Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6539|San Diego, CA, USA
Environmentalists note that animals, especially cows, produce alot of Methane Gas.  Methane Gas is probably the worst Greenhouse gas, worst than Carbon Dioxide or Carbon Monoxide.

If we grew our meat in a petri disk instead of growing cows, would that solve our problem?

I envision in a few years that we will have toaster-sized growers in our kitchen where the night before we put a small cartridge of the type of meat we want and come back a day later with a steak.

EDIT: Source: Researchers Aim To Grow Meat In Test Tube

Do a simple Google search on "grow meat"

Last edited by Harmor (2007-07-22 22:11:40)

Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6757|UK
I have an alternate question.

Are you really that stupid?

Sorry for being so blunt but the methane that animals produce compared with the amount of CO2 we pump out is nominal.
mcgid1
Meh...
+129|6707|Austin, TX/San Antonio, TX
Interesting idea, but I think the harder part will be getting people to eat it once they've heard where it came from.

And I don't think that this will help with the enviro-nuts either since they're most likely going to see this method as some sort of an abomination and crime against nature, among other things.
CommieChipmunk
+488|6561|Portland, OR, USA

mcgid1 wrote:

Interesting idea, but I think the harder part will be getting people to eat it once they've heard where it came from.

And I don't think that this will help with the enviro-nuts either since they're most likely going to see this method as some sort of an abomination and crime against nature, among other things.
lol, petri dish... or dead animal. hmm
N.A.T.O
The People’s Champion
+59|6431|A drop house
What the hell do we do with all the cows then?
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6539|San Diego, CA, USA

N.A.T.O wrote:

Eat them.  Yum.
mcgid1
Meh...
+129|6707|Austin, TX/San Antonio, TX

CommieChipmunk wrote:

mcgid1 wrote:

I see your point, but still...the petri dish option would bring a whole new meaning to the phrase "mystery meat".
N.A.T.O
The People’s Champion
+59|6431|A drop house

Harmor wrote:

N.A.T.O wrote:

Eat them.  Yum.
So kill all the cows, grow steak in dish. lol P.E.T.A will love that.
agent146
+127|6377|Jesus Land aka Canada

Vilham wrote:

Sorry for being so blunt but the methane that animals produce compared with the amount of CO2 we pump out is nominal.
ya thats true..... but ehh ehh we should have the cows wear a "cattleyst" ..........LOL ........for your chemisty geeks.
CommieChipmunk
+488|6561|Portland, OR, USA

mcgid1 wrote:

CommieChipmunk wrote:

mcgid1 wrote:

I see your point, but still...the petri dish option would bring a whole new meaning to the phrase "mystery meat".
yeah.. but I wouldn't have to be a vegetarian anymore
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
+619|6771|Great Brown North

CommieChipmunk wrote:

mcgid1 wrote:

CommieChipmunk wrote:

why do you have to be one now?
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6656|NT, like Mick Dundee

CommieChipmunk wrote:

mcgid1 wrote:

CommieChipmunk wrote:

Lolwtf Commie? You have vegetarianism? When did you catch that?
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6459

CommieChipmunk wrote:

mcgid1 wrote:

CommieChipmunk wrote:

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=grill
Comrade Ogilvy
+7|6121
Plot synopsis

Set in the year 2022, Soylent Green depicts a dystopia, a Malthusian catastrophe that occurs because humanity has failed to pursue sustainable development and has not halted uncontrolled population growth; New York City's population is 40,000,000, with more than half of it unemployed. Global warming, air and water pollution have produced a year-round heatwave and a thin, yellow, daytime smog. Food and fuel are scarce resources because of animal and plant decimation, housing is dilapidated and overcrowded, and widespread government-sponsored euthanasia is encouraged to control and reduce overpopulation.

Meat, bread, cheese, fruit, vegetables, and even alcoholic beverages are scarce and extremely expensive; for example, a six-ounce jar of strawberry jam is 150 "Ds" (US Dollars). Like the soylent food factories, the farms producing foodstuffs are heavily guarded and off-limits to civilians. For most of the populace, natural foods are a rarely, if ever, enjoyed luxury. The government dispenses rations of synthetic food — soylent yellow, soylent red — made by the Soylent Corporation; their newest and most popular version, soylent green, is made from plankton, according to the food firm.

Soylent's food products are mostly distributed as brightly colored crackers which may be eaten with margarine, although they are also seen being sold as bread-like buns and in crumb form. The word "soylent" is a portmanteau combining soybean and lentil (cheap, very high-yield crops).[citation needed]

Specific Soylent products are distributed to the populace on different days of the week, yet even then those supplies are limited and there is much competition among people to get their rations early. The competition is such that if the supply is exhausted, rioting for food is common. To deal with this problem, the distribution centers are heavily guarded by police who deal with rioters very heavy-handedly, using "scoops" — half-loader, half-garbage truck vehicles which scoop up rioters and dump them in rear storage units; such callous, violent treatment is presumably fatal to some rioters.

In contrast, the rich elite live in spacious apartments, with regular access to real food, tobacco, and alcohol, though even then they often are of poor quality. Some of the rich can even afford "furniture", the film's term for concubines economically attached to the apartments.

Robert Thorn, (Charlton Heston), is a New York City police detective investigating the murder of William R. Simonson (Joseph Cotten), a director of the Soylent Corporation. Thorn lives with his aged "police book" partner Sol Roth (Edward G. Robinson) in a one-room tenement apartment. Long before, Sol was a college professor, but now is employed as a police researcher. Unlike most people in A.D. 2022, including Thorn, Sol received a formal education and is literate; education of any sort is available only to the wealthy elite. Sol and people such as he are known as "books", because real books are out of print, as there is no wood for paper, along with electricity, water, food, and printing press shortages.

During his investigation of Simonson's murder, Thorn slowly uncovers a conspiracy, centered around the Soylent corporation. When the dispirited Sol opts for euthanasia, Thorn forcibly follows him, and makes two shocking discoveries. First, he sees motion pictures of the beautiful Earth of former times, shown only to those being euthanised, which brings him to tears. Second, after Thorne is unable to stop Sol's death, he follows the disposal of Sol's body to a heavily guarded waste-management plant, and discovers that Soylent green is made from the recycled cadavers brought in from the government-sponsored euthanasia centers. This leads to his famous outcry, "Soylent Green is people!"
Comrade Ogilvy
+7|6121
Steve Miller Band:Living In The USA

Stand back, stand back
Stand back, stand back

Stand back, stand back
Stand back, stand back

Doot do do do do doot doot
Living in the U.S.A.
Living in the U.S.A.

Where are you goin' to
What are you gonna do
Do you think that it will be easy
Do you think that it will be pleasin', hey

Stand back, what'd you say
Stand back, I won't pay
Stand back, I'd rather play
Stand back

It's my freedom
Ah, don't worry 'bout me, babe
I got to be free, babe
Hey

Living in the U.S.A.
Living in the U.S.A.

Stand back, dietician
Stand back, television
Stand back, politician
Stand back, mortician

Oh, we got to get away
Living in the U.S.A.
Come on baby, Owwww

I see a yellow man, a brown man
A white man, a red man
Lookin' for Uncle Sam
To give you a helpin' hand
But everybody's kickin' sand
Even politicians
We're living in a plastic land
Somebody give me a hand, yeah

Oh, we're gonna make it, baby
Oh, we're going to shake it, baby
Oh, don't break it
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah

Come on baby, hey
Hey, hey
In the U.S.A., babe yeah

Living in the U.S.A.
Don't worry 'bout me, babe
Living in the U.S.A.
Living in the U.S.A.
Living in the U.S.A.
I got to be free
Living in the U.S.A.
Come on try it, you can buy it, you can leave it next week, yeah
Somebody give me a cheeseburger
wah1188
You orrible caaaaaaan't
+321|6451|UK

agent146 wrote:

Vilham wrote:

ya thats true..... but ehh ehh we should have the cows wear a "cattleyst" ..........LOL ........for your chemisty geeks.
Lol
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6396|North Carolina

Harmor wrote:

Environmentalists note that animals, especially cows, produce alot of Methane Gas.  Methane Gas is probably the worst Greenhouse gas, worst than Carbon Dioxide or Carbon Monoxide.

If we grew our meat in a petri disk instead of growing cows, would that solve our problem?

I envision in a few years that we will have toaster-sized growers in our kitchen where the night before we put a small cartridge of the type of meat we want and come back a day later with a steak.
Um...  please pass me whatever you've been smoking.  I could really use some right about now.

Anyway, if we really gave a shit about greenhouse gases, we'd focus regulation on power plant emissions.  That's probably not going to happen though.
Comrade Ogilvy
+7|6121
Anyway, if we really gave a shit about greenhouse gases, we'd focus regulation on power plant emissions.  That's probably not going to happen though.

What ever happened to no emissions...nuke plants?...damn the greens killed that back in the 70`s.."SO IT GOES!!!!
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6396|North Carolina
I hear ya man...  Canada has proven that nuclear power is safe, affordable, and clean.
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6656|NT, like Mick Dundee

Comrade Ogilvy wrote:

What ever happened to no emissions...nuke plants?...damn the greens killed that back in the 70`s.."SO IT GOES!!!!
You're forgetting, countries try and develop nuclear tech for power...

Then get accused of lying about what they are doing with it... :rollseyes:

Now, I know the likelyhood of Iran getting nuclear tech for weapons is high, but if the USA didn't go around threatening countries that do maybe we would see it more widespread.

That and the nuclear power process is far from emissionless...
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
RoosterCantrell
Goodbye :)
+399|6471|Somewhere else

The idea of growing meat in a petri dish is pretty far fetched, its kinda undebatable.

Cold Fusion is much more plausible and realistic.   THen the emissions once created from energy production would be cut down much more than any collection of cowfarts.
Comrade Ogilvy
+7|6121

Flecco wrote:

Comrade Ogilvy wrote:

Now, I know the likelyhood of Iran getting nuclear tech for weapons is high, but if the USA didn't go around threatening countries that do maybe we would see it more widespread.

Iran having nukes for peaceful  purposes is like "Hauling Coals To Newcastle"....in an oil rich country it has no reason....but one.

Last edited by Comrade Ogilvy (2007-07-22 19:42:48)

PureFodder
+225|6276

Comrade Ogilvy wrote:

Flecco wrote:

Comrade Ogilvy wrote:

Iran having nukes for peaceful  purposes is like "Hauling Coals To Newcastle"....in an oil rich country it has no reason....but one.
From the Iranian point of view it does have a purpose. It seems that having nukes is the only thing that will stop the USA from invading them. It's a tactic that certainly worked for N.Korea.
weerdfoo1
Banned
+26|6156|California
interesting idea, but in order for something to grow in a petri dish, it has to be alive, and if it is alive, it will still produce C)2 and methane, so either way, it doesn't work out.
PureFodder
+225|6276

weerdfoo1 wrote:

interesting idea, but in order for something to grow in a petri dish, it has to be alive, and if it is alive, it will still produce C)2 and methane, so either way, it doesn't work out.
But as an immobile hunk of flesh it won't be expending anywhere near as much energy as a live animal would, hence there will be far fewer emmissions per tonne of meat made

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard