PsycoCheerio
+2|6729|Marysville, Washington
Anyone using an LCD TV that is 23" or larger and has any comments on the performance in gaming, how pixelated does it really look, most 32" I've seen state that the native resolution is only 1366x768 which is terrible, and i can't imagine that making the resolution as high as it gets could even making it look as good as the old 17" I'm using now.

My reason for asking about a larger LCD TV is because i am looking at getting an Xbox 360 and i need a TV that i could use with rock band so it has to be of a decent size at least...

Anything you have to comment on or any help you can give is much appreciated.

If anyone uses a large TV as a monitor and would be so kind as to post any screens that would be nice too...

Last edited by PsycoCheerio (2007-07-24 07:21:07)

buLLet_t00th
Mr. Boombastic
+178|6434|Stealth City, UK
So are you talking solely about gaming on an XBox 360?
PsycoCheerio
The gaming on my PC is my concern, i can't see it to be anywhere as good looking as even my 17". 

I can live with the small monitor but i would like to be able to kill two birds with one stone and get a large monitor and a TV all in one...
buLLet_t00th
Mr. Boombastic
Well you can get a good 22" monitor with 1680x1050 and a good TV card (or cable card in the US) and you'll be set for both. You just need a cable with a DVI converter on the end for your xBox to work on the monitor.

Depends on how much money you have.

Last edited by buLLet_t00th (2007-07-24 07:22:54)

PsycoCheerio
I have a tuner card for TV in my computer right now, but i don't know if 22" will be large enough to play Rock band on with 4 players since that is the main reason I am getting the X360.

I was looking at around $600 for the TV...that i think is right now my limit...

Last edited by PsycoCheerio (2007-07-24 07:24:12)

buLLet_t00th
Mr. Boombastic

PsycoCheerio wrote:

I have a tuner card for TV in my computer right now, but i don't know if 22" will be large enough to play Rock band on with 4 players since that is the main reason I am getting the X360.

I was looking at around $600 for the TV...that i think is right now my limit...
Using the 32" TV on your PC wont be terrible, it just wont be amzing. It would help if you had a good graphics card which would compensate for the lack of pixels by making it look 'pretty'.

Last edited by buLLet_t00th (2007-07-24 07:25:53)

PsycoCheerio
Right now i have a 7900 GT which i think should at least work ok for the older games, but I figure the issue will come with Crysis...
buLLet_t00th
Mr. Boombastic

PsycoCheerio wrote:

Right now i have a 7900 GT which i think should at least work ok for the older games, but I figure the issue will come with Crysis...
If I were you I'd get the TV for the xBox as a 32" TV looks amazing with it.

You can get a pretty good 19" monitor for your PC for next to nothing, so try the TV out with your PC see if its anygood, and then you can think about the 19" monitor later.
SteikeTa
+153|6740|Norway/Norwegen/ Norge/Noruega
For a while I was using my 50" LG tv on my computer
PsycoCheerio
Alright, guess i have to go do some testing and a little more research then...
buLLet_t00th
Mr. Boombastic

SteikeTa wrote:

Have you been following the thread? It doesn't matter how big it is, the resolution is the important bit. A 19" monitor will probably look better than that big TV.
Twist
Too old to be doing this sh*t
+103|6515|Little blue planet, milky way
Main problem with using a TV for gaming is that as you may have noticed... TV's (even HDTVs) have very poor resolution. That's because you don't really NEED high-res for fast moving, high color, low contrast images. However, games are NONE of those things, so you DO need higher res.
You'll also notice that the update timings (esecially color change) is MUCH lower on your TV, this also reduces the enjoyment of using the TV. Additionally, the default 1360x800 or  something to that effect, is not exactly a prime candidate for a native res for ANY GPU or monitor, so some games and hardware will HATE this res and run ultimately slow. And changing to 1024x768 is NOT recommended, as this will "compress" the image a LOT.

However, for the things that WILL work, it's actually quite enjoyable.... Kinda like an Xbox or PS3 experience.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6573|SE London

Gaming does look very good on 1080p TVs, if your GPU can output a sufficient resolution and keep up a decent frame rate.

But that's a bit pricey.
SteikeTa
+153|6740|Norway/Norwegen/ Norge/Noruega

buLLet_t00th wrote:

SteikeTa wrote:

Have you been following the thread? It doesn't matter how big it is, the resolution is the important bit. A 19" monitor will probably look better than that big TV.
Did you even read what I wrote? I just said that I used it for a while. Never said it was better or worse now did I?? Damn.... I answered the question.

"Anyone using a large TV as a monitor???"
PsycoCheerio

buLLet_t00th wrote:

PsycoCheerio wrote:

If I were you I'd get the TV for the xBox as a 32" TV looks amazing with it.

You can get a pretty good 19" monitor for your PC for next to nothing, so try the TV out with your PC see if its anygood, and then you can think about the 19" monitor later.
That i think is the way I'm looking at, i have a friend who said he would buy my 17" to help me get a TV if it would suffice as a new monitor...

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard