Are you a Christian?

I would like to be 50% 50% - 157 50% 50% - 157
I don't want anything to do with that! 55% 55% - 174 44% 44% - 140
Total: 314
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,977|6792|949

kr@cker wrote:

I've never seen anyone forced to pray in a school, therefore it is not a law forcing someone to participate,
Agreed.  The law says no law shall be made respecting a religion.  Prayer is based in religion, right?  A public school, by recieving tax money, is an arm of the government.

kr@cker wrote:

no prayer in schools = denial the free excercis thereof,
There is no law NOT allowing prayer in schools, only that it cannot be sanctioned.

kr@cker wrote:

the term "make no law respecting the establishment of religion" is in reference to the church of england, everyone has the right not to participate,
No, there is no reference to the church of England when this civil liberty was thought of.  It was the founding fathers using hindsight to assess religion in government (one example was the Church of England, another was the Holy Roman Empire).  Many of our country's founders expressed concern over religion and government, and had differing opinions on the scope of the civil law they were going to create.
captain_itchy_pants
+13|6736
I will tell them. And no I am not their teacher, their mother is. I teach them art.
ashleyhall
+15|6843|Somerset
You sure have it all wrong. Christians do use Logic, Reason and Observation
LOL, and yet you still believe in something written in a book without a scrap of evidence to backup big invisible floating geezers?? I think you need help...

This shit should NOT be taught in schools, why teach something thats simply the opinion of an author (of the best seller 'Bible'), why not just tell them that Superman's a real superhero making the world a better place?
captain_itchy_pants
+13|6736
hahahahahaha, I guess I do. So when we are called to meet our maker and he asks you why didnt you believe his words, what then? Well, God, I guess I just followed the norm and believed you didnt exsist. Sorry to hear that Ashley......off you go.

L8R
ashleyhall
+15|6843|Somerset

captain_itchy_pants wrote:

hahahahahaha, I guess I do. So when we are called to meet our maker and he asks you why didnt you believe his words, what then? Well, God, I guess I just followed the norm and believed you didnt exsist. Sorry to hear that Ashley......off you go.

L8R
LOL laughing at the fact that you believe you'll meet 'your maker'...frankly I think you're screwed in the head!! HE DOES NOT EXIST you idiot, grow up mate and smell the coffee.

Last time I heard, my parents made me...

I think its SAD that you lot respect two fictionary characters (this God bloke and Jesus) in some cases MORE so than your own family/kids?? Its just not right, completely mental...
captain_itchy_pants
+13|6736
Wow callin me name is harsh. I havent called you anything Mate! Maybe I am screwed in the head...so what. He EXSISTS to me and there have been times in my life when I have seen his hand in guiding me to the choices and the directions I have made. Yes you are right your parents made you and your grandparents made them and infinity, but God had a hand in it and I dont believe we came from goo and monkeys. There are too many amazing things (childbirth being one of them) on this earth to prove he does exsist.

I may be mental but then again, to me you are completely mental. I think it is soo sad that you DONT believe in those "blokes".
ashleyhall
+15|6843|Somerset
He EXSISTS to me and there have been times in my life when I have seen his hand in guiding me to the choices and the directions I have made.
My point proven, belief in such non-existance is for those without the ability to guide themselves, listen to their loved ones, use their own life experience - get a life mate, get real and 'see the light' LOL!!

There are too many amazing things (childbirth being one of them) on this earth to prove he does exsist.
You really amaze me, have you not heard of sex?? God has NOTHING to do with any such process, its a man + woman relationship!!! Its Science, its proven, its fact!! You cannot debate it nor persuade ANYONE with half a brain that its ANYTHING to do with some fictionary characters in some twisted fantasy tale!!!!!

Amazed, seriously amazed at just how lost you religious folk are!!
Skruples
Mod Incarnate
+234|6861
I'm still waiting on that 'evolution is a lie' evidence, itchy.
JaMDuDe
+69|6938
Skruples if you want some good evidence against evolution i suggest you get Icons of Evolution.
Skruples
Mod Incarnate
+234|6861
The author of which works at the discovery institute. I'll take that with a grain of salt...

I also found this website in about 3 minutes of googling that book.
JaMDuDe
+69|6938
Here is his response.
konfusion
mostly afk
+480|6710|CH/BR - in UK

Marconius wrote:

Hmm...the last time I checked, I wasn't being forced to recite a mandatory Wiccan chant or Muslim prayer in my morning classes back in public high school.  Prayer is fine...pray whenever the hell you want in school.  Just don't make everyone else do it with you.
agreed... it's even worse than the pledge of allegiance in primary school, where no one actually gets what they're saying...
konfusion
mostly afk
+480|6710|CH/BR - in UK

kr@cker wrote:

I've never seen anyone forced to pray in a school, you are asked to, in a nondenominational prayer (my graduation prayer was actually delivered by XXXX patel, a Indian Hindu, and I live in the middle of confederate country) that allows everyone to pray to babaji, Jehovah, jebus, gaia, whatever, therefore it is not a law forcing someone to participate, no prayer in schools = denial the free excercis thereof, you have a football game, you have the potential for injury, you have the right to pray for protection, you do not have the right to force someone else to pray, when was the last time you saw security tackle someone for not bowing their head in the opening prayers of say......a nascar race (last sporting event I can think of that I saw a public prayer), I myself use this time as a way to get a good spot in the concession line, the term "make no law respecting the establishment of religion" is in reference to the church of england, everyone has the right not to participate, but this is being perverted into people thinking that they have the right to take away someone else's ability to display their religious symbols, me, I have major issues with god, I say fuck him for some things that have happened to my family, but I'm not going to prevent someone from observing their religious practices
I was forced to pray, actually, and I had religion classes (only christianity) where the teacher tried to force religion into our minds...
ATC
+58|6904|...

Marconius wrote:

My condolences for your kids, especially if you are the one teaching them...
give the guy a break its none of ur business if he wants his kids homeschooled then thats his problem not urs.
kr@cker
Bringin' Sexy Back!
+581|6710|Southeastern USA

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

kr@cker wrote:

I've never seen anyone forced to pray in a school, therefore it is not a law forcing someone to participate,
Agreed.  The law says no law shall be made respecting a religion.  Prayer is based in religion, right?  A public school, by recieving tax money, is an arm of the government.
perhaps I should have written that allowing someone to practice is not the same as forcing it, and I was trying to say the same as you on the other two points, I almost had a heat stroke at work today, didn't have many brain cells to work with from the start
konfusion
mostly afk
+480|6710|CH/BR - in UK

Aslan_the_Creator wrote:

Marconius wrote:

My condolences for your kids, especially if you are the one teaching them...
give the guy a break its none of ur business if he wants his kids homeschooled then thats his problem not urs.
agreed. That is none of our business. His other statements, however, offended me, seeing as I am still going to school. He insulted my intelligence: I have neither experienced any of his listed "downsides", nor heard anything from friends or colleagues (excuse my spelling)...
Please excuse me for defending the school system.
Anfidurl
Use the bumper, that's what its for!
+103|6753|Lexington, Kentucky

kr@cker wrote:

I almost had a heat stroke at work today, didn't have many brain cells to work with from the start
Heh. We've all been there buddy. (At least with the brain cell part.)
konfusion
mostly afk
+480|6710|CH/BR - in UK

Anfidurl wrote:

kr@cker wrote:

I almost had a heat stroke at work today, didn't have many brain cells to work with from the start
Heh. We've all been there buddy. (At least with the brain cell part.)
nope, no work for me
I still go to school, so... VACATION!!!! I just finished to weeks of construction for my summer job (really a pain) and now I'm just having fun and making sigs.
Skruples
Mod Incarnate
+234|6861

JaMDuDe wrote:

Here is his response.
I read most of that article, and Wells is indeed a good writer. However, he's not blowing my mind with his analysis of the flaws in evolution. There are many rebuttals to his rebuttal, this is the one I found most informative:
http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/wells/iconob.html#ftn4

More later, I'm out of time.
JaMDuDe
+69|6938
The book is 6 years old, there are probably plenty of "rebuttals" by now. I chose to believe him and not talkorigins who tell people what they want to hear instead of the truth.
Marconius
One-eyed Wonder Mod
+368|6854|San Francisco
MOG Disciple
+8|6679|Wisconsin

captain_itchy_pants wrote:

My kids are homeschooled.
I was and I turned out ok.  Well at least I think so.
I know some of you might not think so.  Sorry I was sick there for a bit.  But I'm back now.
MOG Disciple
+8|6679|Wisconsin
This is GREAT 22 pages I love this.
konfusion
mostly afk
+480|6710|CH/BR - in UK

lol...can't believe we've already gotten this far
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6835|Canberra, AUS

cyborg_pirate wrote:

.:XDR:.PureFodder wrote:

cyborg_pirate wrote:

but neither is evolution science really...and i think that person was just using religion as an "expression"
yos <3
Evolution is a scietific theory. It is backed up by lots of evidence. All evolution says on the subject of a creator is that there is nothing to suggest there is one. The way scientific theory works is, if there's nothing to indicate something does exist, it is assumed not to exist.

Creation is backed up by no evidence at all and just begs the question, who created the creator?
neither is evolution backed up by evidence..cuz really...the evidence that they have now need other ones to prove them right..but they can't find it..a.nd so actaully..both doesn't have any evidence..but here...if u believe that the almighty God created the earth...it actually does make a lil sense..cuz the bible came from dead sea scrolls from a long long time ago...
yo's
Of course there isn't any evidence IF YOU DON'T LOOK FOR IT. I could as easily say gold doesn't exist, because I haven't seen any - cause I haven't looked.

Anyway, one of my old posts, which is my complete (so far) rebuttal to 'creationism'. (btw, I was talking to jamdude at the time):

Spark wrote:

Are you retarded? Or didn't you hear me saying that 'I won't dispute the bible's account of Jesus'?

Isn't it funny that almost EVERY NATURAL PHENOMENON can be explained by the theories of:

Evolution.
Plate tectonics.
Relativity.
Chaos Theory/Quantum mechanics.

And can you give me A DATE for creation? You're saying that humans lived for either 6000, 10000. 2 million of 20 million years. Make up your fucking mind!

And how do you explain cyanobacteria fossils? Don't tell me they are not real - they are real and can be seen ONLY at shark bay. Why only there? Because the predators that fed on them didn't adapt to very saline conditions, that's why.

How do you explain bacteria evolving IN THE LAB? Why are there 'strains' of bacteria - some less than 50 years old? Why are we afraid of bird flu developing human-to-human capabilities? If God created H5N1 so it COULDN'T - why are we afraid it can? Why are we seeing that this virus is the same strain as the one that developed in the 1910's - killing 50 million AT LEAST? WHY AREN'T THEY IDENTICAL?

Is it a coincidence that cows need a diet low in copper - and come from copper-poor areas (Europe)? Is it a coincidence that sheep need a copper-high diet - and come from copper rich areas (Middle Asia)? Why, then, did God say to raise them side-by-side, even though they have vastly different dietary requirements? What explanation do you have for this? God put them there and they just adapted to the conditions? That's called evolution.

How can you explain earthquakes, volcanoes etc. WITHOUT plate tectonics? Isn't it a bit strange that creationists try to debase the theory, then use it to debase another theory? How do you explain sea-floor spreading, AND weird 'strips' of polar reversal? How do you explain subduction?

How come every time we move to a new place, discover new land - the local wildife is demolished? Shouldn't God have known that humans would spread around the world - especially as HE was the one who did it in the first place! What better explanation do you have apart from the one that they had never been in contact with humans - so didn't develop defences afainst them?

Is it a coincidence that our tolerance for rare earth AND trace elements is EXACTLY PROPORTIONAL to the amount that is exposed to us? Is it God's work that we need a little selenium, but no lead? Isn't it strange that all of these new, man-made elements are toxic to us AT ALL LEVELS - but God must've knew they were possible! After all, he WROTE the laws of physics! Or did the 'laws of physics' evolve into such - so to speak - as most astrophysicists would say?

How do you explain bacteria that break down chemical materials - none of which are of the slightest use to them? Did God just make it so they can eat it - for no reason whatsoever?

If Genesis is correct, then the oldest human remains should be found either in the middle-east or northwest Africa. But hangon! The oldest remains were found in the RIFT VALLEY - a long way away.

And why would they NEED cities? Why do they NEED agriculture - it is much easier to pick up berries, hunt animals and catch fish than it is to plant a crop and harvest. Very unreliable - you depend on too many factors!

And if there was enough water to cover the Himalayas, as you suggest, where is it now? That is a LOT of water - about 9km deep! All the ice in the world can't raise the sea levels more than you can run in 15 seconds. So there are massive stores of water underground? Then show me evidence! I know there IS water underground - but not that much.

And why do humans need stone tools - the bible says that they were 'granted' the knowledge of much more advanced weapons straight away.

How can a flood disrupt U-235 decay? If the earth was less than 600 million years old - then every single rock with U-235 should have more than half of it - and half lead. But instead, we get rocks with almost ALL lead - and about a tenth of a percent Uranium.

IF the Big Bang never happened - then how do explain CMB? How do explain the inexplicable redshift? How do you explain the absence of ANY elements save hydrogen, deuterium, tritium, helium etc. - until fairly recently? How do you explain quasars seeming to be forming NOW - when redshift says that they formed 10 billion years ago?

How do explain the fact that the Big Bang theory was FIRST PROPOSED BY THE CHURCH? Why are you trying to debunk it? (talking to creationists in general here) Why does it seem to work?

How do you explain superdisasters? I hear no mention of the many asteroids hitting earth in the bible - several million of them - that would disrupt WORLD CLIMATE. I hear no mention of the tens of asteroids - some bigger than the 'dinosaur-killer' that have peppered the earth's surface. I hear nothing about super-eruptions, but they've been happening for millions of years! I hear nothing of hurricanes, tornados, tsunamis and such. Wouldn't have God warned the people of the Earth about these dangers? All they knew about was earthquakes. And surprise! the Middle-East is known for being an earthquake prone zone.

How did the dodo survive the flood, heh? No-one had heard of it until they found it on a remote island. And surprise! evolution can explain how they got there but why they can't get out. How would a flightless bird escape a flood that covered the whole globe?

AND HOW CAN FORTY DAYS OF RAIN CONSTITUTE A GLOBAL FLOOD? The atmosphere holds an AMAZINGLY SMALL amount of the the worlds water (like, under a percent). So you're saying that rain can somehow multiply exponentially the amount of water in the ocean?

If it wasn't global, then why are you purporting all this 'evidence' that says it was?

Why are you so SELECIVE when choosing evidence - you seem to focus on carbon dating, but that's not how some very old rocks are dated. How do you explain a rock dated to 4.3 billion years in Western Australia? The flood? Don't work - zircons can survive - untounched -  ALL geologic processes - except subduction (which constitutes plate tectonics. And Australia never has HAD subduction). Remember what I said about radioactive decay? Maybe not, so I will post the answer direct from a well-regarded physics site:

"Because the radioactive half-life of a given radioisotope is not affected by temperature, physical or chemical state, or any other influence of the environment outside the nucleus save direct particle interactions with the nucleus, then radioactive samples continue to decay at a predictable rate. If determinations or reasonable estimates of the original composition of a radioactive sample can be made, then the amounts of the radioisotopes present can provide a measurement of the time elapsed." -- Hyperphysics

Add: Show me how Antarctic ice cores form. These cores are CRUCIAL to understanding climate, so don't pull the 'they're fabricated' thing on me. Show me where those coal deposits in Antarctica came from - coal can't form in a uninhabited place.

Finishing off:

So I'm afraid until you can do these two things:

1. Show me how else bacteria can develop resistance to antibiotics and develop new capabilities in a FEW YEARS. - without evolution.

2. Show me how a global flood is scientifically possible - and if not, how uranium/lead zircons can be dated wrongly - given the info I just posted.

3. Show me another, scientifically PLAUSIBLE theory that takes in ALL THE EVIDENCE and fits in with it - something creationists have never done. They are incredibly inconsistent - not giving exact evidence, not giving exact dates or info, giving very sketchy data etc.

Until you comprehensively answer these three questions, you have LOST.

EDITS: After dinner stuff... from the zircons onwards. ~Spark

This is GREAT 22 pages I love this.
Other thread hit 50 pages. Last 10 pages was just jamdude giving up, basically (topal had joined in by then)

Last edited by Spark (2006-07-13 19:00:23)

The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard