I would like to be 50% 50% - 157 50% 50% - 157
I don't want anything to do with that! 55% 55% - 174 44% 44% - 140
Total: 314
MOG Disciple
+8|6678|Wisconsin

Shifty wrote:

MOG Disciple wrote:

G3|Genius

If you belive in pergatory what is the point in being a Christian?  Why give your life to Christ if you get to go to Purgatory?  Like you said lets not debate I just want to know why you belive in pergatory. As you can tell im not catholic.
There is no where in the Bible that there is a pergatory theres Heaven and hell thats it. I just like to know where you catholics get pergatory from?
Yes that is a good question.
Marconius
One-eyed Wonder Mod
+368|6854|San Francisco
Thank you G3|Genius!  Great post there...now if only more "christians" would follow said logic...
Darth_Fleder
Mod from the Church of the Painful Truth
+533|6966|Orlando, FL - Age 43

SealXo wrote:

FUCK YOU id neg you 500 days in a row if i could idiot, dont post religion shit on forums go to a fucking religious site and post this shit
'Flaming' (personal attacks) are not well received on these forums.

Read the rules, thoroughly.

Any post you make should directly contribute to the forum.
Respect the site, staff, and members.
Help maintain a fun and friendly atmosphere by using your best judgment and granting people the benefit of the doubt when taking place in discussions.
Never engage in personal attacks. Ever

...to name a few
MOG Disciple
+8|6678|Wisconsin

Marconius wrote:

Thank you G3|Genius!  Great post there...now if only more "christians" would follow said logic...
What logic, purgatory is made up from what?  How could one believe or not believe in the Bible but still believe in purgatory?  Someone needs to tell me where the Catholics came up with this.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,977|6792|949

MOG Disciple wrote:

Marconius wrote:

What logic, purgatory is made up from what?  How could one believe or not believe in the Bible but still believe in purgatory?  Someone needs to tell me where the Catholics came up with this.
I think he's talking about the entirety of the article, not one little point that you don't agree with.  The bible is exactly what you said - Something you believe in.  Is this how petty you are?  You are both Christian, but he does not believe in the Christian Thought you do, so you take offense to that?
Erkut.hv
+124|6895|California

MOG Disciple wrote:

Marconius wrote:

"a place or condition of temporal punishment for those who, departing this life in God's grace are not entirely free from venial faults, or have not fully paid the satisfaction due to their transgressions"

It is, by its own definition, heresy.

If you call yourself a Christian, you know that once you die, that's it. There is no making up for it. You are either saved, or you aren't. No make-up exams are allowed, and nobody can pray for your soul. You are either with Him after you die, or you aren't, it's that simple.
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6896|Salt Lake City

Shifty wrote:

MOG Disciple wrote:

G3|Genius

If you belive in pergatory what is the point in being a Christian?  Why give your life to Christ if you get to go to Purgatory?  Like you said lets not debate I just want to know why you belive in pergatory. As you can tell im not catholic.
There is no where in the Bible that there is a pergatory theres Heaven and hell thats it. I just like to know where you catholics get pergatory from?
http://www.catholic.com/library/Purgatory.asp

Some Fundamentalists also charge, as though it actually proved something, "The word purgatory is nowhere found in Scripture." This is true, and yet it does not disprove the existence of purgatory or the fact that belief in it has always been part of Church teaching. The words Trinity and Incarnation aren’t in Scripture either, yet those doctrines are clearly taught in it. Likewise, Scripture teaches that purgatory exists, even if it doesn’t use that word and even if 1 Peter 3:19 refers to a place other than purgatory.

Christ refers to the sinner who "will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come" (Matt. 12:32), suggesting that one can be freed after death of the consequences of one’s sins. Similarly, Paul tells us that, when we are judged, each man’s work will be tried. And what happens if a righteous man’s work fails the test? "He will suffer loss, though he himself will be saved, but only as through fire" (1 Cor 3:15). Now this loss, this penalty, can’t refer to consignment to hell, since no one is saved there; and heaven can’t be meant, since there is no suffering ("fire") there. The Catholic doctrine of purgatory alone explains this passage.

Then, of course, there is the Bible’s approval of prayers for the dead: "In doing this he acted in a very excellent and noble way, inasmuch as he had the resurrection of the dead in view; for if he were not expecting the dead to rise again, it would have been useless and foolish to pray for them in death. But if he did this with a view to the splendid reward that awaits those who had gone to rest in godliness, it was a holy and pious thought. Thus he made atonement for the dead that they might be freed from this sin" (2 Macc. 12:43–45). Prayers are not needed by those in heaven, and no one can help those in hell. That means some people must be in a third condition, at least temporarily. This verse so clearly illustrates the existence of purgatory that, at the time of the Reformation, Protestants had to cut the books of the Maccabees out of their Bibles in order to avoid accepting the doctrine.

Prayers for the dead and the consequent doctrine of purgatory have been part of the true religion since before the time of Christ. Not only can we show it was practiced by the Jews of the time of the Maccabees, but it has even been retained by Orthodox Jews today, who recite a prayer known as the Mourner’s Kaddish for eleven months after the death of a loved one so that the loved one may be purified. It was not the Catholic Church that added the doctrine of purgatory. Rather, any change in the original teaching has taken place in the Protestant churches, which rejected a doctrine that had always been believed by Jews and Christians.
Hodge729
+0|6660
nope....  "God is an imaginary friend for grown-ups" -Morgan Freeman- The Big Bounce
Erkut.hv
+124|6895|California
More pressing than that, why do Catholics pray to the Virgin Mary?

Edit: Or any other Saint for that matter?

Last edited by Erkut.hv (2006-07-11 11:40:49)

MOG Disciple
+8|6678|Wisconsin

ashleyhall wrote:

p.s. For the religious of you out there, explain Tsunami...earthquakes....disease...war...murder...death of loved ones...The DEVIL? Yeah...whatever!!
That all just happens you can't expect to take God out of the picture and say he doesn't exist and expect Him to answer your prayers.  He hears all sometimes He says NO. 

As for the Devil he was a top Angel before he tried to take over.
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6896|Salt Lake City

MOG Disciple wrote:

ashleyhall wrote:

p.s. For the religious of you out there, explain Tsunami...earthquakes....disease...war...murder...death of loved ones...The DEVIL? Yeah...whatever!!
That all just happens you can't expect to take God out of the picture and say he doesn't exist and expect Him to answer your prayers.  He hears all sometimes He says NO. 

MOGD, you wanted to know about Purgatory, and I provided you with an answer, but you have yet to respond.

My question isn't about earthquakes, tsunamis, etc., but I have one a little more specific.  Why if you all believe in the same God, and you reference the same book, do we have so many different Christian factions.  Why do we have the Roman Catholics, Greek Orthodox, Baptists, Southern Baptists, Prodestant, Presbiterian, JWs, 7th Day Adventists, Mormons, etc.

I understand there are certain points on which all of these factions agree, but if there weren't so many differences there wouldn't be a need for them, it would be a unified church of all Christians.
Erkut.hv
+124|6895|California

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

MOG Disciple wrote:

ashleyhall wrote:

MOGD, you wanted to know about Purgatory, and I provided you with an answer, but you have yet to respond.

My question isn't about earthquakes, tsunamis, etc., but I have one a little more specific.  Why if you all believe in the same God, and you reference the same book, do we have so many different Christian factions.  Why do we have the Roman Catholics, Greek Orthodox, Baptists, Southern Baptists, Prodestant, Presbiterian, JWs, 7th Day Adventists, Mormons, etc.

I understand there are certain points on which all of these factions agree, but if there weren't so many differences there wouldn't be a need for them, it would be a unified church of all Christians.
Because people couldn't just let the book speak for itself, they had to start creating their own dogma's (sp?) because they feel it should be read this wayt, or that way.

All of the diferences are man made, for whatever reason.

Many will be lead astray by false doctrine, false teachings, even revelations speaks of this.

That's why I have no denomination, I simply believe in Christ and the Bible. If you don't, eh, more power to ya. Erk quote: We'll see who's right in the end.
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6896|Salt Lake City

Erkut.hv wrote:

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

MOG Disciple wrote:

My question isn't about earthquakes, tsunamis, etc., but I have one a little more specific.  Why if you all believe in the same God, and you reference the same book, do we have so many different Christian factions.  Why do we have the Roman Catholics, Greek Orthodox, Baptists, Southern Baptists, Protestant, Presbyterian, JWs, 7th Day Adventists, Mormons, etc.

Because people couldn't just let the book speak for itself, they had to start creating their own dogma's (sp?) because they feel it should be read this wayt, or that way.

All of the diferences are man made, for whatever reason.

Many will be lead astray by false doctrine, false teachings, even revelations speaks of this.

That's why I have no denomination, I simply believe in Christ and the Bible. If you don't, eh, more power to ya. Erk quote: We'll see who's right in the end.
Agreed, but why is there a difference of opinion on interpretation?  Possibly because some of the Bible is cryptic at best?  Why did God leave the spreading of his word to imperfect beings, prone to getting things wrong?  Are we sure that the imperfect people that wrote this stuff got it right?

Why did God not make himself known to all people at the same time?  Why did it happen where it did?  What was so special about that area of the middle east?  You do realize that there were people that hadn't heard of God or Jesus for hundreds of years after all of this happened, until later in history when explorers finally found North/South American continents.

If God wanted people to follow his words, without misunderstanding, why doesn't he make himself known to everyone, at the same time, and not through some "chosen" people that always seem to say they've seen/heard him?  Why not write down the rules himself, with his own hand, to make sure there is no misunderstanding?
G3|Genius
Pope of BF2s
+355|6786|Sea to globally-cooled sea

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

Shifty wrote:

MOG Disciple wrote:

G3|Genius

Some Fundamentalists also charge, as though it actually proved something, "The word purgatory is nowhere found in Scripture." This is true, and yet it does not disprove the existence of purgatory or the fact that belief in it has always been part of Church teaching. The words Trinity and Incarnation aren’t in Scripture either, yet those doctrines are clearly taught in it. Likewise, Scripture teaches that purgatory exists, even if it doesn’t use that word and even if 1 Peter 3:19 refers to a place other than purgatory.

Christ refers to the sinner who "will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come" (Matt. 12:32), suggesting that one can be freed after death of the consequences of one’s sins. Similarly, Paul tells us that, when we are judged, each man’s work will be tried. And what happens if a righteous man’s work fails the test? "He will suffer loss, though he himself will be saved, but only as through fire" (1 Cor 3:15). Now this loss, this penalty, can’t refer to consignment to hell, since no one is saved there; and heaven can’t be meant, since there is no suffering ("fire") there. The Catholic doctrine of purgatory alone explains this passage.

Then, of course, there is the Bible’s approval of prayers for the dead: "In doing this he acted in a very excellent and noble way, inasmuch as he had the resurrection of the dead in view; for if he were not expecting the dead to rise again, it would have been useless and foolish to pray for them in death. But if he did this with a view to the splendid reward that awaits those who had gone to rest in godliness, it was a holy and pious thought. Thus he made atonement for the dead that they might be freed from this sin" (2 Macc. 12:43–45). Prayers are not needed by those in heaven, and no one can help those in hell. That means some people must be in a third condition, at least temporarily. This verse so clearly illustrates the existence of purgatory that, at the time of the Reformation, Protestants had to cut the books of the Maccabees out of their Bibles in order to avoid accepting the doctrine.

Prayers for the dead and the consequent doctrine of purgatory have been part of the true religion since before the time of Christ. Not only can we show it was practiced by the Jews of the time of the Maccabees, but it has even been retained by Orthodox Jews today, who recite a prayer known as the Mourner’s Kaddish for eleven months after the death of a loved one so that the loved one may be purified. It was not the Catholic Church that added the doctrine of purgatory. Rather, any change in the original teaching has taken place in the Protestant churches, which rejected a doctrine that had always been believed by Jews and Christians.
Brilliant!

the fact is, Heaven is as much a place as it as a state of existence: perfection.  When we die, we are not yet perfect and therefore not prepared for heaven.  True, we are forgiven of our sins, we believe this as Christians......

Christ is where Justice and Mercy kiss.
We are forgiven through Christ's mercy, as every sin we have ever committed we committed against Him.  However, mercy does not mean amnesty.  Because God is infinitely just, we need to be purged of our sin as well as forgiven.

Think of our souls as a chalkboard.  Every time we commit a sin a mark is made on the chalkboard.  Christ came and forgave us, and erased all our marks.  That is forgiveness.  When we are purged in the cleansing flame of purgatory, that prepares us to be perfect for the kingdom of heaven.  It's the same as when, at the end of the day, the teacher washes the chalkboard with a sponge and soapy water.

As with all analogies, it can only be taken so far, but I tried to illustrate it well.  The bottom line is, God is more than mercy.  He is justice as well.
G3|Genius
Pope of BF2s
+355|6786|Sea to globally-cooled sea

ashleyhall wrote:

I wrote on this in another forum several months ago.

In that forum the question that came up was the point of our existence, and someone said, how can you say there is a god when all this bad shit happens all the time in the world?

This is what I wrote, and it pertains to this discussion:

First, let me establish myself.  I am a 24 year old business owner.  I own an arcade in sussex county, NJ.  I graduated Cum Laude from Seton Hall University with a double major in Religious Studies and Catholic Studies.  My wife, whom I met as a freshman there, was a chemistry major and now teaches AP chemistry at Paramus Catholic high school.  Because of our majors being religion and science, I wrote my Senior thesis paper on precisely that: religion and science...specifically Creationism (Genesis) vs. Evolution (Darwin).  I have done a massive amount of research from both sides of the perspective because I did not approach the issue to prove or disprove, but to objectively come to a conclusion.

I have found, when it comes to religion, particularly to Christians of faith, you need not approach educating yourself on an issue from the "I need to prove myself right" perspective, because you will find that if your research is thorough and honest, you will probably find that there is no incongruities.

I am a Roman Catholic Christian, which differs from Fundamentalist Christians several ways, the most relevant being that we do not believe the Bible is the ONLY source of Christ's teaching.  We believe that everything in the bible is true IN MATTERS OF FAITH AND MORALS, but we do not believe that it is a science book, nor a history book.  It is a book of faith and of love.  If you disagree with me, read the first three chapters of Genesis.  There are two creation stories, and they CLEARLY contradict each other: the first creation story Man was created first, and in the second creation story (adam and eve) man was created last.

I could go on forever about religion and science.  I love the subject and I have studied it extensively.  However, I think the question that needs to be addressed is, what is the point of our lives; what is the point of our existence?

In short, the answer is, to love.  That is what Jesus says: "I give you a new commandment: that you love one another as I have loved you" (John: 13:34).  This is what the creation is about.  St. John says in his first epistle "God is love" (1 John 4:8).  By logic, Love created this world.  This may be difficult to understand, particularly with the initial premise that started this long thread: how can one believe in God with all the suffering in the world?

Have you ever wondered why God put the tree of knowledge of Good and Evil in the garden?  The answer is, to give us the choice to love God or to not love God.  If the choice to not love God were not present to us, then loving God would be no accomplishment.  Regardless of whether that tree ever grew in a garden named Eden, the truth that the story represents is real.  We have a choice to love God.  Some choose to love God.  Many choose not to.  And if you think about it, even if you do not believe that a talking snake convinced a woman to eat a piece of fruit, our suffering that we experience can all be traced back to some choice to love something other than God more than God Himself.  Be it our own choice, or that of people we know, or even a decision people made decades or centuries ago.

For suffering, the bottom line is this: that we all affect each other.  For a true believer, suffering, although by its nature is unpleasant, is a blessing, because for the same reason that God gave us the option to love Him or not love Him in the Garden of Eden, when we experience suffering we have the opportunity to make a very deliberate choice to love God or to hate God.  And our one life on this earth gives us the opportunity to make that choice through the decisions we make and the actions we take to love God by loving one another, or not to.

Boy I love this stuff
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6896|Salt Lake City

G3|Genius wrote:

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

Shifty wrote:

Brilliant!

the fact is, Heaven is as much a place as it as a state of existence: perfection.  When we die, we are not yet perfect and therefore not prepared for heaven.  True, we are forgiven of our sins, we believe this as Christians......

Christ is where Justice and Mercy kiss.
We are forgiven through Christ's mercy, as every sin we have ever committed we committed against Him.  However, mercy does not mean amnesty.  Because God is infinitely just, we need to be purged of our sin as well as forgiven.

Think of our souls as a chalkboard.  Every time we commit a sin a mark is made on the chalkboard.  Christ came and forgave us, and erased all our marks.  That is forgiveness.  When we are purged in the cleansing flame of purgatory, that prepares us to be perfect for the kingdom of heaven.  It's the same as when, at the end of the day, the teacher washes the chalkboard with a sponge and soapy water.

As with all analogies, it can only be taken so far, but I tried to illustrate it well.  The bottom line is, God is more than mercy.  He is justice as well.
Don't give me too much credit.  I'm familiar with the term, but didn't really understand the full concept of Purgatory.  I simply did a Google search, and with some quick reading found the site I linked addressed questions to Purgatory not being mentioned in the scriptures.  From there it was cut and paste.

Unlike Ken Jennings, I didn't grow up in a religious household with a parent that was a religious scholar, so much of my direct stuff are things I researched as the topics arose.

I was baptized into the Mormon church many, many years ago when I was younger, but I found I did it because the majority of people in Utah are Mormon, and was trying to fit in.  I also found their hypocrisy, and two faced, back stabbing habits unbearable.  I left the church not long after.
ashleyhall
+15|6842|Somerset
Frankly, I cannot believe in the intelligent day and age within which we exist that people still believe this completely ridiculous shit - if I were to state that pink elephants flew past my house the other day, you'd laugh...its just as ridiculous as the notion that some dude called Jesus and God exist, watching everyone and their actions...

...how can ANY religious person justify a loved one dying from Cancer by calling it a blessing? Sounds like more of the same naive SHIT that religious fools have been preaching for TOO MANY YEARS.

Look at WAR, how many of our major wars have been fought SIMPLY due to religion or a differing view on versions of the ever so popular fiction novel...'The Bible'!!!

Oh...and who was the bible written by?

It annoys me that people still believe this absolute utter bullshit, I am just speechless that people of such intelligence can actually live and breath according to the 'Bible'.

Ohhh dear...time to boot up Battlefields and send some idiots to 'hell'    ;o)

p.s. I'd rather go to hell, I've heard its hotter.

Last edited by ashleyhall (2006-07-11 14:27:11)

JaMDuDe
+69|6937
I dont think any religious people consider a loved one dying from cancer a blessing. Besides the crusades not many major wars have been fought because of the bible. The bible was written by about 40 different people on 3 continents over 1500 years.
^*AlphA*^
F*ckers
+3,135|6898|The Hague, Netherlands

Im not, I'm not with any relegion !
https://bf3s.com/sigs/36eac2cb6af70a43508fd8d1c93d3201f4e23435.png
Anfidurl
Use the bumper, that's what its for!
+103|6753|Lexington, Kentucky

MOG Disciple wrote:

But God isn't Infallable. Hence God either:
A) Created a flawed, power-hungry angel on purpose...
or
B) Is infallable, and everything else in Christianity falls apart.

See? You are being used.
Skruples
Mod Incarnate
+234|6861

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

MOG Disciple wrote:

ashleyhall wrote:

Disciple seems to have a habit of ignoring arguments he is incapable of responding to. That is my opinion at least, as he has yet to respond to the last few comments regarding homosexuality.
ashleyhall
+15|6842|Somerset
They are being used, Anfidurl you're completely right - its a massive cult that unfortunately has much of the world (the UK are slowly wising up the reality fortunately) under its spell, Christianity and other religions are no better than the Waci Texas cult some years back - sucking in the gullable, the weak and those with nothing in their life worthing following other than some pathetic little book that some random geezer concocted perhaps whilst tipsy or smoking something he shouldn't have been.

Get real guys, how can you genuinely preach and believe this stuff? I'm laughing to myself now, its all just so completely pathetic and naive!!!!!!

p.s. Ohhhh, think God just floated past, didn't bother to wave...
Skruples
Mod Incarnate
+234|6861

ashleyhall wrote:

They are being used, Anfidurl you're completely right - its a massive cult that unfortunately has much of the world (the UK are slowly wising up the reality fortunately) under its spell, Christianity and other religions are no better than the Waci Texas cult some years back - sucking in the gullable, the weak and those with nothing in their life worthing following other than some pathetic little book that some random geezer concocted perhaps whilst tipsy or smoking something he shouldn't have been.

Get real guys, how can you genuinely preach and believe this stuff? I'm laughing to myself now, its all just so completely pathetic and naive!!!!!!

p.s. Ohhhh, think God just floated past, didn't bother to wave...
There is no need for that. While I agree with you in spirit I also respect their right to believe whatever they wish. Insulting them or their beliefs will accomplish nothing. What I do not respect is the attempt on the part of some christians to force their beliefs on others, specifically the recent intelligent design movement. Religion has no place in public schools.
ashleyhall
+15|6842|Somerset
Insulting them or their beliefs will accomplish nothing.
I disagree, it may push those not yet entirely 'under' to reconsider their life and realise that they don't NEED to believe in some made up shit to enjoy their life and future. Religion is for losers that lack the life, motivation, enthusiasm and common sense to live their lives themselves.

Oh, and what about gay relationships? I thought according to the good 'ole reliable 'Bible' it was strictly against any religion?? JUST LOOK at the number of GAY priests coming out and finding a convenience 'loophole' to make their hobby accepted by the big mighty invisible 'father'!!

What a crock of convenient shit...Religion is for losers without a life of their own.

Last edited by ashleyhall (2006-07-11 15:36:22)

JaMDuDe
+69|6937
First of all ashley, christians dont believe in shit, they follow God. The bible doesnt say people cant feel gay, it says not to act on it.

Last edited by JaMDuDe (2006-07-11 15:41:42)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard