing existed before the Big Bang?

You're stuck precisely where you were before, only instead of following through with your convictions, you've capped off a world view defined by science with a creationist view defined by religion, with the only change being that you now have an ambivalent and fundamentally incompatible collection of beliefs.

If you look to religion from science, or to science from religion, to answer the question of what was before the most distant times you can comprehend, you aren't going to get any definite answers. Neither know.
Turquoise
O Canada

Bertster7 wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Are you serious?

When it comes to religion.... YES.

I live in one of the most religious states in the country, so you can imagine how awkward I feel....

I'm not sure why America is as fundamentalist as it is, but it does give you an idea of why our social policies are often rather...  Third World, shall we say?...

On a more personal note, I work with a number of people who are creationist.  Don't get me wrong; they're still nice people who seem intelligent in most other respects, but I just don't get their religious views.

It's like they've been brainwashed by tradition, but I guess that's true of most of humanity.  Tradition really is the mother of oppression...  and ignorance.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6583|SE London

mikkel wrote:

theDunadan wrote:

How can you explain matter from nothing? (notice: rhetorical) We can hardly comprehend absolute nothingness. Think about it: nothing. Not even darkness. No space; nothing. Infinitely. Then what? Boom! There's matter out of absolute nothing. I dunno. Either way you look at it, it's amazing. Miraculous! I, for one, believe in science and evolution (read on); I believe that things can evolve and adapt. *BUT* I believe in a creator; one who created everything: science, evolution, matter, everything. Yes, I believe in God. Though, don't get me wrong. I don't claim to understand it all; that would be rather foolish. I must say, though, that "religion" often gives the wrong idea. Some "religious" people I've known have been the worst people I've ever known. And many atrocities have been committed in the name of "religion." I understand that. I understand how very tainted it is: both peoples' views of "religion" and "religion" in itself, but, regardless of "religion", I believe in God and can see no reason not to. I see no reason why it should be harder to believe that God exists than to believe that matter came from absolute nothingness.
I don't understand scientifically-minded people who look to religion to explain the beginnings of the universe, when it poses exactly the same questions. What was before God? According to religion, God was a catalyst, but according to science, so was the Big Bang. There must have existed -something- before either. Even if you don't believe that something existed before God, then is it not just as likely that nothing existed before the Big Bang?

You're stuck precisely where you were before, only instead of following through with your convictions, you've capped off a world view defined by science with a creationist view defined by religion, with the only change being that you now have an ambivalent and fundamentally incompatible collection of beliefs.

If you look to religion from science, or to science from religion, to answer the question of what was before the most distant times you can comprehend, you aren't going to get any definite answers. Neither know.
But you're looking at the issue logically.

Religion isn't bound by logic, which is how it can make such ludicrous assertions. It is also why it has no place in the classroom outside of the area of theological study, which is in no way compatible with science or any other subjects rooted in logic.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6623|London, England
The countryside of all countries are backwards. It's when you get large cities that seem extremely backwards that you have a problem. No offence to country folk. Not all of them are backwards. But you get what I mean.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6583|SE London

Turquoise wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Are you serious?

When it comes to religion.... YES.

I live in one of the most religious states in the country, so you can imagine how awkward I feel....

I'm not sure why America is as fundamentalist as it is, but it does give you an idea of why our social policies are often rather...  Third World, shall we say?...

On a more personal note, I work with a number of people who are creationist.  Don't get me wrong; they're still nice people who seem intelligent in most other respects, but I just don't get their religious views.

It's like they've been brainwashed by tradition, but I guess that's true of most of humanity.  Tradition really is the mother of oppression...  and ignorance.
Wow.

Scary.
mikkel
+383|6603

Bertster7 wrote:

mikkel wrote:

theDunadan wrote:

Religion isn't bound by logic, which is how it can make such ludicrous assertions. It is also why it has no place in the classroom outside of the area of theological study, which is in no way compatible with science or any other subjects rooted in logic.
I'm not looking at the issue logically. I'm specifically commenting on people looking to religion to explain what was "before". Not even religion explains that, so it's a silly justification to take the easy way out.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6583|SE London

mikkel wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

mikkel wrote:

I'm not looking at the issue logically. I'm specifically commenting on people looking to religion to explain what was "before". Not even religion explains that, so it's a silly justification to take the easy way out.
But that's the whole point. With religion you can just say God has always been. So didn't need to be created. They ignore the entire watchmaker analogy thing completely.

Though science could do pretty much the same thing, because since time and space are linked, before space existed there would be no time, so the universe has always existed - at least since the beginning of time.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

Bertster7 wrote:

Wow.

Scary.
In defense of my country, 50% of people may believe in "creationism", but not necessarily the concept of young earth creationism.  That is a tiny minority of truly backwards people.  Most of creationism believers are the intelligent design folk or the other forms of creationism, which are a lot less dangerous.  Still, it shouldn't be taught in public schools.  Besides, 50% of the country is not fighting to have creationism taught in public school.  Its much like how a large percentage of the country believes in angels or miracles -- it doesn't automatically make them irrational.

I don't care if people believe that god created the world.  Its a lot easier to understand than the scientific reason and it offers comfort.  Do people really want to live through life thinking there is no higher purpose?  Many times people have religion as a way to give life a purpose, and to ease the idea that after death, there is nothing.  Creationism is a belief that goes along with that.  People don't want to think that they were the product of evolution from a primordial ooze.  They would much rather think that some supreme being made humans in his image.  That is not a justification but an explanation.

People who want creationism taught in public schools are NOT the silent majority, but a very noisy minority -- in most places.
Turquoise
O Canada

SenorToenails wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Wow.

Scary.
In defense of my country, 50% of people may believe in "creationism", but not necessarily the concept of young earth creationism.  That is a tiny minority of truly backwards people.  Most of creationism believers are the intelligent design folk or the other forms of creationism, which are a lot less dangerous.  Still, it shouldn't be taught in public schools.  Besides, 50% of the country is not fighting to have creationism taught in public school.  Its much like how a large percentage of the country believes in angels or miracles -- it doesn't automatically make them irrational.

I don't care if people believe that god created the world.  Its a lot easier to understand than the scientific reason and it offers comfort.  Do people really want to live through life thinking there is no higher purpose?  Many times people have religion as a way to give life a purpose, and to ease the idea that after death, there is nothing.  Creationism is a belief that goes along with that.  People don't want to think that they were the product of evolution from a primordial ooze.  They would much rather think that some supreme being made humans in his image.  That is not a justification but an explanation.

People who want creationism taught in public schools are NOT the silent majority, but a very noisy minority -- in most places.
Good points...  There are different forms of creationism that I should've explained better.

Unfortunately, I actually do know some "young Earth" types.

Whatever the case, I just hope this noisy minority doesn't destroy our education system further, and again, I'm starting to feel like privatization is the better option.

In response to what Bertster said earlier, by American principles, children are essentially the property of their parents.  Therefore, they are free to send their kids to schools that only teach creationism (a few actually exist).  It is sad that this means some kids would miss out on important information by privatizing things, but I'd prefer that over making all children have to suffer under the constant annoyances of the religious.
mikkel
+383|6603

Bertster7 wrote:

mikkel wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

But that's the whole point. With religion you can just say God has always been. So didn't need to be created. They ignore the entire watchmaker analogy thing completely.

Though science could do pretty much the same thing, because since time and space are linked, before space existed there would be no time, so the universe has always existed - at least since the beginning of time.
That's not the point. If you're looking for an explanation of what was "before", there's absolutely no sense in adopting a belief that doesn't actually explain it. If you're just looking for something to explain it, science has a few offerings of its own, like your own example. There's no sense in hopping between the two.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6583|SE London

Turquoise wrote:

SenorToenails wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Wow.

Scary.

Good points...  There are different forms of creationism that I should've explained better.

Whatever the case, I just hope this noisy minority doesn't destroy our education system further, and again, I'm starting to feel like privatization is the better option.

In response to what Bertster said earlier, by American principles, children are essentially the property of their parents.  Therefore, they are free to send their kids to schools that only teach creationism (a few actually exist).  It is sad that this means some kids would miss out on important information by privatizing things, but I'd prefer that over making all children have to suffer under the constant annoyances of the religious.
Don't you have a national curriculum? One that requires all accredited schools to teach evolution? That's how the issue is dealt with here. Even specially set up religious schools, like the Emmanuel Schools Foundation are required to teach evolution, no matter what the parents think of it, or what the teachers in the school think of it.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

Turquoise wrote:

Heh.  I knew a few of those myself.  Fossil evidence is a trick perpetrated by the devil.  Duh!

Still, I doubt privatization is an optimal solution.  One of the reasons is that some people will never be able to afford private education, and therefore the government mandate that kids remain in school until 16 (I think its 16, but it may vary depending on state) would be ridiculous.  No matter how cheap something is, someone will either refuse to pay or not have the cash.  Then, who decides the curriculum for those private schools?  You can't please everyone.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

Bertster7 wrote:

Don't you have a national curriculum? One that requires all accredited schools to teach evolution? That's how the issue is dealt with here. Even specially set up religious schools, like the Emmanuel Schools Foundation are required to teach evolution, no matter what the parents think of it, or what the teachers in the school think of it.
No.

Some states have a state-wide curriculum (like New York) with state-set standards.  They are laughably low.  New York does not have this problem though.
Turquoise
O Canada

Bertster7 wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Sort of...  We have national accrediting standards for colleges, but not really for education before that.

At lower levels of education, we have state enforced education standards, but they vary widely depending on the state.  Some states have high standards (usually the ones with more money and better systems in general), but others are rather lax.  When it comes to pre-collegiate education, NC is pretty far down the list of most reputable education systems.  We have good state colleges, but that's probably due to better funding and management.

Since pre-collegiate education is largely funded by local governments, the quality of education greatly depends on the city or county you live in.  Thankfully, Guilford County (the one I live in) is one of the best in the state.  So, by the time I got to college, I was well prepared.  Other kids in other areas weren't so lucky....

State standards for pre-collegiate education in NC mostly consist of a test that each grade takes at the end of the school year that is primarily focused on math and English.  Some of the material is science and history, but (at least when I took these tests back in the 90s) there wasn't really any evolution content.  I don't know if this was intentional or not.  Either way, my classes obviously taught evolution, but I guess there was technically no requirement to teach it.
Turquoise
O Canada

SenorToenails wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Heh.  I knew a few of those myself.  Fossil evidence is a trick perpetrated by the devil.  Duh!

Still, I doubt privatization is an optimal solution.  One of the reasons is that some people will never be able to afford private education, and therefore the government mandate that kids remain in school until 16 (I think its 16, but it may vary depending on state) would be ridiculous.  No matter how cheap something is, someone will either refuse to pay or not have the cash.  Then, who decides the curriculum for those private schools?  You can't please everyone.
The school vouchers idea is supposed to be a transitional policy that would allow time for more affordable markets in private education to develop.  This is why I support school vouchers, but I can see how it might not work as planned.
-101-InvaderZim
+42|6845|Waikato, Aotearoa

mcminty wrote:

some_random_panda wrote:

In Australia we just skip the whole evolution/creation thing .  You should follow suit.
Or if we delve into the issue, we do science in science classes, and religion in religion class.

These texans are a fucking joke.
Word

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard