Poll

Are you a Christian?

I would like to be 50% 50% - 157 50% 50% - 157
I don't want anything to do with that! 55% 55% - 174 44% 44% - 140
Total: 314
ashleyhall
+15|6842|Somerset
First of all ashley, christians dont believe in shit
You believe in some fictional characters overseeing your life...so you're wrong on that point...

they follow God.
Need I say more? I'd rather follow Garfield...

The bible doesnt say people cant feel gay, it says not to act on it.
Well many religious figures are bumming their own students and raping/abusing small children of any sex/age, its in the news all the time, how do you comment on that?

Last edited by ashleyhall (2006-07-11 15:46:19)

Darkhelmet
cereal killer
+233|6911|the middle of nowhere

Darth_Fleder wrote:

Proud to be a Christian.
JaMDuDe
+69|6937
Ashley I doubt you even understand atheism/evolution. God is not a fictional character. Can you please show me the evidence that he is(other than you cant see him)? Its not many religious figures, its small amount of catholic priests who are doing that stuff. I dont even believe what the catholics do is right.

Last edited by JaMDuDe (2006-07-11 15:55:00)

ashleyhall
+15|6842|Somerset
Ashley I doubt you even understand atheism/evolution.
Hmmm I think I do, I strongly believe/understand it - evolution in the sense that nature and human life evolves naturally through science, not your ridiculous 'god' shite.

God is not a fictional character. Can you please show me the evidence that he is(other than you cant see him)?
What a STUPID argument...show me the proof that the monster under my bed DOESN'T exist!!! OR how about you show me the proof that god DOES exist??

Its not many religous figures
LOL, are those few not ENOUGH to see my point??? Even those that preach your silly tales are corrupt in mind and belief.
Skruples
Mod Incarnate
+234|6861

JaMDuDe wrote:

Ashley I doubt you even understand atheism/evolution. God is not a fictional character. Can you please show me the evidence that he is(other than you cant see him)? Its not many religous figures, its small amount of catholic priests who are doing that stuff. I dont even believe what the catholics do is right.
You've told us countless times that every god but your own is a fictional character. You are, by your own admission, an atheist. We just believe in one less God.

@ashley: I do not believe that insulting someones belief is a good way of getting them to realize their belief may be in error. On the contrary, I find it likely that it will just push them further into that belief as a defense mechanism.
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6850|Tampa Bay Florida
Can I ask a question?  For those of you who belive in a god, do you think of it/him/her as more of a philosophical abstract being or force, connecting all created things?  Or do you think of it as a being, which watches over us like a big brother.

I can believe in something like the first I mentioned, but when people say that god was watching over them, then it gets a little odd.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6715

JaMDuDe wrote:

Ashley I doubt you even understand atheism/evolution. God is not a fictional character. Can you please show me the evidence that he is(other than you cant see him)? Its not many religious figures, its small amount of catholic priests who are doing that stuff. I dont even believe what the catholics do is right.
JaMDuDe - I invite you to PROVE he/she/it isn't fictional.
JaMDuDe
+69|6937
Ashley, in evolution nature and human life evolves through random mutations and natural selection, not science. I see that you have no evidence that God does not exist besides your own opinion.

Cameron I invite you to PROVE he doesnt exist.

Last edited by JaMDuDe (2006-07-11 16:11:51)

Skruples
Mod Incarnate
+234|6861
If we get into another 'prove God exists/doesn't exist' argument, this well get nowhere. It is impossible. It can't be done. God is, by necessity, beyond any method of measurement or proof. Jamdude may say that he 'knows' God exists, but he is either lying to himself or lying to us. If true knowledge of His existence was possible there would be no need for faith.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6715

JaMDuDe wrote:

Ashley, in evolution nature and human life evolves through random mutations and natural selection, not science. I see that you have no evidence that God does not exist besides your own opinion.

The fact that there is NOT ONE SHRED OF EVIDENCE to suggest he/she/it does is proof enough for me! LOL

I generally deal with reality and things that can be seen, measured, etc. - tangible things. All enigma may/will be explained in good time through technological advances and the advance of the human race. 'God' can only exist in the mind.

Last edited by CameronPoe (2006-07-11 16:17:57)

Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6896|Salt Lake City

JaMDuDe wrote:

First of all ashley, christians dont believe in shit, they follow God. The bible doesnt say people cant feel gay, it says not to act on it.
I'm going to go back to the theoretical question I posed a short time ago.  If homosexuality is found to be medically caused, why would God create an imperfect being, and then doom them to suffer a life without intimate companionship, lest they go to Hell.  Seems kind of heartless to me.

Let me tell you a little story.  Many years ago when I was a teenager my sister had a friend.  They were of Hispanic background and good Catholics.  This family had 4 children.  All of them were completely normal, except for the second youngest.  I watched that kid from the time before kids understand sexuality, and I saw the signs.  That kid was going to be light in the loafers, no question about it.  Once he hit his very late teens to early 20's he came "out of the closet".

Now please, please, oh please, tell me how a child can show signs of homosexuality before they develop mentally to a point where they understand or even think about sexuality, let alone homosexuality.
marinebio
+5|6722|Easton, Pa.

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

JaMDuDe wrote:

First of all ashley, christians dont believe in shit, they follow God. The bible doesnt say people cant feel gay, it says not to act on it.
I'm going to go back to the theoretical question I posed a short time ago.  If homosexuality is found to be medically caused, why would God create an imperfect being, and then doom them to suffer a life without intimate companionship, lest they go to Hell.  Seems kind of heartless to me.

Let me tell you a little story.  Many years ago when I was a teenager my sister had a friend.  They were of Hispanic background and good Catholics.  This family had 4 children.  All of them were completely normal, except for the second youngest.  I watched that kid from the time before kids understand sexuality, and I saw the signs.  That kid was going to be light in the loafers, no question about it.  Once he hit his very late teens to early 20's he came "out of the closet".

Now please, please, oh please, tell me how a child can show signs of homosexuality before they develop mentally to a point where they understand or even think about sexuality, let alone homosexuality.
Well first off God, in His whimsicle manner, does have a sense of humor. I do not believe he put homosexuals
on this planet to make them suffer eternal damnation. I do however believe He gave them a choice. I also know a bit of scripture where two cities were destroyed and anyone in those cities were killed and anyone who left those cities and looked back were turned into pilars of salt. Why you ask were these cities destroyed?? Because of there blatant lifestyles, lack of morality and just plain being smacktards.
  Oh and by the way I am a Christian!! FTW!!!!

Secondly: A few years back I was told alcoholism was a disease and that it was passed herediteraly down the blood line of families. I have not seen or heard of any medical issues finding any gene that determines our vulnerability too alcohol none the less the same sex as partners. So with that said I believe God gives everyone the choice. Whether it be pre-teen children too adults, He see's no difference. It's up to the parent to teach good moral and ethical values to their children.

Last edited by marinebio (2006-07-11 16:30:59)

CameronPoe
+2,925|6715

marinebio wrote:

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

JaMDuDe wrote:

Well first off God, in His whimsicle manner, does have a sense of humor. I do not believe he put homosexuals
on this planet to make them suffer eternal damnation. I do however believe He gave them a choice. I also know a bit of scripture where two cities were destroyed and anyone in those cities were killed and anyone who left those cities and looked back were turned into pilars of salt. Why you ask were these cities destroyed?? Because of there blatant lifestyles, lack of morality and just plain being smacktards.

Secondly: A few years back I was told alcoholism was a disease and that it was passed herediteraly down the blood line of families. I have not seen or heard of any medical issues finding any gene that determines our vulnerability too alcohol none the less the same sex as partners. So with that said I believe God gives everyone the choice. Whether it be pre-teen children too adults, He see's no difference. It's up to the parent to teach good moral and ethical values to their children.
Bring back negative karma.
Skruples
Mod Incarnate
+234|6861
As I explained to MOG Disciple on page 12, homosexuality is not a choice and is not due to a lack of moral or spiritual fortitude. I invite you to look at the APA links I provided him on page 12 of this thread, you might learn something.

The American Psychological Association wrote:

Is Sexual Orientation a Choice?

No, human beings cannot choose to be either gay or straight. For most people, sexual orientation emerges in early adolescence without any prior sexual experience. Although we can choose whether to act on our feelings, psychologists do not consider sexual orientation to be a conscious choice that can be voluntarily changed.

Can Therapy Change Sexual Orientation?

No; even though most homosexuals live successful, happy lives, some homosexual or bisexual people may seek to change their sexual orientation through therapy, often coerced by family members or religious groups to try and do so. The reality is that homosexuality is not an illness. It does not require treatment and is not changeable. However, not all gay, lesbian, and bisexual people who seek assistance from a mental health professional want to change their sexual orientation. Gay, lesbian, and bisexual people may seek psychological help with the coming out process or for strategies to deal with prejudice, but most go into therapy for the same reasons and life issues that bring straight people to mental health professionals.

What About So-Called "Conversion Therapies"?

Some therapists who undertake so-called conversion therapy report that they have been able to change their clients' sexual orientation from homosexual to heterosexual. Close scrutiny of these reports, however. show several factors that cast doubt on their claims. For example, many of these claims come from organizations with an ideological perspective that condemns homosexuality. Furthermore, their claims are poorly documented; for example, treatment outcome is not followed and reported over time, as would be the standard to test the validity of any mental health intervention.

The American Psychological Association is concerned about such therapies and their potential harm to patients. In 1997, the Association's Council of Representatives passed a resolution reaffirming psychology's opposition to homophobia in treatment and spelling out a client's right to unbiased treatment and self-determination. Any person who enters into therapy to deal with issues of sexual orientation has a right to expect that such therapy will take place in a professionally neutral environment, without any social bias.

Is Homosexuality a Mental Illness or Emotional Problem?

No. Psychologists, psychiatrists, and other mental health professionals agree that homosexuality is not an illness, a mental disorder, or an emotional problem. More than 35 years of objective, well-designed scientific research has shown that homosexuality, in and itself, is not associated with mental disorders or emotional or social problems. Homosexuality was once thought to be a mental illness because mental health professionals and society had biased information.

In the past, the studies of gay, lesbian, and bisexual people involved only those in therapy, thus biasing the resulting conclusions. When researchers examined data about such people who were not in therapy, the idea that homosexuality was a mental illness was quickly found to be untrue.

In 1973 the American Psychiatric Association confirmed the importance of the new, better-designed research and removed homosexuality from the official manual that lists mental and emotional disorders. Two years later, the American Psychological Association passed a resolution supporting this removal.

For more than 25 years, both associations have urged all mental health professionals to help dispel the stigma of mental illness that some people still associate with homosexual orientation.
http://www.apahelpcenter.org/articles/article.php?id=31

The American Psychological Association wrote:

Mental Health of Lesbians and Gay Men

The psychiatric, psychological, and social-work professions do not consider homosexual orientation to be a mental disorder. More than 20 years ago, the American Psychiatric Association removed "homosexuality" from its list of mental disorders, stating that "homosexuality per se implies no impairment in judgment, stability, reliability, or general social or vocational capabilities" (American Psychiatric Association, 1980). In 1975, the American Psychological Association took the same position and urged all mental health professionals to help dispel the stigma of mental illness that had long been associated with homosexual orientation (American Psychological Association, 1975). The National Association of Social Workers has a similar policy (National Association of Social Workers, 1994).

The decision to remove homosexual orientation from the list of mental disorders reflects the results of extensive research, conducted over three decades, showing that homosexual orientation is not a psychological maladjustment
http://www.apa.org/pi/parent.html

You can choose to believe that homosexuality is a choice and is immoral, but the weight of decades of research shows you to be wrong.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6835|Canberra, AUS
I'm sorry, but Purgatory makes no sense.

By my understanding, Purgatory is for the erasing of sins that are not intentional. HOWEVER, shouldn't THESE sins be forgiven?
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6835|Canberra, AUS

JaMDuDe wrote:

I see that you have decided to take our advice in guarded quantities, but you remain very confused.

Evolution IS science.

It was pput foward by a scientist. It was hypothesized through scientific measures. It was revised through scientific measures. IT has stood up to scientific tests. I don't think you can get any more 'scientific' than that.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
JaMDuDe
+69|6937
Evolution is science. Thats not what i ment.  Ashley said life evolved through science. Life did not evolve through the observation, identification, description, experimental investigation, and theoretical explanation of phenomena.

Cameron, theres not a shred of evidence that shows he doesnt exist. There is evidence that he exists. He sent his son here about 2000 years ago and Jesus was prophecied about hundreds of years before he came. Irreducible complexity, YOUR consciousness, the impossibility of spontaneous generation, the perfection and order of everything and more all point to a creator. He gave you free will and it all comes down to YOUR choice.
flyinhawaiian91
+13|6802|cali usa

=SoG=PredatoR wrote:

Darth_Fleder wrote:

Proud to be a Christian.
Right there with you.
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAA BOY CHRISTIAN
CameronPoe
+2,925|6715

JaMDuDe wrote:

Evolution is science. Thats not what i ment.  Ashley said life evolved through science. Life did not evolve through the observation, identification, description, experimental investigation, and theoretical explanation of phenomena.

Cameron, theres not a shred of evidence that shows he doesnt exist. There is evidence that he exists. He sent his son here about 2000 years ago and Jesus was prophecied about hundreds of years before he came. Irreducible complexity, YOUR consciousness, the impossibility of spontaneous generation, the perfection and order of everything and more all point to a creator. He gave you free will and it all comes down to YOUR choice.
That is laughable. Evidence my ringpiece!!! Oh yeah he sent his son to us here on planet earth - how'd he get here? Taxi from heaven? F*ckin hell. I wonder how Joseph reacted when the 'virgin' Mary told him she was up the duff!? LOL. If you think some crazy preacher spouting something about him being the 'son of god' consitutes evidence then you've got problems. What makes JC any better than that wacko in Waco?

Fairytale metaphorical accounts of stuff that happened millennia ago just don't cut it. The fact that a lot of the incidents described defy logic, reason and common sense would suggest to me that it needs to be taken with a MAJOR pinch of salt.

Prophesied? The works of Nostradamus are proof alone that any crackpot can fit a prohpecy to an event when it suits them.

PS Nobody gave me jackshit.

Last edited by CameronPoe (2006-07-12 00:55:54)

ashleyhall
+15|6842|Somerset
Absolutely, Evolution IS science, the Christians and other religions conveniently adopted the term to suit...as with pretty much every aspect of their beliefs.

This whole 'prove he doesn't exist' thing....come on guys get real, there's not a SHRED of tangible evidence to prove he ever existed, its a load of made up shit, how can ANYONE believe in such rubbish??

Flying Pink Elephants exist...PROVE ME WRONG?

God is, by necessity, beyond any method of measurement or proof
Thats just a way of avoiding having to explain any scientific or realistic reasoning behind your pathetic beliefs. Why do the religious always avoid direct answers to the simplest questions? or instead providing swollen illrelevant paragraphs of nonsense that still tend to avoid a direct answer?
oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6679|Πάϊ
JaMDuDe if you ask the greatest theologists and priests and all those who believe in god they will tell you that there are NO evidence of his existence, and that when it comes to god you must not ask for evidence for it is a matter of BELIEF. Indeed both sides agree that there are no hard evidence that god exists, not even in the scriptures. Difference is that scientists are looking in fact for evidence whereas theologists do not base their opinion upon them.

If you think about it, this whole science vs god thing is just a clash between two kinds of people: those who act their lives based on belief, and those who do not.

I myself prefer to live my life based on what I know for a fact. As far as god is concerned for example, I cannot say whether he exists or not. BUT, as long as he doesn't appear in front of me, as long as I possess no proof that he is here,I am inclined to live my life as though he does not exist. Nevertheless, I can understand the need of the less fortunate than me to believe that there is somebody out there who will put them out of their misery somehow. After all, hope dies last. But all in all, belief is nothing more than a desperate man's final defense mechanism.

If we all lived our lives based on what we know for a fact rather than what we believe, the world would be a better place.
ƒ³
spastic bullet
would like to know if you are on crack
+77|6701|vancouver

marinebio wrote:

I guess that is pretty whimsical.

Although I always say, you don't know Sodom and Gomorrah until you've seen Lego Sodom and Gomorrah.  My favourite part is where Lot offers his virgin daughters to the crowd.

For lo, Lot was a righteous man, beloved by Yahweh, and doth knew how to party.  A bit too much, really.

CAUTION: Links to biblical content.
Smitty5613
+46|6687|Middle of nowhere, California

ashleyhall wrote:

You believe in some fictional characters overseeing your life...so you're wrong on that point...
ashley.. have u ever thought that maybe God isnt fictional, or is ur head shoved up ur ass too far to understand

they follow God.
go ahead feel free to follow garfield, snoopy, or beetle bailey...

Well many religious figures are bumming their own students and raping/abusing small children of any sex/age, its in the news all the time, how do you comment on that?
those are catholics... they are goin to hell anyways
Smitty5613

Smitty5613 wrote:

ashleyhall wrote:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ashley.. have u ever thought that maybe God isnt fictional, or is ur head shoved up ur ass too far to understand

they follow God.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
go ahead feel free to follow garfield, snoopy, or beetle bailey...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
those are catholics... they are goin to hell anyways
lol i needed to edit
Smitty5613

ashleyhall wrote:

Absolutely, Evolution IS science, the Christians and other religions conveniently adopted the term to suit...as with pretty much every aspect of their beliefs.

This whole 'prove he doesn't exist' thing....come on guys get real, there's not a SHRED of tangible evidence to prove he ever existed, its a load of made up shit, how can ANYONE believe in such rubbish??

Flying Pink Elephants exist...PROVE ME WRONG?

God is, by necessity, beyond any method of measurement or proof
Thats just a way of avoiding having to explain any scientific or realistic reasoning behind your pathetic beliefs. Why do the religious always avoid direct answers to the simplest questions? or instead providing swollen illrelevant paragraphs of nonsense that still tend to avoid a direct answer?
and by the way... evolution is not a science its a religion itself... it says there is no creator, and other religions say there is.... i depends on your viewpoint, if u have an IQ of 50 or less, then evolution is a science and not a religion

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard